Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mierenneuker posted:

Shadow Dragon is the DS remake of the original, right? Why is it ranked much lower than the modern games?

It's a faithful remake of a game from before designers knew how to make good games, it has ugly art, and features possibly the worst method of recruiting characters in the entire history of gaming--you access gaiden chapters by having below 15 units remaining alive in your army. The idea being that you would follow the assumptions the designers of the original FE1 made, that you wouldn't restart for dead people, and would refill your ranks with the copious lategame prepromotes. The gaidens take it a step further, by giving you additional experience and characters if you're doing really poorly, but it means that if you want to play those maps or recruit those characters, you have to send your entire army into the meatgrinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

cheetah7071 posted:

It's a faithful remake of a game from before designers knew how to make good games, it has ugly art, and features possibly the worst method of recruiting characters in the entire history of gaming--you access gaiden chapters by having below 15 units remaining alive in your army. The idea being that you would follow the assumptions the designers of the original FE1 made, that you wouldn't restart for dead people, and would refill your ranks with the copious lategame prepromotes. The gaidens take it a step further, by giving you additional experience and characters if you're doing really poorly, but it means that if you want to play those maps or recruit those characters, you have to send your entire army into the meatgrinder.

the art in shadow dragon is so bad, it's hard to believe anyone could get it so wrong

"let's take pixel and hand-drawn art and replace it with pre-rendered 3d spriteblobs" is something most game studios got over in the early 2000s, it's hard to believe Nintendo would do it in 2008

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The talking head sprites are alright, as are the CGs, but it's just ludicrous that a real human being looked at the battle animations and said "yes this is what I want my game to look like"

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I wouldn't know, I play every Fire Emblem game with the battle animations turned off. :smug:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

cheetah7071 posted:

I think you mean subject them to the Trial by Devil Axe. :black101:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/tecchen/status/828366756624347141

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Do we know when we're getting the 10,000 feathers?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
General Rules
  • All waifus and husbandos are worthy of love and affection, but not all are created equal.

• In PvP, enemy team is full of trash-tier waifus while yours are amazing, even if they have similar characters. Kill indiscriminately.

• While at least one younger imoto that you can feel protective of (i.e. young Tiki or Fae) is recommended, too many imotos will ruin the appeal of being called onii-chan. Likewise, an abundance of lolis in your harem risks you getting called a lolicon, so use younger sibling characters in moderation.

• Preference for certain physical characteristics (strong shoulders, big bust, nice thighs, etc.) is permissible, but like lolis, treat in moderation. A team such as Camilla/Kagero/adult Tiki/Tharja may be tempting if you're a fan of busts, but the abundance of chest flesh will make people lose eye contact, and ruin the appeal of your gorgeous waifu's/husbando's other appeals, such as engaging smiles or stoic personalities.
(Due to abundance of waifus and husbandos in game, guide will focus mostly on higher-tier waifu/husbando units, or units that offer some unique strategic appeal to your harem.)

S Tier
  • Azura - gives extra turns to your other harem, cool water dancing cinematic

• Camilla - overly-protective onee-chan, sensual but also a bit sadistic, very ample charm

• Corrin - nice hair, cool robes, dragon hype, two genders for harem planning (!!)

• Hector - tall, dark, handsome , big shoulders, encourages you, tanky for the rest of your harem

• Lucina - tall and pretty, blue hair, friendly and warm demeanor, travels through time to make ordering food easy

• Lyn - confident, Galeforce, low-key big boobs under those robes but she doesn't feel the need to flaunt it

• Robin - funny, smart, available in two genders for your harem planning needs (!!)

• Ryoma - crazy hair, confident, big sword and armor for anyone who threatens your harem

• Sakura - doting younger sister, cute-as-heck pixie haircut, fatty heals for when you're feeling down

• Tharja - yandere waifu so into you it's actually scary, rockin assets, body stocking, curses enemy waifus and husbandos

• Tiki (young) - imoto for you to protect, older form proves you will in time be amply rewarded for protecting her ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). Also, dragon.
A Tier
  • Abel - hunky build, not afraid of showing those muscles, refined grey hair if you're into older husbandos

• Anna - redhead, reminds everyone of a certain omnipresent merchant

• Cordelia - redhead, elegant, intelligent, affectionate, weird affinity for taming wyverns

• Effie - pink hair, matching armor, quiet but watches your back

• Felicia - maid uniform!, cute ponytail, very devoted

• Henry - crazy husbando is crazy, good at riding horses, funny

• Jakob - butler uniform!, nicely-slicked hair, very devoted

• Lon'qu - basically a NEET but actually good with swords instead of just thinking he's good with swords because he watches anime

• Marth - heroic, leader-type, dreamy eyes, fetching hair

• Olivia - lacks confidence and needs protection, extra turns for your harem, nice harem outfit already included

• Saizo - silent, stoic, will hella watch your back, low-key affectionate

• Tiki (adult) - divine dragon = immortal love, pointy ears for elf appeal, nice curves but doesn't come off as slutty
B Tier
  • Arthur - less hero than he imagines, but it's funny and he plays it off well

• Fae - even more imoto version of Tiki. Dragon stuff also. Meh. Just get Tiki.

• Gaius - thief with heart of gold, likes candy. Cool headband.

• Lissa - kid sister needs watching over, tomboy, cute pig-tails

• Nowi - Nintendo really seems to have a thing for making all of their dragons into lolis. At least she's cute and kinda funny.

• Odin - little crazy without going overboard, dark mage = male slut-wear, slender but still muscular if you're into boy-band types

• Olivia - extra turns for your harem. Lacks confidence, needs your protection.

• Roy - hero like Marth but got the younger appeal
Trash Tier
  • Takumi - acts like a punk, kills all your harem, stupid pineapple hair

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
zen death robot please change my name to "too many imotos will ruin the appeal of being called onii-chan"

zdr pls

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Oh wow, Shadow Dragon is that bad, eh? I can definitely understand the disappointment. Thank you all for the explanation

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Well, is this a good reroll to keep, this?

Lyn 5*, Robin 3*, Marth 4*, Raven 4* and 3* Fir.

My previous reroll with Takumi was lost to the winds.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
People talking about the lack of content must be new to mobile/gacha games, because you're describing literally every game in the genre at launch. This isn't PAD or other 3-4 year old mobile games you've just come across.

Paul Zuvella posted:

yeah, there are a lot of holes in their model right now. 5 stamina a pop to change skills is ridiculous. Right now, the training towers give a bad amount of XP per run at half cost. They will be borderline useless afterwords.

Due to their random nature, the towers are going to be terrible for XP and should only be run for emblems unless you get a crazy matchup. IE: you're leveling an axe user and there's a tower +0-4 levels above your axe user and it's mostly/all spear users.

Otherwise you have the very real risk of getting some crazy bullshit comps that'll likely kill the unit(s) you want to get xp on, at high levels anyways. While grinding story maps for similar stamina costs means you'll know exactly what you're facing every time without fail.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
isn't there an experience malus for re-clearing a story mode map

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I been playing arena for a few days but haven't gotten any thing from defending, an I missing something?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

dragon enthusiast posted:

I been playing arena for a few days but haven't gotten any thing from defending, an I missing something?

That means your team isn't beating anybody. This isn't too surprising since the dumbass AI is controlling your team and you presumably don't have a full whale setup

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Selena belongs in at least A tier

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Once you've gotten a high enough score in a season and feel satisfied, you could spend any remaining charges on going into a fight and surrendering so you can give your fellow man some feathers

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Friend wise does team lead matter for anything?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

"If you must be horny for the fire emblems, at least don't pretend they're your siblings, please." I cry into the unhearing abyss

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
:siren: IF you're running missions to clear them for objectives keep in mind that they can have requirements such as units 3 or less units, or bringing a unit like Alphonse.:siren:

Don't be the guy who runs 2-1 and 2-5 because he didn't actually read the text. :smith:

Thundercracker posted:

The lack of stamina upgrades is super baffling. Literally every other gacha I've seen has a player level system. I really wonder what was the logic behind bucking the mold.

This isn't the first game I've seen that uses a fixed amount of stamina, the other games I saw with it (like Dragon Blaze) are utter garbage and terribly grindy in ways this game can't even begin to compare. Anyone who's morbidly curious is welcome to go look up deifying, then keys, then transcended units.

Rascyc posted:

The real end game is to go buy Fates and a 3ds

Running a sale on FE games in the 3DS eShop, with an announcement in FE Heroes would be a pretty good way to try and grab people for whom the mobile game is a series introduction. The downside is not everyone will readily have a 3DS available, but companies do it with mobile games. Secret of Mana's on sale right now and FFBE's running a SoM collab (eat poo poo, FFRK :v:) and put up a notification telling players about the SoM sale.

Paul Zuvella posted:

The other thing that I find slightly concerning is that the story content is not leveled in tiers. 6-5 Hard is the same level as 9-5 Normal. Similarly 9-5 hard is the same as 6-5 Lunatic.

Not only does this mean that I had completed chapters 1-7 on hard mode before finishing 9-5 (which made it so I didn't get any quest completion for the hard mode quests, that's fun.) But it also means that 2/3 of any story mode content is going to be obsolete to me when it is released because it would need to follow the same format.

They should not have had modes at all. Or done it so that 9-5 feeds into 1-1 hard, and so on.

Run it with the secondary units you're leveling plus 1-2 A team members as backup. I'm leveling my sole flying unit doing this, so I can finish the dumb "kill enemies with a flying unit" hard mission to unlock the lunatic ones.

Keep in mind that all the grinding people are doing right now means they're going to be able to brute force the next content's normal difficulty (Hard will already be at level 40 like Lunatic).

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Terper posted:

Once you've gotten a high enough score in a season and feel satisfied, you could spend any remaining charges on going into a fight and surrendering so you can give your fellow man some feathers

gently caress my fellow man, I want free xp.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Phyresis posted:

Trash Tier
  • Takumi - acts like a punk, kills all your harem, stupid pineapple hair

Completed the game in with Takumi as my 5* . :colbert:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tagichatn posted:

gently caress my fellow man, I want free xp.

You only get sp from the arena.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

sassassin posted:

You only get sp from the arena.

This is not true. You get full XP and SP from the arena provided you're within the correct level range of whatever poor sop's AI-controlled team you're decimating. If you're outside the 5 level range, you will get neither XP nor SP.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

That means your team isn't beating anybody. This isn't too surprising since the dumbass AI is controlling your team and you presumably don't have a full whale setup

Maybe I should put a lovely 3* as my first unit to lure opponents into a false sense of security until they get their faces bashed in with Takumi

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I made a post over on reddit but I'll throw out the suggestion here as well.

Since we're getting a cool 10,000 feathers from the twitter event there's a good bit of promoting that can be done. In particular if you have had bad luck and don't have a good healer on hand, today's special map features Lissa and you can use a mere 2200 feathers to take her all the way to 4*. She's got a nice skill set as well, having an activate skill to buff your entire party's ATK when she heals someone as well has Gravity to slow down fliers and cavalry. There's some better options out there but she's not a bad choice at all, especially if you are like me and she's your only healing unit right now.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Hi, when I'm first starting, should be spending my orbs trying to get Marth, or should I be upgrading my castle? Permanent EXP boost sounds great.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just pulled a 5* Sheena. Seems like she'll be interesting once we start getting more armored characters. Because armored guys needed more Def. I have her, Hector and a 3* Draug. I guess I could add Olivia or a healer to that to make The Wall...

I'm also really interested to see what Stahl can do. He has a Def boost, Swap, and Obstruction to pull fragile characters back and cover them.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 7, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Maybe I should put a lovely 3* as my first unit to lure opponents into a false sense of security until they get their faces bashed in with Takumi

I tried that, doesn't work. Takumi is certainly good, but everyone's pretty used to dealing with him by now. My Takumi team with Nino as the face has exactly 0 defense wins. You'd be better off with another good character in that slot.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 7, 2017

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

FAT BATMAN posted:

Hi, when I'm first starting, should be spending my orbs trying to get Marth, or should I be upgrading my castle? Permanent EXP boost sounds great.

Do a pull or two but max out the castle ASAP

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FAT BATMAN posted:

If there's a specific character you really want, reroll until you get them.

My general advice for orb expenditure is:

--Spend your first easy 17 orbs (15 from completing tutorial, 2 from daily login bonus) on a rerollable 4-pull. Reset if you don't get the character you want.
--Spend your next 3 orbs on the first two castle upgrades
--Spend your next 40-60 orbs on 5-pulls
--Finish upgrading your castle with the next 19 orbs
--If there's still a character you really want and they're either on a banner or available below 5-star, spend orbs only on that character's color
--Once you have the characters you really want that aren't absurdly rare, start saving orbs for new releases/banners that make the previously absurdly rare characters more available

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

FAT BATMAN posted:

First, you should be rerolling until you get a good set of starting heroes. After that, max out the castle.

If you don't know what rerolling is, it is when you keep reinstalling your game until you find a good starting team with the first 20 orbs.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

If you don't know what rerolling is, it is when you keep reinstalling your game until you find a good starting team with the first 20 orbs.

It's been noted that rolling only 4 characters with 17 orbs is way more time efficient than playing through 3 stages just to roll one more character per attempt.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Clarste posted:

I tried that, doesn't work. Takumi is certainly good, but everyone's pretty used to dealing with him by now. My Takumi team with Nino as the face has exactly 0 defense wins. You'd be better off with another good character in that slot.

I have 3 defense wins so far, not that any beyond the first matter. The trick is to make a team of all one colour. Some teams will certainly beat you, but you'll wall at least one balanced or opposite unbalanced team and that's all you need.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Decus posted:

I have 3 defense wins so far, not that any beyond the first matter. The trick is to make a team of all one colour. Some teams will certainly beat you, but you'll wall at least one balanced or opposite unbalanced team and that's all you need.

Yeah, about that... My team is all Green (Hector and Nino and Camilla oh my) and Red is by far the most popular color.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Clarste posted:

It's been noted that rolling only 4 characters with 17 orbs is way more time efficient than playing through 3 stages just to roll one more character per attempt.

But you net lose out on like 2 orbs because of efficiency. It really depends on whether you want to be time efficient or total orb efficient.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Phyresis posted:

lol lyn is a free kill in arena, i'll pick her and flyers over most anyone else

Yeah I figured. Honestly, I've been considering unequipping the attack spell from my healer and just leaving the slot blank for the same reason, but it's Azama, and he gets Pain, so it's actually pretty decent. I think if I had someone whose best spell was Assault or Gravity I'd just leave it blank though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also, rerolling using an emulator is roughly 6-7 times faster than rerolling on an actual phone, because you can use root privileges to reset your account instead of nuking all the app data, thus skipping the 5min download right at the beginning.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

acumen posted:

I have a feeling it's from how out of control it got in FFRK. Like I said before, I have shitloads of stamina and if they didn't create dailies that required ridiculous amounts, it'd take me forever to drain it every day. They gave out a ton over the first few months of the game but for the past year your cap goes up by like 1 point every month or so. Maybe they tried to change things up a bit here but the implementation crashed and burned. Story missions don't need to take 50% of your stamina at the point where they're initially available.

Weirdly enough the stamina levelling is the one thing I feel FFRK isn't generous about. Not stingy, but not generous. A lot of games either give you player exp for clearing any level or let's players buy upgrades.

FFRK gates it's later stamina leveling behind bosses that can seriously frustrate a casual player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Heaven Spacey posted:

Yeah I figured. Honestly, I've been considering unequipping the attack spell from my healer and just leaving the slot blank for the same reason, but it's Azama, and he gets Pain, so it's actually pretty decent. I think if I had someone whose best spell was Assault or Gravity I'd just leave it blank though.

Uh... what would the point of that be?