Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Speaking of Dumble, Klon, pedals in general and stupid music poo poo, the beautiful retard that runs Lone Wolf Audio stuck a Klon circuit in front of Dumble preamp circuit and sells it as "the Booze Lawyer":

http://lonewolfaudio.bigcartel.com/product/booze-lawyer-pre-order

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
"Well, someone had to do it."

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

fyodor posted:

Speaking of Dumble, Klon, pedals in general and stupid music poo poo, the beautiful retard that runs Lone Wolf Audio stuck a Klon circuit in front of Dumble preamp circuit and sells it as "the Booze Lawyer":

http://lonewolfaudio.bigcartel.com/product/unit-731-final-run-pre-order

Oh my.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

fyodor posted:

So 1 to 10 how stupid music poo poo is it if I have zero electrical engineering experience and I want to build a Klon Centaur clone kit/diy project like this one: https://aionelectronics.com/project/refractor-centaur-overdrive/

??

That is,

I know V=IR :D

Already answered but I think this is worth posting anyway.

If you want a Klon, get a Soul Food (or J Rockett Archer, etc).
If you want a cheap pedal, you'll rarely be able to build one for much cheaper than you could buy a mass produced clone.
If you want to build a kit, get one that includes everything you need, including a drilled enclosure. At least for your first project.

But assuming you don't overreach it's pretty simple once you get the basics of soldering down.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bill Posters posted:

Already answered but I think this is worth posting anyway.

If you want a Klon, get a Soul Food (or J Rockett Archer, etc).
If you want a cheap pedal, you'll rarely be able to build one for much cheaper than you could buy a mass produced clone.
If you want to build a kit, get one that includes everything you need, including a drilled enclosure. At least for your first project.

But assuming you don't overreach it's pretty simple once you get the basics of soldering down.

I'm more interested in taking my time and learning along the way. I realize that an investment in learning may mean I spend more than just buying a pedal and that's ok because it's not the point. I'm not dying to have a Klone but it's a pretty cool thing to have and have built on one's own. And yeah, I'm looking at kits. That said, the projects I've been looking at come with drilling templates, so it doesn't look hard as far as that goes. I live near a really great electronics supply store so running down the parts shouldn't be hard (plus online resources, of course). The PCB route looks crowded so perhaps a more rudimentary means.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fyodor posted:

The PCB route looks crowded so perhaps a more rudimentary means.

the trick is to populate the board by component going from smallest to largest, like diodes -> resistors -> caps -> fets -> ics -> etc

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

fyodor posted:

I'm more interested in taking my time and learning along the way. I realize that an investment in learning may mean I spend more than just buying a pedal and that's ok because it's not the point. I'm not dying to have a Klone but it's a pretty cool thing to have and have built on one's own. And yeah, I'm looking at kits. That said, the projects I've been looking at come with drilling templates, so it doesn't look hard as far as that goes. I live near a really great electronics supply store so running down the parts shouldn't be hard (plus online resources, of course). The PCB route looks crowded so perhaps a more rudimentary means.

FYI something dumb you may not know: some capacitors (ones shaped like a can) have positive and negative ends while the other kinds of caps don't. If you gently caress that up you'll fry a cap and spend hours figuring out why your poo poo doesn't work. In a diagram the polar ones look like -|(- as opposed to -||- and physically on the things they's a stripe on one of the terminals. It's been so long I forgot which end that denotes and I don't feel like looking that poo poo up.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You guys are awesome, that's solid stuff. Thanks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I tried my best to get into pedal building but got discouraged and gave up like a chump. The thing is I'd really like to do it and turn it into a business of some sort. I guess it takes effort though eh?

My issue was that I never found a good book or guide that I liked. Only a handful of blogs that seemed disorganized. If I had a book about electronics soldering that was comprehensive but simple and clear I doubt I would have any issues.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are there any other especially good all-in-one diy pedal kit dealers?

I have a simple od kit to practice on now, but I have a lot of soldering experience so I'm feeling good about it and already looking to the next one. The more hosed up noisy doomy dark the better.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

fyodor posted:

I only suggested pre-drilled enclosures since unless you already have the tools it's a fairly big and unnecessary expense to buy them.

Another thing to watch out for if you're getting a bare PCB is to make sure beforehand that you can actually source all the parts you're going to need. A lot of older pedals used weird components or pots with non-standard values that aren't going to be available at you're local electronics store.

Snowy posted:

Are there any other especially good all-in-one diy pedal kit dealers?

I have a simple od kit to practice on now, but I have a lot of soldering experience so I'm feeling good about it and already looking to the next one. The more hosed up noisy doomy dark the better.

A few from my bookmarks. I can't vouch for their quality etc.

http://buildyourownclone.com/
https://www.mammothelectronics.com/collections/effects-pedal-kits
https://www.modkitsdiy.com/

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

fyodor posted:

This is hilarious and A++, but gah I hate the kind of thing this builder is going for thematically in the rest of their line. "GAIN DEATH CRUSHER MUTILATOR BLOOD GUT DEATH MACHINE OF TERROR IMPERIUM" etc. Buzzsaw-loud only has so many variations, and even then, give me Sunn O))) riffs and we can stop there thank you.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bill Posters posted:

I only suggested pre-drilled enclosures since unless you already have the tools it's a fairly big and unnecessary expense to buy them.

Another thing to watch out for if you're getting a bare PCB is to make sure beforehand that you can actually source all the parts you're going to need. A lot of older pedals used weird components or pots with non-standard values that aren't going to be available at you're local electronics store.

I think part of the appeal (lol that's probably loving naive) is in researching and tracking down the individual components. I am probably going to take my time with each detail since nobody is paying me to do this and I can research transistors, ICs, etc. to find my own sort of customized thing. According to Bill Finnegan, he claims a pretty standard, although widely varying in properties, transistor is used in the Centaur while testing by nerds and builders seems to suggest it's a different transistor. It's sort of like how there's several different muff circuits but there are variations even within a ram's head or creamy dreamer or whatever. I'm fine with not being exact and I want to enjoy sourcing whacky stuff to try out. Then again, maybe I'll save that for not my first project.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

strangemusic posted:

This is hilarious and A++, but gah I hate the kind of thing this builder is going for thematically in the rest of their line. "GAIN DEATH CRUSHER MUTILATOR BLOOD GUT DEATH MACHINE OF TERROR IMPERIUM" etc. Buzzsaw-loud only has so many variations, and even then, give me Sunn O))) riffs and we can stop there thank you.

Well, that's like your opinion man. He does HM2 variations, Muff variations, Matamp preamp, Dumble preamp, a Rangemaster thing, SLO100 preamp, Roland Bee Baa, a Harmonic Percolator thing, plus delays and verbs and stuff. Then he makes pedals that are combinations of two pedals that is cheaper than the 2 separately. I don't think he makes a Model T preamp yet, though. Anyhow, that's quite a bit of variation in dirt, which is what he's selling.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

FYI something dumb you may not know: some capacitors (ones shaped like a can) have positive and negative ends while the other kinds of caps don't. If you gently caress that up you'll fry a cap and spend hours figuring out why your poo poo doesn't work. In a diagram the polar ones look like -|(- as opposed to -||- and physically on the things they's a stripe on one of the terminals. It's been so long I forgot which end that denotes and I don't feel like looking that poo poo up.
And you don't want to find out what can happen when you power up a circuit with a capacitor installed backwards. They don't just fry, they explode. The bigger they are, the bigger the mess. The guts can end up everywhere, and they are not pleasant (or easy) to clean up. This is a pain in the rear end for small caps, and a serious hazard for the large ones you find in the power sections of amplifiers.
That's one mistake you really don't want to make.

That said, soldering is super easy to get down. You need a few things: a decent iron, the right tip, the right solder, and the patience to practice on some junk before you tackle your first real project.

Last note on soldering: the best solder joint is the first one. Re-melting and trying to fix bad solder joints is a bad practice for technical reasons that are boring.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

strangemusic posted:

it reminds me of all those dod pedals from the 90s with knob labels like GUTS, PAIN, FACE, and BUTT

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it reminds me of all those dod pedals from the 90s with knob labels like GUTS, PAIN, FACE, and BUTT

Ah yes, the Gonkulator and Meatbox have some great parameters you can control:

'Rump' 'Lbs.' 'Suck' 'Heave'

Funnily enough all the knobs on the re-releases seem to be labelled much more normally.

eSportseXpert fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 8, 2017

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Peavey triple XXX has HAIR, BODY and BOTTOM instead of treble, mid and bass. The Kustom 100w Solid State amps have the distort channel gain knob labeled BALLS and an extra boost button labeled BIGGER BALLS.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
group shot of stupid before my partner and I get smart and downsize

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Peetown Manning posted:

Could I get a higher res version of this I haven't masturbated in weeks thanks.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Peetown Manning posted:

have you ever chained a bunch of y-splits together to run all of these at the same time

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That bass cab on the right is imposing as gently caress.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
it imposes me to be pissed off when im schlupping it between gigs

I Y-chained the two stacks on the right together once, it was pretty ballsy w./ Les Paul or Telecaster. Those are Spectrums, 60 watt club amps that I imagine were designed for your four piece mod rock band circa '65. Loud enough for bass or guitar, but I think guitar is better through them, I play my Telecaster through the one on the far right. They both have their tonal quirks though they are the same model.

The Solarus on top of the 200s is my favorite but not for your typical Sunn O))) reasons. It has vibrato and reverb but it also is a time machine to 1968. It just has the best jangly cleans, with a smidgen of overdrive. Just plugging straight in you can nail the tone of George Harrison on Abbey Road. It also has a footswitch so I"ve gigged with that no pedals.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 8, 2017

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

fyodor posted:

Could I get a higher res version of this I haven't masturbated in weeks thanks.

:same:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Peetown Manning posted:

you should downsize your partner and have a civil union with me

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Would

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

In case you farty poopoobutts care I decided on this Harmonic Percolator kit so I can pretend to be Steve "Spergboi" Albini:

http://www.3pdt.com/products/harmonic-percolator

edit: aaah poo poo they only have PCBs. FUuuuuh.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I find stuff like like writes cheques about my skill that I'll never be able to cash

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Wow check this guy out with the diamond encrusted guitar he must be amaz-

*strums open G*

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Everyone knows that nice stuff doesn't make you good, I'd go so far to say that most folks that see someone with something awesome assume they can't use it until proven otherwise. At least that's what I do because I'm a jealous rear end in a top hat that wants nice things too :saddowns:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I don't even consider it jealousy. There are really expensive guitars by Martin/Taylor that I legit am jealous of. Everything on that imgur page is tasteless and tacky to me. I wouldn't pay for any of them unless I was convinced I could turn around and offload it to some sap for more money. It is like new money who make EVERYTHING in their house look like it was spray painted with gold.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

fyodor posted:

In case you farty poopoobutts care I decided on this Harmonic Percolator kit so I can pretend to be Steve "Spergboi" Albini:

http://www.3pdt.com/products/harmonic-percolator

edit: aaah poo poo they only have PCBs. FUuuuuh.

Just go on Mouser and get your poo poo and build it.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

you should downsize your partner and have a civil union with me

how many vintage guilds and or martin acoustic guitars do you possess?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Peetown Manning posted:

rip ears and back

owns

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni2n1ICM4To

The last line of the only comment on this video is peakest stupid music poo poo possible.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

The last line of the only comment on this video is peakest stupid music poo poo possible.

TONE

hexwren fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 9, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni2n1ICM4To

There's an actual truth to having extra headstock weight/having something clamped on it. Not as much about tone since it would be very hard to hear in practice but it can be useful when detecting and temporarily fixing dead spots in the instrument.

It is the absolutely most hilariously guitarist question though.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I have this heavy like, brass plate in the shape of a stratocaster headstock. It has six holes and fastens down via the tuners to either the front or back of the headstock, I cant recall, apparently to improve sustain. Never have had a Stratocaster to try it on.

Kilometers Davis posted:

There's an actual truth to having extra headstock weight/having something clamped on it. Not as much about tone since it would be very hard to hear in practice but it can be useful when detecting and temporarily fixing dead spots in the instrument.

It is the absolutely most hilariously guitarist question though.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just how long are people holding a note?

• Locked thread