Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tap my mountain posted:

What do those do anyway? I didn't notice a difference when I used one, but I immediately changed it back out for a different talisman.

If you look at your minimap it paints a white arrow towards the end of the level from the point you dropped it at

E: NM you have that anyways. Maybe its just a beacon for other players to find you? IDK. Everything has terrible translations haha.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Maybe it helps you locate kodama. I had already found all the ones in the village so I couldn't test it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It puts a dot on your minimap where you placed it

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Are there any starting out/new player tips that aren't in the first post? Are there hidden/invisible walls?

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Could be a factor of diminishing returns. Do you have vastly more Dex than Skill right now?

Also are you sure you're looking at the right weapon on the level up screen? It shows both of your equipped weapons next to each other, so its easy to mix up. (You probably aren't but just checking)

I've just started so my dex is 8 and my skill is 6 and my other weapon doesn't get damage from dex at all so I know I'm looking at the right one.

I'm just going to do whatever and respec later once I figure it out.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

katkillad2 posted:

Are there any starting out/new player tips that aren't in the first post? Are there hidden/invisible walls?

There are invisible walls but they're pretty easy to notice if you're paying attention

You don't need to fight absolutely every demon you see, there are a few that will just let you pass with free loot if you do an emote to them

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

With RE7 and Nioh the PS4's got two fantastic GotY contender level games in the first month and a half of 2017. Talk about starting strong...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone know if Yokai water pots work on human enemies/bosses? Or are they just for PvP(and that one Axe mystic art I guess)?

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
This game is delightful. Seems much easier than the demo so far, but I'm still in the village. I'm eager to see how intense this gets.

Add me if you're so inclined.

PSN: PolypPaul

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Just want to let everyone know target has a deal this week where you get 30% off of a new game by placing a $1 reserve on another. I can confirm by my $45 purchase of Nioh that it's eligible. :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

katkillad2 posted:

Buy the skills that give you ki pulse on dodge for each of the 3 stances for your favorite weapon ASAP

They're called Living Water. Get Living water for high, med, and low stance.

It says "allows you to use ki pulse when dodging" but it should really say "dodging counts as a ki pulse" which is fantastic.

Also: Go to the Dojo and play tutorial missions, you unlock more as you play the game and many have very good rewards, and unlock skills!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 7, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

There are fake walls. One thing about them: I'm pretty sure you can get through them without hitting them. They respond to gestures and will leave peacefully if you do the correct kind of gesture.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The Living Water skills were cross-weapon type in the demo, did that change? It was quite nice for not locking you into a weapon type.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

The Living Water skills were cross-weapon type in the demo, did that change? It was quite nice for not locking you into a weapon type.

Yes, good point. Unlocking them for all 3 stances will unlock them across all weapon types. So just get on that poo poo ASAP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo, there's armor with defense that scales with your stats? I was watching a video just now and someone had heavy armor that had a special effect that gave its defense C+ scaling with Magic. That owns

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Not only does this game have a monster bestiary with a 3D model viewer and flavor information about the monsters and bosses, but beating bosses for a 2nd and 3rd time unlocks additional information about them :allears:

It also tracks how many times you've killed each boss and enemy across your entire save, as well as how much damage its done to you.

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo, there's armor with defense that scales with your stats? I was watching a video just now and someone had heavy armor that had a special effect that gave its defense C+ scaling with Magic. That owns

Yes! That's something you don't expect coming from souls, but it kinda makes sense to a certain extent. So if you have the right skills, light armor could actually do a bit more than it does by default, or you can go all in on being able to equip heavy armor and manage the load, stuff like that.

There's so much build flexibility in this game its crazy. Since all the magic and ninjitsu has basically no or very few prereqs (most of them are completely parallel) you can easily unlock whatever 1 or 2 spells you want and then put the rest of your points into something else. Its not like souls where if you want a certain spell, you need 50 INT so you're stuck going all-in or nothing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Buy the skills that give you ki pulse on dodge for each of the 3 stances for your favorite weapon ASAP

They're called Living Water. Get Living water for high, med, and low stance.

It says "allows you to use ki pulse when dodging" but it should really say "dodging counts as a ki pulse" which is fantastic.

Also: Go to the Dojo and play tutorial missions, you unlock more as you play the game and many have very good rewards, and unlock skills!

Living Water is IIRC shared across weapons. At very least I certainly recall only buying it for sword and having it on others.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

William is the protoweab. He travels to Japan, imagines himself training in a dojo and now he is a samurai.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

There's so much build flexibility in this game its crazy. Since all the magic and ninjitsu has basically no or very few prereqs (most of them are completely parallel) you can easily unlock whatever 1 or 2 spells you want and then put the rest of your points into something else. Its not like souls where if you want a certain spell, you need 50 INT so you're stuck going all-in or nothing.

Ninjutsu seems really strong if you invest heavily in Dexterity. That same video was someone with a 30 Dex build and he had 200 damage poison ticks on an oni he was fighting, not to mention wrecking poo poo with kusarigama. Kinda making me rethink the heavy Heart/Spirit build I was planning on, but I'm still probably going to go with that.

Speaking of Spirit, have you seen much with how much Spirit the higher-level guardian spirit abilities require? I'm wondering how thin I'd be spreading myself if I went, like, Heart/Dex/Spirit or something. Naturally I'll also need some levels in some combination of Body/Strength, Stamina/Strength, or Body/Skill for armor, too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Ninjutsu seems really strong if you invest heavily in Dexterity. That same video was someone with a 30 Dex build and he had 200 damage poison ticks on an oni he was fighting, not to mention wrecking poo poo with kusarigama. Kinda making me rethink the heavy Heart/Spirit build I was planning on, but I'm still probably going to go with that.

Speaking of Spirit, have you seen much with how much Spirit the higher-level guardian spirit abilities require? I'm wondering how thin I'd be spreading myself if I went, like, Heart/Dex/Spirit or something. Naturally I'll also need some levels in some combination of Body/Strength, Stamina/Strength, or Body/Skill for armor, too.

If you wanna know, the wiki has a lot of information filled out already: http://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Guardian+Spirits

Looks like the highest you'd need for guardian spirit abilities is 23 spirit, but for certain spirits it caps at around 19 so it depends upon which one you go with. Also the highest spirit ability may not even be important to you depending.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

25 spirit is the highest requirements on animals go

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So, as I haven't followed much info on the game: I assume we are just locked into being Fighty McWeebson as our character? No full From-style character customization (since William is more important to the plot etc)? I see there are a few skins options, but ultimately we're still the biggest Anglo-Irish weeb?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

If you wanna know, the wiki has a lot of information filled out already: http://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Guardian+Spirits

Looks like the highest you'd need for guardian spirit abilities is 23 spirit, but for certain spirits it caps at around 19 so it depends upon which one you go with. Also the highest spirit ability may not even be important to you depending.

I wonder if there's a reason to go beyond 23-25 Spirit, then. Maybe if you have a lot of Spirit-scaling weapons like Raikiri or something.

I'm starting to consider going Heart primary, Spirit and either Magic or Dex secondary, and then Body + either Skill or Strength for armor, but I'm not sure if that's going to be spreading myself too thin. (I know I can just keep leveling like a Souls game, but my concern is whether that's too many stats to try to level without grinding.)

I'm also really curious if there's a point to medium armor. Light armor lets you dodge farther and recover Ki faster; heavy armor has good damage reduction and lets you spend less Ki when you block. Medium armor sits in between, but something tells me it's just going to sacrifice some Ki regeneration from light armor but not offer enough damage reduction/Ki damage on block reduction to make it worth it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

So, as I haven't followed much info on the game: I assume we are just locked into being Fighty McWeebson as our character? No full From-style character customization (since William is more important to the plot etc)? I see there are a few skins options, but ultimately we're still the biggest Anglo-Irish weeb?

Correct.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

William is the protoweab. He travels to Japan, imagines himself training in a dojo and now he is a samurai.

Yeah, it's loving hilarious.

During character creation he's like "even though I've never seen or done these thing, I feel a deep connection to them"

Laffo.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Hmm. Disappointing, but it is what it is, I suppose. I'll have to dig into the game after work.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Snak posted:

During character creation he's like "even though I've never seen or done these thing, I feel a deep connection to them"

Laffo.

Really stoked for him to live happily ever after with his waifu at the end of the game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

william is cool and my friend

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The tutorial started with me punching through a wall and ended with me looking like a knight. Good game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Can't find how to buy backstab for dual katana

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I wonder if there's a reason to go beyond 23-25 Spirit, then. Maybe if you have a lot of Spirit-scaling weapons like Raikiri or something.

I'm starting to consider going Heart primary, Spirit and either Magic or Dex secondary, and then Body + either Skill or Strength for armor, but I'm not sure if that's going to be spreading myself too thin. (I know I can just keep leveling like a Souls game, but my concern is whether that's too many stats to try to level without grinding.)

I'm also really curious if there's a point to medium armor. Light armor lets you dodge farther and recover Ki faster; heavy armor has good damage reduction and lets you spend less Ki when you block. Medium armor sits in between, but something tells me it's just going to sacrifice some Ki regeneration from light armor but not offer enough damage reduction/Ki damage on block reduction to make it worth it.

I imagine stuff like your living weapon and your summoned pokemon attack continue to scale up as you get more spirit, so its never pointless. You probably get diminishing returns same as any stat when it comes to damage, but yeah.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Questions are A) do I buy this if I like Bloodborne and B) do I trade up to a PS4 Pro for this on a 1080p TV

I got blindsided by this one and am now keenly interested

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Questions are A) do I buy this if I like Bloodborne and B) do I trade up to a PS4 Pro for this on a 1080p TV

I got blindsided by this one and am now keenly interested

a) Yes, without reservation. It's definitely a different beast, but I'd expect the Venn diagram of people who like Bloodborne and people who like Nioh to be drat close to a circle. Don't try to play it like a Souls game or Bloodborne--it definitely has some Ninja Gaiden DNA, more focus on combos and technical stuff than any Souls game, and it also heavily punishes you for getting hit in the back--but you'll probably like it if you liked Bloodborne.

b) Do you already want a PS4 Pro? Might as well. Otherwise, it'll still run at (mostly) 60fps at 720p on a regular PS4 and I thought it looked good enough that it didn't bother me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bombadilillo posted:

It's a Ninjutsu skill.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

It's a Ninjutsu skill that applies to every weapon.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, 720p@60 is good enough and the trade-in value for PS4->PS4 Pro is dogshit at least at Gamestop so I'll probably stick with what I got

I never actually finished Bloodborne, I got closeish (probably like 66% through) then got distracted by dying a lot on the way to (I assume) Rom and not being able to beat the boss of Cainhurst

How Souls-y is this game with respect to penalizing death, anyway, pretty much the same deal?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

How Souls-y is this game with respect to penalizing death, anyway, pretty much the same deal?

Yeah, pretty much identical with death. You drop your amrita (souls) on death and can reclaim them, or if you die again they're gone forever. Shrines are the same as bonfires.

It's divided up into discreet missions rather than having a connected world and has two types of co-op instead of one. It's also much more loot-driven. Unlike in Bloodborne or Souls, you're not likely to just find one weapon and upgrade it forever. Instead, weapons and armor have random special properties almost like Diablo, and you can expect to be finding new equipment all the time. You can upgrade equipment you already have if you like its special effects but its attack is too low, but it's not the main way to get better gear in Nioh.

It has an actual currency for shops, too. You buy things with gold, not amrita, and you don't drop gold when you die. You can use that gold to buy, upgrade, and (with materials/recipes) craft equipment between missions.

Unlike Souls/Bloodborne, there are only five main weapon types, but each one has a big skill tree that gives you new combos, combo finishers, and special abilities that you can swap in and out, so there's still a ton of move set variety.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 8, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

Yeah, pretty much identical with death. You drop your amrita (souls) on death and can reclaim them, or if you die again they're gone forever. Shrines are the same as bonfires.

It's divided up into discreet missions rather than having a connected world and has two types of co-op instead of one. It's also much more loot-driven. Unlike in Bloodborne or Souls, you're not likely to just find one weapon and upgrade it forever. Instead, weapons and armor have random special properties almost like Diablo, and you can expect to be finding new equipment all the time. You can upgrade equipment you already have if you like its special effects but its attack is too low, but it's not the main way to get better gear in Nioh.

It has an actual currency for shops, too. You buy things with gold, not amrita, and you don't drop gold when you die. You can use that gold to buy, upgrade, and (with materials/recipes) craft equipment between missions.

I am Absolutely Okay with all of these differences!! Especially the disconnected world one; I used to love the DS ethos of connected worlds but over time I've come to prefer less explorable but more straightforward discrete levels

Muchas gracias, guess I've got something to do besides play Heroes of the Storm for a while after all! :dance:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

The one thing that is different is your bloodstain is your guardian animal, which means you can't build your spirit meter up while you go back to retrieve it, and if you die while it's still on the ground you don't leave another one for you to recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Snak posted:

Laffo.