Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

euphronius posted:

Jackson was infamous for letting the players run the huddle and call plays so . Lol. He also famously could not manage Kobe and shaq.

I'm not a fan.

Idk man I feel like 11 rings means he was exactly the coach he needed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spacebump posted:

How many titles did they win without Phil?

Shaq won one . Kobe was out of his prime when Jackson bailed .

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Spacebump posted:

How many titles did they win without Phil? Shaq's 1 in Miami

And Pau's in San Antonio :twisted:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

euphronius posted:

Shaq won one . Kobe was out of his prime when Jackson bailed .

Who do you think is a great coach? Because by your metric I think only Larry Brown would qualify, at least in the last 40 years or so.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Who cares if he's a good coach or whatever, he's a lovely loving gm/president/check collector right now

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Of the top 100 criticisms of Carmelo I don't think will to win comes up.

It might not be accurate but it's easily within the top 5 most common criticisms of Melo, in some form or another

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TBeats posted:

Who do you think is a great coach? Because by your metric I think only Larry Brown would qualify, at least in the last 40 years or so.

The guy in Dallas is very very good. I put pop up there because he also has a lot of input on general manager issues . Stevens in Boston seems to know what he's doing . Thibs had a great run a few years ago. Vogel has a good run with ind. budenholzer in atl is very good. I'm probably forgetting some peolpe.

I don't know about steve Kerr.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

chunkles posted:

And Pau's in San Antonio :twisted:

He's arguably the worst part of the starting 5, depending on Tony Parker

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

straight up brolic posted:

Apparently 97% of existing season tickets holders renewed so it's really just price gouging a loyal fanbase

How many of those are actually going to games and not reselling at least half their package

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Who cares if he's a good coach or whatever, he's a lovely loving gm/president/check collector right now

He's a very good check collector to be fair. Just like Melo.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I object. You have to respect Phil's CTC game, it's not lovely at all.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

euphronius posted:

Jackson was infamous for letting the players run the huddle and call plays so . Lol. He also famously could not manage Kobe and shaq.

I'm not a fan.

Yeah Pop lets players draw up plays too. It's called getting guys to buy in. It's really really hard to do to get guys to agree to play a system and not just do what they want most of the game because there's really not much a coach can do to stop them from doing this.

He also, famously, did manage Kobe and Shaq about as well as anyone ever did.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I can fully be on board with this. Which is why I was glad when the Jeanie/Phil relationship was over . . . little did I know that Damocles would have a much crueler weapon to place above me in Magic Johnson.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Tae posted:

eh I'd take him over Danny Green or Tony Parker if I was starting a team from scratch.

Having three guys who can get their own shot is an important part of why the Spurs are so good despite bucking the increasing pace/3pa trend

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not saying Jackson wasn't no good

Just saying he was / is overrated

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

Not saying Jackson wasn't no good

Just saying he was / is overrated

This is a good opinion.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

me in church league

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

I'm not a fan.

his team's ran the triangle he commanded, not just whatever the players wanted

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Has Okafor been traded yet

How about now?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

NotWearingPants posted:

How about now?

dammit i will pull this league over

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

chunkles posted:

Is anyone else planning on celebrating mardi gras by staying inside and avoiding all king cakes? I won't be able to face one without imagining the king cake baby springing out to eat my face off like a xenomorph

the problem here is that although King Cake Baby is cool and good, actual king cakes taste like poo poo. How a good food city like Nawleens can have such a crappy traditional recipe is beyond me.

Imagine going to Maryland for the first time and finding out that genuine Maryland crab cakes taste like rear end. You would be as outraged as I am about the king cake scam.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

pau's actually pretty good and was fitting in better and better with the system.

i'm personally dying for him to come back because he really benefitted that starting lineup by shooting efficiently, passing well, and being able to create space for lma

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

euphronius posted:

I'm not a fan.
He also, unlike Pop, didn't really demonstrate as much willingness to adapt his systems and philosophies to his personnel over the years. I guess he didn't need to, but I'd say that means he had less adversity that required adapting. Look at Pop still steaming ahead this year with so much roster turnover in the post-Duncan era.

he's still second best though :twisted:

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 8, 2017

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Libertine posted:

I just assume that anyone in good seats at a Warriors game who has permanent residence in San Francisco is a millionaire because how else would you afford to live there anyways.

If you bought your house in the 1970s to early 90s, you got to ride up with it as it became worth a fortune, yet you don't pay squat for a mortgage and your property taxes are obscenely low because of Prop 13. There is a nice old lady living on my street who lives off social security and a really tiny pension, in a little house that is worth several dozen times what she paid for it.

As long as old time San Franciscans own their home and never move, they do just fine.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

predicto posted:

the problem here is that although King Cake Baby is cool and good, actual king cakes taste like poo poo. How a good food city like Nawleens can have such a crappy traditional recipe is beyond me.

Imagine going to Maryland for the first time and finding out that genuine Maryland crab cakes taste like rear end. You would be as outraged as I am about the king cake scam.

It's too sweet I think. There are some really good versions of King Cake, like maple walnut, but the stuff with that sugar on top of it grosses me out.

Of course I ate it like every day last year since I was broke and there was always one in the kitchen in my office.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ChicagoSports/status/829145820670758913

:sigh:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

straight up brolic posted:

Apparently 97% of existing season tickets holders renewed so it's really just price gouging a loyal fanbase

let's maybe wait for a down season or two before we start calling any of them loyal

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Gar Forman's face

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

predicto posted:

If you bought your house in the 1970s to early 90s, you got to ride up with it as it became worth a fortune, yet you don't pay squat for a mortgage and your property taxes are obscenely low because of Prop 13. There is a nice old lady living on my street who lives off social security and a really tiny pension, in a little house that is worth several dozen times what she paid for it.

As long as old time San Franciscans own their home and never move, they do just fine.

so the already relatively well to do (property owners) didn't get hosed over. but everyone else did. but its cool because people who were already well off enough to own property in a major metropolitan area are protected (for now).

still sounds like a pretty lovely situation

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

chunkles posted:

dammit i will pull this league over

Lol

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Chunkles as the Salty Bus Driver, toting us all in for a hard day's posting

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like loving seriously.

quote:

But the Reinsdorfs still hold management's talent evaluation in high regard, one source said, and also have valued its ability to avoid hamstringing the franchise with bloated, long-term contracts for players with minimal impact.

Valentine, Can't get in the rotation.

Bobby Portis can't get in the rotation

Doug McDermott is the only viable rotation member(Took 5 loving picks to get him too).

Snell Traded for loving MCW

Marquise Teague is out of the loving league.

gently caress this goddamn loving organization.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Dexo man don't despair I think Garpax will be fired by 2030.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Punkin Spunkin posted:

He also, unlike Pop, didn't really demonstrate as much willingness to adapt his systems and philosophies to his personnel over the years. I guess he didn't need to, but I'd say that means he had less adversity that required adapting. Look at Pop still steaming ahead this year with so much roster turnover in the post-Duncan era.

His coaching doesn't get that much praise because he doesn't have a coaching tree like other guys, so there aren't people in the media ready to talk about how smart whatever things he did were.

He was really good at manipulating his psychotic superstar players psychologically into playing good basketball, his teams won, others have failed to do what he did

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, didn't they just trade an expiring contract for a longer contract

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's very different to run a team with Kobe and Shaq than it is to run one with Michael Jordan and Luc Longley. The Lakers ran a vastly different version of the triangle based on their personnel every year. It's a lot different to run a system where you have Glen Rice shooting threes than Rick Fox than Metta World Peace.

He also routinely beat Pop head to head and generally made better adjustments than him and the only Spurs victory over the Lakers with him around required Kobe fracturing his rear end to happen.

And he didn't have adversity? Yeah golly there was no drama happening with the Lakers ever.

Rick fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 8, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

Chunkles as the Salty Bus Driver, toting us all in for a hard day's posting

i graduated from the otto mann school of bus driving so buckle up kids

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dexo posted:

Like loving seriously.

Valentine, Can't get in the rotation.

Bobby Portis can't get in the rotation

Doug McDermott is the only viable rotation member(Took 5 loving picks to get him too).

Snell Traded for loving MCW

Marquise Teague is out of the loving league.

gently caress this goddamn loving organization.

organizations win championships

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

RaySmuckles posted:

so the already relatively well to do (property owners) didn't get hosed over. but everyone else did. but its cool because people who were already well off enough to own property in a major metropolitan area are protected (for now).

still sounds like a pretty lovely situation

Hey, I couldn't agree more.

Prop 13 has ruined this state's finances, and has played a large part in directly causing the ridiculous increases in home prices and rent we have seen out here. It sucks rear end.

Government by proposition sucks in general.

/derail over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rick posted:

It's possible to be really good at something and then turn like 70 and not be good at it anymore. It doesn't mean those first years were bad.

His zen has gone stale, he's only in it for the money now.

edit- also George Karl. I blocked on his name for some reason

• Locked thread