Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Ah man. I was hoping monster unleashed would be good and sell well. The concept was really good.

I'm going to put my foot down and say the ultimate line after Ultimatum is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Manatee Cannon posted:

monsters unleashed should have been a series of boxing matches at the end of which the american kaiju is crowned the boxing champion of the universe

That would be trusting american comics to do a tournament art.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tournament arcs aren't even good in manga.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Dragonball and kenichi would like a word.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Lurdiak posted:

tournament arcs that go on for 50 chapters aren't good
let's put it that way

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

manga isn't good so you repeated yourself

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Soonmot posted:

manga isn't good so you repeated yourself

Why do you hate comic books?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Onmi posted:

Why do you hate comic books?

Years of reading them, mostly

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm... having fun with Monsters Unleashed? The heroes don't all hate each other, buncha weird beasties in the art, just a good time all around.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

After #15, Luke Cage and Iron Fist is going to be replaced by Luke Cage. David Walker staying on.
http://www.cbr.com/marvel-luke-cage-ongoing-series/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/2017/02/06/marvel-previews-america-1/

Preview for America #1

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

After #15, Luke Cage and Iron Fist is going to be replaced by Luke Cage. David Walker staying on.
http://www.cbr.com/marvel-luke-cage-ongoing-series/

I don't know if I'm excited for them walking back all the growth Luke has had over the last decade and a half.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

I don't know if I'm excited for them walking back all the growth Luke has had over the last decade and a half.

The author of the new book in the interview linked in the post you just quoted posted:

With this book I’m trying to build off the shoulders of everything that has come before. Just as he was in the “Power Man & Iron Fist” run, he’s a bit wiser. He’s still very street-smart, but he’s also a father, a husband, and he’s been through a lot more. I’m writing him in a much more contemplative way.

The author of the new book in the interview linked in the post you just quoted posted:

I’m writing him as a little more mature, and I’m not going to say that the television show was a huge influence on me, but it did show me a lot of ideas and ways Luke could be handled

You don’t want to be exactly like the show or movie, though, because there’s a reason why there’s a movie or TV show, and there’s a reason why there’s a comic. I firmly believe that neither should be exactly the same otherwise it gets really boring.

Rhyno posted:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

All those covers are great, and the interiors looking pretty drat good. Marvel needs to have some mercy on my wallet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

You're not wrong, but I understand Rhyno's nervousness when Bendis is writing Luke and Jessica's marriage breaking down in her book, then a Cage solo book pops up taking influence from the show where he's single.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

You're not wrong, but I understand Rhyno's nervousness when Bendis is writing Luke and Jessica's marriage breaking down in her book, then a Cage solo book pops up taking influence from the show where he's single.

That will all be cleared up since it was revealed in the last issue that Jessica is actually working undercover and had to make it believable. I'm sure there will be some strain because of that but I imagine they'll end up back together once she explains everything.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Worrying that it'll cater too much to the TV show is completely basel-

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-O posted:

That will all be cleared up since it was revealed in the last issue that Jessica is actually working undercover and had to make it believable. I'm sure there will be some strain because of that but I imagine they'll end up back together once she explains everything.

Bendis has said that he'll let the characters decide. I have to respect that.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

X-O posted:

Man, I hope so. Luke Cage as husband and father has been a great version of the character, and it would be a shame to lose that. Marvel doesn't have many depictions of parents with children (Fantastic 4, not currently published, being the big exception), and I've enjoyed that dynamic. I mean, I'm not saying that I'd love a book that's just Luke, Jessica, baby Danielle and regular appearances by uncle Danny and nanny Squirrel Girl except that yeah, I'm totally saying exactly that

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
http://www.cbr.com/x-men-gold-marc-guggenheim-interview-resurrxion-marvel/ - firstly, I really like Ardian Syaf's art on those covers. (I do find Storm going back to a swimsuit a bit odd, but Colossus is in his trunks so maybe they're both feeling like showing off their gams?)

Secondly, Guggenheim's answers here give me some hope, especially a mansion full of students along with Rockslide and Armor featuring in #3. I just hope he delivers the fun but this set-up bodes well for all the x-books that choose to use it at least.

EDIT: Whoops, I meant to post this in the X-Men Thread. Sorry!

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 7, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TwoPair posted:

X-O already covered the "Bendis is writing __________ in Jessica Jones) the exact interview that was linked and that was quoted by me has an interview with the writer of the book who says that in writing the book that the television show was not a huge influence on him and he's writing the character differently and more maturely than the character on the television show that was not a huge influence on him. He also identifies the character of Luke Cage which as the writer of the book coming out he will be writing as a "husband and father". Also he has been writing Luke Cage for the past year in Power Man & Iron Fist as a more mature husband and father that is not very influenced by the television version.

Also he is friends with Bendis and they live in the same town and they are co-teaching university classes so I know there is the long and storied belief that Bendis is someone who stomps in and tells everyone gently caress YOU IRON MAN IS DOCTOR DOOM NOW, I'M KILLING OFF WOLVERINE AND I DON'T GIVE A FIZZUCK WHAT YOU X-MEN ASSHOLES WERE WORKING ON, ALSO NO ONE CAN USE THE WORD "ME" IN A SCRIPT ANYMORE, THAT'S MY WORD, ONLY RIRI THE YASSSSSSSS QUEEN IS ALLOWED TO SAY ME, SUCK MY DICK FROM THE BACK I'M OUT OF HERE and then he peels out on his editor's face but as detached from reality that vision probably is in general, the fact that Bendis and Walker have been co-writing the characters of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones for the past year and are going to continue to do so for the next year and they are saying explicitly they are not slavishly devoted or influenced deeply by the television show and that Luke is married with a kid sort of leads me to believe that Rhyno's nervousness (which was not "I hope they don't do this" it was "they are doing this" is predicated more on not reading the interview than anything but hey.

I don't think it's anywhere in the rules of the forum that you actually have to read poo poo or cite facts or back up anything you ever say with evidence.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Worrying that it'll cater too much to the TV show is completely basel-

LOL yeah, good point. It's going to be super weird when Ben Urich is a dead black guy and Karen Page is alive and also every page has a PRESENTED BY NETFLIX water mark and also on another note gently caress Marvel for cross-promot-ffffffffff
ffffffffffffffffffffff
fffffffffffffffffffff
fffffffffffffffffff

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

E&C, you're a good poster, and I ask this as a friend: Have you considered trying, like, a shitload of weed?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

X-O already covered the "Bendis is writing __________ in Jessica Jones) the exact interview that was linked and that was quoted by me has an interview with the writer of the book who says that in writing the book that the television show was not a huge influence on him and he's writing the character differently and more maturely than the character on the television show that was not a huge influence on him. He also identifies the character of Luke Cage which as the writer of the book coming out he will be writing as a "husband and father". Also he has been writing Luke Cage for the past year in Power Man & Iron Fist as a more mature husband and father that is not very influenced by the television version.

Also he is friends with Bendis and they live in the same town and they are co-teaching university classes so I know there is the long and storied belief that Bendis is someone who stomps in and tells everyone gently caress YOU IRON MAN IS DOCTOR DOOM NOW, I'M KILLING OFF WOLVERINE AND I DON'T GIVE A FIZZUCK WHAT YOU X-MEN ASSHOLES WERE WORKING ON, ALSO NO ONE CAN USE THE WORD "ME" IN A SCRIPT ANYMORE, THAT'S MY WORD, ONLY RIRI THE YASSSSSSSS QUEEN IS ALLOWED TO SAY ME, SUCK MY DICK FROM THE BACK I'M OUT OF HERE and then he peels out on his editor's face but as detached from reality that vision probably is in general, the fact that Bendis and Walker have been co-writing the characters of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones for the past year and are going to continue to do so for the next year and they are saying explicitly they are not slavishly devoted or influenced deeply by the television show and that Luke is married with a kid sort of leads me to believe that Rhyno's nervousness (which was not "I hope they don't do this" it was "they are doing this" is predicated more on not reading the interview than anything but hey.

I don't think it's anywhere in the rules of the forum that you actually have to read poo poo or cite facts or back up anything you ever say with evidence.
LOL yeah, good point. It's going to be super weird when Ben Urich is a dead black guy and Karen Page is alive and also every page has a PRESENTED BY NETFLIX water mark and also on another note gently caress Marvel for cross-promot-ffffffffff
ffffffffffffffffffffff
fffffffffffffffffffff
fffffffffffffffffff

Is Bendis actually teaching university classes? I can't tell where the truth stops and the hyperbole begins.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't know if he still is (I'll take E&C's word on that), but he absolutely did in the past.

https://www.pdx.edu/news/bestselling-comic-book-author-brian-michael-bendis-teaches-course-writing-graphic-novels-psu

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

site posted:

It's almost ironic that this issue of champions where waid is saying no you can't punch racists came out the week after the internet blew up cheering on a racist getting punched out

I know I'm late here (and outnumbered in that I seem to be the only one here who likes Champions) but it wasn't "you can't punch racists" it was "we as a superteam cant solve the problem of a racist elected official by just punching him".

Did everyone who hated that issue also wonder why the X-men didn't just punch Senator Kelly away?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I don't know if he still is (I'll take E&C's word on that), but he absolutely did in the past.

https://www.pdx.edu/news/bestselling-comic-book-author-brian-michael-bendis-teaches-course-writing-graphic-novels-psu

Huh. Neat. I don't care for a lot of his output these days but there's no denying he's written some good books and it's nice that there are some folks that will have him (or had him) as a teacher.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

I know I'm late here (and outnumbered in that I seem to be the only one here who likes Champions) but it wasn't "you can't punch racists" it was "we as a superteam cant solve the problem of a racist elected official by just punching him".

Did everyone who hated that issue also wonder why the X-men didn't just punch Senator Kelly away?

In retrospect, Magneto was right.

So was Cyclops.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay so ive made it to issue 7 in my first time reading nextwave and holy lol this book

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Okay so ive made it to issue 7 in my first time reading nextwave and holy lol this book

Well it is the official book of BSS, about time you got to it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Squirrel Girl prose novel is out now, enjoy an interview with the authors.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Well it is the official book of BSS, about time you got to it.

Hey i got a lot on my plate and only so much time

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

The Squirrel Girl prose novel is out now, enjoy an interview with the authors.

I didn't even know this was happening but it sounds super cute.

It'll probably be a lot better for kids to read and enjoy than my first superhero-book-that's-not-a-comic, the novelization of the Death of Superman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Hey i got a lot on my plate and only so much time

YOU WILL MAKE TIME.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TwoPair posted:

I didn't even know this was happening but it sounds super cute.

It'll probably be a lot better for kids to read and enjoy than my first superhero-book-that's-not-a-comic, the novelization of the Death of Superman.

To be fair that novelization is surprisingly solid for "We made an event comic into a book."

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I used to have that! It wasn't awful!

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

TwoPair posted:

Huh. Neat. I don't care for a lot of his output these days but there's no denying he's written some good books and it's nice that there are some folks that will have him (or had him) as a teacher.

Joshua Williamson of was one of his students.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Maltose posted:

To be fair that novelization is surprisingly solid for "We made an event comic into a book."

Roger Stern wrote it and he was one of the writers of the event.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well that was fun, just pretend i posted all 12 issues in the funny panels thread

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Well that was fun, just pretend i posted all 12 issues in the funny panels thread

Let's talk about the theme song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

• Locked thread