Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Nioh - Livin' the weab dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What exactly is the Guardian Spirit's "Special Ability"? Do you just hit O+Triangle against after it's summoned? Or am I missing something? It doesn't seem like it's doing anything.

Only thing that's bothering me so far is the control scheme. I'm using R1/R2 attacks and Square for block, but it still feels kind of unnatural.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I totally recommend the default control scheme or scheme D, having your stance buttons and attack and dodge buttons in order on the face buttons makes stance/pulsing more intuitive, imo.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I need some combat tips against the yoki guys you first run into. I'm starting to beat them, but I"m burning through items and dying once or twice each time. My best weapon atm is high stance with axe. I just don't know how to approach the drat things, they're super quick and they have good reach, so I can't block or avoid them very well.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
What I like to do for the red dudes is kite, bait, then counter after they attack. They all do real high damage so baiting out attacks in a large enough area is good enough for me. Any enclosed area is a death sentence unless you're reliably able to drop their ki like a rock.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Games goddamn system is so loving good, switching stances, ki bursing, flux, dodging like a champ and clowning on everything, never mind how versatile weapons are.

I'm only on mission 3 and I'm already planning on doing a dual sword/axe playthrough, focusing on katana/kusari for now.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

One thing that isn't mentioned in game, bigger yokai can be staggered if hit in the head. For example, you can shoot the Oni in the boat in the head with an arrow and it will get staggered pretty easily.

I'm not sure how useful it is towards the end of the game but it's certainly nice early on.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
This game seems to be a lot like Bloodborne in that many enemies are designed to punish backdashes. Forward dash all day erryday.

Casual Observer
Sep 15, 2011
So, I have been looking around trying to find an answer to my question, but, can't finding anything using Google.

I have a PS4 Pro and a 4k TV, and when I go into the System settings to change the game mode, I have three options, Action, Movie and Variable. Now, everything that I have seen says that the PS4 Pro gets the Action and Movie settings, but, the Variable setting is only for the regular PS4.

So, am I not actually outputting to the TV correctly in some way? Or does the PS4 Pro have all three options, and I just misunderstood how the layout was supposed to look in game?

This is probably a silly question, but, I just wanted to make sure I was getting my actual money's worth with the Pro.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Someone posted this earlier

code:
PS4 Pro Nioh Options

4K TVs
Movie Mode – Stable 3840×2160 resolution at 30fps.
Action Mode – Stable 1920×1080 resolution at 60fps.

1080p TVs
Movie Mode – Stable 1920×1080 resolution with high quality anti-aliasing at 30fps.
Action Mode – Stable 1920×1080 resolution at 60fps.

You can also play Nioh on a standard PS4 in 30fps, 30+fps, or 60fps:

PS4 Nioh Options
Movie Mode – This mode focuses on resolution over frame rate, offering beautiful high resolution graphics with stable 30fps.
Action Mode – Here the emphasis is on frame rate, providing a stable 60fps.
Movie Mode (Variable Frame Rate) – This option provides high resolution graphics with a variable frame rate that may go over 30fps.
edit: So someone was asking about this in the Discord chat and I did a quick look up on google. Seems like people are having issues with their pre-order codes. Namely from Amazon.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 8, 2017

Casual Observer
Sep 15, 2011
Yeah, that was what I was talking about.

My question is, if you have a PS4 Pro, are you supposed to be able to see the three choices that the regular PS4 gets in the system menu?

Cause all the articles made it seem like you should only get the two choices of Movie or Action, and Variable wouldn't even be an option to select.

Edit: Alright, finally found an article that outright says that all three modes are available on both consoles.

Sorry for the random silly question.

Casual Observer fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 8, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

weapons equipped but not in your active slot gain a trickle of familiarity just sitting there so if you're only using one thing you can put something with a skill you want to pass on in the other slot to slowly fill up

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Did anyone else get sent 2 preorder codes by amazon? The first had the three items for the standard preorder and the second I couldn't redeem, perhaps because it was the same as the first

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Relin posted:

Did anyone else get sent 2 preorder codes by amazon? The first had the three items for the standard preorder and the second I couldn't redeem, perhaps because it was the same as the first

i got 0 codes!!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
My code was already redeemed lol

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Alteisen posted:

Games goddamn system is so loving good, switching stances, ki bursing, flux, dodging like a champ and clowning on everything, never mind how versatile weapons are.

I'm only on mission 3 and I'm already planning on doing a dual sword/axe playthrough, focusing on katana/kusari for now.

If you want to go completely batshit crazy into ki-pulsing there's not only a skill that gives you ki back when you rotate through all 3 stances on a ki-pulse - there's a skill that gives you a special attack on a weapon switch during a ki pulse. Want to master 3 stances, and two complete weapon movesets? There's a skill for that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

What exactly is the Guardian Spirit's "Special Ability"? Do you just hit O+Triangle against after it's summoned? Or am I missing something? It doesn't seem like it's doing anything.

Only thing that's bothering me so far is the control scheme. I'm using R1/R2 attacks and Square for block, but it still feels kind of unnatural.

O+Triangle is the "living weapon" and requires you to fill the "amerita gauge" at the top right that has your pokemon's symbol. (And you have to have no bloodstain so your pokemon is with you)

Doing so makes you do tons of damage with a flaming/lightning/whatever weapon and you have infinite ki but taking damage reduces the living weapon gauge and then it goes away.

There's also both a spell and a consumable item which summons your pokemon themselves for a single attack, which varies between the different pokemon. You have to either use the item or the spell.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Does the item/spell for Guardian Spirit attack use your Spirit Gauge?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Does the item/spell for Guardian Spirit attack use your Spirit Gauge?

no

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The one that you activate by pressing circle + triangle while living weapon is active does use a chunk of the bar

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

The one that you activate by pressing circle + triangle while living weapon is active does use a chunk of the bar

That's what I meant. Do each of the guardian spirits have a different special attack (while living weapon is active)?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

That's what I meant. Do each of the guardian spirits have a different special attack (while living weapon is active)?

Yeah, I've only seen the shark one and they just float swirl around a little bit. Doesn't seem to be worth using over attacking yourself, but it might be useful for doing damage while dodging.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is it just an AoE damage of whatever element type they GS is connected to maybe?

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Kato the firefoxs special during living weapon is a pretty long fire dot, I usually spam light and heavy attack until my gauge is almost empty then I'll use the special to leave a dot as i revert back to normal weapons.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Nioh, being the tale of the world's first weeaboo and his journey to glorious Nippon to discover anime for the West.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

To get back his anime and prevent the west from taking over the world.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am having a very difficult time deciding on a build :ohdear:

I did well with katanas in the Last Chance Trial and I really like the Raikiri to go with my Spirit-heavy build, but also kusarigama are fun, and so are axes. I'm gonna respec a lot, I can already tell. And I have no idea if I'm going to dip into Magic or Dexterity or not, or if I'm going to go with light or medium armor.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I tried using the PS4 theme that came with the preorder bonus and it put my console into an infinite crash loop. Had to reboot in safe mod and reset to default settings to get it to stop.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Does the raikiri lightning katana only scale off spirit? I just picked it up but only have maybe 12 spirit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nigulus Rex posted:

Does the raikiri lightning katana only scale off spirit? I just picked it up but only have maybe 12 spirit

It scales with all the normal katana stats and also Spirit, I'm pretty sure. That's what makes it so cool.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
What is everyone doing with their garbage gear? Selling, disassembling or offering it for experience? I guess you can't go wrong with experience, I assume it's too early to know if crafting is going to be any good and if money is useful for anything other than crafting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I switch between equipped melee weapons? Seems like R2 but one box is empty despite having 2 weapons equipped.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

What is everyone doing with their garbage gear? Selling, disassembling or offering it for experience? I guess you can't go wrong with experience, I assume it's too early to know if crafting is going to be any good and if money is useful for anything other than crafting.

I've been disassembling everything. The amount of gear you get is unreal. Haven't forged or purchased anything either yet though.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

How do I switch between equipped melee weapons? Seems like R2 but one box is empty despite having 2 weapons equipped.

One is for melee and the other is ranged. Hold R2 and push left or right on the dpad.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Deified Data posted:

One is for melee and the other is ranged. Hold R2 and push left or right on the dpad.

R1 though, right?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah R1, R2 just swaps between consumables

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Co-op is loving hilarious. Game does not handle 2 players well because my buddy and I buzzsawed our way through the first level in less than 10 minutes.

It is lame that you have to beat the level first in single player before you can call in a buddy and make it your bitch in co-op. Dreams of full co-op playthrough ruined :(

katkillad2 posted:

I've been disassembling everything past the first level.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Hold R1 and press left or right on the d-pad. To switch ranged weapons, do the same and press up or down. R2 swaps your consumables d-pad menu.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

armor UNLIMITED ONMYO no matter how many you use your inventory never depletes.

+4%

what? Is it unlimited or 4% what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Chance to not use.

Translations bad yo