Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Puppy Time posted:

Man, don't sit around on the internet when you're grieving! That's like the worst decision ever. Go consume cute media or hang out with loved ones.

re: drama tendencies, I'm OK when they're about the media being criticized- that just seems like a given- but there is a tendency for people to just get stuck on an argument. Maybe if there are a lot of people dogpiling one poster, that poster should sit back and really evaluate whether they need to continue, if only because there's clearly no effective communication going on. (Probably the dogpilers, too.) Most of the time, if you just sit on your hands and let the thread move on, everyone will forget that you even posted and you can go back to not getting mad on the internet.

Like, take it from someone with actual medicated obsessive tendencies, that is really the healthiest route.

I was actually stopping right as I got owned by an internet celebrity.

But yeah I know, I am off to go read and play video games and in a week my brother's taking me to do an Escape Room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beefstew posted:

I don't like anyone but Augus.

This is an extremely good and cool post.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I was actually stopping right as I got owned by an internet celebrity.

But yeah I know, I am off to go read and play video games and in a week my brother's taking me to do an Escape Room

Have fun and I am sorry for your kitty loss! :(

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
I vote that Internet Critics' Pets become a valid subject of the thread.

For example: how awful is it that FoldableHuman named his cat Amy? Didn't he know Todd had reviewer dibs on pets named Amy?

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/827368270713851910

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Okay. You finally broke me. I can't do it anymore.

:siren: There is now a PYF internet video review thread on the PYF board. Here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809147 :siren:

Everyone here is welcome to have a look and contribute. If you are a content creator please post links and I will add to the OP.

This isn't any sort of rivalry. It seems clear a lot of posters (and just lurkers) aren't happy with the posting culture here and I think some of us would prefer a different atmosphere.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Is now a bad time to promote my latest video? I worked hard on it and I hope people like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtfm7LDtMpc

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

KKall posted:

Is now a bad time to promote my latest video?

As a rule, it is never a bad time, because your videos are cool and good.

Also RN I welcome pretty much any change of subject from stupid poo poo.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

KKall posted:

Is now a bad time to promote my latest video?

Nope! Added you to the OP in PYF, Kyle. :)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

KKall posted:

Is now a bad time to promote my latest video? I worked hard on it and I hope people like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtfm7LDtMpc

It's very good. :)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

KKall posted:

It's real cool; I watched it a short time ago. I can't imagine the amount of effort that went into it from a research and editing standpoint.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Pirate Jenny posted:

But the truth is I get far more people telling me that I did something good or worthwhile than I do the Vosgian Beasts of the world, and while we're (I'm) bearing our souls tonight, I wish I knew better how to respond to this. I've become so inundated to negativity that I do not know how properly to respond to positivity, even though I know I would do much more good by responding to the positive than the negative. Problem with having your nerves burned away is that you forget how to human.

I feel you on that. For various reasons (insert longpost here about self-esteem & childhood abuse issues) taking compliments or positive feedback was VERY hard for me. I worked on that over time via various means, but the best go-to advice I got was from an author I know who interacts a lot with the public.

His advice: Respond with "Thank you, I appreciate it". It feels strange at first. And then it becomes a habit, an almost habitual response. Which also feels strange, because then you fight off the inner demons of "AHHH YOU ARE BEING A FRAUD HACK LIAR AND THEY KNOW IT".

"Thank you, I appreciate it [the compliment]". Or a variant like "Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it."

It becomes a positive interaction. The person gave me a compliment, I feel good. I thanked them for it, and so they feel good. It's a quick thing, works well both in person or in response to a comment/tweet.

If you are up for a more interactive session with the person, you can start a dialog off it real easy by adding a positive statement to the end about the piece in question.

"Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I really felt that was one of my funniest videos."

For me, I do a lot of cooking, baking, etc. I'm really good at it. So I had to learn to take compliments, especially at parties or something. This has helped me, example:

"Hey Lorne that was really great stew."
"Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it."
(person goes away to have more food).

Or
"Wow, Lorne, the cookies turned out the best ever.
"Thank you, appreciate it. I think they turned perfectly chewy this time, one of my best batches."
"Oh yeah, what did you do different?"
"(insert long discussion about the melting point of butter, and the effects of brown sugar....)"

.... so I'll just cap off a post that was longer than I meant it to be by saying I really enjoy your work, and you do an excellent job!

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

KKall posted:

This is fascinating and makes me feel super unobservant. I like that it could have been a series of snarky nitpicks, but wasn't.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I've only ever seen one film set in the city where I live, Hobart Australia, and that film was some PoS scyfy channel crap. It was hilarious seeing characters walk into one building and see another from the inside, or driving down one street to arrive a destination the other side of town. It was like this was a part of most peoples movie going experiences and I had just never noticed it before. It made me wonder how people from LA or NYC or wherever else movies are generally made are not eternally frustrated.

In other words, nice video Kyle.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The new Plinketto episode was pretty good. It's a sad Rich only has two weeks left, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jimbot posted:

The new Plinketto episode was pretty good. It's a sad Rich only has two weeks left, though.

Is he going to die from eating too many marvel hot dogs?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

That or he is going to be killed for his lottery money.

Link for context: http://www.funnyjunk.com/Love+me+some+real+news/funny-pictures/6126776/

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's the prion disease.

Shaq meat may be delicious and juicy, but it has a price most dear.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Uhhh so yeah tbh I'm stupid and likely ADD so any time I see massive text dumps here I can't pay attention enough to read it, that was the main reason I stopped posting as much. Not that I can say I was super regular at posting but yeah. The new thread looks cool!

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Wrageowrapper posted:

I've only ever seen one film set in the city where I live, Hobart Australia, and that film was some PoS scyfy channel crap.

Dude, there's a major motion picture out right now primarily set in Hobart Australia, it's nominated for a bunch of Oscars and stuff including Best Picture. It's called "Lion" with Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So, back in July, I had a complete meltdown and was diagnosed with anxiety disorder. When that happened, fun internet videos went from something I enjoyed to one of my coping mechanism. I've got others, of course, I'm not some kind of obsessive nut (hanging out with family or friends, addiction to lovely japanese mobile phone games, others...).

Anyway, what I'm saying is that whenever one of channels I'm following posts a new video (including, but not limited to, Kyle, Allison, Lindsay, hbomberguy, the cinema Brad, Todd, folding ideas, every frame a painting, NCG, nerdwriter, RLM, joueur du grenier andothers) my day gets a bit brighter. So when you read some terrible comment on your video, you can think there's at leas one fat canadian nerd who's really happy it got posted.

I feel it's important to tell people you appreciate the stuff they're doing. Positivity is important.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

bbf2 posted:

Dude, there's a major motion picture out right now primarily set in Hobart Australia, it's nominated for a bunch of Oscars and stuff including Best Picture. It's called "Lion" with Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman.

Completely forgot about that. I'll get around to watching it one day.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is everyone posting in the PYF thread now?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's a different crowd. If you have things to post, just post post post.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Considering that the PYF thread focuses on videos we could differentiate this thread by having a bit more focus on articles.

Speaking of, MrBtongue is doing a weekly series of articles griping about Game of Thrones on Shamus Young's blog.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=36666
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=36856
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=36964

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Wrageowrapper posted:

I've only ever seen one film set in the city where I live, Hobart Australia, and that film was some PoS scyfy channel crap. It was hilarious seeing characters walk into one building and see another from the inside, or driving down one street to arrive a destination the other side of town. It was like this was a part of most peoples movie going experiences and I had just never noticed it before. It made me wonder how people from LA or NYC or wherever else movies are generally made are not eternally frustrated.

The only movie I've seen set in my city was a Danish childrens movie. The city is known as "The City of The Smile" and won this year's culture capitol of the year award. Apparently we're riddled with creepy junkies. They didn't even bother to shoot at our actual train station. I think the only scene actually shot in Århus was right outside of where I lived, so that was pretty cool I guess.
But the big travesty was hearing Copenhageners try to talk with a Jutlandish dialect.

drat Danish is pretty stupid when you try to translate it.

Also, I'm happy that I really dig every critic who has posted in this thread. Apropos, Infamous Sphere you don't get enough love around here! I absolutely loved your videos on queer musicians. Have you ever thought about making a video about queer hiphop artist?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wrageowrapper posted:

Literally every Swedish film produced in the last 10 years has scenes filmed from around where I grew up (It's a Vancouver-like situation) on the swedish countryside and the neighboring 50 000 people town. It's very trippy.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Akett posted:

Considering that the PYF thread focuses on videos we could differentiate this thread by having a bit more focus on articles.

Speaking of, MrBtongue is doing a weekly series of articles griping about Game of Thrones on Shamus Young's blog.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=36666
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=36856
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=36964

I have to say, starting right off the bat with "People don't actually like this thing they like!" is really going to make me struggle to shed the feeling that he's just upset people like a thing he doesn't.

Edit: Happy to say that the rest of it was more than enough to shed that feeling!

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 10, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He misses why Game of Thrones and ASOIAF have always been bad. They're very bad pulp that rely on shock value instead of truly interesting writing or profound fantasy. Their storylines are predicated on building on the next Big Shock, whether it's someone important dying, a massacre, or an awesome fight.

Also ASOIAF's prose was never good, which is a bit of death sentence for a series of novels.

Instead of plainly observing that, we get an article is just expounding on how illogical some story arc is. It's disappointing because his videos are decent.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 10, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The worldbuilding chapters are by far the best part of thenovels imho. That's why I gave up on the tv show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How many movies does Brad Jones see in a row for those midnight screening videos? He just put up three that seem to happen on the same night, and he mentions having to go see another movie that's starting right at the end of his Fifty Shades of Gray II video.

That man has an iron constitution, and a perfect recall of all subgenres of sleaze. How often does he end up seeing a good movie? Like one out of every ten?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Folding Ideas just released a great video on Triumph of the Will. I learned something!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ1Qm1Z_D7w&t=3s

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Today I realized I laugh like Rich Evans.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jack Gladney posted:

How many movies does Brad Jones see in a row for those midnight screening videos? He just put up three that seem to happen on the same night, and he mentions having to go see another movie that's starting right at the end of his Fifty Shades of Gray II video.

That man has an iron constitution, and a perfect recall of all subgenres of sleaze. How often does he end up seeing a good movie? Like one out of every ten?

He's said that he often sees 4+ movies on a busy week. This week he saw six so he could have eps in the bag for when he goes on vacation.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

He misses why Game of Thrones and ASOIAF have always been bad. They're very bad pulp that rely on shock value instead of truly interesting writing or profound fantasy. Their storylines are predicated on building on the next Big Shock, whether it's someone important dying, a massacre, or an awesome fight.

Also ASOIAF's prose was never good, which is a bit of death sentence for a series of novels.

Instead of plainly observing that, we get an article is just expounding on how illogical some story arc is. It's disappointing because his videos are decent.

Also GRRM basically stole his entire style from Richard Monaco's Grail War he just knew how to market a book and released his series at the exact perfect time for it to get big. It really just goes to prove that the key to being extremely successful in mainstream media is to steal from things no one has ever heard of and have impeccable timing.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
Noah just posted an addition to his Homeworld video looking at the Deserts of Kharak prequel that came out last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG9Hvt4p7U8

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Presenting the latest post-Christmas video from JonTron:

(this space left blank)

Really, no reason to post this other than to test my profile settings.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lornekates posted:

Really, no reason to post this other than to test my profile settings.

The Internet Critic thread is finally fulfilling a useful purpose on the forums :buddy:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkEdyq3UE5M

Redlettermedia covers one of my favourite films, Starship Troopers.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
hey horrible poster cyron here i am wondering if we can bring up internet critics/podcasters who review wrestling. i recommend any podcast from Kevin Mahon like the attitude era podcast and how2wrestling. https://soundcloud.com/the-attitude-era-podcast

i feel their a good mix of jokes and when poo poo goes down that is horrable they call it out.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Cyron posted:

hey horrible poster cyron here i am wondering if we can bring up internet critics/podcasters who review wrestling. i recommend any podcast from Kevin Mahon like the attitude era podcast and how2wrestling. https://soundcloud.com/the-attitude-era-podcast

i feel their a good mix of jokes and when poo poo goes down that is horrable they call it out.

Pretty much anybody on the Internet Darlings panel is a safe bet. Wrestling With Wregret (who organized it) and What Culture Wrestling are my personal favorites. What Culture actually runs their own indie promotion in the UK, so their video do usually end with a commercial, but their stuff usually is halfway decent.

While we're on the subject of the Internet Darlings panel.... I'd recommend against watching (or listening to) The Whole loving Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNlm10le0m4&t=119s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Pretty much anybody on the Internet Darlings panel is a safe bet. Wrestling With Wregret (who organized it) and What Culture Wrestling are my personal favorites. What Culture actually runs their own indie promotion in the UK, so their video do usually end with a commercial, but their stuff usually is halfway decent.

While we're on the subject of the Internet Darlings panel.... I'd recommend against watching (or listening to) The Whole loving Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNlm10le0m4&t=119s

it hard to find good youtubers or internet fan reviews of wrestling shows, for every Billy Zane and Kevin Mahon there are just 100,000 assholes who just bitch it's not the attitude era and how cena is the devil. spoony is one of them when he did wrestling videos, and the whole fuckin show are wannabe shock jocks.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 13, 2017

• Locked thread