Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drifter posted:

Ves is just having an allergic reaction to whatever toxins where in Geralt's system during Witcher 2.

Oh, poo poo, the scientists from Flotsam were successful in making him fertile again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

TenaciousD posted:

None.

I personally like TW2 more than TW3 base. Although HoS is better than both of them, TW2 is a bit janky, but there's nothing wrong with the combat. Go for a sword and alchemy build, and even on Dark difficulty, you'll slay everything.

Examples (who needs Quen?):
https://gfycat.com/ThornyThunderousBlacklab
https://gfycat.com/ExhaustedChillyGnat
https://gfycat.com/BruisedWhiteEagle
Wrong sword? No problem.
https://gfycat.com/GrouchyFancyFruitbat

Also, pick the elf, then replay and pick the soldier. I'm biased, but Vergen is so pretty, and the music there is great.

Also, the way Geralt holds his sword with both hands is badass.

Well, I was hoping for something along the lines of a mod for the map. I hardly ever use mods but I was finding navigation very frustrating. I know Flotsam like the back of my hand now (which I will never do with most of the cities in TW3) but prior to that I spent many unproductive hours getting lost. :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh, poo poo, the scientists from Flotsam were successful in making him fertile again!

I can't remember but does ANYTHING come of that in Witcher 3? I encountered it again during my recent playthrough of Witcher 2 and I couldn't remember if it's touched on again.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Jerusalem posted:

I can't remember but does ANYTHING come of that in Witcher 3? I encountered it again during my recent playthrough of Witcher 2 and I couldn't remember if it's touched on again.

Brought up in a note, but there's no consequence for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like to think Geralt is going to have a lot of white haired kids running around.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like to think Geralt is going to have a lot of white haired kids running around.

Super awkward when Triss, Yenn, a bunch of hookers, Shani, some Nilfgaardian spy, and who knows who else are popping out kids at more or less the same time.

I didn't bang Shani in Witcher 3, that'd be hosed up to Yenn. But it really, really pushes you that way.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

Super awkward when Triss, Yenn, a bunch of hookers, Shani, some Nilfgaardian spy, and who knows who else are popping out kids at more or less the same time.

I didn't bang Shani in Witcher 3, that'd be hosed up to Yenn. But it really, really pushes you that way.

It's Shani. Yen would've understood. :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mlmp08 posted:

Yen, Triss, Fringilla and Keira are fine. Sorceresses are infertile as well.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, I totally banged Keira. Don't feel bad about it, cause she lived.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There's also the random lady in Skellige you can best in combat, mysterious Gwent lady, and the Duchess's sister. That last one is going to be the real problem if kids are involved.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

mlmp08 posted:

Yen visited me in Blood & Wine after I'd banged one chick in each expansion and Keira in the main game and said nothing, so I assume she doesn't mind and is probably getting strange of her own offscreen.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The beginning of the game is a little hard to pass if you don't know the Lore, because Ciri is designed to look like Geralt with the white hair and scar, but she's not actually his daughter, but she is kind of his foster daughter I guess, maybe because he wanted to keep her safe from the emperor...?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ciri is Geralt and Yen's adopted daughter, and is estranged from her mean, biological Emperor dad, was my impression from pretty early on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

The beginning of the game is a little hard to pass if you don't know the Lore, because Ciri is designed to look like Geralt with the white hair and scar, but she's not actually his daughter, but she is kind of his foster daughter I guess, maybe because he wanted to keep her safe from the emperor...?

Actually, Ciri got her scar before Geralt. Geralt's Scar happened during his journey to find the Wild Hunt between the books and the games.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2house2fly posted:

so I assume she doesn't mind and is probably getting strange of her own offscreen.

When you talk to Letho at the end of Witcher 2, he tells about how Yennefer was constantly a huge pain in the rear end for them after Geralt left her in their care, including trying to seduce Auckes just to make life difficult for them :laugh:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

There's also the random lady in Skellige you can best in combat, mysterious Gwent lady, and the Duchess's sister. That last one is going to be the real problem if kids are involved.

Ooo, thanks. Here I was thinking I'd bedded everyone already.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also the whores, I guess, but why anyone would pay in game currency for that, I couldn't tell you.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Didn't Geralt's hair go white from some extra mutations he went through? Would that even be genetic?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RatHat posted:

Didn't Geralt's hair go white from some extra mutations he went through? Would that even be genetic?

The mutations alter his genetic structure so yeah, probably would be hereditary.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God drat its annoying to have to craft witcher sets from the start to create the grand master stuff, which is even harder because I'm missing one part of most of the sets. I wonder if there's a mod that removes that requirement.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The mutations alter his genetic structure so yeah, probably would be hereditary.

I think the current science on stuff like that is a "maybe , depending on how and what it modifies" and given that it's a universe where if you're enough of a dick to your girlfriend she'll die from heartbreak then turn into a ghost that kills dozens of people, science probably shouldn't enter the conversation at all.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bicyclops posted:

Also the whores, I guess, but why anyone would pay in game currency for that, I couldn't tell you.
In B&W there's still a bug (as far as I can tell) that makes prostitutes stay in the room after sex, still naked so when you hire another one the previous one is present in the background during cutscenes following Geralt around with her eyes. I managed to have 4 whores in the room this way - 1 in bed and 3 standing right next to it, staring and silently judging Geralt's every move.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Palpek posted:

In B&W there's still a bug (as far as I can tell) that makes prostitutes stay in the room after sex, still naked so when you hire another one the previous one is present in the background during cutscenes following Geralt around with her eyes. I managed to have 4 whores in the room this way - 1 in bed and 3 standing right next to it, staring and silently judging Geralt's every move.

I smell a new mod.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn Witcher 3 is pretty as gently caress with all the settings turned up to the maximum. I thought it looked good on my 970 on my first couple of playthroughs with a mix of mid-to-upper range settings but it's incredible on Ultra everything.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn Witcher 3 is pretty as gently caress with all the settings turned up to the maximum. I thought it looked good on my 970 on my first couple of playthroughs with a mix of mid-to-upper range settings but it's incredible on Ultra everything.
Now download https://reshade.me/ and turn on a couple filters on top of it to be blown away. Especially the sharpening filters enhance a lot of little details. It's very easy to install and run.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
I was playing the Gwent standalone, and the troll at the shop dropped this great solo:

"Po-po-po-pokie rock, pokie rock."

Between this, and pam pam param, someone at CDPR is a massive Lady Gaga fan.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also Yen totally cheated on my friend Geralt with Istredd.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

DoctorGonzo posted:

Also Yen totally cheated on my friend Geralt with Istredd.

Istredd got owned

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The way it always came across to me was everyone is loving everyone and it only becomes a problem if you claim you love a bunch of folks. I totally assumed Triss and Yennifer were getting hooked up on the side too.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Geralt and Istredd totally hosed while bawling their eyes out over Yenn leaving them both.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Geralt got even with Fringilla so they are cool right now.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Palpek posted:

Now download https://reshade.me/ and turn on a couple filters on top of it to be blown away. Especially the sharpening filters enhance a lot of little details. It's very easy to install and run.

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I'm taking a look at this for the first time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Palpek posted:

Will check this out, thanks

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

One of the funnier parts in the books is Yenn taking Geralt to the fancy sorceress party where he originally meets most of these women. They all flirt with him pretty hard and Yenn gets madder and madder while Geralt just complains about the buffet.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was trying to explain this game to my housemates, and my one roomie said the most unrealistic part of the game is how few Witchers there are. Like, obviously in Medieval times, a dude who cannot possibly get you pregnant or sick with his ding-dong and is pretty much always in peak physical condition (and never gets tired...) is definitely going to be one prime pick for any ladies out there, and plenty of duds too... and that's before you add in force powers and potions and all the other cool poo poo.

Like, I'd just set up shop at Kaer Moren like the punks from Fight Club until Lambert or whoever lets me in.

What's the in game reason for Witcher's going out of style? I feel like 1/2 really pushed the idea that Witcher's were dwindling into obscurity, but I've met 3-4 playing W3 and i'm not getting any sense of witchers being weird or outdated from this game.

Also, I just beat Witcher 2 right before buying and playing W3 and I couldn't imagine playing through that game again. I did Roche's missions (neck tattoo for life) and thought Act 2 of W2 was the most boring slog of a game I'd ever forced myself through. I was playing on Death March, and the part where you have to fight like 4 soldiers and a boss monster while playing as a regular rear end skeleton with no witcher powers was abysmal. And then I find out that the Iorveth quests are just that dinky little village in the mountains and that horrible twisty cave system with a totally useless and at times very misleading map... Yeah I have the perfect Witcher Game, its the Witcher 3, theres nothing left for me in those other games lol.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bust Rodd posted:

What's the in game reason for Witcher's going out of style?

I never read any of the books, but it's implied that the Wolf School witchers all deliberately lost the formulas for creating witchers so that they would have an excuse not to put any more kids through the witcher-creating process, because the Trial of Grasses was super super traumatic and they all have a lot of physical and emotion scars from it.

Add on to that the fact that 99% of the populace either doesn't know witchers have those advantages or believes witchers are actually monsters themselves, and add on to that the fact that 99% of the populace doesn't know witchers have a secret mountain castle they live at, and add on to that the fact that 99% of the populace doesn't know witchers are made from normal people, yeah I can see why they don't have people lining up to try to join.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mzbundifund posted:

and add on to that the fact that 99% of the populace doesn't know witchers are made from normal people, yeah I can see why they don't have people lining up to try to join.
The last part is fairly well known.

But you have to be like 1-2 or whatever (Lambert implies that being him being taken as a Witcher at a conscious age was relatively rare) to be trained and mutated properly.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Also, there's generally been less of a need for them after civilization grew to the point were it could raise armies large enough that throwing a couple of dozen poor loving infantry at monster became a feasible solution.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Slashrat posted:

Also, there's generally been less of a need for them after civilization grew to the point were it could raise armies large enough that throwing a couple of dozen poor loving infantry at monster became a feasible solution.

The Church also likes having their own controllable monster squad instead of having to deal with those unsavory, godless-or-however-the-beliefs-of-eternal-fire-works witchers.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

yeah, the reason why witchers are a dying breed is because people are starting to get organized enough where a professional monster slayer isn't needed anymore in the eyes of most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Also, I just beat Witcher 2 right before buying and playing W3 and I couldn't imagine playing through that game again. I did Roche's missions (neck tattoo for life) and thought Act 2 of W2 was the most boring slog of a game I'd ever forced myself through. I was playing on Death March, and the part where you have to fight like 4 soldiers and a boss monster while playing as a regular rear end skeleton with no witcher powers was abysmal. And then I find out that the Iorveth quests are just that dinky little village in the mountains and that horrible twisty cave system with a totally useless and at times very misleading map... Yeah I have the perfect Witcher Game, its the Witcher 3, theres nothing left for me in those other games lol.

I actually really dug Roche's Act 2 (Iorveth's had a good story too but the city and especially those caves underneath were a pain in the rear end to navigate), I liked being in and around the army camp and dealing with all the bullshit that goes on while an army is waiting for the battle to begin. I think part of what I really dug about the game is that even though you only get one side of the story it still feels "complete". Doing the game again with the different choice fills you in on the bigger picture and adds a lot of context, but the first time I finished the game I didn't feel like I had missed out on anything.

Shifting to different characters without any of Geralt's abilities was a pain for sure, especially on the highest difficulties, but so long as you've got ability points in parry/riposte you can still trivialize most fights.

Edit: Also having started up Witcher 3 again I cracked up when I read the note in White Orchard about Odrin showing up and being a loving disaster :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 8, 2017