Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"HAHAHA! HAHAHA! THIS PERSON DEFINITELY ISN'T MENTALLY ILL," the commandos exclaim while backing away slowly.

"GOSH THE STAR CITIZEN COMMUNITY IS SO GREAT AND NOT AT ALL TOTALLY loving TERRIFYING!" they yell when they unexpectedly bump into the Benefits Of Castration Guy, the Inevitable Consequences Of Piracy Guy, and the Guy Who Dresses Like A Bunny And Takes Pictures Of His Sex Dolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
lol I guess his package isn't as big as he thought it was

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

still the creepiest thing to come out of the thread, and this thread has photos of the doubled-up underarms of ben lesnick as well as grilled cheese sandwich

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

What I am going to lose my poo poo about is when ol Daren here breaks the internet in loving half after he finishes and releases LOD to Xbox and it becomes a Platinum hit. Can you imagine that poo poo? During this whole time he has been taking poo poo from everyone about LOD he was actually changing everything and making it really kickass? All before Star Citizen gets out of Alpha no less? Now I realize I have had a few drinks tonight, but gently caress all that would be funny as hell!

DapperDon fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 8, 2017

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

What is it with Mr. 50 Shades here and that WWE chokehold?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

DapperDon posted:

What is it with Mr. 50 Shades here and that WWE chokehold?
Lots of free livestream alcohol.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Amarcarts posted:

lol I guess his package isn't as big as he thought it was

He bought a standalone football, it didn't include the game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

DapperDon posted:

What I am going to lost my poo poo about is when ol Daren here breaks the internet in loving half after he finishes and releases LOD to Xbox and it becomes a Platinum hit. Can you imagine that poo poo? During this whole time he has been taking poo poo from everyone about LOD he was actually changing everything and making it really kickass? All before Star Citizen gets out of Alpha no less? Now I realize I have had a few drinks tonight, but gently caress all that would be funny as hell!

A good post in a thread about poo poo that isn't going to happen.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Tokamak posted:

The Benefits of Castration self.starcitizen
Submitted 3 hours ago by jadesuccubusDoctor

Hello, my fellow citizens! I'd like to go over some medical notes in regard to bounty hunting and helping those that do similar jobs obtain some extra safety and budget flexibility.

In the live game, if you do higher risk work there's going to be a major factors on if you make money: Ship capacity.

What I refer to is if you have a ship with four prisoner pods, you're capped at a maximum of four prisoners via the pods at once. The storage capacity will influence which contracts and missions will generate profit or loss due to this cap: EG five capture contracts in one area may require a return trip and additional fuel/time cost or lower the profit beyond what it could be due to increased expenses. I've previously made a thesis on helping bounty hunters here, however new information has been laid out since then.

In particular, one bit may aid lower budget bounty hunters, mercs and organizations that don't yet have a lot of resources to increase their safety nets and cost-effectiveness: the combination of the limb damage system and the ability to place people in crates.

If you are a poorer player starting with only a humble aurora to your name, you may not be able to have multiple prisoner pods - but you could instead have a single storage crate for that you can stuff a human in after removing their arms and legs. You may even be able to create makeshift crates such as using a mustang's bathroom or simply keeping the body on the floor, if the arms and legs have been removed and they cannot move or attempt malcompliance.

Remember: a requirement to deliver someone alive does not necessarily mean in one piece - if they need to confess, they need to speak. They don't need to walk, see, hold things, or have testicles producing testosterone that increases aggression, upper body strength, and risks of malcompliance - so if you have a simple medkit, these non-essential items can be removed by crippling the arms, legs, and torso into a ruined state then halting the bleeding.

This may allow a humble aurora/mustang pilot, or other organizations that need to reduce costs and increase profit margin so they can upgrade their equipment faster, to have more saving power and more flexibility for taking on jobs as well as bigger cash reserves for safety nets. Suppose you are a small family organization and the only member on is a low-budget kiddo with an aurora that plays with his father. You can have more credits on hand to help him out if he's mauled by pirates if your profit margins are higher. At the risk of making a cliche, think of the children!

If it is not possible for a target with ruined arms to open doors, you may be able to safely store prisoners in a bathroom, closet, box, on the counter in a mustang, under the bed, or in any other random location, which will allow much more flexibility in which ships can take on which jobs and much less restriction on storage space for prisoners. That means higher profit margins!

Hopefully, the reduced weight of the lost limbs will allow some space efficiency like placing multiple prisoners in a box. This brings up another point though - the importance of castration.

It's listed that the torso on the medical diagrams will each have consequences for being ruined - in the case of the torso, it encompasses the groin, heart, lungs, and though they are non-essential many males seem to consider them so, testicles. Presumably there will be related penalties to a ruined torso. In the case of a male NPC, the removal of the testicles can mirror soviet medical experiment results IRL - that the lack of testosterone production will reduce rebelliousness and malcompliance risks. This has several effects on a real human:

A) The subject will not have as much upper body strength and will not be as likely to instigate a prison riot or be as difficult to restrain.

B) The subject will suffer negative psychological effects due to the loss of testosterone production and may be more compliant with interrogation, forced labor, protracted detainment, etc.

C) The subject will in addition to being unable to assault the bounty hunter or otherwise disrupt the operation due to limb removal, potentially slip into depression and can be controlled via medications that will make them more dependent on the prison, or if they need testosterone for forced labor, it can be provided by supplement rather than produced naturally, for the same reason of increasing compliance due to dependency on provision of the supplement. To be fair, I got that idea from half life 2's stalkers that have their organs removed to hook them on a nutrition provided by the combine and cause them to starve in the event of malcompliance and hands removed for tool grafts - which I think is an excellent idea if prisoner management becomes a thing in-universe.

The effects of the above could be placed in for NPC's to increase the ease of an interrogation, reduce costs, increase compliance or confession chances, or any other possible benefit of the above, should castration be included in torso ruining in addition to the heart, lungs, and others. Most males I know seem to consider the testicles a critical item so I think it's fair the removal of them have consequences, at least in the case of male human NPC's. Possibly also an option for capturing and interrogating Vanduul if their physiology has similar consequences for their removal, so this may be very helpful for management of Vanduul prisoners as well.

Anyway, TL;DR: due to the ability to "hide" a person in a crate, it may be possible to forcefully place a prisoner in a crate or mundane location such as a bathroom via crippling the arms, legs, and torso/groin. This could allow lower budget organizations, casual players, poorer players, smaller orgs, etc. to have more flexibility in which members and which ships can take which roles, and help overcome lower profit margin penalties that would otherwise occur. This could be especially helpful for small family orgs that have say a parent and a child that are playing together and may not have a lot of free time and need some higher profit margins. It could be helpful to them if a humble aurora can be used to cart around prisoners instead of needing to obtain a ship with a full prison pod loadout first. Similarly, this could increase flexibility of other ships such as a freelancer or cutlass red to take on a non-traditional role and store captives in this manner.

Thank you for reading, and I hope this was helpful to you; especially for those just starting out, and those that must start from little at live! May fortune favor you.

<3Mwah

~Doctor Jade

If me and my child can't blow the limbs and testicles off slaves to make efficient use of our storage space, WTF did I even pay for?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

poo poo. Gold shirt guy is gone too? When did that happen?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Hobold posted:

poo poo. Gold shirt guy is gone too? When did that happen?

Not too long after citizens pooled like $50k to fix his broken daughter.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

the new battlefront has new order/resistance factions and a single player storyline around the rebels timeline, fyi

Is this the Battlefront currently out? Or a new one they're making?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Thoatse posted:

Not too long after citizens pooled like $50k to fix his broken daughter.

Hah. Thats kinda amusing. At least he had enough sense to get out after milking the whales one more time.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

quote:

A) The subject will not have as much upper body strength and will not be as likely to instigate a prison riot or be as difficult to restrain.

I like that his first concern about a legless, armless torso person is their ability to start prison riots.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Hobold posted:

Hah. Thats kinda amusing. At least he had enough sense to get out after milking the whales one more time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/48qr6r/help_mark_skelton/

Bookmark the next 3 months!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4laa7y/mark_skelton_no_longer_employed_at_cig/

oh...

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

his nibs posted:

hey they don't give those hoodies to just anyone you know

you have to buy them https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/SQ42-Hoodie/XS

!!!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Starring Sandi Kaczynski as... The UniTickler

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

So with all the easy inter-ship instancing worked out, when are we going to hear news on the super complex Facebook I mean Spectrum.

They champion open development but have gone dark about a web communication portal that could be a great example of improvements at...

Who am I kidding..... Get a refund folks

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Tippis posted:

No-one knows, least of all CIG.
MegaMap is just the idea of not having a fixed space that you move around in, but rather that the player is the centre of their respective universe, and everything is loaded in around them at the appropriate pace. Coincidentally, MegaMap, if they used it intelligently, would remove the need for stuff like localised physics and even many of the issues related to instancing. But they're not doing that.

I am still confused by this concept. I thought that using fixed point, 64-bit floating point and such, the whole point was to keep the animation system stable so that things don't go funky when you render distance things/things far from the world-space origin. If you can see distant things, which I thought was the whole point of worrying about this, then rendering them will require some form of more stable data representations. I don't think that goes away if you have a player-centric view of the deltas or not.

Also, surely they are doing something like 32-bit float sub-region relative positions, 32-bit float solar system or what ever relative positions, where the sum equals the true absolute world space positions. I can't see how just using doubles alone is going to be stable for boned animations for example. The relative difference in scale between a lever on some gun, say, and a planet is going to be too large to be stable, right? I could work it out proper if I knew how big their planets and solar systems 'are.

At least, that is my experiences and from believing what Tom Forsyth thinks on this subject.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

AP posted:

How do we provide windows search with a solution for this issue?

What exactly is the point of that box? It sounds more like "Sending stack dump to Microsoft(TM) databases, please don't try to do other things..".

Is there an example where that box comes back and goes "Here is a solution we found: ..."?

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Im still convinced wtfosauras is the Scranton strangler.

Boobo
Apr 9, 2007
I'd like to take a moment to thank and appreciate MoMA for being here through thick and thin. You deserve a god drat medal for still posting after thousands of pages. Every day I come back here to see if you've gotten a refund and every day the tension grows.

I really hope you get one, but I'll be sad when it happens. You keep these threads alive.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

his nibs posted:

Tis true I do like to mock the afflicted

specifically Canadian redheads

I get what ur saying but I am an actual Canadian red head and I am triggered and offended. I also have no soul.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Isn't that Swofford in the middle of the top row, with the gloves? He was just retweeting those bogus puff pieces he lined up a couple weeks back. Surely he hasn't been cut loose just yet.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sillybones posted:

I am still confused by this concept. I thought that using fixed point, 64-bit floating point and such, the whole point was to keep the animation system stable so that things don't go funky when you render distance things/things far from the world-space origin. If you can see distant things, which I thought was the whole point of worrying about this, then rendering them will require some form of more stable data representations. I don't think that goes away if you have a player-centric view of the deltas or not.

Also, surely they are doing something like 32-bit float sub-region relative positions, 32-bit float solar system or what ever relative positions, where the sum equals the true absolute world space positions. I can't see how just using doubles alone is going to be stable for boned animations for example. The relative difference in scale between a lever on some gun, say, and a planet is going to be too large to be stable, right? I could work it out proper if I knew how big their planets and solar systems 'are.

At least, that is my experiences and from believing what Tom Forsyth thinks on this subject.

No...Megamap is basically the concept of jumping to different areas of the game (Arena Commander, Hanger module, Star Marine) without the loading/main menu screen poo poo.

Yeah, it is confusing. You think "Megamap" would include giant worlds but alas, it doesn't.

A spergs dream is flying out of their hanger with their jpegs. Are there one million hanger doors built into the cliff when you look back?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sillybones posted:

Oh, right. That's another bit of troublesome tech that megamap could render void if they applied it correctly.

Yes, 64bit is necessary if you want to track tons of details at large distances but only if the objects you're tracking are spread over a static coordinate system. You need to know that, when one player is at [4k, -16km, 2km], another player at [-1km, +12km, 0km] isn't spazzing out due to low distance granularity when both are so far from [0,0,0] (rendering is less of an issue here — that's converted to and done at 32bit regardless because that's what your GFX card is using). Everyone exists within the same coordinate system, and everyone needs to maintain reasonable precision not to skip around too much.

But… if you really embraced the megamap concept, then that would only ever have to happen on the server side, and you'd have other means of working around that 64bit issue anyway. All world-level position tracking is done there, and nowhere else, so it's only on the server that you need any kind of high precision. Locally, it wouldn't be a problem to just use 32bit because the player is always at [0,0,0] and anything that's really far off will be… well… far off so they wont' skip around anyway. A ±1m imprecision in location won't matter because the other guy is 20km away and can hardly be seen anyway — he's a static pixel no matter how ridiculously imprecise that placement is. And from his perspective, he is at [0,0,0] and you are 20km away.

Colostomy Bag posted:

No...Megamap is basically the concept of jumping to different areas of the game (Arena Commander, Hanger module, Star Marine) without the loading/main menu screen poo poo.

Yeah, it is confusing. You think "Megamap" would include giant worlds but alas, it doesn't.

Well, sure, that may be what it ends up as — we're talking about the concept as it has been described by Tracy.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/DisturbedJim83/status/779136806872838144

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

If I had a dime for every time DisturbedJim posted fantasies about Derek's penis...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wise Learned Man posted:

If I had a dime for every time DisturbedJim posted fantasies about Derek's penis...

You could be a Completionist with an Idris for each day of the week, AND an autographed nude of Sandi?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I gave up smoking a little over a week ago, after 20 years of cancer sticks.

It's going well so far, '0' ciggs smoked, I've not murdered all in my path due to nicotine withdrawl anger. Feel chill as heck tbh :)

Thought I'd share because, why the gently caress not? :)

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Today I learned you can put porn on Twitter. I'm super glad I learned this at home.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Tippis posted:

Oh, right. That's another bit of troublesome tech that megamap could render void if they applied it correctly.

Yes, 64bit is necessary if you want to track tons of details at large distances but only if the objects you're tracking are spread over a static coordinate system. You need to know that, when one player is at [4k, -16km, 2km], another player at [-1km, +12km, 0km] isn't spazzing out due to low distance granularity when both are so far from [0,0,0] (rendering is less of an issue here — that's converted to and done at 32bit regardless because that's what your GFX card is using). Everyone exists within the same coordinate system, and everyone needs to maintain reasonable precision not to skip around too much.

But… if you really embraced the megamap concept, then that would only ever have to happen on the server side, and you'd have other means of working around that 64bit issue anyway. All world-level position tracking is done there, and nowhere else, so it's only on the server that you need any kind of high precision. Locally, it wouldn't be a problem to just use 32bit because the player is always at [0,0,0] and anything that's really far off will be… well… far off so they wont' skip around anyway. A ±1m imprecision in location won't matter because the other guy is 20km away and can hardly be seen anyway — he's a static pixel no matter how ridiculously imprecise that placement is. And from his perspective, he is at [0,0,0] and you are 20km away.

Well, sure, that may be what it ends up as — we're talking about the concept as it has been described by Tracy.

The whole 64 bit precision stuff drives me nuts in particular with star citizen because they have nothing that warrants it. What the gently caress are you mapping around olisar that needs that level of precision? And if you EVER intended to make a game so large, and track so much erroneous bullshit, why the gently caress didn't you use double precision in the first place? How do you ever intend to do this without a massive leap in data transmission tech?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Sabreseven posted:

It's going well so far, '0' ciggs smoked, I've not murdered all in my path due to nicotine withdrawl anger. Feel chill as heck tbh :)

Vaping actually helps it's a lot cheaper and not as deadly and you can get bubblegum and coffee flavour, don't buy a cheap one though.

Better a live twat than a cool cancer patient.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov posted:

Today I learned you can put porn on Twitter. I'm super glad I learned this at home.

That'll be those hateboner posts..

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I made a thing:

I had a feeling chat activity was kinda dying down, and yes, yes it is.

Here are the numbers, if anyone wants to do something better with it: https://udba.org/sc/scgbs.csv

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Vaping actually helps it's a lot cheaper and not as deadly and you can get bubblegum and coffee flavour, don't buy a cheap one though.

Better a live twat than a cool cancer patient.

Thanks man, I planned it a bit in advance, so I got one of those vaping pens (an apparently decent one) just in case I found it hard to leave the ciggs.

So far so good though and not even a hint of a craving or addiction clawing at me, feels good to not smell of ciggs too (my wife approves) hehe :D

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Milky Moor posted:

I was a big fan of Star Control, so, I immediately scoured that site for any sort of hard info. There's plenty of stuff where they're saying it's a full reboot without admitting as such. It feels like one of those cynical 'using the name for a different idea' franchises. Like, without the Ur-Quan and the Spathi and the Orz and so on, what makes it Star Control?

No Frungy, No Purchase

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

tooterfish posted:

Megalomania was Jon Hare.

Pukka design

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Sabreseven posted:

Thanks man, I planned it a bit in advance, so I got one of those vaping pens (an apparently decent one) just in case I found it hard to leave the ciggs.

So far so good though and not even a hint of a craving or addiction clawing at me, feels good to not smell of ciggs too (my wife approves) hehe :D

Watch out for the atomizer wearing out, the vape will tastes burned and give you a sore throat when that happens. They usually last about a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sabreseven posted:

Sabreseven posted:

Feels fantastic, and wow other smokers stink now.