Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Traxis posted:

I tried using the PS4 theme that came with the preorder bonus and it put my console into an infinite crash loop. Had to reboot in safe mod and reset to default settings to get it to stop.

Mine has been super slow since Ive been using it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Whew, just beat batgirl on my third attempt. This game is really good.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
Sorry if this has been asked a few times but I'm wondering how easy it is to play co op. I typically play Souls style games completely co op. Is there a limit to how often you can summon? I was only able to finish the tutorial level and fight my way a bit on the first level. I didn't see any options to summon yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

God drat kusarigama are awesome. This is making my build decision even harder :ohdear: I'm very torn between swords and kusarigama and I feel like I won't be able to do both well because I also want to level Spirit.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away
Regarding the stunning of Oni by hitting their heads, from TLC demo I believe its if you break their horns. I tried this and breaking their horn 100% depleted their stamina bar, auto staggered them and changed their model so they weren't as flamey so maybe an ongoing debuff? It also guranteed (the 3-4 times I did it anyway) a Demon Horn item drop. Seems good. I was reliably able to do it when they did their big overhead attack by side dodging and getting a shot in iirc.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Aloofa posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a few times but I'm wondering how easy it is to play co op. I typically play Souls style games completely co op. Is there a limit to how often you can summon? I was only able to finish the tutorial level and fight my way a bit on the first level. I didn't see any options to summon yet.

Can't coop unless your partner has already beaten the level. It's bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

God drat kusarigama are awesome. This is making my build decision even harder :ohdear: I'm very torn between swords and kusarigama and I feel like I won't be able to do both well because I also want to level Spirit.

I'm doing both and its fine :)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bombadilillo posted:

armor UNLIMITED ONMYO "no matter how many you use your inventory never depletes."

+4%

what? Is it unlimited or 4% what?

Answering myself after some research. Its a stacking percentage that the item won't cost when you use it. I guess it great if you get it really high. Magic build with unlimited items.

But so much for the vaunted descriptions. This ones literally full of poo poo.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 8, 2017

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Emalde posted:

Can't coop unless your partner has already beaten the level. It's bad.

Hoping for it to be patched sooner than later.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tap my mountain posted:

William is the protoweab. He travels to Japan, imagines himself training in a dojo and now he is a samurai.

You're basically the protagonist from James Clavell's Shogun as filtered through Onimusha in a Dark Souls style game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They need to patch this nonsense of 2 specific twilight levels, just let me do the drat thing.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Man I just want to loving play this game but my PS4 disconnected me from PSN, is asking me to change my password through e-mail, and not sending me the e-mail. I just beat electric dog too.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So what's the general consensus so far? This game looks loving great and it looks like if DMC, Ninja Gaiden, and Dark Souls has some weird japanese baby. I am so down.

What kind of multiplayer is there? Just co-op? Invasions?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

So what's the general consensus so far? This game looks loving great and it looks like if DMC, Ninja Gaiden, and Dark Souls has some weird japanese baby. I am so down.

What kind of multiplayer is there? Just co-op? Invasions?

I'm literally F5ing my gmail over and over praying that I get an e-mail from PSN so I can reset my password, get back on and play this game more that's how good it is.

It definitely has a couple of problems but in terms of a Team Ninja-style difficult action game (with RPG stuff this time) this is scratching an itch I've had since Ninja Gaiden like 6 years ago.

Edit: Everything logistical with Sony loving blows.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 8, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

InfinityComplex posted:

Chance to not use.

Translations bad yo

Keeping up the Dark Souls tradition.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bombadilillo posted:

Answering myself after some research. Its a stacking percentage that the item won't cost when you use it. I guess it great if you get it really high. Magic build with unlimited items.

But so much for the vaunted descriptions. This ones literally full of poo poo.

InfinityComplex answered your question right after you asked it dude.

RatHat posted:

Keeping up the Dark Souls tradition.

Translations are way worse than ever in dark souls. Straight up misleading / lying descriptions on many abilities.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

holy shittttttttttttttt the centipede boss is SO BAD

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
The axe demon on top of the burning village is a real dick. First time, he does 600 damage to me twice in a row. Second time, milliseconds after grabbing my corpse, he does 1111 damage, single hit.

Yet I want to run back to it. This game owns.

mikeraskol posted:

I'm literally F5ing my gmail over and over praying that I get an e-mail from PSN so I can reset my password, get back on and play this game more that's how good it is.

It definitely has a couple of problems but in terms of a Team Ninja-style difficult action game (with RPG stuff this time) this is scratching an itch I've had since Ninja Gaiden like 6 years ago.

I had the same poo poo going on, check your spam folder. 3 of the resets were in there. GMail.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

pissdude posted:

holy shittttttttttttttt the centipede boss is SO BAD

aw I thought he was a fun gimmick fight

Certainly not as intense as the fights before, but I mean, think about how many duds dark souls has. They're not all perfect. Centipede > Bed of Chaos :cheeky:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

quaunaut posted:

The axe demon on top of the burning village is a real dick. First time, he does 600 damage to me twice in a row. Second time, milliseconds after grabbing my corpse, he does 1111 damage, single hit.

Yet I want to run back to it. This game owns.

I had the same poo poo going on, check your spam folder. 3 of the resets were in there. GMail.

poo poo, thanks. They were right in there.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Zaphod42 posted:

aw I thought he was a fun gimmick fight

Certainly not as intense as the fights before, but I mean, think about how many duds dark souls has. They're not all perfect. Centipede > Bed of Chaos :cheeky:

yeah i was taking the wrong approach to him and dying to him in stupid ways. The 100% tracking he does on everything plus the "head always has active attack frames" was really stupid.

i just ended up blocking his head, un-locking from him, and sprinting around his body until he did his projectile, hit his tail twice, rinse and repeat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What can I do in game if it's downloaded enough to launch but not done yet?

Anything I should know going in that we've learned so far?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm doing both and its fine :)

Are you leveling Spirit much, too? Or just Heart/Dexterity?

I still can't decide what kind of armor to use, either. I kind of prefer medium armor but I really don't know if its damage reduction is worth the extra weight over light armor.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Harrow posted:

I still can't decide what kind of armor to use, either. I kind of prefer medium armor but I really don't know if its damage reduction is worth the extra weight over light armor.

Feels like Dark Souls to me where armor is kinda just pointless and boss fights depend entirely on dodging anyway.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Seems like leveling everything to 10 is a good strategy in this game. 5 pokemon points is insane.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Feels like Dark Souls to me where armor is kinda just pointless and boss fights depend entirely on dodging anyway.

Apparently heavy armor is actually pretty great in that it lets you spend a lot less Ki when you block. And light armor is great in the same way it is in Dark Souls. I'm just not sure if medium armor is worth it or not, because you're not getting the extreme damage reduction/blocking Ki reduction of heavy armor or the really fast Ki regen of light armor. Something tells me being in the middle isn't actually all that effective compared to picking an extreme.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Dude I'm doing a little bit of every stat. Going all in on one seems to get diminishing returns. I have a poo poo ton of Heart but after that, a little of everything, except not much magic.

Bombadilillo posted:

Seems like leveling everything to 10 is a good strategy in this game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I was only able to get up to beating the first actual boss today. Is it worth going back thru the level to get the 3 little shrine guys I missed or not?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude I'm doing a little bit of every stat. Going all in on one seems to get diminishing returns. I have a poo poo ton of Heart but after that, a little of everything, except not much magic.

Yeah if you hit 10 in spirit. You unlock the full basic pokemon power. Which includes +20% ki regen. HUGE.

10 in dex gives you a few ninja weapons. Hand consumables that reload at shrines.

I was wary of skill but I feel best with dual katanas and skill seems so level a lot of stats a little bit.

This game is awesome.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 8, 2017

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

Gmail auto sent my psn password reset not to spam, but to trash. Check there for the reset.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

I just had this exact thing happen to me, waited 2 days for the email and they had indeed sent one for each attempt I made. it was in the spam folder. Which in my defense Sony stuff never goes there for me and it had all sorts of warnings on it about how similar emails were reported spam/phishing. But it really was from Sony and my password was reset.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 8, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Other than unlocking the different tiers of Guardian spirit bonuses what does putting points into spirit actually do?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

fadam posted:

Other than unlocking the different tiers of Guardian spirit bonuses what does putting points into spirit actually do?

Increased damage when you call in your pokemon buddy to attack, or when you're using living weapon.

Also weapons can have random skill bonuses as attributes, so you could get say an axe or katana with B Spirit scaling.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like I have a mental hurdle with this game I am having trouble getting past. Don't get me wrong, it's fun. The combat is really enjoyable and while it feels like a From game it has enough of it's own thing going I like it on it's own merits. I'll play the whole thing for the combat alone.

I'm having trouble getting over how much of it is just a wholesale ripoff of Dark Souls though. I love Dark Souls and Bloodborne and honestly I want other developers to rip them off to some degree, but there are just so many little details they lift from every inch of it I find it sort of hard to take it seriously as any sort of original work. I don't get why they felt the need to rip off so many little inconsequential things like the corpses lit up with items and tight spiraling staircases, completely bog standard enemy traps/setups etc. it really goes way past inspiration. The worst part about this is I feel like it highlights just how boring the environmental design is compared to a From game. It's just not ticking the same box that makes me want to explore every inch of it.

I'll admit that this kind of stuff bugs me more than the average person but I'm pretty put off by it. i really think they could have basically made the same game and made it feel way less derivative without a lot of effort. Maybe by the end I won't feel like I'm playing a Gameloft iOS version of Dark Souls but it's going to be an uphill battle.

That said. i'm not trying to totally poo poo on it. It's a solid and fun game game but it feels a bit too much like plagiarism to me.

Edit: also I'm not far in so this isn't really an endgame review or anything.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 8, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I don't get why they felt the need to rip off so many little inconsequential things like the corpses lit up with items and tight spiraling staircases, completely bog standard enemy traps/setups etc. it really goes way past inspiration.

These are weird things to hold up as examples because Dark Souls did not invent those things and they are in fact present in previous games from the same developer. I mean I get that a lot of Nioh is shamelessly inspired by Dark Souls and that's true, but a lot of those things are things that exist in video games or which a developer has used independently before.

Like it's worth remembering that Team Ninja worked on Ninja Gaiden and while Nioh obviously borrows a lot from Dark Souls it also borrows a lot from Ninja Gaiden, and a lot of what you're pointing at was present in Team Ninja's previous games which predate Dark Souls.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 8, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Nioh is only constantly compared to Dark Souls because that series has dominated the ARPG scene for the last 7 years. It's like how every goddamn FPS from 2003-2009 would call itself the "Halo Killer".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

These are weird things to hold up as examples because Dark Souls did not invent those things and they are in fact present in previous games from the same developer. I mean I get that a lot of Nioh is shamelessly inspired by Dark Souls and that's true, but a lot of those things are things that exist in video games or which a developer has used independently before.

Like it's worth remembering that Team Ninja worked on Ninja Gaiden and while Nioh obviously borrows a lot from Dark Souls it also borrows a lot from Ninja Gaiden, and a lot of what you're pointing at was present in Team Ninja's previous games which predate Dark Souls.

None of those things define Dark Souls on their own, but in succession they amplify how plagiarized it feels which is exactly my point.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Nioh is only constantly compared to Dark Souls because that series has dominated the ARPG scene for the last 7 years. It's like how every goddamn FPS from 2003-2009 would call itself the "Halo Killer".

Not really. Not at all.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The biggest thing they have in common is the whole respawning enemies bit and using "souls" to level, the combat system alone is deeper than anything souls games have ever done.

Like I dunno where you're getting the derivate thing from unless I somehow missed Souls having skill trees and being mission based.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Besides the Amrita/Souls XP and Grave thing, what exactly makes it a DS clone?

I'm not arguing that it's missing something. Lore and world design are some of the things that I really loved about DS/BB and Nioh just doesn't seem to have that. It just really feels a lot more like Diablo with a better combat system than DS though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

None of those things define Dark Souls on their own, but in succession they amplify how plagiarized it feels which is exactly my point.

Right, except as I said, you're calling them plagiarized despite them being fairly generic things. Nioh has as much Ninja Gaiden in its blood as it does Souls and literally each of the things you mentioned are present in Ninja Gaiden. You're calling them plagerizing because you associate them with Dark Souls but as someone who played the poo poo out of Ninja Gaiden I recognized a lot more of it than I did Dark Souls in things like that. Obviously the game has plenty of Souls inspiration but it feels weird to point to like 'corpses lit up with items" as being a Dark Souls thing when they did that in Ninja Gaiden, a game that predates Demon's Souls by 5 years.

You're treating Demon's Souls as the creator of things that it itself borrowed from other games. (and hell, From Software even created their own knockoff Ninja Gaiden, remember Ninja Blade?)

Edit: This doesn't mean that Nioh doesn't owe a lot to the Souls games because it does, but it's also worth remembering that the Souls games themselves owe plenty to other developers too and that some things exist across different games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 8, 2017