Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

None of those things define Dark Souls on their own, but in succession they amplify how plagiarized it feels which is exactly my point.

Not really. Not at all.

But those things in succession were in the Koei Tecmo's own pre-DS games? Did those things in succession make DS a ripoff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dark souls with better combat is A ok in my book.

I actually like how familiar the world trappings are because it lets me focus 100% on the many many combat things I am supposed to be doing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Right, except as I said, you're calling them plagiarized despite them being fairly generic things. Nioh has as much Ninja Gaiden in its blood as it does Souls and literally each of the things you mentioned are present in Ninja Gaiden. You're calling them plagerizing because you associate them with Dark Souls but as someone who played the poo poo out of Ninja Gaiden I recognized a lot more of it than I did Dark Souls in things like that. Obviously the game has plenty of Souls inspiration but it feels weird to point to like 'corpses lit up with items" as being a Dark Souls thing when they did that in Ninja Gaiden, a game that predates Demon's Souls by 5 years.

You're treating Demon's Souls as the creator of things that it itself borrowed from other games. (and hell, From Software even created their own knockoff Ninja Gaiden, remember Ninja Blade?)

I get what your saying and I'm not saying that everything DS does comes from completely original ideas. In fact I'd say that series' biggest strength is that it draws from a lot of good ideas and does it's own thing with it. It becomes it's own thing.

Nioh on the other hand not only rips off the basic format of DS but manages to rip off the minutia of it as well which really does nothing other than drive the point home. It really doesn't matter if it's been done before. If you are going to go that hard with emulating another game maybe try to put more of your own spin on it.

Like, I am playing this and I can usually tell whatever enemy trap is waiting before me because I've played Dark Souls. It's not a good sign of an original game.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Finished my first session with bat girl, god I'm rusty.. But she dead.

Also, perfectly happy with people ripping off souls games if they're this good.

Learnin Derby
Jan 26, 2005

Mr E posted:

I was only able to get up to beating the first actual boss today. Is it worth going back thru the level to get the 3 little shrine guys I missed or not?

Every 5 you save gives you an extra elixir. I missed one of the first mission and I am gonna go back for him.

And the first boss is a joke. I had more trouble with the ax yokai than him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I get what your saying and I'm not saying that everything DS does comes from completely original ideas. In fact I'd say that series' biggest strength is that it draws from a lot of good ideas and does it's own thing with it. It becomes it's own thing.

Nioh on the other hand not only rips off the basic format of DS but manages to rip off the minutia of it as well which really does nothing other than drive the point home. It really doesn't matter if it's been done before. If you are going to go that hard with emulating another game maybe try to put more of your own spin on it.

Like, I am playing this and I can usually tell whatever enemy trap is waiting before me because I've played Dark Souls. It's not a good sign of an original game.

Right, but again, you're assuming that what they are doing is copying Dark Souls and not that developers will come up with similar ideas especially if they happen to be dancing in similar genres. I was able to predict a fair number of things in Nioh because they did similar things in Ninja Gaiden. Beyond a certain point it's worth noting that

A) There is a shared linage of game design and game designers borrow and are inspired by one another
B) People from FromSoftware explicitly has played the Ninja Gaiden games (and have mentioned doing so in interviews), up to and including developers from their blatant Ninja Gaiden clone Ninja Blade working on Dark and Demon's Souls.

You're beginning from the viewpoint that obviously these untalented hacks are just ripping off FromSoftware and not the idea that maybe something you recognize from Dark Souls didn't begin there.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 8, 2017

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Good god I'm just seeing people repeat the answer and them just say the same damned thing over and over like it's gonna make it right. Most of the stuff from Soulsborne titles were borrowed from Ninja Gaiden, that's the fact of it.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So for people who have played the game for a bit and gotten more weapon skills, what's the downlow on the different weapon archetypes? I'm finding them pretty hard to judge out of the gate since I'm missing a lot of skills. I'm using dual swords currently and, while I'm liking them more than katana, I'm still not sure they are for me. I'm about to beat the first mission and am considering restarting to get my stat points back.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Right, but again, you're assuming that what they are doing is copying Dark Souls and not that developers will come up with similar ideas especially if they happen to be dancing in similar genres. I was able to predict a fair number of things in Nioh because they did similar things in Ninja Gaiden. Beyond a certain point it's worth noting that

A) There is a shared linage of game design and game designers borrow and are inspired by one another
B) People from FromSoftware explicitly has played the Ninja Gaiden games (and have mentioned doing so in interviews), up to and including developers from their blatant Ninja Gaiden clone Ninja Blade working on Dark and Demon's Souls.

You're beginning from the viewpoint that obviously these untalented hacks are just ripping off FromSoftware and not the idea that maybe something you recognize from Dark Souls didn't begin there.

I have played Ninja Gaiden and I get where you are coming from. I just don't think any of those examples amount to something as blatant as Dark Souls/Nioh. I think you'd admit it is pretty uncanny.

Anyways. I am still enjoying it. It's a fun game I'm not trying to poo poo all over it but it's not going to stop bugging me or stop me from losing a bit of respect for Nioh.

Arthil posted:

Good god I'm just seeing people repeat the answer and them just say the same damned thing over and over like it's gonna make it right. Most of the stuff from Soulsborne titles were borrowed from Ninja Gaiden, that's the fact of it.

No. I never said Souls didn't borrow from ninja Gaiden but this is thoroughly wrong.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 8, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brackhar posted:

So for people who have played the game for a bit and gotten more weapon skills, what's the downlow on the different weapon archetypes? I'm finding them pretty hard to judge out of the gate since I'm missing a lot of skills. I'm using dual swords currently and, while I'm liking them more than katana, I'm still not sure they are for me. I'm about to beat the first mission and am considering restarting to get my stat points back.

Katana: all-around safe weapon. It's pretty good at everything.
Dual Katana: Really fast, honestly feels like it could be a bit OP to me since it theoretically is sacrificing damage for speed but it pans out well.
Spears: The safe weapon. Longest range, pumping stat gives you good defense.
Axe: Really strong but its big advantage seems to be in breaking down enemy ki rather than its straight damage dealing. Obviously really slow but stances + pulsing tends to alleviate that downside.
Kusarigama: Honestly I never got a great feel for this? I think it's what you want to go for if you're planning on going for magic though.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The concept of "ripping off" another game is really dumb and I don't understand why people get hung up on it, unless it's extremely blatant to the point of needing a lawsuit. Like... should there only be Call of Duty and nothing else because Battlefield and whatever other lovely shooters exist are basically the same game with some details changed? If a developer does something well, other developers making a similar game should borrow and expand on what makes those games good, Nioh being a perfect example.

I think I've finally found my first complaint with this game. There's hardly anything worth putting skill points in if you are just using two weapons. I'm sitting on 21 points with nothing to use them on. I guess when I unlock some of these mystic arts they will soak up some points.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

The concept of "ripping off" another game is really dumb and I don't understand why people get hung up on it, unless it's extremely blatant to the point of needing a lawsuit. Like... should there only be Call of Duty and nothing else because Battlefield and whatever other lovely shooters exist are basically the same game with some details changed? If a developer does something well, other developers making a similar game should borrow and expand on what makes those games good, Nioh being a perfect example.

I think I've finally found my first complaint with this game. There's hardly anything worth putting skill points in if you are just using two weapons. I'm sitting on 21 points with nothing to use them on. I guess when I unlock some of these mystic arts they will soak up some points.

This kind of thinking is why 90% of games are the same thing tbh.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

all that guy is trying to say is that he's played a lot of souls games and likes them and this game having so many of the same trappings as the souls games in its level design and other small details is something that is nagging at him while playing and he doesn't like it.

i think the game's really fun and i like playing souls games so having a new game that expands on the gameplay concepts of souls series with a strong dose of classic team ninja stuff is extremely satisfying. i was honestly pretty tired of dark souls by the end of 3 and didn't even 100% it or do multiple runthroughs - a first for me with that series. this game on the other hand is extremely engaging and exciting to me because there's so much to sink your teeth into mechanically

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Honestly, this argument is going nowhere. I'll drop it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 8, 2017

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

Or maybe you've played DS so much you recognize these things because they're staple of the genre. :geno:

Feels like you didn't read a single thing posted either, who gives a poo poo.

quote:

This kind of thinking is why 90% of games are the same thing tbh.

Company makes thing.
Thing is a big hit, either revitalizes or creates a genre.
Another company comes along and improves on it.

Literally how gaming has existed since its inception.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

ImpAtom posted:

Dual Katana: Really fast, honestly feels like it could be a bit OP to me since it theoretically is sacrificing damage for speed but it pans out well.
Axe: Really strong but its big advantage seems to be in breaking down enemy ki rather than its straight damage dealing. Obviously really slow but stances + pulsing tends to alleviate that downside.
Kusarigama: Honestly I never got a great feel for this? I think it's what you want to go for if you're planning on going for magic though.

Kusarigama has been fantastic so far. Each stance works well for different situations from long range/brute force with high, wipe sweeping attacks for groups with mid or very brutal and quick focused attacks with low. High stance heavy attack is a meaty ranged hit, and all three stances end up getting a combo that yanks an enemy to you.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Company makes thing.
Thing is a big hit, either revitalizes or creates a genre.
Another company comes along and improves on it.

Literally how everything has existed since its inception.

ftfy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm having trouble getting over how much of it is just a wholesale ripoff of Dark Souls though. I love Dark Souls and Bloodborne and honestly I want other developers to rip them off to some degree, but there are just so many little details they lift from every inch of it I find it sort of hard to take it seriously as any sort of original work. I don't get why they felt the need to rip off so many little inconsequential things like the corpses lit up with items and tight spiraling staircases, completely bog standard enemy traps/setups etc. it really goes way past inspiration. The worst part about this is I feel like it highlights just how boring the environmental design is compared to a From game. It's just not ticking the same box that makes me want to explore every inch of it.

You know FPS games were all called "Doom-clones" once upon a time right?

Nothing is new.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

Kusarigama: bi-polar weapon that can be used either as an extremely rapidly hitting close-range weapon OR a very long range and area effect denial weapon. Also syngergizes well with Ninjitsu. (Has nothing to do with proper magic)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The pre-order armor sets(Nioh and Sanada) are really awesome looking.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
My favorite thing this game ripped off from dark souls is how sexy it feels to clown on all these loving ogres and skeletons

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

Yeah there's a tooooon of great skills and they cost a lot, even with one weapon type, much less trying to master two.

You just need to hurry up and get to the next chapter already so you can unlock the next tier of skills!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arthil posted:

You can say it but it's wrong.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Do I need Playstation Plus to see other player's revenants?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Do I need Playstation Plus to see other player's revenants?

I think so yeah. Pretty sure there's also NPC revenants you'll see anyways if without PS+ or offline, but if you don't have PS+ I don't think you'll see other players. Could be wrong but probably the case.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Zaphod42 posted:

Kusarigama: bi-polar weapon that can be used either as an extremely rapidly hitting close-range weapon OR a very long range and area effect denial weapon. Also syngergizes well with Ninjitsu. (Has nothing to do with proper magic)

What weapons do synergize with magic?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brackhar posted:

What weapons do synergize with magic?

None, or All, depending upon how you look at it. Magic is very much its own thing. Its a weapon of its own. You get lots of magic attacks of various types. But magic is also supportive a lot in this game, so you get tons of buffs, damage buffs, enemy weakness hexes, heals, weapon elemental enchants; which work fine with all weapons, and will make any of them better. Also as is typical of elemental mechanics, most enemies have a specific elemental weakness, and matching that will hurt them extra bad. Otherwise, elemental damage can also apply special effects if you do enough elemental damage fast enough. Fire is just damage over time, while lightning slows down animations, poison adds damage over time, paralysis freezes in place for a short time, etc.

The spells that say "imbues your projectiles with the power of fire when used" are a bad translation. They really just give you magic projectile spell attacks.
So "Fire Shot" is really a fireball spell, not a fire buff for your gun, like it sounds like.

You can put a few points into magic and grab a couple spells, or you can put a lot and then go for magic as a serious damage weapon of its own.

And since weapons can have scaling attributes, you could feasibly find a weapon of any type that has like B- magic scaling. But it would be a fairly uncommon roll, so you might have to look for awhile. But then if you find one, you could potentially ascend it higher and higher level using other drops that don't have magic scaling...

The RPG mechanics in this game are just like, super open. Its much less restrictive than Souls because almost everything overlaps with a couple other things.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why the gently caress would anyone write off Nioh as a "Gameloft Souls clone" when Lords of the Fallen exists?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Revenants are active even if you don't have Ps+. You just have to go into Online Mode.

Why does Kusarigama mix well with Ninjitsu? Just because Skill affects both of them?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone write off Nioh as a "Gameloft Souls clone" when Lords of the Fallen exists?

Well obviously he hasn't played that one. :newlol:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Played about an hour and a half ish so far. Game's fun! Except for the camera which is abysmal.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Is unarmed actually feasible, or is it mostly just for shits and giggles? Doesn't seem like punches combo very well, i know there are some skills that improve unarmed combat but in general it looks...questionable.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Revenants are active even if you don't have Ps+. You just have to go into Online Mode.

Why does Kusarigama mix well with Ninjitsu? Just because Skill affects both of them?

Both are actually based off of dex. Ninjas have a lot of tools to use and the Kusarigama synergizes well with it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

That's my question, why do the tools synergize better with a kusarigama then a sword?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Damage scaling.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

That's what I assumed, I just didn't know if there was something I was missing.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The dodging in this game seems to be a lot less consistent than Dark souls dodging (which is fair since it's not related to dark souls at all) but my DS muscle memory keeps kicking in and the first boss is kicking my poo poo in because i keep trying to dodge THROUGH things.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

a bad translation

There seems to be a lot of that :(

Game still fun as gently caress though.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

One of my guns had a 4% chance on firing to have unlimited ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Thumbtacks posted:

the first boss is kicking my poo poo in because i keep trying to dodge THROUGH things.

Do you not have invincibility frames in your dodge in this game? Or are they just low? That would explain a lot regarding my performance!

To be honest the game is not really grabbing me. I like it but I'm mostly just playing it because I spent 60 dollars on it. I agree with the review that I read that says the game is not punishing enough for standard enemies and way too punishing for big enemies. So far they haven't really found a good balance between "this enemy kills you in 10 hits" and "this enemy kills you in 2 hits".

edit: Also the really inconsistent framerate both in 30fps mode and 60fps mode is giving me a headache, which I'm sure is not helping my appreciation for the game any.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 8, 2017