Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Baal posted:

You don't seem to be a fan of practicing what you preach

i'm one of the good souls fans i only bitched once about woolie being horrible at the easiest fight ever :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

HoboTech posted:

I'll never understand the "BUT IT'S CHEATING" mentality when it's a mechanic that's built-in and fundamental to the goddamn game (and sometimes even required if you want to see more of the plot). Summoning is fine, magic is fine, now go do your SL1 Deprived run and leave the rest of us the hell alone.

Too much coffee, sorry.

Exactly this. It's not cheating, it is a core mechanic in all three games.

Woolies rage in Part 23 is glorious and I cannot wait for the end of that arc.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

GulagDolls posted:

its pretty weird to complain about a fanbase out of nowhere over and over.

and speaking of complaining, i cant believe they spent three episodes outside quelaag's door and now are running in the opposite direction.

Next episode, he'll somehow end up in Darkroot Basin fighting the Hydra. Then, the Catacombs.

Quelaag will be but a distant memory by the time this is over.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I pronounce quelaag as "Kellogg" and wonder what spider lava themed cereal tastes like

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Probably better than Frosted Frekes.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Futaba Anzu posted:

I pronounce quelaag as "Kellogg" and wonder what spider lava themed cereal tastes like

Better than Gaskwangs Grits, I bet.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Woolie's sheer, indignant rage upon finally figuring out what Lautrec does more than made up for another episode of Queelag blueballs. :allears:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

havenwaters posted:

This is the correct answer. Now go beat Manus at level 1 already you casual.

That's not nearly as hard as O&S at level 1. The trick is to stick on the flippy ring, get a +15 crossbow, and just coward it out.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DumbparameciuM posted:

Exactly this. It's not cheating, it is a core mechanic in all three games.

Woolies rage in Part 23 is glorious and I cannot wait for the end of that arc.

:yeah:

Ever since it happened to me I've been giddy to see it happen to Woolie, since it was his paranoia that made me leave Lautrec in his cell as well. (Granted, I would have never thought to outright kill Lautrec, so it was inevitable regardless)

My reaction was more of a "Wait. What. No. What?! NO! gently caress! Nooooooooo.... ok, poo poo, well I better at least tap the bonfire after that huge trip back from blighttown..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGLh9hRmRcM

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Futaba Anzu posted:

The canon name is Kway-lag, as it's how her sister Quelaan addresses her, but I refuse to acknowledge that because calling her Kelloggs is hilarious to me.

Even with all those limbs, she couldn't put a finger on why kids love the taste of cinnamon toast crunch.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Woolie's sheer, indignant rage upon finally figuring out what Lautrec does more than made up for another episode of Queelag blueballs. :allears:
Truly, RAGE is reborn.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Woolie schooling Pat on the Halberd/Partisan difference is great. Building up into his own SoulsMan.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GulagDolls posted:

people say it's cheating because it is just that, a built-in cheat code, much like infinite hp or w/e

No, it's not. People just love to overstate how difficult Souls games are. Ignoring a game mechanic so that you feel like you did it on your own!! is fine, it's great, but it's more like deliberately challenging yourself than it is ~the real difficulty~ of the game. You could've ignored any other mechanic to make the game challenging to yourself, like drinking Estus, and it would've been just as valid.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I only accept that "you can't use summons" mentality if you're crazy like Liam and unplug your console from the internet so you don't see any bloodstains or messages. If you don't want summons help you don't want that help either, 'less you're a table dorito eater like Pat.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

No, it's not. People just love to overstate how difficult Souls games are. Ignoring a game mechanic so that you feel like you did it on your own!! is fine, it's great, but it's more like deliberately challenging yourself than it is ~the real difficulty~ of the game. You could've ignored any other mechanic to make the game challenging to yourself, like drinking Estus, and it would've been just as valid.

it has nothing to do with the perceived difficulty of the series, which is another weird thing, but separate. you still have to actually do things and not get caught in the drinking animation even if you have 20 estus and can make 40 mistakes. whether this is difficult or not doesn't matter because the player has to do things. theres a really big difference between that and another human being beating the game for you. people can do whatever they want, as the video game police do not exist and will not exist until 2024, but summoning allows you to beat the game without actually doing anything, and if tahts not a cheat code as they are spiritually defined in single player games, then nothing is.

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 8, 2017

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

GulagDolls posted:

it has nothing to do with the perceived difficulty of the series, which is another weird thing, but separate. you still have to actually do things and not get caught in the drinking animation even if you have 20 estus and can make 40 mistakes. theres a really big difference between that and another human being beating the game for you. people can do whatever they want, but summoning allows you to beat the game without actually doing anything, and if tahts not a cheat code as they are spiritually defined in single player games, then nothing is.

Your caricature of what summoning actually looks like is idiotic. The whole idea of summoning is there are fights that are hard to solo but much easier with a buddy, e.g. Abyss Watchers, but making your summon do it on their own means they'll probably die since it's a hard fight to solo, leaving you with the same boss that's hard to solo but now takes less damage. It's only easy if you work together, which is the whole point and makes for fun gameplay. I might see your point in certain early points in DS1 since you could randomly get a twink that can 3-shot the Gargoyles, but in DS3, it scales down your weapon and stats to the host's level so that shouldn't happen.

It's fine if you want to not use it and enjoy it more that way, but stop telling people their fun is invalid because they're using a feature of the game as intended.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 8, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

There seems to be a paradox that Paige is godlike at Bloodborne while fumble-some at best at Until Dawn, while the reverse can be said for the Zaibatsu. Why could this be?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ds3 is actually the most egregious example of all man. its not a caricature or an exaggeration. this is the reality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbR7MYGPR6c&t=44s

i never said anyones fun was invalid (??) and in fact said the opposite, it's really rude to form ripostes to assertions that were never made, almost as rude as not bowing. dont want to dredge up an 80 year old video game flamewar. just saying its functionally identical to cheat codes of old. only difference is that you dont have to input an 823 button press sequence

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 8, 2017

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

GulagDolls posted:

ds3 is actually the most egregious example of all man. its not a caricature or an exaggeration. this is the reality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbR7MYGPR6c&t=44s

i never said anyones fun was invalid (??) and in fact said the opposite, it's really rude to form ripostes to assertions that were never made, almost as rude as not bowing

When you compare using a feature of the game to using infinite HP cheats, I see that as invalidating someone else's victory over a boss, and therefore, their fun at doing so. You're effectively telling someone they didn't really beat the boss because they cheated by using an intended mechanic, and that's a lovely thing to do in my book.

Now, I thought you meant using the summoning system AT ALL equates to this, but it seems like you're talking about if someone maximally abused it for every boss. I can see your point I guess if that specifically is what you're talking about, but that's not what you said, and there's a huge middle ground between never using summons and summoning 3 boys to the yard for every boss. I'd wager the majority of players only use summons when they feel stuck or just to have fun with another person, after that are the people that never use summons, and a tiny fraction of a percent of players actually beat the game like you're describing.

Seriously, almost no one actually does what's in that video, and those that do probably mostly do it as a gimmick and not on the first playthrough.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 8, 2017

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I can't believe Woolie got all the way to the bottom of Blighttown, skipped Queelag's Domain and went BACK UP. Come the gently caress on Pat did he really need to make a Andre detour when he's going that way already once he's beaten the spider?

:negative:

We've been in BT for like 4 episodes now.

Re summoning: FROM put in summoning for bosses for a reason. They could have made it so that you could only do co-op in NG+ or whatever, but they put it in all way from the start because it's a game feature. It's not cheating. Stop pissing on people for not enjoying games in your prefered "pure" manner or whatever reason you want to dredge up.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

GulagDolls posted:

people say it's cheating because it is just that, a built-in cheat code, much like infinite hp or w/e

Summoning is literally the opposite of an infinite HP cheat code.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

When you compare using a feature of the game to using infinite HP cheats, I see that as invalidating someone else's victory over a boss, and therefore, their fun at doing so. You're effectively telling someone they didn't really beat the boss because they cheated, and that's a lovely thing to do in my book.

Now, I thought you meant using the summoning system AT ALL equates to this, but it seems like you're talking about if someone maximally abused it for every boss. I can see your point I guess if that specifically is what you're talking about, but that's not what you said, and there's a huge middle ground between never using summons and summoning 3 boys to the yard for every boss. I'd wager the majority of players only use summons when they feel stuck or just to have fun with another person, after that are the people that never use summons, and a tiny fraction of a percent of players actually beat the game like you're describing.

if you derive some sensation of fun over your artificial intelligence killcount and not the act of playing the game then I guess? i summoned for things sometimes and i had fun and dont think im invalidating the experience.

the vid linked is the maximum power case scenario, but no, im not talking bout just that. most people i saw in dks3 was rolling with at least two summons. it was pretty common. in practice all it takes is one to completely break the souls enemies AI though. and with two people total you can just walk up to almost any enemy in the series and delete them before they can do anything. but my point was that a mechanic that allows a player to do nothing and win, even if they have to rely on a white phantom who is mlg (the one percent!!), is just like 'skip to credits' code.

quote:

Re summoning: FROM put in summoning for bosses for a reason. They could have made it so that you could only do co-op in NG+ or whatever, but they put it in all way from the start because it's a game feature. It's not cheating. Stop pissing on people for not enjoying games in your prefered "pure" manner or whatever reason you want to dredge up.

im not really sure why this inspires such emotional fervor in people

i hope woolie stops using the partizan because despite it attacking faster, a lot of the time he only ever attacks with it once and then backs away. the halberd would be good but it would also be nice if he could get a giant club.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

if you derive some sensation of fun over your artificial intelligence killcount and not the act of playing the game then I guess? i summoned for things sometimes and i had fun and dont think im invalidating the experience.

the vid linked is the maximum power case scenario, but no, im not talking bout just that. most people i saw in dks3 was rolling with at least two summons. it was pretty common. in practice all it takes is one to completely break the souls enemies AI though. and with two people total you can just walk up to almost any enemy in the series and delete them before they can do anything. but my point was that a mechanic that allows a player to do nothing and win, even if they have to rely on a white phantom who is mlg (the one percent!!), is just like 'skip to credits' code.

Yeah, because it turns out Souls games are actually easy, and people find them hard because they are deliberately avoiding game mechanics.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I want people to keep using summons in souls games because helping people beat bosses is great fun.

I personally like to beat bosses by myself but the summoning mechanic is there for a reason for the people who don't. Summoning is pretty much the easy difficulty setting implemented in a really entertaining way.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Everyone is speaking out against Jolly Cooperation and it's making Solaire sad.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Andrast posted:

I want people to keep using summons in souls games because helping people beat bosses is great fun.

I personally like to beat bosses by myself but the summoning mechanic is there for a reason for the people who don't. Summoning is pretty much the easy difficulty setting implemented in a really entertaining way.

it also leads to things you wouldnt otherwise see. i helped my cousin with micolash and he went bonkers and clipped into the ceiling. we had to throw a bunch of poo poo at him in order to get him into the next phase of the fight

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Someone already said it close enough but the only time I've ever thought kind of poorly of summoning was probably DS3, just because that one more than any other gets broken all to poo poo with a helper around.

It's not like I'm gonna tell people not to, I've enjoyed helping a bunch of people throughout DeS-1-2-3-BB, 3 was just the one where it felt pretty :effort: because so many bosses completely choked to tank & spank.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Catching up on the podcasts, matchstick men rules

GulagDolls posted:

its pretty weird to complain about a fanbase out of nowhere over and over.
It's warranted. I mean, I liked this episode even if they didn't do much, but people are LOSING THEIR poo poo because ~but quelaag~

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Catching up on the podcasts, matchstick men rules

It's warranted. I mean, I liked this episode even if they didn't do much, but people are LOSING THEIR poo poo because ~but quelaag~

To be fair, it's pretty weird that Pat didn't direct Woolie to explore the rest of the area before going up. This is just wasting everybody's time since it's going to result in pointless backtracking.

People getting legitimately angy about it is pretty funny though.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 8, 2017

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

want spider brast funny video man :black101:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Andrast posted:

Something I didn't really come to until embarrassingly late (Like practically done with DaS2) is that putting your sign down is a great way to practice against bosses that you're having a hard time against. Used that + Small White Soap Stone to actually enjoy my time all the way through DaS3.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

im not really sure why this inspires such emotional fervor in people

i hope woolie stops using the partizan because despite it attacking faster, a lot of the time he only ever attacks with it once and then backs away. the halberd would be good but it would also be nice if he could get a giant club.

I'd rather he just have let Pat get the Balder side sword for him. Having played with it, it feels pretty in line with how Woolie is playing.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Andrast posted:

To be fair, it's pretty weird that Pat didn't direct Woolie to explore the rest of the area before going up. This is just wasting everybody's time since it's going to result in pointless backtracking.

People getting legitimately angy about it is pretty funny though.

It's fine to do that, once you open the shortcut to Firelink going to Blighttown and back is trivial. It's a bit pointless, yeah, but finishing off Quelaag before going up isn't THAT big a time saver.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Do you group in an MMO? Heh, might as well be cheating. loving casuals.

Seriously though the only reasons I'm glad for the Andre detour are Woolie's rage and the halberd/partisan discussion, particularly the latter because now the issue is laid to rest.

What's the next spear he's likely to find, anyway? Did he grab the Winged Spear and forget about it? I know there's the Lightning in Sen's as well. I'm glad he's finally broken free from Pat's reigns, it just took him the entire series to do it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Dark Souls is a pretty good game about having all weapons be generally viable in PvE, so the Partisan's gonna be fine. You rarely see spear playthroughs anyway so I'm happy Woolie took the time to properly shut down all the Halberd fanbois.

HoboTech posted:

What's the next spear he's likely to find, anyway? Did he grab the Winged Spear and forget about it? I know there's the Lightning in Sen's as well. I'm glad he's finally broken free from Pat's reigns, it just took him the entire series to do it.

If memory serves, he can get the Demon Spear and the Silver Knight Spear as drops in Anor Londo. I don't think there's much more afterwards. Hopefully he gets a SKS, it's a pretty drat good weapon and should help a bunch with the Catacombs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sadly there'll be endless bitching about his damage output.

Seeing people bitching about Woolie's lack of dodging feels funny as I watch their DS2 playthrough where Woolie rolls almost too much.

But yeah, spears are fun. Winged Spear has been my workhorse in DS2, actually gets kind of funny when combined with the stone ring as it can make it quite easy to stunlock phantoms from safety. Unless it's that Havel one in that one Abyss portal.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 8, 2017

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
Woolie could latch onto the least optimal, most turtle-mode weapon in the entire game and I'd still be happy, so long as it's nothing like what Pat wants. I love Pat and I'd be lying if I said he wasn't my favorite, but his entire approach to video-games is like triple-distilled anti-fun.

Oxyclean posted:

But yeah, spears are fun.

Look out for the Santiers Spear if you can, it's hidden away somewhere in the Doors of Pharros. Its got a fun gimmick to it and one of the nuttiest movesets in the game.

Justice Sloth fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 8, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
But Pat uses big-rear end two-handers, no? I thought those were The Fun Weapon

I think the real reason to not use the Halberd is that hitting with it looks like poo poo.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Minecraft: Story Mode is so bad that Pat and Woolie start discussing a hypothetical Youtube channel about high quality, technical Dildo reviews.

Gods, this sounds painful. Guys, please, stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

J.A.B.C. posted:

Minecraft: Story Mode is so bad that Pat and Woolie start discussing a hypothetical Youtube channel about high quality, technical Dildo reviews.

Gods, this sounds painful. Guys, please, stop.

It's SUPPOSED to hurt, it's literally the Hangover Cure LP.