Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Blocking is real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You have i-frames. There's even a skill for dual katanas to give you more i-frames and a damage bonus if you use them.

Also word of warning, if you want to cosplay as a european (light or heavy armor) get all the drops in the first mission you can. That stuff carries over and with soul matching you could drag british knight armor and broadsword through the whole game.

Oh and if anyone is having doubts about dual katanas, at least stick with it until you can get the mid/low combo ender where you have to time 2 presses right. That combo is ridiculous (use it with low stance to get a ki-pulse when you start it too!) and even stands your opponent for an up-right grapple at the end, even when you got a knockdown that usually means you only get a floor-grapple.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 8, 2017

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I went with a spear and dual katanas

Dualies are real fun y'all

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Bat bitch is wrecking my poo poo

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Give her the clamps

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Boy, boss fights in this game sure are miserable huh.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I like em since to me it feels more than hugging someone's chest and going right

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah I'm still terrible with iframes. No idea which way I should be going when they attack.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I figured out bat boss's attack patterns pretty quick and just stood away while spamming strong attack with the chain. You can literally just hold run and strafe everything she does, and then attack at a distance after she does her spin attack.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also the really inconsistent framerate both in 30fps mode and 60fps mode is giving me a headache, which I'm sure is not helping my appreciation for the game any.

So change it? :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

What do you mean? There is nothing else to change it to.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

DatonKallandor posted:

Also word of warning, if you want to cosplay as a european (light or heavy armor) get all the drops in the first mission you can. That stuff carries over and with soul matching you could drag british knight armor and broadsword through the whole game.
I finished the first mission in that full plate armor, but it was gone after William gets to weab out starting the fishing village. Did it go to some storage function I don't have yet?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Last night decided to coop with a buddy and turns out my game never finished downloading. It was at 80% which was enough to play the first area and side mission but not enough to move forward or play with my pal :saddowns:

Cool system, Sony.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I finished the first mission in that full plate armor, but it was gone after William gets to weab out starting the fishing village. Did it go to some storage function I don't have yet?

Yes. The game is set up in a world map/mission structure, which it does not tell you or indicate from the outset. Once you beat the mission you're on now the game will open up and you'll be able to access your storage box, which has all the crap you picked up in the intro in it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
This game loving owns and the only part I haven't liked is getting lost in that goddamn catacomb maze after a certain boss fight. gently caress that sucked.

First person to quote me who has PMs gets an Amazon preorder code which actually has Good poo poo in it especially for Fashion Souls.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Yodzilla posted:

This game loving owns and the only part I haven't liked is getting lost in that goddamn catacomb maze after a certain boss fight. gently caress that sucked.

First person to quote me who has PMs gets an Amazon preorder code which actually has Good poo poo in it especially for Fashion Souls.

Ha! So waiting for workday to end to play this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Brackhar posted:

What weapons do synergize with magic?

Kusarigama are great with both magic and ninjutsu because, when you buff them with an element or status ailment, they hit so often that they build it up on enemies faster than any other weapon. They pair better with ninjutsu just because they both key off the same primary stat (Dexterity), but if you were to do, say, a Dex/Magic build, you could be a status effect monster with kusarigama.

Learning about the Discord status effect makes me strongly consider going into Magic a bit. Basically, if you get two elemental status effects to stick to an enemy at the same time, they get a third status effect called Discord that makes them take like 50% extra damage and also nukes their Ki regeneration. Elemental status effects are really, really good and I wouldn't be surprised if a Magic/Dex build with kusarigama is the OP PvE build once people figure everything out. I'm sticking with katanas for now, but magic kusarigama is very tempting.

CJacobs posted:

Do you not have invincibility frames in your dodge in this game? Or are they just low? That would explain a lot regarding my performance!

To be honest the game is not really grabbing me. I like it but I'm mostly just playing it because I spent 60 dollars on it. I agree with the review that I read that says the game is not punishing enough for standard enemies and way too punishing for big enemies. So far they haven't really found a good balance between "this enemy kills you in 10 hits" and "this enemy kills you in 2 hits".

edit: Also the really inconsistent framerate both in 30fps mode and 60fps mode is giving me a headache, which I'm sure is not helping my appreciation for the game any.

I think the invincibility frames come at a different part in the dodging animation in this than in Souls/Bloodborne. You have them and they're pretty generous, but there are a few startup frames first, so you need to dodge a little earlier than you think you need to.

Also, heavy armor is actually good in this, despite what it looks like. Even beyond the passive damage reduction being decent, it massively decreases the Ki you lose when you block attacks (basically heavy armor = really high stability shield in Souls). Blocking is really viable against a lot of enemies even without heavy armor, but if you want to block big, heavy attacks, heavy armor will let you.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 8, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Did anyone else not get a third DLC helmet? I have the Ogress one and the Kabuto one, but nothing else.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

Learning about the Discord status effect makes me strongly consider going into Magic a bit. Basically, if you get two elemental status effects to stick to an enemy at the same time, they get a third status effect called Discord that makes them take like 50% extra damage and also nukes their Ki regeneration. Elemental status effects are really, really good and I wouldn't be surprised if a Magic/Dex build with kusarigama is the OP PvE build once people figure everything out. I'm sticking with katanas for now, but magic kusarigama is very tempting.

I completely forgot about this, the combat system encourages stance dancing for flux and switching weapons in mid combo but I was forgetting the reasons why

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Did you know that if you go into your titles/prestige menu that you can unlock bonus effects to the tune of Borderlands 2 style badass ranks?

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Lakbay posted:

I completely forgot about this, the combat system encourages stance dancing for flux and switching weapons in mid combo but I was forgetting the reasons why

Wait, so how would someone accomplish this? You would need two weapons with elemental effects right? There's just so much poo poo in this game. Now I gotta google how to enchant weapons with elemental effects.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

You can make this fight much, much easier if you stack paralyze resist gear. Throughout the level you probably picked up "archer" set items which all have that stat. Between that and two paralyze resist accessories the stun time went from "welp, I'm dead" to about a second, maybe two if she landed it.

On that note, dodge into her paralyze shout instead of away or to the side and just wait for an opening to land one or two hits.

Her second phase move set does not change beyond her doing a couple things in the air, so aim for counter attacks after her three hit round house combo and you shouldn't have any more trouble.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 8, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone write off Nioh as a "Gameloft Souls clone" when Lords of the Fallen exists?

Honestly the only thing that really feels Dark Souls-ian to me is the amarita/death and leveling system. The core combat feels at least to me closer to what a modern day Onimusha game would play like, minus critical hits causing you to dash through a half dozen mooks.

I beat the spider/bat lady boss last night after about 20 tries. If anyone needs help with it: Wear an anti-paralysis charm or a couple of pieces of armor that has paralysis resist (I had an archer set that had it baked in). It's completely possible to eat her paralyzing ranged attack without getting paralyzed with even a modest amount of paralysis resist. When she flies up in the air you can avoid 90% of her attacks by just sprinting (not dodging) sideways when she starts in her attack, and there's enough gap in between the attacks themselves that you should be able to get a rifle or bow shot in between them. I was using spears and stuck in low stance and just administered a couple of slaps when she whiffed or I dodged/blocked an attack, about 2 low strong attacks with the spear, ki pulse, then back off and wait for her next attack. Do not use strong stance, she will just Iframe through your slow rear end attacks and kick you in the face until you die.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 8, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ACValiant posted:

Wait, so how would someone accomplish this? You would need two weapons with elemental effects right? There's just so much poo poo in this game. Now I gotta google how to enchant weapons with elemental effects.

You can use consumables like fire bombs to proc a second elemental status.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ACValiant posted:

You can throw fire bombs to set enemies on fire, or use talismans to buff your weapons with elements. I'm pretty sure you can buff a weapon that has passive elemental damage, too, so you could conceivably get two elemental damage types on one weapon like that.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I thought the boss of the mines was stupidly bad but the boss of the ocean shrine was an agonising ordeal once I got over the initial amusement of getting insta-killed by a giant gently caress-off beam attack in the first five seconds of the fight so thank god I got a little accessory that lets me see where kodamas are on the mini-map early on so I never have to go back there ever again. It was like they managed to pack everything I hate in a boss fight into one fight. I am enjoying the game and loving the levels and everything but man those two boss fights were stinkers.

Also for anyone having difficulty with some of the boss' attacks like the scream or giant slamming tentacles or things like that, dodging/rolling is fine but you can actually just sprint to the side and it'll miss you. Doesn't work for everything (for example the triple kunai the bat-yokai throws) but it's kind of hilarious just how many of those weird ranged attacks you can avoid by doing a runner off to the side.

Monolith. posted:

Did you know that if you go into your titles/prestige menu that you can unlock bonus effects to the tune of Borderlands 2 style badass ranks?

This is pretty important so I'm quoting it! Also important is to note that there's two different categories, and both accrue their own points. So use your shoulder buttons as directed on that screen to get the most out of both of them.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I thought the boss of the mines was stupidly bad but the boss of the ocean shrine was an agonising ordeal once I got over the initial amusement of getting insta-killed by a giant gently caress-off beam attack in the first five seconds of the fight so thank god I got a little accessory that lets me see where kodamas are on the mini-map early on so I never have to go back there ever again. It was like they managed to pack everything I hate in a boss fight into one fight. I am enjoying the game and loving the levels and everything but man those two boss fights were stinkers.

Also for anyone having difficulty with some of the boss' attacks like the scream or giant slamming tentacles or things like that, dodging/rolling is fine but you can actually just sprint to the side and it'll miss you. Doesn't work for everything (for example the triple kunai the bat-yokai throws) but it's kind of hilarious just how many of those weird ranged attacks you can avoid by doing a runner off to the side.

This is pretty important so I'm quoting it! Also important is to note that there's two different categories, and both accrue their own points. So use your shoulder buttons as directed on that screen to get the most out of both of them.

What are you dumping those points into? I am still early in the game so I was thinking elixir healing % since that would always be useful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Meridian posted:

What are you dumping those points into? I am still early in the game so I was thinking elixir healing % since that would always be useful.

The available options rotate every time you spend a point so you can't really dump them all into one thing. But they're all generally useful, I think. Maybe the ones that give you extra Life aren't that useful--it seems like a small amount per point and you're getting Life from several stats already--but the rest seem good.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Meridian posted:

Elixir healing is definitely a good one. I've thrown some points into the damage stuff because every little bit helps, same with spirit health and yokai realm stuff. I can tell you right now though I am never touching fall damage. That's a goddamn trick right there.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

My solution to batgirl was to use paralysis charms from the ninja tree and throw those purple consumable at her. I used two of each during the fight. The purple things immediately broke her stamina, and I just wailed on her with a mid-stance axe. The rest of the time I dodged and blocked her combos, hitting when there was an opening, including when she misses a grab attack. In the air, I just shot her after the knife throw. I used charms when it felt right, but don't think I ever got hit by the scream attack.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 8, 2017

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Y'all, how much of this game is Dark Souls and how much is Ninja Gaiden? The Ninja Gaidens were some of my fav games, beat them, loved the speed and the super deep combat. Dark Souls I do not like because it is intended to piss you off, and my dude could only swing his sword in like one direction while pausing in between. Felt real clunky.

I'm not afraid of it being hard (if anyone beat any of the Ninja Gaidens...) I just don't like the (slow, obese) feel of combat in Dark Souls. So would I hate this?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Armor affects dodge speed right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

black.lion posted:

Y'all, how much of this game is Dark Souls and how much is Ninja Gaiden? The Ninja Gaidens were some of my fav games, beat them, loved the speed and the super deep combat. Dark Souls I do not like because it is intended to piss you off, and my dude could only swing his sword in like one direction while pausing in between. Felt real clunky.

I'm not afraid of it being hard (if anyone beat any of the Ninja Gaidens...) I just don't like the (slow, obese) feel of combat in Dark Souls. So would I hate this?

It's much faster than Dark Souls. Much faster. Even if you wear heavy armor. I won't say it's more Ninja Gaiden than Souls, but it's sort of like Ninja Gaiden and Bloodborne had a beautiful, weird baby. That said, it does pull some Dark Souls tricks, like nasty traps or enemies positioned to ambush you, so if you felt like those things in Souls were intended to piss you off rather than challenge you, you might find some parts of this a little frustrating. It also has the same experience/leveling system as Souls, so you drop your experience when you die and have to reclaim it. But as for the combat, it's significantly faster and more fluid than Dark Souls.

veni veni veni posted:

Armor affects dodge speed right?

Yes. It also affects how much Ki damage you take when you get hit and how much Ki you spend when you block an attack. Light armor lets you dodge like a madman, while heavy armor lets you block huge axe swings from giant oni without breaking a sweat.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

black.lion posted:

Ever play Bloodborne? It's somewhere in between Souls and Bloodborne for difficulty and style of combat.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Harrow posted:

The available options rotate every time you spend a point so you can't really dump them all into one thing. But they're all generally useful, I think. Maybe the ones that give you extra Life aren't that useful--it seems like a small amount per point and you're getting Life from several stats already--but the rest seem good.

Oh I didn't realize they rotated. Cooool.

Is there any information about soft or hardcaps on stats yet? I haven't been able to get a good feel for the scaling so I have pretty much just been dumping into health and ki. Has been working out well so far since the spear is extremely my poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Meridian posted:

Is there any information about soft or hardcaps on stats yet? I haven't been able to get a good feel for the scaling so I have pretty much just been dumping into health and ki. Has been working out well so far since the spear is extremely my poo poo.

Not much yet, from what I can find. Apparently it's a little hard to figure out because it isn't as clear-cut as Souls. You'll go from getting 3 points of attack per point, to 2, to 1, but then all of a sudden back up to 3 eventually. It's not a predictable progression with clear breakpoints. Eventually someone will map it all out and find the point of diminishing returns, but it isn't obvious right away like it is in Souls.

People in this thread often say you hit diminishing returns on stats really early, but if you keep pressing on, you start getting bigger gains again.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If I go back and get the shrine buddies in a level I've done can I port out and keep them w/o killing the boss of the level again? I'd rather not have a guide going thru the first time to find them, but also don't wanna have to kill the level's boss again if I miss some and want to get them.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Beat bat bitch by switching to a spear. The low stance flip is so loving sweet.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Beat bat bitch by switching to a spear. The low stance flip is so loving sweet.

Right? I love the low stance move set. My buddy is telling me to try out the chain thing, but I haven't found a good one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Mr E posted:

If I go back and get the shrine buddies in a level I've done can I port out and keep them w/o killing the boss of the level again? I'd rather not have a guide going thru the first time to find them, but also don't wanna have to kill the level's boss again if I miss some and want to get them.

Having all the little guys collected isn't a huge deal, especially since moving to a new region on the JAPAN MAP essentially has you starting to collect them and getting their bonuses from scratch every time.