Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Comparing it to Ninja Gaiden makes me want to get it a lot more (wasn't originally going to, too much other stuff lying around/incoming).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It sounded neat to me but if someone mentions loot in the first sentence summary I immediately lose all interest

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm probably gonna wait a bit on Nioh, kinda BloodBurned out on Souls-ey stuff right now.

Definitely excited for Nier though

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

In Training posted:

It sounded neat to me but if someone mentions loot in the first sentence summary I immediately lose all interest

People loving love loot. You get that sick rush man! Loot endorphins!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

People loving love loot. You get that sick rush man! Loot endorphins!

This might be why I like Destiny! Shooting things and picking up engrams!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The loot stuff in Nioh is definitely not great imo because you get a lot of it and most of it is trash or marginal upgrade which just means a lot of inventory fiddling for not much reward. I say this as someone who can get into loot games sometimes. Its worth putting up with for the good parts of the game though.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I cannot deny the pleasure I get from killing a giant and letting my combo slice off his head, arms and legs while golden items spew forth from his corpse like an opulent geyser. I promise I'm not going to keep white knighting this game, but one positive that comes from the glut of items is that it helps get rid of the "vial run" part of Bloodborne's loop. If you go through a stage and hit a wall with the boss, and are now almost out of surplus elixirs, you can offer up all the trash to the gods in a very quick and easy way, and that will give you experience and items. It's a nice feature I've used in the demos and in the game so far, and even though I've only gotten 5-7 elixirs each time it's always been enough to get me through the stage. And if you do have to make a run for elixirs, you'll get more equipment that can be offered for better return on your time investment. The Nioh equipment loop has a rough start because you'll be examining everything you pick up until you have a full set of weapons and armor, but after that you can just hoover up what gets dropped and check it once and a while, like at a shrine, to see if you picked up anything better than what you're using.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LawfulWaffle posted:

I promise I'm not going to keep white knighting this game

Post what you want, man. Don't be self-conscious about discussing how cool a new game is. That's half the fun of these forums!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

In Training posted:

Oh you'll love this one then. Not only is there loot, but when you craft a weapon or armor there's RNG mechanics for what quality it will be. Even if you use all the best ingredients you get like a 33% chance of the best grade :laugh:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lobok posted:

Post what you want, man. Don't be self-conscious about discussing how cool a new game is. That's half the fun of these forums!

I think it's real cool guys.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CrashCat posted:

Oh you'll love this one then. Not only is there loot, but when you craft a weapon or armor there's RNG mechanics for what quality it will be. Even if you use all the best ingredients you get like a 33% chance of the best grade :laugh:

I feel like that is a trap option anyways and you should only be upgrading your gear via drops and then soul matching the good ones up to the right level periodically.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The nearly equal chance of getting the worst quality item would suggest it's a major trap, yeah

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I need to experiment with Soul Matching. I've put it on the backburner since I don't have a lot of weapons with abilities that can be inherited yet. Is there an incentive to start earlier?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The "soul matching" system in Nioh helps with the fiddly loot bits quite a bit. There's a bit more to it, butthe gist of it is that you can upgrade the level of an equiptment item by feeding it another item of a higher level. The original item becomes the levek of the new item.

So rather than constantly having ti swao gear to new stuff, you can just feed it to your old stuff. I had a level 6 sword, and got a level 14 spear as a drop. Soul Match, my sword is now level 14.

Ditto with armor. It's a really neat way to to it. There's also a refashion system so you can make your armor look like any armor you jave previously picked up. You don't even have to still have it. So fashion is alive and very well.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I need to experiment with Soul Matching. I've put it on the backburner since I don't have a lot of weapons with abilities that can be inherited yet. Is there an incentive to start earlier?

Not at all, if anything its the opposite since the cost to soul match goes up every time you do it (for that particular item).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Snak posted:

Ditto with armor. It's a really neat way to to it. There's also a refashion system so you can make your armor look like any armor you jave previously picked up. You don't even have to still have it. So fashion is alive and very well.

Whoa that's awesome

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

Not at all, if anything its the opposite since the cost to soul match goes up every time you do it (for that particular item).

I haven't looked for comparison, but is the cost going up because of repeated soul matching, or does it jhst costs more to soulmatch higher level item? Possibly some combination of both...

Edit: ^thats what I've been told, I haven't tested it myself. But other goons in discord said that was the case, that picking up an item once gives you the design for it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 8, 2017

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

The loot stuff in Nioh is definitely not great imo because you get a lot of it and most of it is trash or marginal upgrade which just means a lot of inventory fiddling for not much reward. I say this as someone who can get into loot games sometimes. Its worth putting up with for the good parts of the game though.

Originally the game had weapon degradation, but they took that out before release. You were supposed to be breaking weapons all the time and replacing them, but they didn't adjust the loot mechanics before release so instead we got this.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I wonder if there will be smithing texts for the plate armor from the tutorial. It'd be a neat gimmick to keep glamoring all your equipment to be medieval-looking. For now I'll be content making every good helmet I find look like the London guard's top hat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You either sell trash or disassemble it into crafting mats. High tier crafting mats can be crafted out of low tier crafting mats. So you can literally hit a button that says "select all uncommon or below gear" and turn it into a pile of mats.

When you craft an item, the recipe calls for certain mats, but you can choose the quality of the mats you put into it, and it shows you straight up how this effects the percentage chance to determine the rarity of the crafted item.

So if you want to make a sword and it calles for 3 steel ingots, you can make it with 3 basic steel ingots and have a 45% chance it will come out yellow, 20% chance it will come out blue, or 3 high quality steel ingots to shift the chances to like 30% yellow, 30% blue. And any combination in between. And you can make high quality ingots out of basic ingots.

If you don't care about that, you can offer items at shrine to sell them for amrita (xp), or sell them at the blacksmith for gold. So there are 3 different ways to dispose of your trash items, and some pretty handy selection tools to manage a big inventory.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I bought MGS Phantom Pain right before leaving on a business trip. It's been a good trip but man I want to get back to tying balloons to things and riding my horse around Afghanistan. I'm having a bit of trouble with the controls because I'm fairly new to PlayStation games. Do you just have to keep playing the game and eventually you internalize the controls? And are these controls fairly universal to PS4 games or am I going to have to relearn everything for the next shooter?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Prop Wash posted:

I bought MGS Phantom Pain right before leaving on a business trip. It's been a good trip but man I want to get back to tying balloons to things and riding my horse around Afghanistan. I'm having a bit of trouble with the controls because I'm fairly new to PlayStation games. Do you just have to keep playing the game and eventually you internalize the controls? And are these controls fairly universal to PS4 games or am I going to have to relearn everything for the next shooter?

The MGS games all have very unique control schemes that work well but take a long time to get used to and won't translate to any other shooter out there.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
They're expanding (?) E3 attendee allotment by 15,000 so they can open it up to the public.

That...that doesn't sound like it's going to be a hassle to get work done there for the people who actually go to the convention to report on things at all.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Snak posted:

The "soul matching" system in Nioh helps with the fiddly loot bits quite a bit. There's a bit more to it, butthe gist of it is that you can upgrade the level of an equiptment item by feeding it another item of a higher level. The original item becomes the levek of the new item.

So rather than constantly having ti swao gear to new stuff, you can just feed it to your old stuff. I had a level 6 sword, and got a level 14 spear as a drop. Soul Match, my sword is now level 14.

Hell yeah, took the one thing mmos did right and made it better.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

welcome, Consumers

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

They're expanding (?) E3 attendee allotment by 15,000 so they can open it up to the public.

That...that doesn't sound like it's going to be a hassle to get work done there for the people who actually go to the convention to report on things at all.

There's a lot of empty floor space for them to be in now, at least. :v:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I know loads of people only go to Comic-Cons and PAX conventions because exhibitors and booths will usually have "Super Rare Swag" that's already gone before you wake up in the morning but I don't know if most game companies even do that at E3 anymore. I know Nintendo still gives away pins/badges and sometimes coins.

At least compared to how it was in the first half of the 2000's when journalists would write up stories about all the random crap companies were giving away and they would literally have to carry all that poo poo around in swag bags.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Speaking as someone who regularly goes to E3 for work that isn't anything new. The ten billion lovely gamestop employees make doing anything on the floor a giant pain in the rear end at any time and that is why most (good) publishers have private booths.

If you're the kind of person who treats E3 as a place for free swag you'll probably be in trouble but gently caress those guys too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Please consider signing this petition, help out those most affected by today's political climate.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Speaking as someone who regularly goes to E3 for work that isn't anything new. The ten billion lovely gamestop employees make doing anything on the floor a giant pain in the rear end at any time and that is why most (good) publishers have private booths.

If you're the kind of person who treats E3 as a place for free swag you'll probably be in trouble but gently caress those guys too.

I'm curious if e3 collapses soon and how that will affect companies that have set up their own separate events that rely on E3 bringing in lots of people.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PantsBandit posted:

The MGS games all have very unique control schemes that work well but take a long time to get used to and won't translate to any other shooter out there.

True, but the left stick move, right stick look, L2 aim, R2 fire is more or less universal and getting used to that will translate easily.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Please consider signing this petition, help out those most affected by today's political climate.

I would get it if it came to PC

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I feel like that is a trap option anyways and you should only be upgrading your gear via drops and then soul matching the good ones up to the right level periodically.

Sometimes crafting can be worth trying, like if there's a unique weapon or armor set you want a better quality level of. I think it's how you get a purple Raikiri, for example, which is a great thing for a Spirit build to have. Or you could try to craft a purple version of the DLC armor if you like the set bonus.

But the crafting and excessive inventory fiddling are totally optional. You can do just fine picking up loot and only screwing around in menus when you're at a shrine, for example. If you don't want to craft you can just sacrifice unwanted loot for amrita and random items at any shrine, or disassemble and sell the materials to buy ammo/consumables/other gear. I think how much you engage with the random loot depends entirely on how much you enjoy min-maxing and not caring too much won't impair your ability to finish the game.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tokyo Games Show is open to the public and basically about as packed as a Yamanote line car at rush hour. But it's also fun and really energetic, and aside from smelling much worse I can't imagine why E3 wouldn't succeed too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I'm glad Nioh already has a crowd dedicated to the GameFAQs style posting to killed thousands of people's interest in the Souls series immediately

Lmao :yeah:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Yeah I just meant the tendency for people to drop huge walls of text at a moments notice about how to play :P

I think people (like me) do that just because, with games like these, it's easy for players to get turned off of something they might otherwise enjoy because they didn't learn a couple key mechanics. So people who like them want to make sure nobody misses things like that so everyone has the best chance possible to enjoy it.

I didn't realize I was being annoying and turning people off, though, so I'll try to stop.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Don't stop being a wordy nerd over video games on the video games subforum

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

let the controllers do the talking

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

let the controllers do the talking

Oh, actually, I turned my controller's speaker volume way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

from gamer to lamer: a cautionary tale

• Locked thread