Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Meridian posted:

Right? I love the low stance move set. My buddy is telling me to try out the chain thing, but I haven't found a good one yet.

Its real fun too. The move set has a really versatile moveset.

I really like the difference in the Guardian Spirit bonuses. It's pretty loving dumb how you unlock them though. You think there's be something more than "you got some spirit" after a mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Did they nerf salt? I couldn't get it to do anything. I remember it being super powerful against yokai in the beta. Last night I tried to use it against one of the big cyclops yokai three times and it had no effect. Am I using it wrong? Walk up to them, throw it at them point blank, right?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Having all the little guys collected isn't a huge deal, especially since moving to a new region on the JAPAN MAP essentially has you starting to collect them and getting their bonuses from scratch every time.

Ah, didn't know they had different regions, I won't worry too much in that case.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Snak posted:

Did they nerf salt? I couldn't get it to do anything. I remember it being super powerful against yokai in the beta. Last night I tried to use it against one of the big cyclops yokai three times and it had no effect. Am I using it wrong? Walk up to them, throw it at them point blank, right?

I've been trying that too and nothing is happening. It's really goddamn weird as that's how I took down powerful bosses in the beta.

Ataxerxes posted:

Ha! So waiting for workday to end to play this.

Sent! Enjoy ur codes. The armor you get is pretty goddamn solid for the first 3 levels or so.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I destroyed Omnyroki's ki bar once with salt and then salt never worked again for me

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I had the same issue with salt. Wasted like 3 of them and saw no effect regardless of distance to the yokai.

Is there a special method to enhance gear? I've only upped my sanada set a little by using higher level basic gear, but can you get skills/attributes from other items onto the best you enhance?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So I pre-ordered this and have it at home, should I play it now, or finish the last of us? I'm playing through for the first time on survival. I'm at the suburbs for reference.
Aka I want to play, but I don't want to forget all the buttons for the last of us after I spend 100 hours on Nioh

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

If you parry the bat lady's first attack it completely breaks the battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mloGgQI9p8A

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

RC Cola posted:

So I pre-ordered this and have it at home, should I play it now, or finish the last of us? I'm playing through for the first time on survival. I'm at the suburbs for reference.
Aka I want to play, but I don't want to forget all the buttons for the last of us after I spend 100 hours on Nioh

That is tough, I say finish Last of Us though because it is amazing and you are pretty far along.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
While Nioh is game of the year, finush TLoU, since it's got a strong narrative drive and you should preserve that momentum.

Nioh will still be here in a few days.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
I really loving hate this Deep in the Shadows mission, the loving ledges and the loving bats. :argh:

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Wait, you can't co-op until after you've beaten a stage? That's kinda dumb imo.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
If I were to create a new game later would my pre-order bonus items be available for use in that game too?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

there wolf lmao posted:

If I were to create a new game later would my pre-order bonus items be available for use in that game too?

I am wondering this too.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I can't tell if this game is easier than the betas or just way better balanced. Regardless it's a loving blast.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I really should've finished Yakuza 0 before yesterday. Now I have a tough choice between the 2 since the story is really picking up in Yakuza 0 now. The control schemes between the 2 games is almost 1:1 which is also pretty funny.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They removed like a third of the enemies from the first few stages

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So the skills that say "you can use Ki pulse while dodging", does that was actually mean that dodging automatically uses Ki pulse if it's available?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don't mind it too much but is the whole game greyish and or on fire or are there more colorful areas later

Game is addicting as gently caress. Might like it more than souls just because the combat is much more team ninja

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
The decision to change how co op works in Nioh from the betas is not only baffling but the number of people posting on sites defending the change and insulting people who'd like to play a game with a friend without beating the stage first is the only disappointing thing about this game so far.

Why even have the option to summon another player at all? I'm not advocating for someone who's on the last mission to be able to summon someone who's just beaten the first mission but if two players have a particular mission or submission unlocked they should be able to play it together in jolly cooperation.

Dark Souls and Bloodborne let you do this and it was how I liked playing them. It did not keep "purists" from enjoying the single player at all in those games and it won't in this one. But the fact that it worked great in the demos but they just took it out just makes the decision even more confusing.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ethanol posted:

I don't mind it too much but is the whole game greyish and or on fire or are there more colorful areas later

Ha, came here to ask the same question, how is environment and level visual variety? Without spoilers if possible!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

there wolf lmao posted:

Can you not have multiple save files? It seems like this would be easy to test.

My guess is that they're still going to be available because you're not pulling them out of a shared storage chest, and because almost every game lets you use them in later playthroughs. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was just a weird case.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 8, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So the skills that say "you can use Ki pulse while dodging", does that was actually mean that dodging automatically uses Ki pulse if it's available?

Yes, it means your dodge triggers Ki Pulse.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

It's a pretty bad description. "Dodging counts as a Ki pulse" would've been more appropriate.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The Dark Souls comparison to this to me is like a great cover song that takes the original and completely makes it it's own. Like Hendrix taking All Along the Watchtower from Dylan and crushing it.

The combat in this game is so much fun and despite it being really fast, I feel they've nailed the defensive aspect of it as well which is something I felt Bloodborne lacked.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Having all the little guys collected isn't a huge deal, especially since moving to a new region on the JAPAN MAP essentially has you starting to collect them and getting their bonuses from scratch every time.

Aww, kodama are mission-specific? I thought I'd keep building up their bonuses over the course of the game if I kept finding them. That's kind of a bummer.

SamuraiPaul posted:

Why even have the option to summon another player at all? I'm not advocating for someone who's on the last mission to be able to summon someone who's just beaten the first mission but if two players have a particular mission or submission unlocked they should be able to play it together in jolly cooperation.

When it comes to the "summon a visitor from the shrine" thing, I think it makes some sense to make it so you can only summon someone who's finished that mission, sort of like proof they're going to be able to help you. But "Yokai Realm with a Companion" shouldn't have that restriction. Just implement some super-basic damage/stat scaling if you're worried about super-high-level people trivializing things for lower-level players. Cap every derived stat (Life, damage, defense, not Heart, Body, Strength, etc.) at "lower-level player's stat + X" so that you can account for players with different builds having higher or lower Life or defense, while still making sure super-high-level players are scaled down so as to not totally trivialize things and still have fun.

Or don't do that and just be like who the gently caress cares if someone decides they want to blaze through the game on easy mode with their buddy who already beat the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure that tha kodama are mission specific. My kodama blessing is never reduced when I start a new mission, and I think you can select kodama blessing at the Starting Point shrine.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Harrow posted:

Or don't do that and just be like who the gently caress cares if someone decides they want to blaze through the game on easy mode with their buddy who already beat the game.

My issue is that this right here is essentially the only form of coop, which really detracts from the experience. I want somebody to struggle WITH, not for somebody to eliminate all challenge entirely.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emalde posted:

My issue is that this right here is essentially the only form of coop, which really detracts from the experience. I want somebody to struggle WITH, not for somebody to eliminate all challenge entirely.

Does "Yokai Realm with a Companion" require that both players have already completed the mission, or just one? If it's just one, then yeah, scratch everything I said.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

I can't tell if this game is easier than the betas or just way better balanced. Regardless it's a loving blast.

Enemies don't start hitting as hard as they did in the betas until around halfway through the second region.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Drop last of us. It's combat is boring and the story goes off the rails so many times it's like a watching a terrible episode of The Walking Dead. It's also one of the buggiest AAA games in a long time (you can straight run into areas before the games load enemies to avoid fights).

Nioh on the other hand has amazing combat. Incredibly fast paced and rewarding. The story I can't comment on yet but it's good so far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has anyone tested the difference in damage reduction between light and medium armor yet? I generally like the look of medium armor better--I'm not going for a ninjutsu build so I don't really want to look like a ninja all the time--but I really can't tell if the extra damage reduction that medium armor provides is worth either losing the higher Ki regeneration/dodge distance that light armor gets you or pumping Stamina to keep that while wearing medium-weight armor.

For reference, the rest of my build is katanas and Spirit all the way, and either way I'm leveling Body for armor so spears are going to be useful, so weapon choices don't really influence what I do. I guess if I go light armor, the Skill will make kusarigama a more attractive secondary weapon, but I really don't know.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Snak posted:

I'm not sure that tha kodama are mission specific. My kodama blessing is never reduced when I start a new mission, and I think you can select kodama blessing at the Starting Point shrine.

They aren't mission specific, they are region specific. You travel between several different regions of Japan, each of which serves as a sort of chapter with many missions. When you start a new region/chapter, you start your kodama collection from scratch. They're worth finding because the final fights of each region are seem balanced for having at least the extra healing item stock they give you.

Is anyone else feeling like they nerfed the difficulty a hair too much from the beta? I briefly got hung up on batgirl, because I didn't understand the paralysis mechanic, and then had a tough time with optional boss at the end of the first region (The lord you duel in the tall grass. He was great but honestly seems out of place difficulty wise). But other than those two fights I've been cruising without much difficulty. I just finished the boss in the mines in the second region... and I haven't upgraded or switched gear in forever because I already feel overpowered. I'm not even learning half of the mechanics because mid-stance axe is just good for seemingly everything.

I'm absolutely loving the game, but I could do with having it be just a touch more lethal. Probably midway between the beta and the final build would have been ideal.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
My buddy beat the Oni in the burning boat before I did and we were able to join up with one another. When he did I could tell that the boss' health and defense are scaled up when another player is in the game with you. I beat the big ball swinger by myself way easier than when I was tackling it with a friend. This would be fine if I didn't enjoy playing video games with friends but I'm one of those weirdos who can see past the flaws of trashy games like saints row and borderlands simply because you can bro out and enjoy yourself. In the demo we bro'd up by one of us starting a mission and then summoning the other through the random encounters +password at the torii gate. Then we'd go back and do the level again with the roles reversed.

As it stands I either need to blow through the game and try to beat a bunch of levels before my friend gets on today or I'll just wait and see if Team Ninja has some benevolence.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

They aren't mission specific, they are region specific. You travel between several different regions of Japan, each of which serves as a sort of chapter with many missions. When you start a new region/chapter, you start your kodama collection from scratch. They're worth finding because the final fights of each region are seem balanced for having at least the extra healing item stock they give you.

Ah, okay, that makes sense.

Bugblatter posted:

Is anyone else feeling like they nerfed the difficulty a hair too much from the beta? I briefly got hung up on batgirl, because I didn't understand the paralysis mechanic, and then had a tough time with optional boss at the end of the first region (The lord you duel in the tall grass. He was great but honestly seems out of place difficulty wise). But other than those two fights I've been cruising without much difficulty. I just finished the boss in the mines in the second region... and I haven't upgraded or switched gear in forever because I already feel overpowered. I'm not even learning half of the mechanics because mid-stance axe is just good for seemingly everything.

I'm absolutely loving the game, but I could do with having it be just a touch more lethal. Probably midway between the beta and the final build would have been ideal.

That's kind of a shame if it's that much easier. Maybe it's just that those of us who played the demos have something of a head start on learning how things work, so the early/mid-game is a lot easier for us? Someone earlier in the thread said that enemies start to get a lot more lethal past the halfway point of NG, but I'm not sure if being at the "second region" means you're already past that or not.

If nothing else, what I've seen from people who made it to NG+ suggests that it's going to have some pretty crazy challenges in it, so if nothing else, there's that to look forward to.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Pro Tip: fight lots Revenants when you have an AI companion because holy lol they're easy. Thanks for the free set equipment!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Harrow posted:

Also, heavy armor is actually good in this, despite what it looks like. Even beyond the passive damage reduction being decent, it massively decreases the Ki you lose when you block attacks (basically heavy armor = really high stability shield in Souls). Blocking is really viable against a lot of enemies even without heavy armor, but if you want to block big, heavy attacks, heavy armor will let you.

Are you sure about that? The game only says heavy armor (or more specifically, the toughness stat) decreases the ki you lose when you get hit, not when you block. The stat that governs how much ki it takes to block is called Parry and weapon specific (dual katanas have very good parry I think). Toughness should also give you poise but it doesn't say that anymore (it used to in the beta). Break is the opposite stat - that determines how good your weapon is at breaking through poise.

If you've played the Beta and Demo the game does feel pretty easy, at least in the first region. I was stomping over everything, including boat-gently caress and bat-lady. Then I hit lightning chimera and drat that's a difficulty jump.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 8, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Harrow posted:

Ah, okay, that makes sense.

That's kind of a shame if it's that much easier. Maybe it's just that those of us who played the demos have something of a head start on learning how things work, so the early/mid-game is a lot easier for us? Someone earlier in the thread said that enemies start to get a lot more lethal past the halfway point of NG, but I'm not sure if being at the "second region" means you're already past that or not.

If nothing else, what I've seen from people who made it to NG+ suggests that it's going to have some pretty crazy challenges in it, so if nothing else, there's that to look forward to.

Nah, I think I'm still pretty early on. The second region is maybe five main missions in? Like I've played a ton of hours, but most of that is side missions (Which get much better, with their own large unique maps and NPC storylines. Not just reverse routes with harder enemies).

It probably is just that I'm not that far in. Would make sense for the beta to have early levels tuned to mid-game difficulty, so as to give Souls veterans an idea of gameplay without giving any spoilers.

Anyone know how many regions there are in total?

EDIT: Okay, I don't know how many regions there are, but there are 20 main missions. So, I'm like a quarter of the way into the main story and barely into the full content if you include side stuff. Either way, definitely not at the midpoint.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 8, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Are you sure about that? The game only says heavy armor (or more specifically, the toughness stat) decreases the ki you lose when you get hit, not when you block. The stat that governs how much ki it takes to block is called Parry and weapon specific (dual katanas have very good parry I think). Toughness should also give you poise but it doesn't say that anymore (it used to in the beta). Break is the opposite stat - that determines how good your weapon is at breaking through poise.

I'm pretty sure about that. It has more to do with your equip weight, really. At low (blue) equip weight, you take a ton of Ki damage when you get hit and when you block, in my experience. But the higher your tier of equip weight goes, the less Ki damage you take when you get hit and when you block. Toughness is a stat that is specific to armor and not tied to your equip weight, so I should probably be more specific when I talk about what different armor weights do--what I mean is that's what different tiers of equip weight do.

I think Parry lets you take less Ki damage on block independent of your equip weight, but equip weight also does that. I'll test when I get home, though, because this is information from the beta and who knows if it's still accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Is there any place to buy/farm Himorogi Branches?