Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

there wolf lmao posted:

If I were to create a new game later would my pre-order bonus items be available for use in that game too?

I tested it and yes you can redeem them with a new character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Does anybody know when exactly you get access to the additional combat skills? I've been locked out of more combo poo poo forever, and it's stuff I used in the demo and I sorely miss those moves.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Trudis posted:

Does anybody know when exactly you get access to the additional combat skills? I've been locked out of more combo poo poo forever, and it's stuff I used in the demo and I sorely miss those moves.

As far as I can tell, they're unlocked by doing the dojo missions.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

If you're doing a Ninjutsu build make sure you farm the set that drops from the adept ninja training mission. Every part of the set bonus is just insane.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Pro Tip: fight lots Revenants when you have an AI companion because holy lol they're easy. Thanks for the free set equipment!

can you summon them like in souls somehow, or are they mission specific?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i havent made it out of the first real zone yet but this game is great

i'm glad soulz is a genre now

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Man, the sidequest boss you fight in the tall grass at the end of the first "zone" is a serious mother fucker. The quest says its level 27 but I'm not sure I believe that for a second, I got him down after about 30 tries at level 30. He's so goddamn fast and hits so hard. I'd be having a good run, stagger him a couple of times, then wham he does his buff and a crazy fast dash attack and I'm dead out of nowhere.

The combat in this game is truly exceptional, but I'm starting to find some of the other stuff lacking. Not enough to cause me to dislike the game (I'm still addicted), but it doesn't have the enemy design or variety, map design or atmosphere/story that any of the Dark Souls games have. The plot is truly laughable, with some of the worst translation/writing I've ever seen. We must use awkwardly use AMRITA in every sentence! What is a pronoun!

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 8, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Does "Yokai Realm with a Companion" require that both players have already completed the mission, or just one? If it's just one, then yeah, scratch everything I said.

Yes and it sucks.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
That's game writing for you. Remember blood being spoken or written in Bloodborne? Blood blood blood blood blood blood blood blood.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes and it sucks.

Yes it requires both, or yes it requires one?

Either way it's dumb but that changes my opinion on which kind of dumb.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

So buying the ki pulse dodge shares it across all weapons. I was not wanting to drop 5 points for the high stance. But it's worth it.

It seems like the game is throwing samurai points at me like crazy. Will that slow down? Cause I'm being pretty liberal with them and I dont know if I should bank some for later.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SamuraiPaul posted:

As it stands I either need to blow through the game and try to beat a bunch of levels before my friend gets on today or I'll just wait and see if Team Ninja has some benevolence.

What my buddy and I are doing is, we race a level. One of us beats the boss first, and then the other person just summons him to fight the boss after.

The beginning of levels isn't too bad, and you can warp right to the last bonfire when you get summoned so you don't have to run back to put your sign down like souls or anything.

But its lame we can't just co-op through the levels period.

Harrow posted:

Yes it requires both, or yes it requires one?

Either way it's dumb but that changes my opinion on which kind of dumb.

Yes it requires both, that's what you were asking. Co-op yokai realm with companion requires both. Its dumb.

Phantom only requires the phantom to have beaten it at least. Party mode requires both.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Davincie posted:

can you summon them like in souls somehow, or are they mission specific?

They're just wherever people have died so you see a bunch around tough encounters usually.

NOTE: finishing a mission's quest objective will lock you out from doing anything other than picking up stuff on the ground until you leave.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

So buying the ki pulse dodge shares it across all weapons. I was not wanting to drop 5 points for the high stance. But it's worth it.

It seems like the game is throwing samurai points at me like crazy. Will that slow down? Cause I'm being pretty liberal with them and I dont know if I should bank some for later.

You can respec them if you reach the late-game and suddenly don't have enough to unlock endgame skills. I'd suggest not spreading them out across more than two weapons, but that's about it.

I'm pretty sure that using different weapon types also nets you samurai skill points faster than sticking with one. Have you noticed those "you've earned a samurai skill point from proficiency with X weapon" messages? I think those progress by weapon type, so spending some time using a weapon type you don't use much can net you a few points.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Trudis posted:

Do the Dojo missions, like I posted a page ago or so. You have to do the dojo tutorial missions.

Basically you get one each time you move to a new region.

It shouldn't really take long. Just do the main story missions.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i keep hitting r1 to attack instead of square ffs

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

Man, the sidequest boss you fight in the tall grass at the end of the first "zone" is a serious mother fucker. The quest says its level 27 but I'm not sure I believe that for a second, I got him down after about 30 tries at level 30. He's so goddamn fast and hits so hard. I'd be having a good run, stagger him a couple of times, then wham he does his buff and a crazy fast dash attack and I'm dead out of nowhere.

The combat in this game is truly exceptional, but I'm starting to find some of the other stuff lacking. Not enough to cause me to dislike the game (I'm still addicted), but it doesn't have the enemy design or variety, map design or atmosphere/story that any of the Dark Souls games have. The plot is truly laughable, with some of the worst translation/writing I've ever seen. We must use awkwardly use AMRITA in every sentence! What is a pronoun!

He was in the beta so most of us already practiced on him :)

He's a bastard but if you learn to dodge his Iajitsu strike he's not bad at all. That move just has toooons of range so its hard to dodge properly, its too easy to dodge too early. Use your living weapon and burn him down.

And horseshit it doesn't have level variety. What are you on the 3rd level? Dude, you're still on the first region. Keep playing. There is loving tons of level variety.

If this was dark souls, you're judging the entire game based on Undead Asylum. That's not fair.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

You get a samurai point any time you level up any physical skill (body, heart, dex, skill, etc.) AND you get multiple for each samurai hair lock AND you earn them for just using melee weapons occasionally.

So yeah, the game just throws them at you. But its also balanced for that way, as you go the skills get more and more expensive to unlock. So... yeah.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

i keep hitting r1 to attack instead of square ffs

I think there's a control scheme you can choose that puts your light and strong attacks on R1/R2, if you don't feel like adjusting.

Zaphod42 posted:

You get a samurai point any time you level up any physical skill (body, heart, dex, skill, etc.)

That's not true--it's just at specific break points. You often get one, but not every single time.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Harrow posted:

I think there's a control scheme you can choose that puts your light and strong attacks on R1/R2, if you don't feel like adjusting.

Yes is very nice if only it switched X and O so I properly dodge.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calidus posted:

Yes is very nice if only it switched X and O so I properly dodge.

Doesn't the PS4 let you remap what buttons do on a per-game basis? You could just swap X and O for Nioh and just get used to the button prompts on menus being opposite.

I haven't played a Souls game in a while so dodging with X and attacking with square and triangle are fine for me, but when I played the first demo I was coming right off Bloodborne and adjusting was a nightmare.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

That's game writing for you. Remember blood being spoken or written in Bloodborne? Blood blood blood blood blood blood blood blood.

Eyes. Eyyyyyeeeeeeessaaaaa

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

They're just wherever people have died so you see a bunch around tough encounters usually.

NOTE: finishing a mission's quest objective will lock you out from doing anything other than picking up stuff on the ground until you leave.

nah man, i mean friendly npc summons, not the revenants. killed plenty of those (every red name i come across for one)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Davincie posted:

nah man, i mean friendly npc summons, not the revenants. killed plenty of those (every red name i come across for one)

I think they're mission-specific.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Zaphod42 posted:

He was in the beta so most of us already practiced on him :)

He's a bastard but if you learn to dodge his Iajitsu strike he's not bad at all. That move just has toooons of range so its hard to dodge properly, its too easy to dodge too early. Use your living weapon and burn him down.

And horseshit it doesn't have level variety. What are you on the 3rd level? Dude, you're still on the first region. Keep playing. There is loving tons of level variety.

If this was dark souls, you're judging the entire game based on Undead Asylum. That's not fair.

I didn't say level variety, I said map design. I referenced variety with respect to the enemies.

But you are correct, I'm not super deep into the game. However, I am on the second zone and again I'm seeing the same enemies and the same "oh hey there's a door right here that you can't quite open yet wonder what happens later," regardless of whether its in a mine or a cave or a town.

I'm being a bit pedantic but my point is that so far, regardless of what the different levels actually look like, they all feel the same.

Edit: I didn't have living weapon for the fight, I think it was at 0 at the start and you can't build it up enough during the fight unless I'm missing something. That made it a lot harder, with the damage output from that it would have been a faster fight with less chances to gently caress up.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 8, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, it's more like judging Dark Souls based on the Undead Burg and Parish, which... actually that's a terrible example because that'd probably give you a better opinion of Dark Souls level design than the whole game will because you haven't seen dragon rear end hell or "we ran out of ideas so have a really dark level with some big skeletons I guess" yet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

When does magic become available? Seems a bit silly I can level it but not use it

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jose posted:

When does magic become available? Seems a bit silly I can level it but not use it

Almost immediately? Once you put your first point in the magic stat (aka, raise it to 6) you gain a couple of skill points you can only burn in the magic tab of the skills tree. I had the fire weapon enchant before I made it to the second shrine after the prologue.

Just go to the learn skills menu and tab past all the weapons. Ninjitsu has it's own tab using it's own unique skill points, and Magic has it's own tab using it's own unique skill points.

Once you learn it, you have to set it at a shrine and from there you can add it to your item shortcuts.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 8, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Once you've learned an active spell you gotta ready it and assign it a d-pad button. It's in the Shrine under "Ready Jutsu". The Mystical Art for it sounds insane by the way - instant self-casts and sped-up enemy-casts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

Check out the skills menu. You can learn magic by spending onmyo magic skill points in that tree, then assign magic to the d-pad at a shrine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OK. Feel like maybe the tutorial should have shown me

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I think the tutorial you can do after you beat the first main boss in the boat touches on it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

You'll get a magic/ninjutsu tutorial after the first real mission, separate from that initial "here's what the controls do" tutorial. But magic and ninjutsu are available to you right away if you poke around the Skills menu.

Make sure your expectations for magic are in line, though. Neither magic nor ninjutsu are viable as a main source of damage. Think of magic like miracles in Dark Souls (mostly self-buffs, weapon buffs, and enemy debuffs) and ninjutsu like pyromancy (powerful, but limited enough in uses that it can't be your main damage source on every fight). Magic is very good because it lets you stack elemental status effects on enemies, which do things like damage over time, reducing Ki regeneration, and making them take extra damage, and if you stack two separate elemental debuffs on an enemy, they get a third "Discord" debuff that causes them to take massively increased damage and nukes their Ki regen.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 8, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Does this game have multiple save slots? I haven't actually quit out of the game yet because I've just been using the PS4 suspend/resume feature, but I'd be curious to know because I kind of want to start and alt playthrough working with a heavy Dex Ninjutsu build.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What's the levelling like? Can I go deep into axes magic and ninjutsu?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

I didn't say level variety, I said map design. I referenced variety with respect to the enemies.

But you are correct, I'm not super deep into the game. However, I am on the second zone and again I'm seeing the same enemies and the same "oh hey there's a door right here that you can't quite open yet wonder what happens later," regardless of whether its in a mine or a cave or a town.

I'm being a bit pedantic but my point is that so far, regardless of what the different levels actually look like, they all feel the same.

Edit: I didn't have living weapon for the fight, I think it was at 0 at the start and you can't build it up enough during the fight unless I'm missing something. That made it a lot harder, with the damage output from that it would have been a faster fight with less chances to gently caress up.

Like dark souls doesn't have tons of obviously locked shortcut doors? I don't get that. That's literally a staple of souls levels. Locked doors and ladders are like, everywhere.

And yeah, you're right, you don't have living weapon for that fight, only the first time against him. That makes it harder for sure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Dude there's literally a tutorial that makes you purchase a magic skill

You can't blame the game for this

Jose posted:

Yeah feel free to go nuts. There's lots of overlap so you can do axes and ninjitsu or swords and magic or really any 2 or 3 things really well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

Probably. Soft/hard caps aren't known yet--the game actually obfuscates those pretty well because how much you get per stat point sort of ebbs and flows, rather than being relatively steady and then dropping off at a certain cap--so nobody can really say "you won't have enough points to cap all those." That said, you'll have enough points to be effective in all of those, and if you level ninjutsu with the Dexterity stat, you'll also be able to get great scaling from kusarigama, which are fantastic at applying elemental debuffs because they hit so quickly.

The stats you're going to increase for axes (Strength and Stamina) will also help you meet the requirements for heavy armor, so that's helpful if you want to go in that direction. You can safely ignore Body and Heart with a build like that, too--yes, Body increases Life the most and Heart increases Ki, but Strength and Stamina also increase Life, and you can get by with base (or nearly base) Ki just by learning to Ki pulse.

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude there's literally a tutorial that makes you purchase a magic skill

You can't blame the game for this

Calm down, he's early on and has only encountered that first "here's what the controls do" tutorial. He's at a point where he can start to use magic but the tutorial that teaches you how to learn and equip it isn't until after the mission he's on. It's not unreasonable not to know that yet.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Note that you are never forced to go into a boss with no living weapon. There's both a consumable to get the spirit back from your grave with your amrita intact (I wanna say it's Summoner's Candle?) and a shrine option to call the spirit back but lose your amrita. Either way if you think you need your living weapon for a boss but you already died in the boss room, you are not screwed (or forced to suicide outside the boss room).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

And as far as I can tell, there's nothing to spend amrita on other than leveling, so don't feel like you need to hoard it to buy items later--that's what your coins are for. If you have enough to level, just use it, because that's less amrita you're carrying around, and if you go into a boss with a small amount of amrita, it's not a big deal to just call your spirit back from the shrine to let you rebuild your living weapon before going in.