Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought E3 was already public for a long time then they made it games industry people only a few years back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I think people (like me) do that just because, with games like these, it's easy for players to get turned off of something they might otherwise enjoy because they didn't learn a couple key mechanics. So people who like them want to make sure nobody misses things like that so everyone has the best chance possible to enjoy it.

I didn't realize I was being annoying and turning people off, though, so I'll try to stop.

It's just that a big part of games like this is learning and exploring so by evangelizing too hard you may take that experience away from somebody

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

It's just that a big part of games like this is learning and exploring so by evangelizing too hard you may take that experience away from somebody

Yeah, that's true. I've seen enough people get turned off of Nioh already because they try to play it like Dark Souls and get frustrated when that doesn't work, and assume it isn't for them, so I want to make sure people know what they're actually in for and what the major differences are. Or, like Bicyclops and Bloodborne, where they were initially turned off because people weren't helpful enough and learning things on their own was just leading to getting punched in the face over and over, which wasn't fun.

But I know other people are different and actually want to learn on their own and get punched in the face until they get it, so I'll try to just shut up unless someone asks for specific help.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought E3 was already public for a long time then they made it games industry people only a few years back

You're right, and there was a big panic that E3 was dead

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bill bill bill bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-_HKOcYBK8

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm brainstorming ideas of parenting books for gamers

Player Three Press Start

Min/Maxing Your Baby's Stats

You Must Gather Your Party: Social Primer On Child Raising Etiquette

Alistair to Zeromus: The Gamer's Book of Baby Names

What Should I Know Before I Play Peek-a-boo?

Feeding Macros, Remote Distractions, and 99 Other Ways to Get Game Time While Raising a Child

DIY Anime Crib Hacks

I might become a father this year. Ultrasound on Valentine's Day.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 8, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:hellyeah:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Princess Maker teaches gamers all they need to know about parenting.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Ekster posted:

Except how to dress them.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

That's what Dark Souls is for.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ekster posted:

Uh maybe go with Long Live the Queen instead

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

Please consider signing this petition, help out those most affected by today's political climate.

It's part published by Sony so good luck with that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

It's part published by Sony so good luck with that.

So was Helldivers though, and probably others.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Why are people paying 60 dollars for games when the Amazon/Steam pre-order discounts bring it down to around 48 in almost all cases

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordja posted:

So was Helldivers though, and probably others.

Yeah, Nioh probably has a slightly better chance than Bloodborne (which was co-developed by Sony, not just co-published by them), but I'm still a little skeptical it'll happen.

Then again, I never thought Dragon's Dogma would come to PC, so :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why are people paying 60 dollars for games when the Amazon/Steam pre-order discounts bring it down to around 48 in almost all cases

Not everyone has Prime, not everyone lives in America, not everyone plays games on PC.

Not everyone pre-orders games. :ssh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh my god world of final fantasy is far too drat cute

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah prime is like 100 bucks a year or something so you need to be buying a lot of games to make that discount work for you

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Yeah prime is like 100 bucks a year or something so you need to be buying a lot of games to make that discount work for you

I mean I'd make that back in like a month of games buying but my Prime discount is £2 off games, wooo.....

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

From what I gather Canadians love preordering games because it is cheaper than on release as well

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tell me more about this smart and money-saving action called "pre-order".

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Pre-order discounts are incredibly dangerous, yet seductive.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

From what I gather Canadians love preordering games because it is cheaper than on release as well

Wut.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just don't preorder western games and you'll be fine

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Just don't preorder western games and you'll be fine

Looks like I'm safe

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I didn't expect to find Japan apologists on a video game forum

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't understand it either, but I see posts in the PS4 thread where people are pre-ordering 5 or 6 games at the same time, many months in advance, and when people ask why they're doing that, they tell people they're Canadian

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Canadian Gamestop? EB? Amazon? does a promotion where all E3 games are cheap to pre-order for a while after the show so they go nuts I guess, even if they might not be out for three years.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't understand it either, but I see posts in the PS4 thread where people are pre-ordering 5 or 6 games at the same time, many months in advance, and when people ask why they're doing that, they tell people they're Canadian

Cool

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Canadians are paid only in coinage so if they don't spend it soon it becomes hard to carry around.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Having a playable demo that I enjoy makes me more likely to preorder a game. I wish there had been a demo for No Man's Sky.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't ever use the Amazon discounts because I have a rolling line of credit at a store that sells new games and also takes all the junk I've accumulated over the years so the only things I actually pay money for gaming related is stuff you have to preorder online or not get period.

Got $190 worth of stuff sold yesterday, rolled that into all the games that came out last month I missed +Nioh, then took my old New 3DS to Gamestop to get trade in credit for that that I rolled into preorders for Switch games, still up $300 credit at local game store and $20 at GS.

Also found out Gamestop doesn't let you trade in 3DS systems without a charger (even if they don't come with a charger in the first place anymore) so they made me pay $10 in credit just to trade it in, lol. (But then got an extra $30 because they've been hard to find I guess?)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

MMF Freeway posted:

Canadians are paid only in coinage so if they don't spend it soon it becomes hard to carry around.

You can't fool me, I'm familiar with Canadians and their habits. Although it is difficult to go about your business with a billfold bursting with these guys

Strip clubs in the great white north are a nightmare with all the feathers and squawking, and when you try and break a ten or twenty they give you change in the form of loons duct taped into pairs. It's a crazy country but god bless them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

When I was in Canada, in restaurants they could swipe your card at the table and servers also were able to make change for cash payments right then and there. It was like living in an alternate, better universe

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The E3 discounts weren't huge last year for Canadians. I have Amazon Prime Student and only pay 50$, and now get their streaming, and 20% off all pre-orders, and free shipping; so it's a stupid good deal until Amazon finds a way to gently caress it all up. Which they did when Gravity Rush 2 came out and were like "lol, we didn't get any copies"

I bought it at work and still got a discount but not as much as Amazon would have given me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When I was in Canada, in restaurants they could swipe your card at the table and servers also were able to make change for cash payments right then and there. It was like living in an alternate, better universe

This isn't a thing in the states?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Video game purchases are subsidized by the government, and it's been that way since at least World War 2. It and maybe universal healthcare are just about the only things all four major political parties can agree on.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

lmao

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the united states hasn't been on the cutting edge of poo poo for a while now, please don't assume we have anything

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

You spend an extra ten minutes waiting around so they can go back and swipe your card lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Black Stones posted:

They only just recently started using chip & pin.

• Locked thread