Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Seltzerberg (Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer) are back in Star Wars form:

quote:

Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, the duo known for the parody films including the Scary Movie franchise, Epic Movie and Vampires Suck, will next take on the iconic Star Wars franchise with their latest film Star Worlds Episode XXXIVE=MC2: The Force Awakens The Last Jedi Who Went Rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tars Tarkas posted:

A movie is coming direct to video that features Ice T as a vampire bootlegger in the 1920s, that alone sounds awesome and then they went and released this ridiculous poster!

Sold.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tars Tarkas posted:

Absolutely disgusting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

Uh, sure, Sony bought a film studio in 1989 solely to monopolize high definition home video formats seventeen years later.

This is hilarious because the original home video format war, Betamax vs. VHS, happened 15 years before that. Sony developed Betamax.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Tars Tarkas posted:

A movie is coming direct to video that features Ice T as a vampire bootlegger in the 1920s, that alone sounds awesome and then they went and released this ridiculous poster!

This looks like 90% of the covers in the self-published books thread.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Tars Tarkas posted:

This will be fun to watch on El Rey in 18 months.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is hilarious because the original home video format war, Betamax vs. VHS, happened 15 years before that. Sony developed Betamax.

In a way Sony won that war because Beta was used as a regular part of broadcasting for longer than VHS ended up being around.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

Admittedly it is fun throwing it out there to shut up dumb hippies.

Lol yeah you sure showed them, being insufferable to the point of parody

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Coaaab posted:

I'll be honest, half the movie felt like a slog, and you could've easily cut 40 minutes from it. No way they'll manage to top the two magnificent scenes that cap the picture, though.

I never felt that it was a slog, I thought a lot of that was vital to the main character's arc and in that sense I think Wiig is a bit miscast because now people will expect her to be funny and it would diminish the impact of those two scenes (both of which were applauded at my screening). She does the more dramatic stuff fine in something like Bridesmaids but it would have been better to cast someone who wasn't known for comedy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

In a way Sony won that war because Beta was used as a regular part of broadcasting for longer than VHS ended up being around.

That's true, TV stations were using it until the late 90s at least.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

You could, no poo poo, buy a Betamax cassette in Japan in certain electronics stores until March of last year. And I know that a lot of news shows basically have stuff up through the mid-00s on Beta at the very least as an archival copy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Japan's weird, they were all in on the Minidisc, weren't they? And I had no clue Beta had stuck around that long.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Japan's weird, they were all in on the Minidisc, weren't they? And I had no clue Beta had stuck around that long.

haha minidiscs, I had one of those.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

They still use fax machines and those old paper credit card copiers.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Japan is all in on Sony, basically.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Cacator posted:

I never felt that it was a slog, I thought a lot of that was vital to the main character's arc and in that sense I think Wiig is a bit miscast because now people will expect her to be funny and it would diminish the impact of those two scenes (both of which were applauded at my screening). She does the more dramatic stuff fine in something like Bridesmaids but it would have been better to cast someone who wasn't known for comedy.
I don't know how that role's gonna change with the remake, Hüller's embodiment of Ines as a woman carrying herself in a serious professional demeanor, fairly uptight and hardened, who wants to strip herself of her sexuality to succeed in her career and then those scenes happen, I'm not going to able to shake that interpretation of the character so easily.

A Hollywood remake of Erdmann comes off as a bit funny to me as the thing that shocked me most about the film was that about 30% of the dialogue was in English.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

Holy poo poo, it's like looking into a time portal back to the 90s/early 00s. It's beautiful :allears:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Until late 2000's, when the FCC mandated the switch to digital.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

DC Murderverse posted:

Also because Jack Nicholson hasn't been good in a movie for over a decade.

:ohdear:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Schwarzwald posted:

Until late 2000's, when the FCC mandated the switch to digital.

That's a hell of a run.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

Ice T looks upset about something. Maybe his bootlegging isn't going so well?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

LucyWanabe posted:

Ice T looks upset about something. Maybe his bootlegging isn't going so well?

Not enough boot for his legs, and too much blood in his runs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cacator posted:

They still use fax machines and those old paper credit card copiers.

That's because Japan is pretty much anti-credit card due to some really terrible banking laws. The Japanese banking system is essentially stuck in the 19th century with everything that implies.

Well, no debtor's prisons. But they will prevent their employees from adding extra coal to the fires warming their offices!

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 8, 2017

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tars Tarkas posted:

I know that, like, parody is allowed and poo poo, but I feel like Disney might have something to say about this title.

Also, please send Seltzerberg one million home video copies of Spaceballs, and rub their faces in them until they accept that they will never be able to make anything remotely comparable

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

21 Muns posted:

I know that, like, parody is allowed and poo poo, but I feel like Disney might have something to say about this title.

Also, please send Seltzerberg one million home video copies of Spaceballs, and rub their faces in them until they accept that they will never be able to make anything remotely comparable

Spaceballs is pretty bad imo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

21 Muns posted:

"Send them" means "fire them from a t-shirt cannon at their dumb loving heads"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

It's still loving miles better than any of the Seltzer/Friedberg movies.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Every scene with Rick Moranis is still gold.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The only thing bad about Spaceballs is the animated series they did on G4 a decade ago.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's still loving miles better than any of the Seltzer/Friedberg movies.

I don't get why they aren't straight to dvd.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I don't get why they aren't straight to dvd.

I think the last one was, and I guess I erroneously thought that would be the last we heard of them.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm still not 100% convinced they exist. Last time this came up, there were two photos of one of them in the entire history of existence.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I loved Spy Hard. Haven't seen it in fifteen years so I can't say if it holds up or not, but it does have Andy Griffith as a double amputee Bond villain.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I loved Spy Hard. Haven't seen it in fifteen years so I can't say if it holds up or not, but it does have Andy Griffith as a double amputee Bond villain.
It's at least as funny as the Naked Gun movies. The only spoof of that era that I've seen that is completely without merit is Jane Austen's Mafia!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only funny part of Spy Hard is the titles.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You are correct, though since it was Mel Brooks he fit in several really good bits that almost save the film even if 80% of it sucked (or blew).

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Spaceballs is good.

CelticPredator posted:

The only funny part of Spy Hard is the titles.

I liked that when Andy Griffith died, at least one news show I watched used clips from Spy Hard instead of the Andy Griffith Show or Matlock when they gave his obituary. Good times.

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 9, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When I was 12 the Naked Gun and Police Squad episodes were the funniest poo poo I'd seen in my life.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tars Tarkas posted:

It's apparently been 7 years since they had a theatrical release. That was the much maligned 'Vampires Suck' (bad Twilight spoof). Since then they have done a Hunger Games spoof, a Fast and the Furious spoof, and some movie that I'm assuming references Bridesmaids and party movies.

At one point they were supposed to be doing that movie that was a parody of blockbusters like Avatar but it seems to have completely disappeared?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

kiimo posted:

When I was 12 the Naked Gun and Police Squad episodes were the funniest poo poo I'd seen in my life.

They're still goddamned hilarious.

• Locked thread