Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Rad Russian posted:

The need an open alpha and player testing to understand basic math.

Items of medium complexity, such as a patcher that works, require 7 years development time.

CIG.

The Delta patching system where you're not downloading gigabytes of data now has an internal build being tested. It's still in the early stages of testing and tweaking, but once it's ready, they'll deploy it internally as it affects them as much as it affects us, and once they're happy with it they'll deliver it out to us. No ETA on it at this time.

INN News Network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Read something else you nerds

:arghfist::thermidor:

THERMIDOR

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Xaerael posted:

I started reading Gremlich's posts in Torgo's voice.

They start to make sense that way.

tHe MASTER wOulD NOT aPPrOvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__0C1lxp1Q4

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sometimes, after a hard night of playing STAR CITIZEN, I like to go outside with my co-pilot and enjoy the real world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlEfCUIAfc4

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Lethality not being able to watch the Super Bowl is pretty funny imo

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

THERMIDOR

I was delighted to make it to the OP's ignore list!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sillybones posted:

What I am really imagining is not the planets, but say the space stations with the massive rotating rings. As these get to extreme distances, isn't the rotation compared to the station (and probably the accumulated transform hierarchy) going to be too imprecise and bring in rendering artifacts like jittering and wrong offsets? Are there detailed things that massive in this game?
For starters, let me correct a figure I quoted incorrectly: I said the reasonable size limit (defined as the size for which you keep, say, millimeter centimeter precision) for 32 bits was 13 kilometers but after checking it's actually 131km, and that's the radius. You can fit Long Island in that, with room to spare, or death stars (yeah, the ROTJ version too). SC's stations are aircraft carrier big, not Long Island big. As a point of reference the biggest Elite Dangerous stations have rings 4km in radius. So yeah, all that 64 bit stuff matters for planets and positions of objects in space, but not for any object SC has shown so far.

his nibs posted:

What does this mean for Star Citizen?
Just means what they say sorta makes technical sense, but that can just mean they've got the same programming books as me.

Chev fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 8, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

THERMIDOR

Thermidor thread(s) are both cool and good confirmed.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nicholas posted:

how do you make a mistake this obvious?

what programmer wouldnt think that they should be comparing the team wins?

Let me correct your dumb example

code:
double ROUND_NUMBER, ROUND_RESULT; //64-bit prec adjustment
for (ROUND_NUMBER < 3) { //skip if rounds done
  ROUND_RESULT += next_round(ROUND_NUMBER); //
  if {ROUND_RESULT < 1) or (ROUND_RESULT > 1) { //loss=0 win=2 tie=1
    ROUND_NUMBER =+ 1}; 
  }
}

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Quavers posted:

Seeing as it's 8th February here...

Happy Two Year Anniversary Everyone!!

:toot: :derp: :toot:

Ah, the fond memories:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1GUDQuFb1A&t=5520s

is everyone enjoying the anniversary celebrations?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Chev posted:

For starters, let me correct a figure I quoted incorrectly: I said the reasonable size limit (defined as the size for which you keep, say, millimeter precision) for 32 bits was 13 kilometers but after checking it's actually 131km, and that's the radius.
Floats are 32 bits but they only have 24 bits of precision. That's only a ~17km radius right?.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

What the gently caress does mega map mean?

It's mega good :colbert:

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spatial posted:

Floats are 32 bits but they only have 24 bits of precision. That's only a ~17km radius right?.
I'm going by the reference book on the matter and they've done the math, but you're right in that after checking, the criterion is centimeter precision, not millimeter precision.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sandweed posted:

I was considering getting a vaper before I quit smoking, but then I read up on the shady stuff vape companies are doing, watched youtubes of batteries exploding and then realizing that instead of getting a robot to smoke for me I might as well quit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS8LsPv1_uM

Lhistenhing to that ghuy mhade me whant to phunch a khitten

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
So according to the patch notes, the Mega Map is basically just a marketing buzzword that doesn't mean poo poo?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

lol

quote:

Pilot facial idle animations have been added for all ship variants!

lol

efb

Chin posted:

Searched page for "added". Nine results. Only thing that was an actual addition and not just tweaking or bullshit was "Pilot facial idle animations have been added for all ship variants!" Exciting!

But if the player is controlling the character that's controlling the ship, why would pilot facial idle animations have to be added to ships separately??
Seriously. Citizens, get a refund!

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 8, 2017

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

heh. I'm not even making noise about LoD anymore. The game will speak for itself. Only matter of time now. :grin:

It's spoken already; didn't say much :negative:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I have it on good authority that Mega Map will be using the same technology as parallel universes in Mario 64.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Tippis posted:

Most likely because the player is still the ship, and the ship therefore has to be wired up to control those animations because :cig:

The exact opposite of what it says on the tin, funnily enough.

Conceptually, it means you don't have “maps” or “levels” in the traditional sense and that you need a very tiny space to present the entire universe to the player. Rather, you have the player be the centre of their subjective universe, and load and unload assets and environments on the fly around them as new things come into view or pass outside of useful rendering distance. If you push the idea to its limit, you have a situation where the player never actually moves — the world does, kind of similar to how older Gamebryo games created moving platforms by having the platform sit still, and instead translate the entire rest of the map.

The server would have to keep track of the position of the player in the overall universe, and then basically send a bunch of different reference spaces and base transforms to the client so it can calculate where everything goes as other objects move around the world while the world move around the player. Conveniently enough, this would largely remove the need for stuff like local physics grid (because the player is only ever in a fixed frame of reference) and 64bit positioning (at least clientside, because nothing far off will ever need more precision anyway). “All” you'd have are tons and tons of matrix operations and nested frames of references to keep track of for each interactive object.

To ease up on the idea, you could just keep entire frames of references static, rather than just the player, and have the player report back how they move around that confided space, which would make it work more like a classic SP game, and then just have your subjective position reset every time you pass from one frame to another. This would be a trade between performance and suddenly having to section off space in a clever way again.

I don't think you understand game development!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

D_Smart posted:

heh. I'm not even making noise about LoD anymore. The game will speak for itself. Only matter of time now. :grin:

2 weeks amiright?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Because the pilot model is baked into the ship model once the commando seats himself :allears:

it's why they can't add a female commando, they'd have to make two versions of all the ships

wut? R U kidding me?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

It's spoken already; didn't say much :negative:

Never leave :v

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

DapperDon posted:

wut? R U kidding me?

Nyope. They never said it for certain, but all proof point to that being the way it operate.

The classic bugs of your character hanging in space with its hand and feet weirdly turning is the game applying ship model instruction on your character model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1oFvxUoeI&t=50s

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hav posted:

Mandatory mention of the efficacy of Chantix. Also warning about the sheer batshit insanity of the dreams it creates. Seriously, poo poo works, it's just a rollercoaster.

The desire for a cigarette never entirely goes away, though. But Chantix is quite the aversion therapy too.

Chantix did real bad things to my head, and not just dreams. Wellbutrin worked a wonder for me, but I no longer work for a neurologist that would hook me up with a free supply...

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Quavers posted:

https://ptu.cloudimperiumgames.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/star-citizen-alpha-2-6-1

:toot:

Welcome to 2.6.1!

• The jerk levels of ships should now better scale with boost.
  • The toilet can now be accessed.
I suppose they know their customer base pretty well at this point.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

boviscopophobic posted:

Why do pilot facial animations depend on the ship?

Not all the ships have toilet access.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Now that 2.6.1 it's out does that mean Star Citizen will be released soon?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

DapperDon posted:

2 weeks amiright?

Sprinting through that last mile.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

starkebn posted:

LOL .. nope.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Did you sell that Javelin or are you stuck with it?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

AP posted:

Did you sell that Javelin or are you stuck with it?

"Stuck."

It's worth more now than what I paid for it. Stuck is not the right term.

But, to your real question: Yes. I still have it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

THERMIDOR

this is great

thermidor!

edit:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nawledgelambo posted:

alas, we cannot, as star citizen has transcended the Windows OS into its own, called Robertsware

Is Robertsware really just a reskinned ripoff of Microsoft Bob?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

starkebn posted:

Always spreading FUD, goonie.

We all know SC will never be fully released: CR will keep improving and expanding on it, until we fuse mind and matter together, parping in eternal bliss.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Why haven't beer mod challenged moma to make a 10 min video of exiting SC game play?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

ManofManyAliases posted:

It's worth more now than what I paid for it.

It's not "worth" anything until you actually successfully offload it

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

They should put the parp horn in the game.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

"Stuck."

It's worth more now than what I paid for it. Stuck is not the right term.

But, to your real question: Yes. I still have it.

You should maybe not think of ships as having "worth",

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/829395372246257671
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/829395719912034304
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/829414573446987776
https://twitter.com/syberghost/status/829415554033319943

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nicholas posted:

how do you make a mistake this obvious?

what programmer wouldnt think that they should be comparing the team wins?

Hypothesis: the exodus of people who know or care what they're doing has left CIG with "programmers" would would struggle to make a ZX Spectrum repeatedly print the word "HELLO" onscreen.