Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

eames posted:

First Ryzen price leaks?

https://www.techpowerup.com/230483/amds-ryzen-r7-8-core-16-thread-processor-prices-outed-for-europe

R7 1800X 8C/16T 4.0Ghz €599.99 (i7 6900K: 1109€) :stare:

R7 1700X 8C/16T 3.8GHz €439.99 (i7 7700K/6800K: 360/450€)

R7 1700 8C/16T 3.7GHz €389.95 (i7 7700: 330€)

This is incredibly reasonable, especially considering all the SKUs are multiplier unlocked, so you can turn that €390 chip into a €600 one (arguably a €1190 one if you go with Intel!) with a quick trip to BIOS-town.

If all of this is true, Intel should be worried. Now they need to make sure the chipsets don't suck in any way.

Edit: 4GHz base clock for an 8 core 16 thread chip at lower TDP than Intel's equivalent is just unreal. AMD might just have done it, the mad bastards. Intel will need to up their game. Hope AMD doesn't screw this up somehow

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Are the two lower ends more expensive than the Intel equivalent? That top one is a deal though! Going to wait on benchmarks but the prices are reasonable enough that I could see it being worth $50 to stick it to Intel. Actually taking into account motherboard it might be cheaper platform even if the CPU is more have to wait on pricing there too.

eames
May 9, 2009

pixaal posted:

Are the two lower ends more expensive than the Intel equivalent? That top one is a deal though! Going to wait on benchmarks but the prices are reasonable enough that I could see it being worth $50 to stick it to Intel. Actually taking into account motherboard it might be cheaper platform even if the CPU is more have to wait on pricing there too.

i7 7700s have 4 cores, 6800K has 6. Ryzen has 8. I'm really interested in reviews/benchmarks now.

Kaby Lake will probably still rule at single thread, particularly when overclocked, but I'm at the point where I'll gladly trade a good chunk of single thread performance to double the core count.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
These prices :prepop:

Now the question is how far do they OC

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If that is a true 8C at 4Ghz base at that price, and if it can take some blows at that 6900K then Intel really does have something to possibly worry about. Not in the highest of end due to the platform differences, but man does that make an appealing consumer level system that can potentially hit above its weight.

If they don't blow the launch, then we might have a good old CPU war back on our hands for once in the last 15 years.

Wait.... Also isn't R7 like AMDs "mid-high" level rating..... We still have R9 possibly in the works......

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 8, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

HalloKitty posted:

Edit: 4GHz base clock for an 8 core 16 thread chip at lower TDP than Intel's equivalent is just unreal. AMD might just have done it, the mad bastards. Intel will need to up their game. Hope AMD doesn't screw this up somehow

Yeah that's really quite something, I'm definitely gonna get one even though I don't need it badly.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
For a while AMD was really pumping their on-chip graphics solutions called APU. They were a solid bump up from Intels offerings, even on the lowest performance processors. Are the ryzen chips going to have solid graphics performance in the APU fashion? If I can get close to 1050 or 1050ti performance without having to power a graphics card then this will be a game changer.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The 8C/16T Rhyzens won't be APUs but the 4C ones should be. Probably won't get integrated graphics performance equal to a 1050 this generation, but it might be there next year.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i expect the real prices to be a little higher, but still 8c16t with the single core speed of a 5820k while costing the same would be :discourse:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

EdEddnEddy posted:

Wait.... Also isn't R7 like AMDs "mid-high" level rating..... We still have R9 possibly in the works......
if they haven't just dropped the r9/rx, maybe they'd be reserving that for an opteron socket ryzen? the lga20xx wars!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's R7/R5/R3 so that it matches up with i7/i5/i3, you people.

Risky Bisquick posted:

These prices :prepop:

Now the question is how far do they OC

010110100110010101101110010011110100001101000000010000010110100101110010001111010011010101000111 :salt:

eames posted:

First Ryzen price leaks?

https://www.techpowerup.com/230483/amds-ryzen-r7-8-core-16-thread-processor-prices-outed-for-europe

R7 1800X 8C/16T 4.0Ghz €599.99 (i7 6900K: 1109€) :stare:

R7 1700X 8C/16T 3.8GHz €439.99 (i7 7700K/6800K: 360/450€)

R7 1700 8C/16T 3.7GHz €389.95 (i7 7700: 330€)

Accounting for VAT, I worry that AMD is leaving money on the table still. That's about the lower bound of where those prices should be BEFORE VAT.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That actually makes sense, but it still leave the possibility of R9 on the table. ;)

Hell I had been waiting for Intel to release a i9 since 6/8 cores became a thing... One of these days maybe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's R7/R5/R3 so that it matches up with i7/i5/i3, you people.

What ever happened to “but ours goes to eleven. :smuggo:”?

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Supposedly that French website with the price leaks is France's equivalent to WCCF Tech. So, many grains of salt with that one.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Comatoast posted:

For a while AMD was really pumping their on-chip graphics solutions called APU. They were a solid bump up from Intels offerings, even on the lowest performance processors. Are the ryzen chips going to have solid graphics performance in the APU fashion? If I can get close to 1050 or 1050ti performance without having to power a graphics card then this will be a game changer.

From what I can tell the initial release will not have an iGPU (Summit Ridge). I am currently assuming that Raven Ridge (APU with Zen microarchitecture) should still retain a general advantage in iGPU performance, but it may not release in 1H.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I believe all Zen APUs are due 2H from some earlier statements

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Whatever they are doing, they are already too late with the Zen APUs.

They needed them launched NOW so they can be in back-to-school notebooks and poo poo seven months from now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

eames posted:

Intel is briefing associates on Ryzen.

Please be good!

Are these retail associates? These sorts of internal memos always seemed like they were infantilizing employees. I've always hated this kind of stuff when I worked retail. I can't imagine this would be received well if intel was sending this to its own engineers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

Oh god, could there be a time where even Intel has to spin off it's fabs? My understanding is that between Intel and AMD, it's only a contest because Intel has the planetary sized boat anchor known as fab expenses keeping it in check.

Intel plans $7 billion Fab 42 investment for 7-nm production

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Whatever they are doing, they are already too late with the Zen APUs.

They needed them launched NOW so they can be in back-to-school notebooks and poo poo seven months from now.

I don't think that market is all that important more. AMD has got to be concentrating everything on displacing E5 Xeons, that's where the money is.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Back-to-school isn't about profit, it's about mindshare, something that servers can't give you.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I'd Imagine that Intel's FAB's are probably one thing it isn't really faltering on. Sure all Fab's seem to run into some snags as improvements aren't easy, but Intel has plenty of other stupid decisions and other choices to blame for plenty of things than the fabs. (McAfee is a constant pain in, well everything.)

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
http://www.shopblt.com/search/order_id=%21ORDERID%21&s_max=25&t_all=1&s_all=AMD+AM4&search=Search

According to multiple people and multiple online shops, these are legit

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Well, if IPC is in the Sandy / Ivy bridge ballpark, consider me floored. That's a pretty big if though, now that we've seen pricing.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, if IPC is in the Sandy / Ivy bridge ballpark, consider me floored. That's a pretty big if though, now that we've seen pricing.

What if it is in the Haswell ballpark?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

What if it is in the Haswell ballpark?

:vince:

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
The current math and the public benchmarks they've done put Ryzen IPC slightly behind Skylake. AMD engineers publicly stated they'd beaten the original 40% improvement in IPC on the retail-bound chip steppings.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

:circlefap:

How is there no hype train emote in TYOOL 2017?

Fingers crossed Zen/Vega APUs can hit 1080p30/medium on AAA games for notebooks and give me benchmark jackoff material for years to come.

Probably won't happen, but daddy needs a taste of hope.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Because Dwight D. Goldenshower got elected and kind of killed it.

No, I'm not bitter at all. I'm certainly not under the weather because a man that wants me dead for three different reasons related to "I exist" just got confirmed as Attorney General of the We're So Goddam hosed of America at all.

That said, if you want 1080p/30 medium now, you can get that in several different flavors, for about $800, thanks to aggressively priced "gaming" notebooks with 1050 Tis in them.

Dell has one, http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop
HP has one, http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/omen-laptop---15t-x7r21av-1

I think Acer was showing one at CES, but I don't know if it has gone on sale yet.

edit: MSI has one now too.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 9, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
This does mean that the 6C/12T and 4C/8Ts are going to have insane pricing, the 6Cs directly competing with i7s and high end i5s, and the 4C/8Ts competing with i5s and high end i3s, likely leaving the 4C/4T cpus to battle it out at around 100$.

Holy gently caress that's a slaughter if IPC is close to Broadwell.

EDIT: Also please consider that AMD has a legit 65W 8C/16T SKU running at 3.7Ghz boost (I'm almost positive the speeds are representative of boost speeds)

Also Also this utterly murders the used CPU market.

Also Also Also The top end SKU is likely binned to hit the 4.4-4.6Ghz speeds Buildzoid was talking about, everything else will be hitting 4.2-4.3Ghz (according to him)

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 9, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fishmech meltdown confirmed???

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

FaustianQ posted:

This does mean that the 6C/12T and 4C/8Ts are going to have insane pricing, the 6Cs directly competing with i7s and high end i5s, and the 4C/8Ts competing with i5s and high end i3s, likely leaving the 4C/4T cpus to battle it out at around 100$.

Holy gently caress that's a slaughter if IPC is close to Broadwell.

There were rumors that the clocks on the 6c and 4c weren't doing that well compared to the 8c chips so we'll see.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

This entire page has just been ever-increasing levels of :gizz:

I genuinely cannot believe that I am this loving hyped for an AMD CPU.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

havenwaters posted:

There were rumors that the clocks on the 6c and 4c weren't doing that well compared to the 8c chips so we'll see.

I mean it's obviously key but based on hints previous it sounded more like an issue with achieving proper clocks under 65W, and may not be a real limitation for overclocking. It's apparently some hella aggressive binning resulting in this and 6C and 4C are just the really poor quality stuff regardless of actual number of functional cores. It also means that in the future as supply issues decrease they'll get better.

I am still blown the gently caress away that there is a 65W 3.7Ghz boost 8C/16T SKU, and it'll still be comparable to the 6900K.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Because Dwight D. Goldenshower got elected and kind of killed it.

No, I'm not bitter at all. I'm certainly not under the weather because a man that wants me dead for three different reasons related to "I exist" just got confirmed as Attorney General of the We're So Goddam hosed of America at all.

That said, if you want 1080p/30 medium now, you can get that in several different flavors, for about $800, thanks to aggressively priced "gaming" notebooks with 1050 Tis in them.

Dell has one, http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop
HP has one, http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/omen-laptop---15t-x7r21av-1

I think Acer was showing one at CES, but I don't know if it has gone on sale yet.

edit: MSI has one now too.

We are friends.

Also due to hype:

:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

This entire page has just been ever-increasing levels of :gizz:

I genuinely cannot believe that I am this loving hyped for an AMD CPU.
i bought a waste of money xeon i have to make last 5 years so i expect it to be about within 8% of haswell

honestly though? i might just sell this poo poo. goddamn.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Going to be so weird to go "LOL buying Intel TYOOL 2017".

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Everything we have seen so far would suggest broadwell ipc or close to it, now if amd could only do this for their gpu half.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wargames posted:

Everything we have seen so far would suggest broadwell ipc or close to it.
it's going to eat poo poo in floating point artificials (that nobody but HPC people actually use, and they prefer POWER over anything x86 by a long shot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Even loving Star Citizen if it ever comes out won't use floating point artificials, so yeah that'll stay POWER's realm.

I bet it'll eat 16 logical cores though.

(16 hyperthreads? 16 THREADRIPPERS? :black101:)

• Locked thread