Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I remember someone made a parodious YouTube account of Freidberg and Seltzer and everybody believed it was them because nobody knew what they looked like.

Their first 'real' duo movie, Date Movie, came out 11 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Tars Tarkas posted:

A movie is coming direct to video that features Ice T as a vampire bootlegger in the 1920s, that alone sounds awesome and then they went and released this ridiculous poster!

I liked Snoop Dogg in Bones so I will be seeing this.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay so John Wick 2 is running at about 97% tomato meter, I think it's time I watched the first one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

kiimo posted:

Okay so John Wick 2 is running at about 97% tomato meter, I think it's time I watched the first one.

The fact you haven't seen John Wick will set John Wick off.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One of the funniest thing about the first John Wick was dog lovers hating it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

kiimo posted:

John Wick is seriously one of the best action films of the decade (so far). It's just really well made and is one of those rare films that doesn't treat the audience like complete morons by over-explaining every single detail of the plot and world.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am so excited about John Wick 2. I hope he ends up in the future with Mad Dog and Jack Reacher helping Judge Dredd out while The Accountant is always on the scene adding up the cost of damage totals.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Which is weird, because any dog owner would agree that Wick has an perfectly normal reaction to his dog's murder.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I'm a dog owner and I loving loved John Wick. His reaction is just about proportionate to the offense.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

kiimo posted:

John Wick is not the action movie we deserve, but it's the one we need. It is dropped in somehow from a better Earth, from a reality where Hollywood action movies are good and clean and rad and powerful and Keanu Reeves is in his rightful place as an action star.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Keanu is very athletic and skilled. It's kind of refreshing to see a normal human physique amongst roided up actors pull off stunts.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like that the filmmakers literally sat down and decided exactly how many people it was justifiable to kill over a puppy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like that the filmmakers literally sat down and decided exactly how many people it was justifiable to kill over a puppy.

There's a limit?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

There's a limit?

Spoilers for John Wick: No

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There's a limit?

I think was more of a minimum.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

There's a limit?

For a point of reference, Dirty Harry in "Sudden Impact" takes out around 4-5 for them kicking his dog.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

John Wick's alright. Tone down your expectations, these folks set it too high.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
John Wick is good but it does the incredibly tacky TV move of having the first scene be a flash forward to the very end of the movie. That's a total lack of faith in the audience.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

porfiria posted:

John Wick is good but it does the incredibly tacky TV move of having the first scene be a flash forward to the very end of the movie. That's a total lack of faith in the audience.

The movie ain't perfect, but it's such a breath of fresh air. It'll be remembered as one of the defining action movies of the '10s.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGpZ9xaQLYQ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kiimo posted:

Assuming you like action movies it's really dumb you've waited this long on it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Gatts posted:

Keanu is very athletic and skilled. It's kind of refreshing to see a normal human physique amongst roided up actors pull off stunts.

And his talents aren't all Hollywood magic either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCIgpUTvfsA

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Nah, they loved it, along with tactical gun nerds. It's not often those two groups agree on something.

I love that Keanu, quite late in life, learned how to shoot a gun well enough to be comparable to the very best in the world. I've watched him to the drills, then watched the people who taught him, and they're faster, but not that much faster.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The movie ain't perfect, but it's such a breath of fresh air. It'll be remembered as one of the defining action movies of the '10s.

I liked the little buckings of cliches, like how you're expecting Leguizamo's character to die, but then the mob boss finds out what his son did, and is like 'oh, okay.' and hangs up, like, fair enough.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 9, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Snowman_McK posted:

I liked the little buckings of cliches, like how you're expecting Leguizamo's character to die, but then the mob boss finds out what his son did, and is like 'oh, okay.' and hangs up, like, fair enough.

In a small way, one of the best examples of this is in the club scene. When Wick gets tossed over the edge of a balcony and the camera trails him like he's gonna break his fall on a table or people or something and he just slams into the ground. It's one of my most memorable parts of the film.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

This was the exact scene where I realized I was watching something special.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

The whole sequence of the father realising what's happened and explaining it is great. Especially the brief scene of him digging out his address book and glasses.

LesterGroans posted:

In a small way, one of the best examples of this is in the club scene. When Wick gets tossed over the edge of a balcony and the camera trails him like he's gonna break his fall on a table or people or something and he just slams into the ground. It's one of my most memorable parts of the film.

Also how the movie is pretty scrupulous about reloads and how many magazines Wick actually has.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I loved Vigo's reaction to finding out what his idiot son had done. That despondent, disappointed, dejected, "Oh." says everything you need to know about their experiences together. Vigo knew just how badly his son had just hosed up.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, they loved it, along with tactical gun nerds. It's not often those two groups agree on something.

I love that Keanu, quite late in life, learned how to shoot a gun well enough to be comparable to the very best in the world. I've watched him to the drills, then watched the people who taught him, and they're faster, but not that much faster.

I think Keanu said that his firearms and martial arts training kicked off for the Matrix way back in the 90s

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I think Keanu said that his firearms and martial arts training kicked off for the Matrix way back in the 90s

Yeah, there's a gap between that and being able to do a 3 gun routine almost as fast as the person who is teaching you, who is a literal world champion.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, there's a gap between that and being able to do a 3 gun routine almost as fast as the person who is teaching you, who is a literal world champion.

Is there a video that shows them back to back? I've only ever seen the video I posted that's been making the social media rounds as viral marketing for JW2.

vv Dang, guess I'll Google fu then, I'm not 100% sure why but watching Keanu shoot real guns is really fun vv

Prokhor Zakharov fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 9, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Is there a video that shows them back to back? I've only ever seen the video I posted that's been making the social media rounds as viral marketing for JW2.

no. I just watched that video, then googled the lady that's there as his instructor. Then kept watching other 3 gun routines because i've seen very little competitive shooting and it's pretty amazing to watch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

Or the cop scene.

"You uh, workin again John?" It's an action movie for people who love action movies. And people who love doggies.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I had 0 expectations for John Wick, but it was very entertaining. Keanu is so nimble and fast so the action scenes look neat and precise. The pacing and design of the film are also way, way above what most action films would be.

It's basically what the straight-to-DVD action movies wish they could be. For every John Wick, there's a dozen Seagal movies that look up to John Wick as what they could've, should've been if they were handled by better teams. It's like the idea of the revenge / action movie but distilled down to an exact core. And the core is doubletapping fools.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I've seen John Wick 2 five times now (working on the German dub and all...) and it didn't get old yet. Quite the opposite. There's so much stuff happening and not explicitly spelled out that you'll pick up new things with every viewing. Without spoilering anything: I still don't know how you even begin to put together and then shoot something like the last set piece.

We also got a bump in rating. Part 1 was 16+ and part 2 will be 18+ in Germany (very much comparable to NC 17 stateside), so you all get to look to forward to much more close race face shooting.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

AlexF posted:

I've seen John Wick 2 five times now (working on the German dub and all...) and it didn't get old yet. Quite the opposite. There's so much stuff happening and not explicitly spelled out that you'll pick up new things with every viewing. Without spoilering anything: I still don't know how you even begin to put together and then shoot something like the last set piece.

We also got a bump in rating. Part 1 was 16+ and part 2 will be 18+ in Germany (very much comparable to NC 17 stateside), so you all get to look to forward to much more close race face shooting.

Does the German voice actor who dubs Keanu dub every movie he is in? I know that is a thing in France, I'm curious if that applies to other countries too.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Does anyone know what's happening with the Australian release? Lionsgate's local distributor said something about they're still working out the number of screens, but it's not even been classified here yet.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Meanwhile the local distributor for the movie in Sweden didn't even bother picking it up because the attendance numbers for the first one was so low that they didn't bother.
Which kind of a shame because I've been dying to see it. :(

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Mierenneuker posted:

Does the German voice actor who dubs Keanu dub every movie he is in? I know that is a thing in France, I'm curious if that applies to other countries too.

Yeah, it's been the same one since Little Buddha from 1993 with one exception being The Gift from 2000.

His name is Benjamin Voelz and he's one of the most well known and famous (and expensive) voice actors in Germany. Other big names he's been regularly used for include Matthew McConaughey, Eric Bana, Charlie Sheen and David Duchovny. He's so well known for Duchovny, voicing him from the beginning of the X-Files, that it created a huuuuge shitstorm after Fox cast another actor (Johannes Berenz) for the second X-Files movie, because Voelz tried to gamble with his salary and asked for way too much money. Not that that pile of poo poo could have been saved at the box office by anything, but when word got around that Voelz hadn't reprised his role German audiences started to boycott the film. Revenue compared to the first movie dropped 85%.

And it's the same for pretty much every A- or B-lister. As soon as people know a face German distributors try to use the same voice for every movie (Adam Driver, for example, will most likely keep the voice they cast for Star Wars because a bajillion people saw that).

There's exceptions, of course. Ryan Gosling is still swinging between two actors: Tommy Morgenstern in the recent ones like Lala Land, Nice Guys or Drive and Tobias Kluckert in Gangster Squad, Crazy Stupid Love or Blue Valentine. I prefer Morgenstern (we cast him in Nice Guys :) )but it's a toss-up at this point.

And just for fun here's a little anecdote of my own:

We also dubbed Escape Plan and it was the absolute lowest point of my career. Schwarzenegger and Stallone share a voice actor since 1980 (Thomas Danneberg). When Expendables was released the German distributor simply let him speak both roles since both their characters only meet for a short amount of time and it's not really a dialogue heavy scene. This, of course, set precedence in fans' expectations for Escape Plan and everyone thought we'd do the same. We tried for the trailers and it worked really well so we cast him for both roles in the feature. Problem is, that Stallone and Schwarzenegger share way more scenes in Escape Plan than they do in Expendables and the dialogue is a little more involved as well. A few hours in the recording sessions you noticed that he simply wasn't up to the task and it absolutely sounded like one person doing two roles. Dude's over 70 years old so of course you can't have him work forever. We decided to re-cast Schwarzenegger since his role is a little smaller and as soon as word got out all hell broke loose. We're talking death threats to my boss level here. We tried to reach out to Danneberg so he could maybe help us with an official statement but all that did was bringing him onto the fan's sides and he gave some local interviews just slamming our company and "that one little woman who decided to recast him" (my boss). Complete PR disaster that went on for months.

The movie bombed so hard that our home entertainment division then booked Danneberg again for the DVD release so he could re-dub Schwarzenegger to make fans happy. They actually wanted to release a version called either "The Fan Dub" or (much better) "Doppel - Danne" edition (short for "Double Danneberg"). An expensive plan but it most likely would have paid off. I'm saying "would have" because despite being booked and confirmed for an appearance, Danneberg simply didn't show up to the recording sessions. No excuses, no replacement schedule: He simply didn't show, most likely as a final gently caress you to us.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wow, that's something I'd never heard of. I wanna see a movie about subbing VOs acting like rockstars now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

well why not posted:

wow, that's something I'd never heard of. I wanna see a movie about subbing VOs acting like rockstars now.
Saint's Row IV has Keith David, as Keith David.

• Locked thread