Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Looks like ya-need but did they mean for it to be pronounced in-ee-add or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

I thought this definitely wasn't the end times in space?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Not a viking posted:

I spent 2,5 hours today setting up terrain, playing an Infinity game and packing away the table. It was a lot of "fun". My thermo optic camouflaged heavy infantry dude jumped out and shot a robot, his giant armored robot shot my heavy infantry dudes. I won by covering the objective with a smoke grenade, run a heavy infantry dude into contact with it and used my last order to shoot a huge blast of red hot metal through the smoke to kill his guy that was contesting it.

Meanwhile the 40k players where still playing their game that they had started before I got to the club.

Tfw you finish an entire x-wing tournament in the span of a single 40k game.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

I'm just amazed they finally pulled the trigger on that.

:same:

I mean I would hope it would be good, that Ynnead proved to be an interesting development for the Eldar that questioned the rigid Craftworld way and caused a change in the status quo with the Ruinous Powers, but this is GW we're talking about. Slaanesh gets fridged and Khorne gets more powerful, GW sells more buckets of red paint.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Chill la Chill posted:

Our hobby nights have gone from single game of 40k to three games of Bolt Action. :mil101:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Enentol posted:

Our hobby nights have gone from single game of 40k to three games of Bolt Action. :mil101:

:wedass:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Enentol posted:

Tanks! can go pretty quick too. But sadly as I said last page WORLD IS A gently caress and the game of Tanks! I was to play tomorrow has been cancelled due to a blizzard. :doom:
I can't even get in a loving game when there are people who want to game! On the upside I found a nice warm ballcap with those ear flappy things for 9 bucks to keep my ears warm when I shovel my driveway to hell tomorrow. And a Tee Shirt that is Atari Vector Coin Op Star Wars which is the best arcade game EVER. The shirt cost as much as a Wang except the game shops had no new Wangs meaning no Sabine TIE to buy for my ever increasing collection of TIE variants I never get to use.

PS: this is the length of my driveway with me taking the photo right in front of my car. Yeah. Imagine shoveling a foot high of this.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

X-wing is a game I could play once, maaaybe twice a day for the rest of my life, but more than that, or a full tournament and I start to get pretty sick of it, even if the total time is only 4-5 hours

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Not a viking posted:

I spent 2,5 hours today setting up terrain, playing an Infinity game and packing away the table. It was a lot of "fun". My thermo optic camouflaged heavy infantry dude jumped out and shot a robot, his giant armored robot shot my heavy infantry dudes. I won by covering the objective with a smoke grenade, run a heavy infantry dude into contact with it and used my last order to shoot a huge blast of red hot metal through the smoke to kill his guy that was contesting it.

Meanwhile the 40k players where still playing their game that they had started before I got to the club.

Chill la Chill posted:

In my local meta our Infinity tournaments usually last about 5 and a half hours including set up and tear down. Hour and a half games with some time in between to bullshit, run across the street to grab some Tim's or just chill. The last game of 40K I played took 8 hours of set up and play combined. I wanted to leave during turn one but had already sunk too much time.

Also a new purple death god, wrapped in blue swirly stuff. Hmmm, where have I seen that before? Glad to see the Dark Elves getting a new army book though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sir Teabag posted:

In my local meta our Infinity tournaments usually last about 5 and a half hours including set up and tear down. Hour and a half games with some time in between to bullshit, run across the street to grab some Tim's or just chill. The last game of 40K I played took 8 hours of set up and play combined. I wanted to leave during turn one but had already sunk too much time.

Why would you even agree to that?

Like I still play 40k but anything over 2,000 points (which is already pushing it) is just painful and Apocalypse is the worst, least-fun thing GW has ever put out by a loving country mile. I have never had an enjoyable experience playing in a big game of Apocalypse. Even descriptions of those games make me cringe

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Like I still play 40k but anything over 2,000 points (which is already pushing it) is just painful and Apocalypse is the worst, least-fun thing GW has ever put out by a loving country mile. I have never had an enjoyable experience playing in a big game of Apocalypse. Even descriptions of those games make me cringe

I've never heard of a game of Apocalypse making it past turn 3.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah yeah. Space elves get their death god or whatever. Tell me when Ghazkull knocks together enough heads to get that galaxy-wide WAAAAAAGGHHHHH!!! going on.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Slimnoid posted:

I've never heard of a game of Apocalypse making it past turn 3.

the funny part is, at its core, everyone who plays kind of *wants* to try it because the core concept is "just get the biggest loving armies you can and make it one big rear end EPIC battle" which sounds rad as hell but then the actual execution does nothing to streamline the game, and piles on extra rules, such that the result is a long slog that takes forever to set up and execute each turn so you never get around to later turns. Hell, even the game's mission structure doesn't do anything interesting--it's just more "mash your armies into each other" on a table that's too small to accommodate a game this size.

The only way to even begin to make Apocalypse fun is if everyone just brings only superheavies and so it turns into a scaled-up game of Adeptus Titanicus.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I lost the link to the funny EOW 40k comics again, but pretend I posted the apocalypse.jpg series here.

So placeholder in case I find them

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
They keep using the AoS words for the fantasy races in the Slgmar thread and its really annoying.

They are lizardmen goddammit not seraphon, gah! I shouldn't give poo poo, but I do.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

the funny part is, at its core, everyone who plays kind of *wants* to try it because the core concept is "just get the biggest loving armies you can and make it one big rear end EPIC battle" which sounds rad as hell but then the actual execution does nothing to streamline the game, and piles on extra rules, such that the result is a long slog that takes forever to set up and execute each turn so you never get around to later turns. Hell, even the game's mission structure doesn't do anything interesting--it's just more "mash your armies into each other" on a table that's too small to accommodate a game this size.

The only way to even begin to make Apocalypse fun is if everyone just brings only superheavies and so it turns into a scaled-up game of Adeptus Titanicus.

Or you could just, y'know, play E:A, which does the 'massive sci-fi armies' thing much better than Apocalypse ever could.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Slimnoid posted:

Or you could just, y'know, play E:A, which does the 'massive sci-fi armies' thing much better than Apocalypse ever could.

Obviously, but that's an entirely separate game

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
why do games of 40k take so loving long now? i remember 1500-2000 point games taking 1-2 hours in 3rd edition. is it because everyone has like 3 saves they can roll?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Overlapping rules from formations lead to tons of rerolls too.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

why do games of 40k take so loving long now? i remember 1500-2000 point games taking 1-2 hours in 3rd edition. is it because everyone has like 3 saves they can roll?

Too many saves, they re-added the psychic phase back in, more bullshit during set-up, models are even cheaper so there are more of them, rules are even more obtuse so you have to hit up the rulebook at least once per game, longer games (5-7 turns)

1500 points in 2 hours is doable if both players know what they're doing and the game doesn't go to 7 turns, but typically it'll run closer to 3.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

8 hours is hyperbole. It was more like 6 with a 45 minute drive each way to my buddies house in the sticks.

6 hours includes set up and tear down. Plus referencing rules across multiple books, hard copy and digital.

I literally sold my army after that game, which wasn't even a bad experience by 40k standards.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Indolent Bastard posted:

They keep using the AoS words for the fantasy races in the Slgmar thread and its really annoying.

They are lizardmen goddammit not seraphon, gah! I shouldn't give poo poo, but I do.

Don't you want to respect and protect the Games Workshop(TM) branding? What kind of Games Workshop(TM) customer are you if you aren't willing to man up and call an Orruk an Orruk.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xarbala posted:

Don't you want to respect and protect the Games Workshop(TM) branding? What kind of Games Workshop(TM) customer are you if you aren't willing to man up and call an Orruk an Orruk.

Ur-orro-ur-k.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Sir Teabag posted:

Also a new purple death god, wrapped in blue swirly stuff. Hmmm, where have I seen that before? Glad to see the Dark Elves getting a new army book though.

We are a bunch of relatively new players, so we usually spend 2,5 hours on a single game. But that's more to do with paralysation by analysation than anything. Playing limited insertion helped a lot last night.

Also, isn't that "40k end times" a photoshop? It's literally a re-coloring of the elves End times book

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Not a viking posted:

But that's more to do with paralysation by analysation than anything. Playing limited insertion helped a lot last night.

also known as "just the tip"

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Not a viking posted:

Also, isn't that "40k end times" a photoshop? It's literally a re-coloring of the elves End times book

The fact you need to ask is the joke.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
On a not-40k note, and also a not-giving-GW-Money note, what alternatives are there to the old Free Company/Militia box set that I could use to kitbash together a small force of Morheim Witch Hunters that I could use for either Mordheim or Frostgrave?
I'm comfortable with the idea of using GS to tweak, fix, or alter things, including the possibility of crafting those silly hats.

I've looked at the plastic kits for barbarians, soldiers, and cultists (the last doesn't strike me as having any truly useful parts for the task) for Frostgrave, but are there any other sources?
Or am I going to have to steal some 40k/ebay stuff after all?

I've already got a couple of left-over empire priests, and a reaper model for a Priestess of Shallya (awesome if you don't want permanent injuries on your warband - make sure to roll both a 1 and a 6 when rolling her first prayers!), so I just need the captain, hunters, and a ton of those zealot dudes (as the dogs and fanatics don't really strike me as useful by comparison).

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's giving GW money, but these aren't the free company, and are very Mordheim. They're also £1.60/fig, which is downright reasonable when you go buy them elsewhere at a discount.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I cant find any good pictures of him, but the hero Thaiden Mistpeak from Descent would make a really cool basic witch hunter dude

http://www.coolminiornot.com/373493

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Too many saves, they re-added the psychic phase back in, more bullshit during set-up, models are even cheaper so there are more of them, rules are even more obtuse so you have to hit up the rulebook at least once per game, longer games (5-7 turns)

That there's even more models on the field is really the killer here. You have so much poo poo to move around the field and keep track of far more units than you ever did in 3rd/4th that it's one of the main culprits of making the game such a loving slog.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
mo' models, mo' money bitch

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's giving GW money, but these aren't the free company, and are very Mordheim. They're also £1.60/fig, which is downright reasonable when you go buy them elsewhere at a discount.

£13 (and change) from element games, yeah that's not too painful.
I'll have to think about that.

I've pulled the trigger on a single sprue each of FG soldiers and barbarians, and added some uhh... "Gripping beast dark age warriors" which I'll probably use as zealots with spears and shields.
With some GS work, those should make for some reasonably good witch hunters and/or henchmen.

Moola posted:

Thaiden Mistpeak from Descent

Interesting model, but sadly not available separately from the full descent box.
I'd end up converting it anyway, as looking at Mordheim rules, I'd probably go for sword, shield, light armour, and twin pistols (the crossbow pistol doesn't strike me as worth it).

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

mcjomar posted:

On a not-40k note, and also a not-giving-GW-Money note, what alternatives are there to the old Free Company/Militia box set that I could use to kitbash together a small force of Morheim Witch Hunters that I could use for either Mordheim or Frostgrave?

Why not the Frostgrave Cultist kit?

You can bash it with the Soldier kit too!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Who does the studio art for frostgrave? I love their clean style which reminds me of 90s GW era minis but it's not quite the same. Can't put my finger on it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the slightly more realistic proportions, more grounded outfits and equipment and different bases?

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Why not the Frostgrave Cultist kit?

Yeah my first glance I wasn't too sure about them.
I guess I'm still not?

Though I guess some weapon/head swaps might work for the actual witch hunter models?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

the slightly more realistic proportions, more grounded outfits and equipment and different bases?

That could be it, but both have the cleaner style and yet the frost stuff seems much nicer. Could be the lighting and photography but the style looks slightly different. I think it's that mix of a cel shaded look with using washes to keep other areas dirty. That green huntsman to the right and the lost gold rush prospector to the left :drat:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

mcjomar posted:

I'm comfortable with the idea of using GS to tweak, fix, or alter things, including the possibility of crafting those silly hats.

I've looked at the plastic kits for barbarians, soldiers, and cultists (the last doesn't strike me as having any truly useful parts for the task) for Frostgrave, but are there any other sources?
Or am I going to have to steal some 40k/ebay stuff after all?

I've already got a couple of left-over empire priests, and a reaper model for a Priestess of Shallya (awesome if you don't want permanent injuries on your warband - make sure to roll both a 1 and a 6 when rolling her first prayers!), so I just need the captain, hunters, and a ton of those zealot dudes (as the dogs and fanatics don't really strike me as useful by comparison).

Fireforge has some "GW proportioned" medieval plastics, and the upcoming early medieval Scandinavian box could also be suitable.

http://www.fireforge-games.com/webstore?productsublayout=0

THe Perry Miniatures WotR boxes can be used as well, but less suitable for wholesale parts swop with GW as they are more realistically proportioned.

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=2490

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Seriously Warhammer tournaments were loving exhausting. You'd get there early, sometime even a little after dawn, and the thing would last past sundown. Add in the fact that the terrible rules system resulted in tons of arguments because everyone there was playing with their local house rules since they never actually read the books combined with people just getting tired and irritable after eight hours of standing playing and they were just not worth it. I had some good experiences when I was heavily into that scene but it burned me out on a lot of aspects of that community and I really don't have a lot of interest in spending large amounts of time playing against strangers that have a high chance of being douchebags. At least with other games they are over quickly and you can move on from those types.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 9, 2017

• Locked thread