Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bronzer is toxic in large amounts, so I'm told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Subyng posted:

This post is really hard to respond to because it seems like you're making a point against weird aliens in trek but you're actually arguing against yourself. As you said, aliens serve the plot, not the other way around, but having aliens that are more alien opens up possilities for interesting story telling because it puts our characters in situations that don't normally exist and explores the outcomes. Isn't that the whole basis of sci-fi in the first place?

Your post is like saying "no, we shouldn't add seasoning to this dish because seasoning serves the dish, not the other way around". Like...yes, but how is that an argument against adding seasoning?

Like, obviously if the plot doesn't necessitate having weird aliens then you're right. But on the other hand weird aliens can be used to create interesting plots. Every episode of Star Trek is essentially "weird or unusual X happens and the characters deal with it". Replace X with technology, situation, or alien.

I guess I never meant that the alien-ness is what makes the stories interesting in Trek. They're just things to write the situations onto. My point was, most of them might as well be human. Making them aliens just makes the exposition about how this situation arose a lot quicker. It goes from some long, contrived, pointless bullshit explanation to, simply, "They're aliens. Deal with it." Most of the situations that happen could exist without aliens or space gods or whatever, but they're just expedited by all of that stuff.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Tom Zarek did nothing wrong. He was one of the best parts of the show but since he wasn't really hooked into the religious aspect of it he got short shift in the plot.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQNk6VMg9xs

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I do love those ST VI Klingon uniforms

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fifty Year Mission Ongoing Trip Report:

Holy loving poo poo am I sick of TNG producers going "Writers had to learn to live with Gene's rules for Star Trek, and it was hard for some of them to accept that. He kept this thing going for 30 years, so his authority and creativity are beyond question."

Cut to:

- Gene being a senile, passive-aggressive shitlord who should have been brought down by sexual harassment/discrimination suits.

- Letting his lawyer, who might have been Satan, break WGA rules on the reg, also grounds for a suit. Even Rick Berman, generally a Gene guy, had enough of this rear end in a top hat.

- Gene's total inability to write, intelligently critique anything, follow his own rules, and as time went on, even make sense in conversation.

- The Star Trek writing team becoming infamous industry-wide for being a terrible place to work in Hollywood, leading to the show buying scripts from amateur writers and having the revolving door writing team at times do nothing but revise those submissions. Literally thousands of man hours with writers attending pitch meetings with people off the street.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I legitimately wonder what the DS9 writers room was like now. Moore always seems to come off as very professional, willing to accept both writers and actors inputs on storylines and characters, and willing to try things that Star Trek wouldn't do before.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Probably had drywall.

edit: chairs too

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

dont even fink about it posted:

- The Star Trek writing team becoming infamous industry-wide for being a terrible place to work in Hollywood, leading to the show buying scripts from amateur writers and having the revolving door writing team at times do nothing but revise those submissions. Literally thousands of man hours with writers attending pitch meetings with people off the street.

The documentary Chaos on the Bridge also had this. If it wasn't Star Trek it would have been axed before Gene could take his foot off the brake.

twistedmentat posted:

I legitimately wonder what the DS9 writers room was like now. Moore always seems to come off as very professional, willing to accept both writers and actors inputs on storylines and characters, and willing to try things that Star Trek wouldn't do before.

I wonder if it's in the DS9 companion. That book apparently is somewhat rare and you can't buy it for under like 70 bucks now online. Who knows, they might e-book it like they did with the TNG companion, but it's been 3 years since that.

I haven't quite finished yet (I'm on 7.13) but Dukat's arc reminds me of Gaius Baltar's. He goes from villain, to a little redeemed, to villain, to religious figure. Speaking of Baltar, Bashir seemed weirdly familiar to me all series but I could never figure out why, but now I realized he reminds me of Baltar.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I really saw Bashir and Baltar being very similar, thought I never thought of the Dukat analog, but that makes sense.

That reminds me of that documentary that presenting DS9 getting made as some kind of rodeo, drat I wish I could remember what it was called. It was on HBO when I had it last.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
For a worryingly long time I just assumed that Siddig was in Galactica.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I really saw Bashir and Baltar being very similar, thought I never thought of the Dukat analog, but that makes sense.

That reminds me of that documentary that presenting DS9 getting made as some kind of rodeo, drat I wish I could remember what it was called. It was on HBO when I had it last.

I googled it because that sounds awesome and I found out their making one for release this year

http://trekmovie.com/2016/08/06/exclusive-ira-steven-behr-reveals-details-about-deep-space-nine-documentary-coming-soon/

With Ira Behr in his Heisenberg cosplay too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dont even fink about it posted:

Cut to:

- Letting his lawyer, who might have been Satan, break WGA rules on the reg, also grounds for a suit.

I kind of wonder if anything aside from the title cards would have changed if David Gerrold had decided to go for broke and sued Paramount for a co-creator credit... and won. Maybe Gene would have had a stroke early on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just realized I wrote DS9 when I meant TNG. And Yea, it was Chaos On the Bridge, somehow I remembered it having a more western sounding name.

Probably because there's the story of Gene selling CBS TOS by calling it a Wagon Train to the Stars. What the hell does that mean?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
There was an old TV show from the late 50s called Wagon Train. It's like how we might describe Balance of Terror as being "The Enemy Below, in space!"

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's the title of the first book my favorite Trek book series. Granted, not a high bar.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, Wagon Train was a popular Western about a, well, wagon train of settlers making their way out West and the adventures they have and the unusual people they meet along the way. You can see how that description could apply to TOS.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

It's the title of the first book my favorite Trek book series. Granted, not a high bar.

As far as Trek novels go New Earth is indeed pretty good. The last book kind of goes to some kind of strange places for Trek (though it has been a while, I might like it more if I read it again) but the first 5 are some pretty good TOS adventure.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

As far as Trek novels go New Earth is indeed pretty good. The last book kind of goes to some kind of strange places for Trek (though it has been a while, I might like it more if I read it again) but the first 5 are some pretty good TOS adventure.

I actually ended up finding out about the New Earth stuff through the Gateway super series, and went back and really enjoyed it. It's especially surprising it worked out so well because I picked up a book in the middle of the Gateway stuff in an airport, which is always a great way to go about selecting reading material. Hello Butlerian Jihad.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Watched both parts of "Year of Hell" the other day, and still wish that Voyager had been more like that as a series. Just the ship being patched together after continuously getting hosed up, and zero magic reset buttons.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Around 1:20... is that guy running away from an exploding planet? :stare:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von der Loon posted:

Wouldn't you?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gonz posted:

Watched both parts of "Year of Hell" the other day, and still wish that Voyager had been more like that as a series. Just the ship being patched together after continuously getting hosed up, and zero magic reset buttons.

Well, until that last one.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I watched Sub Rosa yesterday because of the thread title, and I know I've seen every episode of TNG, but I did not remember this one at all. What a loving riot.

Picard walks in on Beverly getting off on her granny's easy chair and is just like :stare: for a few seconds. Lmao.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

jng2058 posted:

Well, until that last one.

God drat how old is that .gif?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mental Hospitality posted:

I watched Sub Rosa yesterday because of the thread title, and I know I've seen every episode of TNG, but I did not remember this one at all. What a loving riot.

Picard walks in on Beverly getting off on her granny's easy chair and is just like :stare: for a few seconds. Lmao.

I maintain that Sub Rosa is spookely good bad. Like its so silly in every way, it kind of loops around to being fun. It isn't the dire depths of terrible that is Far Haven or the other shittastic Voyager episodes.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

mycomancy posted:

God drat how old is that .gif?

Old enough for Aatrek to lose interest in it. :aatrek:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doggles posted:

Old enough for Aatrek to lose interest in it. :aatrek:

:master:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

twistedmentat posted:

I maintain that Sub Rosa is spookely good bad. Like its so silly in every way, it kind of loops around to being fun. It isn't the dire depths of terrible that is Far Haven or the other shittastic Voyager episodes.

Oh yeah for sure, you can laugh at it and its so weird and crazy for Star Trek. Voyager has lots of bad episodes that are just flat out boring.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The IndieGogo for Ira Behr's DS9 documentary is up:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/what-we-left-behind-star-trek-deep-space-nine-doc#/

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Goddamn, someone already claimed one of the $3000 backer rewards.

And one of the $2000 rewards, which involves Nana Visitor cooking dinner for you.

That one honestly sounds more fun. She seems like a pretty cool person.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I like how they have absolutely everyone on board except Brooks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Baron von der Loon posted:

There were more unique effects shots in that 4 minutes than the entire original run of BSG. Mostly better composed too.

But the direction ? I needed some crackers and wine to go with that cheese.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Kazinsal posted:

Goddamn, someone already claimed one of the $3000 backer rewards.
And one of the $2000 rewards, which involves Nana Visitor cooking dinner for you.

I really hope she isn't murdered and eaten by whoever buys that.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Holy gently caress. How much to have Avery Brooks play the piano and sing for me and a date?

E:

Moddington posted:

I like how they have absolutely everyone on board except Brooks.

drat it! The prophets are crying!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Terry Farrell is listed as just "Dax" but Nicole de Boer is listed as "Ezri Dax" I CALL SHENANIGANS

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess I'm going to have to break my crowd funding rule and back a flexible funding project on IndieGoGo.

Edit: I hope James Darren sings a song in it.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 9, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I just really want to see the hypothetical season 8 writer's discussion.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Avery Brooks lives near Rutgers, doesn't he? That might be why he's not on board, all these other mugs probably still live in the greater Los Angeles area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just really want to see the hypothetical season 8 writer's discussion.

I've got two words for you: Kai Dukat.