Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eopia posted:

Is it just me or did the notice for the special event character disappear? Wasn't it supposed to start tonight?

It's the tonight that kicks off 20 hours from now, not the tonight that's already started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
So, eliwood has an alternate passive which gives a tasty atk / def buff to all friendly cavalry within 2 squares, and as I love dumb gimmick teams, what would be the best team to build around that passive?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's the tonight that kicks off 20 hours from now, not the tonight that's already started.

Ah, I got the date wrong then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So what's this about special edition Lyn and Ike? Do we all get that? I hope it's free.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Tiger Millionaire posted:

So, eliwood has an alternate passive which gives a tasty atk / def buff to all friendly cavalry within 2 squares, and as I love dumb gimmick teams, what would be the best team to build around that passive?

gunter has hone cavalry too, but I don't think they stack together. He's strong, swole, and free right now and got harsh command which inverse buffs/debuffs which is pretty cool.

Abel for anti-takumi action and idk Cecilia for magic damage.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If you give Gunter Hone Cavalry does he stop buffing non-cavalry units?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tired Moritz posted:

gunter has hone cavalry too, but I don't think they stack together. He's strong, swole, and free right now and got harsh command which inverse buffs/debuffs which is pretty cool.

My favorite moment from early on was when Nino got debuffed by a ninja, Gunter used Harsh Command on her, and then she wrecked face against someone she really shouldn't have.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

AlphaKretin posted:

If you give Gunter Hone Cavalry does he stop buffing non-cavalry units?

presumably! I didn't get my Gunter Hone Cavalry because I'm racist against their no forest passing asses.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Are there more characters who can learn Breath of Life besides Young Tiki and Florina?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Ugh, gently caress that dessert map. I think i have 90% of my arena losses on that dumb bottleneck.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Nuebot posted:

So what's this about special edition Lyn and Ike? Do we all get that? I hope it's free.

You got some real misplaced hopes, buddy

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
4183 points (rank 2500ish) now in arena, using Lyn / Robin / Peri / Kagero. Takumis are literally everywhere which is hilarious since I have two hard counters in Robin and Kagero. Scariest opponents I've found are probably Lucina (for being a powerhouse), Camilla (for ruining your flawless runs), and other Kageros for being hard to counter (hard to get into melee with her when Takumi is also a threat). Nowi gets an honourable mention for being a blue counter-attacker and so does Liliana for crazy high atk. Azura's also very powerful despite being rare. Hector's sorta a chump when controlled by ai, as are other knights.

The matches are almost chess-like where you're trying to make beneficial exchanges with the ai. I can manage a one-death victory most of the time but flawless are pretty hard for me still.

Also for those of you wondering, there's hard/lunatic arena quests after the initial biatch. So 6000 feathers up for grabs.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

acumen posted:

Scariest opponents I've found are probably Lucina (for being a powerhouse)
Also for those of you wondering, there's hard/lunatic arena quests after the initial biatch. So 6000 feathers up for grabs.

i have a +1 lucina with absurd atk. all i need to do is have azura spam sing on her and she pretty much 1v4s every match. good poo poo.

also, are all of the hard/lunatic arena quests just 'win [x] arena matches'? or are there a few fun ones as well? would be nice to mix it up.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Turns out my issue was that the game had yet to properly update the standings.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Lovechop posted:

i have a +1 lucina with absurd atk. all i need to do is have azura spam sing on her and she pretty much 1v4s every match. good poo poo.

also, are all of the hard/lunatic arena quests just 'win [x] arena matches'? or are there a few fun ones as well? would be nice to mix it up.

Yeah. Hard is:

40 arenas of any difficulty (1000 feathers)
20 intermediate or higher (1000 feathers)
10 intermediate or higher (10 more dueling swords)

Smart move giving us arena to grind out since there's nothing else to spend stamina on at this point. If these quests continue next month and on, there's a ton of arena time for people to play when they're out of stamina (30 swords from arena quests + another 10?ish from monthlies). It's a fairly flexible system too since you only really need to do one run per week, but if you have a bunch of time that you want to spend grinding Fire Emblem you can go hog wild with the swords trying to improve your score/get feathers/level other units.

Apparently merged units (+levels) give you higher scores though which means that whales are inevitably going to be sorted at the top of the ranks.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

blizzardvizard posted:

Lyn is 1st overall, Hector is 6th...

Eliwood is 427th. :lol:

That's FE6 Eliwood.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Real quick I'd just like to say gently caress You to every person on the earth who voted for Roy

Welp, see ya

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Real quick I'd just like to say gently caress You to every person on the earth who voted for Roy

Welp, see ya

Roy's our boy.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

PJOmega posted:

How'd you get a character to 40 in 250 stamina? My Tiki(5*)/Camilla(5*)/Takumi(5*)/Peri(4*) is in the 33-37 range and they get XP so slowly.

The last 4 strata are all generally between 35 and 40 so I would only pick the ones with 2-3 swords on them and then have her basically solo the map with Takumi occasionally softening people up for her or sniping armored axes, and Roy pushing her around the map. Team was Anna (4*) / Roy (5*) / Takumi (5*) / Catria (5*). The rest of the team was already around 30 when I started leveling her and each character gained maybe one or two levels along the way.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 9, 2017

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
Hector lost to Roy. I'm very sad.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Dunban posted:

That's FE6 Eliwood.

Yeah I just realized that :downs:

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I did some math, and Ike would be the most popular character in the FE franchise, if the PoR and Radiant Dawn votes were added together. Anna would also be under Shadow Dragon Marth, if you added up every single appearance's votes together.

Speaking of Marth, his SD and New Mystery incarnations would be between Camilla and Chrom's total votes. Math is a fun use of a morning, I'd say.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I forget her name but what sets Azura apart from the not Azura dancer (I forget her name but it starts with O)? I drew the latter as a 4* last night and I'm curious what I'm missing.

Also she's a pain to level since dancing doesn't give EXP. Her attack is pretty high though at least.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Just got my 10,000 feathers this morning. :toot: Would it be a horrible idea to burn them on that 1* Lissa I picked up from the daily special map a couple days ago so I can have a decent healer? She's the only healer I have right now and who knows when I'll have enough Orbs to do the gacha again at the glacial pace I'm going (assuming I even get a healer then). Is Lissa a pretty good healer? Mind I am super duper casual about this game so I don't need the bestest of the best healer, just one who can do the job.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

I forget her name but what sets Azura apart from the not Azura dancer (I forget her name but it starts with O)? I drew the latter as a 4* last night and I'm curious what I'm missing.

Also she's a pain to level since dancing doesn't give EXP. Her attack is pretty high though at least.

Azura can actually contribute to offense since she gets an advantage over Red characters and the Sapphire Lance further augments that further. And since you have to draw her as a 5*, her stats will be kinda respectable.

Olivia doesn't really have much on offense other than 'can probably take down a weaker green guy or a cleric'. She's a great supporter and her +Atk aura is useful, but don't bet on her in a fight.

Silver Falcon posted:

Just got my 10,000 feathers this morning. :toot: Would it be a horrible idea to burn them on that 1* Lissa I picked up from the daily special map a couple days ago so I can have a decent healer? She's the only healer I have right now and who knows when I'll have enough Orbs to do the gacha again at the glacial pace I'm going (assuming I even get a healer then). Is Lissa a pretty good healer? Mind I am super duper casual about this game so I don't need the bestest of the best healer, just one who can do the job.

Lissa's alright as a healer, you can do fine with her at 3* if you want to get that far.

Wrys will be in the rotation a few days from now, if you're good enough to get him at 2* he'll require a bit less training.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

How long do we have to do these Arena quests? Would like to make sure to secure these feathers while spending the fewest possible/no crests.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Tired Moritz posted:

wow, you got ripped off in stats. Also Lissa is honestly pretty good already, might as well keep her.

Please don't remind me about how trash this game is, and thanks for the response :negative:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I got a 5* nowi, how good is she?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Nephzinho posted:

How long do we have to do these Arena quests? Would like to make sure to secure these feathers while spending the fewest possible/no crests.

You have 19 days to do the Arena Quests. It says right next to the difficulty.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Emalde posted:

Please don't remind me about how trash this game is, and thanks for the response :negative:

The stats aren't apparent until you hit level 40, as each character has a set level 40, with 1 stat being a "boon" (+3/4) and one being a "bane" (-3/4). Or there can multiple smaller boon and banes. It is weird. In other words, don't compare your Camilla until you hit that level cap.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Nephzinho posted:

Until March 1st. There's currently no reason not to use your crests though and the game gives you dozens so fill your boots if you have the time.

Emalde posted:

Camilla will have either 35, 38, or 41 attack at level 40. She'll get there eventually.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I got a 5* nowi, how good is she?

Good. She's a blue counter-attacker. If she was a focus character I'd guess people would have more difficulty with her than Takumi.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

acumen posted:

Good. She's a blue counter-attacker. If she was a focus character I'd guess people would have more difficulty with her than Takumi.

Nowi is my main carry. With the red-heavy focus draws, she just fucks everyone up by stepping 1 square into danger with a healer behind her and the AI just breaks itself against her.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Kin33 posted:

Mine is the same. 29 atk at level 28 does fk all to Takumi's def even with type advantage.

stay out of arena until your characters are 35+ or just be ready to lose a lot

arena's full of whales, most of the characters you run into are going to be 5* and maxed out. You're probably running into Takumis that are 7 or more levels above your Robin.

Nephzinho posted:

Nowi is my main carry. With the red-heavy focus draws, she just fucks everyone up by stepping 1 square into danger with a healer behind her and the AI just breaks itself against her.

likewise with Catria for me, it's hilarious to see 3 red/1 archer arena teams go down so quick. Blue characters are really good in the current meta if you luck out and get one of the good ones

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 9, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mirthless posted:

stay out of arena until your characters are 35+ or just be ready to lose a lot

arena's full of whales, most of the characters you run into are going to be 5* and maxed out. You're probably running into Takumis that are 7 or more levels above your Robin.

You don't have to pick the hardest difficulty fight every time

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Andrast posted:

You don't have to pick the hardest difficulty fight every time

even beginner pops mostly 30-35+ opponents. A couple of levels is all the difference you need to make an enemy impossible to kill.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My arena team is 35 Nowi, 35 Fae, 35 Reigh (4*), and 35 Azama (3*). I have moderate success on my defense record and can take down Advanced consistently. I'd love to drop Fae for another good blue, but I don't have any good options besides for a 3* Robin I may upgrade to 4*. Might also try to use Subaki - the Sapphire Lance will wreck the reds but he will go down instantly to bows. The starter trio is also about to get upgraded to 4* now that we got our 10k feathers, may try slotting in Sharena. Also mightswap Raigh for Henry - he is already 4* and basically serves as a Robin sub for bonus vs Colorless. Not sure if G Tomebreaker has any use outside Lunatic 9-5.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
The focus on arena is revealing about how frustrating that's going to be for me playing f2p and being mediocre at Fire Emblem. I put together a 7 streak of intermediate wins with my Tiki-Gwendolyn-Merric-Est squad in their mid to late 20s, but now I'm running into a string of Takumi/Falcion user teams that I can't take apart 1-by-1 on the split maps that keep coming up.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zurai posted:

Ahh, yeah Vengeance is probably it. I prefer to initiate against Takumi by letting him take the first shot at Robin, so I don't get Vengeanced and I only take 6 damage instead of 12 when killing him. Not always possible but it's the ideal.

As for most damaging special, it's almost certainly Astra. +150% damage is going to be more damage than 50% of your missing health.

I should have said "most dangerous special." You're right that you could get some truly ridiculous damage with Astra (aim Anna at Linde, for example), but if you're only doing 2 damage initially, Astra's still only going to do 6 damage. I sort of consider it a Win More special, though there are plenty of situations where it'd be genuinely useful. Dragon Fang adds +50% Atk before Res is subtracted though, so it's capable of nuking targets that are initially almost/completely immune to your damage. There are other similar skills, that add +50% of some stat or another, along with Luna which does the reverse, but Atk tends to be the highest stat overall for most of those characters, so I rate Dragon Fang very slightly higher than them.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Today's event hero seems pretty decent, ability-wise. Same bonus against colorless as Robin, an attack boost A, and Escape Route seems pretty cool if it works the way it says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to being able to make Sharena a 5* unit. She does decent damage but her defensive and offensive buffs are brilliant.