Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it's going to eat poo poo in floating point artificials (that nobody but HPC people actually use, and they prefer POWER over anything x86 by a long shot)

Who cares about floating point on cpu when you have gpu compute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

(16 THREADRIPPERS? :black101:)
this has gotta be a loving thing

you don't trademark a name like that and never loving use it

wargames posted:

Intel

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this has gotta be a loving thing

you don't trademark a name like that and never loving use it

Intel

People who hate trying to code poo poo in CUDA?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
2017 is shaping up to be a kick rear end year, if these rumors are true

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I want Ryzen benchmarks already gat damnit.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

teagone posted:

I want Ryzen benchmarks already gat damnit.

This. I am dying for actual independent benchmarks. I want to upgrade my emulation HTPC from a Haswell i3 and a 4 or 6 core box would be great for other duties like Plex. The latent AMD fan boy in me is cautiously optimistic about Ryzen and 2017.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/08/trump-meets-intel-ceo-brian-krzanich.html

yeah intel is trash

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
See, I don't mind letting meeting with Kim Don-Un, I mind that Krzanich let BB-Hate take credit for something that Putin's Pumpkin Puppet clearly had nothing to do with.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

See, I don't mind letting meeting with Kim Don-Un, I mind that Krzanich let BB-Hate take credit for something that Putin's Pumpkin Puppet clearly had nothing to do with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn7B5FdwBK8

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, you're right. This isn't the place for politics.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
https://www.custompcreview.com/news/amd-ryzen-7-1700-1700x-1800x-cpu-pricing-leaked-coming-sub-500-pricepoints/37559/

eames
May 9, 2009

It's getting increasingly hard not to get excited. $490 for the top 8C/16T model would be a complete game changer if they can manage Haswell level IPC. I am a bit worried that the aggressive pricing is a hint at lower performance but we'll have to wait for benchmarks to find out.
Unlike with Bulldozer the time is ripe for a bump in mainstream core count, particularly since many games these days are optimised for the 8 cores in the current gen consoles.

Looking at Vega/Polaris performance I'm fairly sure that this would also lock down AMD's APUs for the next console generation. Opteron based Mac Pros with more than 16C/32T would also be in the cards.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

wargames posted:

There are probably enough latency sensitive workloads that offloading to GPU or even APU doesn't always make sense. Too bad Intel kneecapped AVX by disabling it on Pentiums/Celerons for some reason.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

If the 8C/16T model is $490 and has a similiar Haswell level IPC then I might have to jump ship from my I7 6700K and eat the costs of selling it on Craigslist. The used CPU market is going to get destroyed though.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

looking forward to the 8c16t haswell xeon 70-90 dollar specials

sooner than a couple years if ryzen makes the landing

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Arzachel posted:

There are probably enough latency sensitive workloads that offloading to GPU or even APU doesn't always make sense. Too bad Intel kneecapped AVX by disabling it on Pentiums/Celerons for some reason.

How many nano/mili seconds does it take to offload work?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wargames posted:

Tens of microseconds.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Tens of microseconds.

I am curious what workloads are that sensitive?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

See, if those are distributor prices, then we'll be paying more than this.

Also, just for fun: https://www.forbes.com/sites/greats...e/#4cf272d06c6f

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 9, 2017

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

wargames posted:

Best case scenario would be ~5 microsecond round trip just for the PCI-E transfer with any communication overhead on top of that. That's 10 000+ cycles before you factor in the actual execution.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 9, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

isn't that the very reason why HPC uses POWER8/9?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

isn't that the very reason why HPC uses POWER8/9?

PCI-E bandwidth is what tends to bottleneck HPC applications, which is why stuff like NVLink is being developed. Not having to rewrite everything in CUDA also helps.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Arzachel posted:

PCI-E bandwidth is what tends to bottleneck HPC applications, which is why stuff like NVLink is being developed. Not having to rewrite everything in CUDA also helps.

Are they actually running out of bandwidth with 3.0 x16 because titan xps don't get limited?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If you look at the top500 list, these days it's pretty much all Intel x86_64 followed by POWER (4.5%), AMD and SPARC (1.5%). Even if POWER is theoretically better, I think most people have ended up better off spending their money on more mainstream Intel gear. In the domain I've used a HPC, Computation Fluid Dynamics, a lot of the COTS programs only come in x86 versions.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 9, 2017

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any word on quad channel memory or ECC versions?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Second Sun posted:

Is there any word on quad channel memory or ECC versions?
1) no, the other pins are for the builtin SATA/GPIO functions of the cpu
2) only if the mobo manufacturers provide traces for it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
edit: Oops, poo poo, wrong thread.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 9, 2017

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

For the first time in 9 months, I feel a twang of regret buying a Skylake.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nam Taf posted:

For the first time in 9 months, I feel a twang of regret buying a Skylake.

You should probably wait for benchmarks before you feel any regret. It wouldn't be the first time that everything looks good on paper and then womp womp, big wet fart.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

One great exciting thing about all this is if >4 threads becomes really mainstream, and games take advantage of that across the board.

I still hope AMD or Intel stick a big fat cache on a chip soon, though, 5775c style. I'm interested in how Zen's memory controller copes with fast RAM speeds, to help min FPS.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 9, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

One great exciting thing about all this is if >4 threads becomes really mainstream, and games take advantage of that across the board.

I'm pretty sure they've been doing that for a while out of pure necessity, seeing as the current gen consoles have 8-core netbook class CPUs

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I still hope AMD or Intel stick a big fat cache on a chip soon, though, 5775c style. I'm interested in how Zen's memory controller copes with fast RAM speeds, to help min FPS.

The CPU performance benefit from the L4 cache was miniscule and it took up more die space than the cores themselves did, I don't think we'll see it used for anything else than boosting iGPU bandwidth.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Arzachel posted:

The CPU performance benefit from the L4 cache was miniscule and it took up more die space than the cores themselves did, I don't think we'll see it used for anything else than boosting iGPU bandwidth.

I'm happy with it being aimed at iGPU, if it's accessibly by the CPU also - as the improvement in min framerates with discrete graphics with the 5775c seemed really worthwhile.

I suppose as memory controllers get faster though and provide less latency it's less of a thing. /armchair speculation

HalloKitty posted:

I'm pretty sure they've been doing that for a while out of pure necessity, seeing as the current gen consoles have 8-core netbook class CPUs

This is a good point, I am now less excited.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 9, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

PC watch has more details on Zen, i.e. 3.4 Ghz+ Base clock, per-core voltage regulation, "AMD asserts that it will be able to compete with Intel's Skylake generation CPU core at a level equal to that of a single-threaded performance and performance-efficient design.", die shot, etc.

machine translated link here

eames fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 9, 2017

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If it turns out they actually managed to get near Skylake performance then they'll have succeeded better than anyone (including me) expected. I think Kanter is still expecting Haswell-ish performance for non-HPC work loads and normally he is spot on. That expectation makes a lot more sense given the benches we have so far too.

Really I'd be perfectly fine with a 8C/16T 3.5Ghz+ chip for less than $400 with that level of performance but actually getting on par with Skylake would explain lots about those rumors of Intel doing some sort of panic release to try and combat Zen in the near term.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

eames posted:

PC watch has more details on Zen, i.e. 3.4 Ghz+ Base clock, per-core voltage regulation, "AMD asserts that it will be able to compete with Intel's Skylake generation CPU core at a level equal to that of a single-threaded performance and performance-efficient design.", die shot, etc.

machine translated link here

Didn't we already know about the minimum base clock and fine grain power regulation?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PerrineClostermann posted:

Didn't we already know about the minimum base clock and fine grain power regulation?

Yeah, it was in the official reveal a while back

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Good, not losing my mind here then.

Also I wouldn't start " regretting" buying Skylake. The big news is AMD getting close to or matching Intel, not obsoleting Intel. Your 6700k is still going to be a great CPU.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That's true, but I was just so underwhelmed by the upgrade from 2500k to 6700k, I noticed my new fan being quieter a lot more than any performance gains. Framerates barely budged: I thought I might be CPU limited on a 980 in games like Arma 3, nope not at all. Why did I spend all this money again?

After five years of waiting feeling that underwhelmed was really just a bummer. If AMD can double my cores or boost IPC more than a dinky Intel 5% every two years or whatever then everyone is going to jump to AMD immediately. gently caress Intel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pryor on Fire posted:

That's true, but I was just so underwhelmed by the upgrade from 2500k to 6700k, I noticed my new fan being quieter a lot more than any performance gains. Framerates barely budged: I thought I might be CPU limited on a 980 in games like Arma 3, nope not at all. Why did I spend all this money again?

After five years of waiting feeling that underwhelmed was really just a bummer. If AMD can double my cores or boost IPC more than a dinky Intel 5% every two years or whatever then everyone is going to jump to AMD immediately. gently caress Intel.

I understand that sentiment, I suppose. I'm on a 2600k. I said I wouldn't upgrade until I could get double the cores (with per core improvements) and double the RAM. Right now double the RAM costs about the same as my ram did, but CPUs didn't get too far ahead...

I've upgraded pretty much everything I can other than CPU/RAM/Mobo. Added SSDs, moved to a proper case, went full water cooling loop, added a new GPU, got an Ultrawide. If Zen ends up not being too compelling, at least it might get Intel moving in computing performance again.

• Locked thread