Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Probottt posted:

My brother is looking for some more games to get his wife for her steam account, but they're having a hard time finding games. She has a top-of-the-line machine, for reference. She like playing co-op games with my brother, and her two current favorite games are Left 4 Dead 2 and Don't Starve Together. She tried Factorio but she doesn't seem to like it as much as Don't Starve. My brother also got her the Borderlands franchise but they haven't gotten around to playing it. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Resident Evil 6 is good zombie smashing co-op fun, especially if you haven't played a Resident Evil game before. Keep in mind that most missions take like an hour, so there's a bit of a time investment to be made.
For reference, each of the campaign goes for a different kind of co-op flair: Leon & Helena are the action suspense / horror blockbuster, Chris & Pierce are the Oorah military cover shooter thriller, and Jake & Sherry are the Young Adult novel romance adventure adaption. They can pick and choose!

edit: please don't play RE6 solo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Resident Evil 6 is good zombie smashing co-op fun, especially if you haven't played a Resident Evil game before. Keep in mind that most missions take like an hour, so there's a bit of a time investment to be made.
Typing of the Dead OVERKILL is much, much more fun than it has any right to be

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

What is the best cyberpunk game right now? I already have the shadowrun ones.

I want a game to help me wait for the cdpr one.

thanks!

read only memories is pretty much queer SNATCHER and is great

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a medical mystery posted:

read only memories is pretty much queer SNATCHER and is great

Im not into the gay thing. Can i play it as a straight man?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

Im not into the gay thing. Can i play it as a straight man?

sorry, in the future even the trash cans are gay

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a medical mystery posted:

sorry, in the future even the trash cans are gay

Thats the game that is having a meltdown over Trump winning, right? that doesnt give me much confidence about their writing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lmao if you wouldn't have gay robosex in the future

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Trillest Parrot posted:

My girlfriend and I have been playing a lot of Dr. Mario and Tetris Attack lately. What are some other good co-op/vs. puzzle games we can play together?

Puzzle Fighter.
Lumines.
Puyo Puyo Tetris :japan: (disk only, but it's region free). English versions out in April.
Tetris Battle Gaiden :japan: :filez:

The latter two are Japanese only, but you don't have to understand the language to play puzzle games. That's the beauty of puzzle games!

PS, you have excellent taste. Tetris Attack is one of the greatest games of all time.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 9, 2017

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Trillest Parrot posted:

My girlfriend and I have been playing a lot of Dr. Mario and Tetris Attack lately. What are some other good co-op/vs. puzzle games we can play together?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

DoctorGonzo posted:

thanks!

Satellite Reign is mostly overlooked, but it's cyberpunk as gently caress even though not an RPG

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Trillest Parrot posted:

Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move 4. AC with ports on PS1, DC, and I think PS2? Great VS mode with insane chain-reactions. Also Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking for a Multiplayer FPS that's objective based, where positioning is Key, and all the aiming is automated.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Turtlicious posted:

Looking for a Multiplayer FPS that's objective based, where positioning is Key,

Rainbow Six Sie--

Turtlicious posted:

and all the aiming is automated.

Go play Overwatch as Torbjorn? Engineer in TF2?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Looking for a Multiplayer FPS that's objective based, where positioning is Key, and all the aiming is automated.

What would be the point of that?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not like, 360 aimbotting, but like if he's on a fairly large part of your screen you'll hit him. The game would revolve around movement options a lot and positioning. Maybe using ultimates and stuff like that, like a moba but FPS.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

So like Armored Core aiming, but a multiplayer FPS?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Most of your Call of Shootmans games on console are pretty much like that - 1 or 2 hit kills with fast firing guns and autoaim.

Maybe take a look at squad turn based games? X-Com, Frozen Synapse, etc. They're very much about map placement, just at a slower pace.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unreal_One posted:

So like Armored Core aiming, but a multiplayer FPS?

Exactly.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

thanks!

Dex is a gem in the rough. You'll thank me later.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Suggestions for couch co-op or versus games for 4 players? Already have magicka 2, helldivers, sonic all stars racing, street fighter 4, bro force, worms, gauntlet and forced.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Struensee posted:

Suggestions for couch co-op or versus games for 4 players? Already have magicka 2, helldivers, sonic all stars racing, street fighter 4, bro force, worms, gauntlet and forced.

I'm not going to explain in details why you need to buy Overcooked. I'm just going to tell you what all my friends said when I invited them for a couch gaming night, playing Overcooked with four controllers until 2AM

quote:

It's the best game of the year

e: OK, Towerfall is nice too.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 10, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Struensee posted:

Castlecrashers

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Well. It's not an FPS, but if you're looking for multiplayer team-vs-team action where positioning is everything and aiming is automated, I think Atlas Reactor might be good for you.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I just finished playing through Alpha Protocol and I want more. A modern spy/agent/special forces game with a good story and ideally some stealth elements to it. A Tom Clancy novel in game form. Looking at FPS on steam gives me a headache because the reviews seem to focus on multiplayer elements. Do any more recent ones have a good single player story to them?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Splinter Cell, the older ones, have pretty okay conspiracy plots and spy thriller schlock. Splinter Cell Blacklist was also pretty good. Rainbow Six 3 backwards were also great Clancy games, but if you want the truest recreation of a Clancy novel you want the Red Storm Rising mod for Dangerous Waters as it's the single best Tom Clancy cold war gone hot naval game.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Thanks, Splinter Cell Blacklist looks pretty fun. I was hoping for a more story based thing where you meet agents and have conversations and stuff but Splinter Cell looks like a decent sneak around and shoot people in the head simulator.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

The stories for the earlier Splinter Cell games are okay. The gameplay for Blacklist was decent but the story was awful. But it might be less awful if you haven't already played through the earlier games, and it was awful in a way that a Tom Clancy fan might still enjoy, I guess.

tl;dr don't play Blacklist for the writing, play it for the sneaky sneaky.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Any of the Deus Ex games; especially the first, if you can put up with somewhat dated graphics. Even Invisible War is... playable. But no one would blame a person for skipping it straight to Human Revolution.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Keeshhound posted:

Any of the Deus Ex games; especially the first, if you can put up with somewhat dated graphics. Even Invisible War is... playable. But no one would blame a person for skipping it straight to Human Revolution.

I've played all of those up to the new one which I think I'm going to skip because it sounds like it's still broken and unfinished. I guess I shouldn't have said Tom Clancy but that's just what came to mind when trying to describe what I was looking for. More like Alpha Protocol - an RPG with guns in a contemporary setting.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've played all of those up to the new one which I think I'm going to skip because it sounds like it's still broken and unfinished. I guess I shouldn't have said Tom Clancy but that's just what came to mind when trying to describe what I was looking for. More like Alpha Protocol - an RPG with guns in a contemporary setting.

... Maybe Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

... Maybe Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines?

The combat in this game is wonky but it's probably the closest thing to Alpha Protocol in terms of the way the narrative is structured. There aren't really a lot of "modern" RPGs - it tends to be a very fantasy heavy genre with some sci-fi thrown in.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's a little out of left field but Hitman scratches some of those itches. Like, the start of the Sapienza level is yr man 47 sitting on a bench reading a newspaper and watching the world go by with the target mansion in the background. As soon as you press a button, he gets up, puts the paper away and heads out into... about a dozen different directions. Bourne, Bond, spree shooter, whatever. It's such a perfect spy thriller opening it definitely scratches some of the same itches.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm not going to explain in details why you need to buy Overcooked. I'm just going to tell you what all my friends said when I invited them for a couch gaming night, playing Overcooked with four controllers until 2AM

Ended up going with overcooked. Suddenly, it was 3 AM.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thank you for getting me to give KOTOR a second chance, I'm about halfway now and it is indeed a cool game. I got used to the controls and now I actually kind of like them, except that you turn like a goddamn truck. But that's a console port for you.

You guys should have told me to spec into melee/lightsabers, though. I went full blaster so as to avoid the cliché, but it's becoming obvious that a lightsaber would have been more effective than my repeating blaster build. Also the melee-based NPCs are kind of lame as characters.

BTW it's extremely obvious that the protagonist and Batista Ballista Bastila are going to bang at the end.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kotor is not a challenging game unless you crank the difficulty up and invest in guns. Even the designated gun characters are more effective if you just slap their blasters away and hand them a sword. Kotor 2 massively improves on the combat system and has more animations for poo poo to boot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Thank you for getting me to give KOTOR a second chance, I'm about halfway now and it is indeed a cool game. I got used to the controls and now I actually kind of like them, except that you turn like a goddamn truck. But that's a console port for you.

You guys should have told me to spec into melee/lightsabers, though. I went full blaster so as to avoid the cliché, but it's becoming obvious that a lightsaber would have been more effective than my repeating blaster build. Also the melee-based NPCs are kind of lame as characters.

BTW it's extremely obvious that the protagonist and Batista Ballista Bastila are going to bang at the end.
Thats not the only extremely obvious plot twist tbh

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Phlegmish posted:

I highly recommend you play KOTOR 2 as well, it has a much more interesting and complex story (to the point it can be difficult to catch some plot points without spending a great deal of time in long conversation trees) and also some better new gameplay options as well that make non-lightsaber more feasible. I like it much more than 1. I also don't feel the cut content replacement mods are necessary but some people are big fans of them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The problem with the cut content mods is that they indiscriminately restore stuff, so you get a mix of genuinely interesting or worthwhile sections alongside things that were cut for a reason. I think it's a net improvement but it's worth noting.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Phlegmish posted:

This is going to be a really broad question, but I'm wondering if there are any Western RPGs I haven't played yet that I really should. It can be old-school isometric, first-person, open world, whatever. I've played the Baldur's Gate series, the Divinity series, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, every Witcher game, the Fallout series, all the Elder Scrolls games starting with Morrowind, Pillars of Eternity and VtM: Bloodlines. I also have Tyranny wishlisted.

You could check out Spiderweb Games, ie The Avernum, Avadon, and Geneforge Series.

The Eschalon series.

Xulima.

Knights of the Chalice.

Antharion.

(All turn-based combat.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monk E
May 19, 2009
So I just ended up digging out my old ds because apparently the ds version of battle network 5 isn't 3ds compatible and figured I might as well take advantage of the newfound knowledge that my ds survived years of abandonment any notable obscure game boy advance rpgs you can recommend only really developed more of a taste for them as I got older so I the only ones I played back then were pokemon and battle network.