Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Another perspective like "eh maybe not as weird as portrayed by Jones, etc" or just another POV? Hoping the latter but I'm gonna check it out

they both went in together on the same night and saw all the same stuff. Jon is a much more grounded dude and thought it was just rich guys doing goofy poo poo, while Alex was convinced it was satanic worship. it's really funny to compare their experiences of the same thing.

also there's a funny story about Alex pretending to dress / act preppy to get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
alex jones and breitbart are now the main source of information (to the explicit exclusion of all others) for millions of americans; cool world

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
https://vid.me/yERt?utm_content=buffer0a9fc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Haverchuck posted:

alex jones and breitbart are now the main source of information (to the explicit exclusion of all others) for millions of americans; cool world

This owns

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CortezFantastic posted:

Alex really trying to both expand the pizzagate mythos but also try to distance his part in it was maddening with zero push back from Rogan.

He does that really annoying thing of "I don't want to admit any wrongdoing. So I'm going to double down instead."

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Them is a great read.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Still haven't watched the Alex Jones episode. Not sure if I will, it sounds awful.

Pete Holmes is on today though. He's pretty cool.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Dirt posted:

Still haven't watched the Alex Jones episode. Not sure if I will, it sounds awful.

lol

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

Dirt posted:

:catdrugs:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I like how Alex was so hammered at the end he wanted Eddie to full power punch him in what I assume was his hand, and then tries to tell Joe it's not a big deal when Joe realizes they're getting way too drunk to go on.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dirt posted:

I watched about 15-20min today and it was going well. I'll listen to the full episode tomorrow

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Is there a Church thread or is it here? Apparently Joey is doing acid tonight. I love the guy and don't know what to expect... could be a good thing, could be a bad thing. Has he done this kind of the before?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
He did shrooms on multiple occasions with Lee live on the podcast. Honestly I wouldn't have known he was on them if he hadn't said it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It's weird listening to two podcasters meet when you understand them better than they understand each other. No Joe! Pete was being sarcastic- you don't need to take the conversation there! Oh Pete, Joe is asking you to explain, this is your cue.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

WaterIsPoison posted:

Eddie Bravo is worse than Redban.

Told all of you.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Eddie Bravo has no redeeming qualities. Redban has at least made me laugh a few times.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Eddie is insufferable even when talking bjj, he's just the worst.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Eddie is poison for podcasts, give him any kind of platform and he will poo poo on it. EBI is pretty good though.

I don't mind Pete Holmes, let's have a look at what the internet has to say about him on JRE - "libtard cuck cuck vegan cuck muslim rape". Well okay then.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Alex Jones was awesome except for Eddie trampling him. He'd make a nutty statement and, before he could follow it up, they'd be babbling over top of him. Just shut up and let the insanity wash over you like a wave.

well why not posted:

I'm only halfway through and we've had moonbases, chemtrails, HAARP, global warming, Bill Gates weather machines, Election frauds, Pizzagate. It's the most dense thing I've ever heard. His breadth of interest is pretty wide, he seems to recall seemingly obscure stuff (maybe true) from years and years ago.

Edit: WTF he just recalled an article / subsection number in conversation ?!

I wish I could find the clip of him admitting that he was so engrossed in reading some (George Washington?) archive that he pissed in the trash can in his office so he wouldn't have to get up and got yelled at by his wife. The guy's a turbo sperg but he's also a master manipulator. The way he can effortlessly craft a narrative out of half-truths that's custom made for whatever audience he's trying to reach is otherworldly. Even Infowars the show is hilarious because he'll frontload it with things that sound kind of reasonable because he knows the curious idiots won't make it through a full three hour show and then he'll pander hardcore to his true believers. The way he uses language changes over the course of a show and even the segments will change from talking head news segments to almost pro wrestling style promos that can go anywhere.

It's the weirdest drat thing.

(oh man, I just made it to the point where Rogan quotes some guy saying 'Human beings are the sex organs of the machine world' and you can hear Jones sigh in disgust. Joe can't even comprehend what he's trying to say. Jones is swinging for the fences trying to make a real impression on Rogan's audience while Rogan's just trying to do pot talk)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Another great part of the Jonescast was whatever that long euphemism Eddie learned for CHEMTRAILS since he seems to be aware at this point of how crazy someone sounds when yelling CHEMTRAILS!!! at people.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Do Rogan's meathead segment like Eddie? Does Rogan even seem to enjoy Eddie being there?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Do Rogan's meathead segment like Eddie? Does Rogan even seem to enjoy Eddie being there?

As a meathead segment of his audience I only like Eddie during fight companions when he can explain something high level that is happening during a UFC fight. All other times I wish they would just mute his mic.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

beep by grandpa posted:

CHEMTRAILS since he seems to be aware at this point of how crazy someone sounds when yelling CHEMTRAILS!!! at people.

https://twitter.com/hateshaliek/status/829097929080123392/video/1

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

it's a gay bomb, baby

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
Alex Jones said on his show that he talked to Joe recently and said the ep911 is already the #1 downloaded JRE episode. Also said that itunes had taken the episode down for a while the first couple of days and thats never happened before. He also claimed that youtube took it off the "trending" list.

Infowars are real, people. We have the documentation. Itunes and youtube are psychic vampyres trying to enslave us all.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Turn the frick-en frogs-gay

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
During the #911 livestream there were something like 65k viewers when I looked, which is about 4x the number I've seen for any other episode. I would expect a huge number of downloads as well, maybe Joe or Jamie will mention it on an upcoming episode.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Joe said at the end of today's episode it's had 10 million downloads so far. He also said recently all his podcasts had 90 million downloads last month.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

He must be making a fortune off his podcast. 90 million is insane.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Aren't most of the ads for his own company though? And he has them all before/after so I can't imagine advertisers paying top dollar knowing that most people just skip past them.

Still, that's pretty nuts. I wonder how much some other podcasts get.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I think he said once that he makes more off the podcast than his UFC gig. I imagine the UFC gig pays a nice amount.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dirt posted:

I think he said once that he makes more off the podcast than his UFC gig. I imagine the UFC gig pays a nice amount.

I have no idea how that's possible or how a podcast business model with no subscription/premium option for the audience is so lucrative but seriously good on him since he clearly loves podcasting. nice.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I wonder what 1 million downloads translates to in terms of dubious brain pill and monkey kettle bell sales.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Eight.

I heard Joe try shush Alex Jones when he started mentioning the numbers.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Harminoff posted:

Aren't most of the ads for his own company though? And he has them all before/after so I can't imagine advertisers paying top dollar knowing that most people just skip past them.

Still, that's pretty nuts. I wonder how much some other podcasts get.

The only company that's his is Onnit. I think the Caveman Coffee ad is just for a friend.

I wonder if his advertisers (aside from the above two) pay him for each advertisement he reads, or if he just gets a percentage of the sales that he drives to his advertisers based on his unique codes/URLs. Either way he must be making multiple thousands from each episode.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Joe's definitely living comfortably, between podcast money, UFC stuff and royalties from Fear Factor / Newsradio he probably doesn't need to work much.

90 Million downloads is insane. I wonder if he'll break a billion in total this year or the next.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
What other podcasts have been around as long or have nearly as many episodes?

Gotta imagine his has to be up there in terms of longevity and amount of content

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

UYD's gotta be in the 500s or 600s by now. They've been 'castin since 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

UYD's gotta be in the 500s or 600s by now. They've been 'castin since 2006.
Yeah there are quite a few podcasts up there in episode numbers. It's pretty arbitrary.
You just gotta live a life worth podcasting about.