Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jedit posted:

And Corbyn should be fighting on that basis: that May has no mandate to broker a deal which takes us out of the single market. This is something the Tories couldn't legitimately protest and would shore up the assertion that Labour want what is best for Britain as well as respecting the will of the people. But he isn't. He's letting her do as she pleases because it's easier.

I think even the people who still support Corbyn (including me) would agree that the execution of the whole thing has been handled pretty badly, even if you agree in the principle with "support soft Brexit but hammer the Tories on the details". I think not sounding out the membership first on the impact of a three line whip was a pretty major error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Maybe he had a migraine?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

TinTower posted:

I get 18%. Labour are on 30% with Remain voters.

I'd be interested in seeing new VI figures after the bill. Might have turned off a lot of Remain/Labour voters.

The most important bill possibly since the Human Rights Act.

There's also the Snoopers Charter, where the former head of Liberty failed to vote against…

You really need to stop quoting "headline" numbers when don't knows are high. This is why so many people misinterpreted key polls in the US election.

18% of remain voters weighted by likelihood excluding WNV/DK isn't the same as 18% of remain voters and carries a much higher margin of error.

Nevertheless the Lib Dem strategy is such a success that more remain voters still want to vote Conservative rather than Lib Dem.

Edit: lol you couldn't read the headline chart right even. Con is on 30% and Lab 35%.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Stop pretending you understand what those terms you are using mean.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The polls in the American election were actually relatively accurate in predicting Clinton's popular vote share.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Like, let's actually cut through the bullshit here. Dancing around don't knows and likely voter models is unimportant (though you are still doing it laughably wrong).

The key question here is actually 'what counts as a successful/failed strategy'? I'm not asking this rhetorically.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
You're a Liberal. If we cut through the bullshit, what's left?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Saith posted:

You're a Liberal. If we cut through the bullshit, what's left?

Snarky asides, I guess.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Fangz posted:

Well, like, I said, the fiscal rule stuff. Labour's adopted the position, contrary to all economic sense, that governments need to commit to deficit balancing.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/08/01/a-note-to-john-mcdonnells-economic-adviser-on-fiscal-rules-and-their-desirability/

So once the tax take reduces due to Brexit (and note that tax take reduction here is *not* cyclical), Labour's own fiscal rule means spending must be constrained. Labour will doubtlessly try to push for a balanced program of tax increases and spending cuts (like Osborne's punishment budget) but this will be rejected, and then we'll be in a pretty fair approximation of the brexit situation where the only way to stick to Labour's own rule would be to vote in favour of the Tory austerity plan.

I would expect, and most people would red line, that corbyn committs to 75% tax rate on plus 100k well before he even looks at spending cuts

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Fangz posted:

Stop pretending you understand what those terms you are using mean.

Go on then, "educate" me this'll be a laugh.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

TinTower posted:

The polls in the American election were actually relatively accurate in predicting Clinton's popular vote share.

Nationally yes but on on a state level no. The distribution of DKs and their demographics goes a long way to predicting the actual result more accurately.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

if corbyn's support removed immediately from the a50 bill, would it make any difference?

would it make any difference to the outcome if he whipped against?

If so and only if so can you reasonably say he "propped them up". A rock holding a door open is propping it. If you take the rock away and the door doesnt budge, it wasn't propping it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Spangly A posted:

if corbyn's support removed immediately from the a50 bill, would it make any difference?

would it make any difference to the outcome if he whipped against?

If so and only if so can you reasonably say he "propped them up". A rock holding a door open is propping it. If you take the rock away and the door doesnt budge, it wasn't propping it.

I look forward to Labour voting with the government on every bill they can push through, then.

This is a pretty poo poo argument whichever way you feel about Labour and Brexit.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Go on then, "educate" me this'll be a laugh.

Nationally yes but on on a state level no. The distribution of DKs and their demographics goes a long way to predicting the actual result more accurately.

For a start, what do you mean by this.

Or actually, explain what 'margin of error' means to you.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I look forward to Labour voting with the government on every bill they can push through, then.

This is a pretty poo poo argument whichever way you feel about Labour and Brexit.

no, we have a pretty poo poo government

Fangz posted:

undecided voters still vote and massively outnumber the educated. Their likelihood to vote and the constituency they are in, if calculated, combine to form a better reading of the climate than raw decideds. Anyone who has "decided" to be a tory is clearly a loving idiot. Most people just tag along because the tories they know are abrasive loudmouths

Fangz posted:

are you defending statistical methods that arbitrarily exclude the larger parts of their sample?

anyone who would defend government modelling with words that belong in mathematics is dense af

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 9, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Spangly A posted:

no, we have a pretty poo poo government

undecided voters still vote and massively outnumber the educated. Their likelihood to vote and the constituency they are in, if calculated, combine to form a better reading of the climate than raw decideds. Anyone who has "decided" to be a tory is clearly a loving idiot. Most people just tag along because the tories they know are abrasive loudmouths

Congratulations, this is why you look at the headline figures that make use of voter likelihood models.

quote:

are you defending statistical methods that arbitrarily exclude the larger parts of their sample?

No, *you are*. If you are trumpeting raw values for a party as a percentage of votes with the denominator including undecideds then you are making the very strong assumption that undecided voters don't vote.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 9, 2017

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Fangz posted:

Essentially that because a large number of the undecideds (of which there was a lot more than your average US election) in the states that Trump picked up the most last minute support not accounted for in the final headline results were soft R leaners that the potential variation of Trump's performance was higher and skewed towards outperforming the poll number.

Fangz posted:

It's how close we expect the actual result to be given a certain likelihood.

Fangz posted:

Congratulations, this is why you look at the headline figures that make use of voter likelihood models.

The headline figures exclude don't knows they don't apply any model to them. My point is that even if the likelihood weights are very accurate on average they still add variance to the model. Excluding don't knows also adds variance and afaik no pollster publishes results trying to model how those voters might break.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Private Speech posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most government bills don't have the weight of a referendum behind them though

Does anyone know how the Colombian government's decision to ignore the result of the FARC referendum and sign a peace treaty anyway went?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Essentially that because a large number of the undecideds (of which there was a lot more than your average US election) in the states that Trump picked up the most last minute support not accounted for in the final headline results were soft R leaners that the potential variation of Trump's performance was higher and skewed towards outperforming the poll number.

Incorrect. The undecideds were accounted for, but they were accounted for poorly (they used past elections as precedent, but turns out the past wasn't a great guide). The undecideds introduced additional unexpected variability into the system, but the whole point of variability - especially ones without a lot of precedent - is that you can't use the undecideds to generate better predictions.

quote:

It's how close we expect the actual result to be given a certain likelihood.

Nope. It's an estimate of the inherent variability of the results on repeated sampling subject to assumptions. Voter likelihood methods and demographic reweighting are introduced to *reduce* the contribution of sampling variation to MoE.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Fangz posted:

No, *you are*. If you are trumpeting raw values for a party as a percentage of votes with the denominator including undecideds then you are making the very strong assumption that undecided voters don't vote.

no I'm the one saying that raw values are dumb

Fangz posted:

Nope. It's an estimate of the inherent variability of the results on repeated sampling subject to assumptions. Voter likelihood methods and demographic reweighting are introduced to *reduce* the contribution of sampling variation to MoE.

are you trained in probability?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Spangly A posted:

Okay cool. The other guy is an idiot.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Spangly A posted:

are you trained in probability?

I'm a professional statistician yeah

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Most polls in the final week had Clinton winning the popular vote by 2-4%.

She won the popular vote by 2.1%.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Fangz posted:

As a lazy hypothetical, is there actually a point at which Corbyn would be perceived to have crossed some kind of red line for people?

At this point he could probably murder babies in their sleep and people would claim that these are babies being brought up under the oppressive yoke of capitalism and that killing them is a mercy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hillary lost horrifically and is probably one of the worst to ever attempt a run at the office. Corbyn finished.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TinTower posted:

Most polls in the final week had Clinton winning the popular vote by 2-4%.

She won the popular vote by 2.1%.

did she win the presidency

Yorkshire Tea posted:

At this point he could probably murder babies in their sleep and people would claim that these are babies being brought up under the oppressive yoke of capitalism and that killing them is a mercy.

I'd be ok with him going herod yes

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Hillary lost horrifically and is probably one of the worst to ever attempt a run at the office. Corbyn finished.

Getting more votes for president than any white man in history = losing horrifically, gotcha.

Spangly A posted:

did she win the presidency

She won the popular vote by a margin the polls suggested she would.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Does anyone know how the Colombian government's decision to ignore the result of the FARC referendum and sign a peace treaty anyway went?

Last BBC article I read suggested that the UN were expecting the last of the FARC rebels to enter a designated zone by yesterday, I think.
In the meantime, the government have started negotiations with the second-largest group of rebels.

Because in some countries, the government realises that the populace are stupid, inbred ratarses and should be ignored for their own safety.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Goddamn do I not want to have a Hillary debate ever again.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Fangz posted:

Incorrect. The undecideds were accounted for, but they were accounted for poorly (they used past elections as precedent, but turns out the past wasn't a great guide). The undecideds introduced additional unexpected variability into the system, but the whole point of variability - especially ones without a lot of precedent - is that you can't use the undecideds to generate better predictions.

That's a very strong claim and strange to make. I would wager that past voting behaviour is indicative of which way an undecided might break. Also you could just ask them what way they lean. Any model that used the proportion undecideds to increase the variance of it's estimates even if it didn't move the means would be arguably more accurate than one that didn't. Otherwise you're basically claiming that a poll of 100 people with 0 undecideds has the same variance in its estimate as a poll of 1000 people with 900 undecideds.

Fangz posted:

How is what you're saying any different from saying it is how far our sampled estimate is expected to be from the population parameter a given proportion of the time? It basically sounds like you know some stats and have just memorised some frequentist terminology and don't actually get what I'm saying.

Of course likelihood models and weightings are designed to reduce variance - but they don't eliminate it. There's no reason why you couldn't estimate the variation of your weightings based on the statistics of the demographic weight changes when you recalibrate them. You're being overly simplistic by talking about poll results as if they're just a statistical sampling problem as opposed to being a part of a larger probabilistic model which itself has variability and also includes non-determinism in human behaviour.

Edit: Maybe the easiest way to explain the general point is this: A binomial distribution does not have the same variance as a beta-binomial distribution. Headline polling figures are a result of a complex hierarchical model and therefore the nature of the variance of its estimates is also complex but not impossible to model .

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 9, 2017

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TinTower posted:

Getting more votes for president than any white man in history = losing horrifically, gotcha.

SHE LOST TO DONALD TRUMP

kingturnip posted:

Last BBC article I read suggested that the UN were expecting the last of the FARC rebels to enter a designated zone by yesterday, I think.
In the meantime, the government have started negotiations with the second-largest group of rebels.

Because in some countries, the government realises that the populace are stupid, inbred ratarses and should be ignored for their own safety.

glorious

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TinTower posted:

it might surprise you to learn that populations increase over time and as such there are more people to vote. shocking i know.

lol donald trump won

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

This thread is really showing the truth of that Labour polling which said position on Brexit was more important than previous party loyalty.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

namesake posted:

This thread is really showing the truth of that Labour polling which said position on Brexit was more important than previous party loyalty.

every person with a single braincell realises that this is worth way more than 5 years political capital/economic consequences

if it could be stopped it would be, but it can't, because nobody in charge wants to, because they're filthy, self-serving animals

so idk let's just roll with it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

On the general point that polls suck especially in the UK system, I totally agree. But they are pretty much the only data we have at this point, and we need to be very careful about the temptation to throw out data because their conclusions are inconvenient. Also people who ridiculously mishandle the data suck.

The general picture of Con > Lab > LD = UKIP looks pretty good, so is the story that Lab is going down and LD is going up. Is the percentage Lab is going up and LD going down 'a lot', well that's a qualitative assessment that is pretty boring. On the question of how this will change over the next election, who the gently caress knows, I don't think things look good for labour.

That's a very strong claim and strange to make. I would wager that past voting behaviour is indicative of which way an undecided might break. Also you could just ask them what way they lean. Any model that used the proportion undecideds to increase the variance of it's estimates even if it didn't move the means would be arguably more accurate than one that didn't. Otherwise you're basically claiming that a poll of 100 people with 0 undecideds has the same variance in its estimate as a poll of 1000 people with 900 undecideds.

This is just word garbage.

Yes, you can use assumptions on how undecideds vote to estimate the final result, also using prior voting data. Each company does this their own way. 'Increase the variance of its estimates... is more accurate' is just handwavy gibberish. Of course I don't claim that a "poll of 100 people with 0 undecideds has the same variance in its estimate as a poll of 1000 people with 900 undecideds".

quote:

How is what you're saying any different from saying it is how far our sampled estimate is expected to be from the population parameter a given proportion of the time? It basically sounds like you know some stats and have just memorised some frequentist terminology and don't actually get what I'm saying.

It basically sounds like you are an idiot. This is the fundamental difference between between frequentist and bayesian stats, kid.

Also just between us, MoE estimates from polling companies are generally bullshit, but hey, whatever.

None of this says talking about raw values is better than talking about the headline values.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 9, 2017

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Fangz posted:

On the general point that polls suck especially in the UK system, I totally agree. But they are pretty much the only data we have at this point, and we need to be very careful about the temptation to throw out data because their conclusions are inconvenient. Also people who ridiculously mishandle the data suck.

The general picture of Con > Lab > LD = UKIP looks pretty good, so is the story that Lab is going down and LD is going up. Is the percentage Lab is going up and LD going down 'a lot', well that's a qualitative assessment that is pretty boring. On the question of how this will change over the next election, who the gently caress knows, I don't think things look good for labour.

This is just word garbage.

Yes, you can use assumptions on how undecideds vote to estimate the final result, also using prior voting data. Each company does this their own way. 'Increase the variance of its estimates... is more accurate' is just handwavy gibberish. Of course I don't claim that a "poll of 100 people with 0 undecideds has the same variance in its estimate as a poll of 1000 people with 900 undecideds".

It basically sounds like you are an idiot. This is the fundamental difference between between frequentist and bayesian stats, kid.

Also just between us, MoE estimates from polling companies are generally bullshit, but hey, whatever.
You missed my edit so here it is:

Maybe the easiest way to explain the general point is this: A binomial distribution does not have the same variance as a beta-binomial distribution. Headline polling figures are a result of a complex hierarchical model and therefore the nature of the variance of its estimates is also complex but not impossible to model.

Your position appears to be that these things cannot be understood and therefore we shouldn't bother and just ignore them.

And of course a model is more accurate if it has more variance when estimating an uncertain event than a more certain one. This mistake is why so many crappy polling aggregates gave Clinton a 99% chance of winning.

Also lol if you're literally one of those "bayesians are idiots" people.

Fangz posted:

None of this says talking about raw values is better than talking about the headline values.

The 2nd page values aren't "raw" they're still demographically weighted. What I'm saying is that you can't interpret the headline results correctly without also looking at the 2nd page results because it gives you lots of information about potential variability in the estimate.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 9, 2017

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Fangz posted:

I love calling people stupid because we're all idiots but I have weird sympathies for not understanding bayesian stats, I failed my first two assignments at uni before it clicked

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You missed my edit so here it is:

Maybe the easiest way to explain the general point is this: A binomial distribution does not have the same variance as a beta-binomial distribution. Headline polling figures are a result of a complex hierarchical model and therefore the nature of the variance of its estimates is also complex but not impossible to model.

Your position appears to be that these things cannot be understood and therefore we shouldn't bother and just ignore them.

And of course a model is more accurate if it has more variance when estimating an uncertain event than a more certain one. This mistake is why so many crappy polling aggregates gave Clinton a 99% chance of winning.

No, my position is that we should use the headline values which represent the polling company's attempt to correct for all sources of error using demographic data and voter intention data which they do not otherwise make generally accessible. Rather than... what, exactly?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Fangz posted:

No, my position is that we should use the headline values which represent the polling company's attempt to correct for all sources of error using demographic data and voter intention data which they do not otherwise make generally accessible. Rather than... what, exactly?

I'm saying we should use all the information instead of making retarded conclusions from just the headline numbers like TinTower and the commentariat do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

data that hides its sources and methods isnt good data and bad data is worse than no data

• Locked thread