Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Spatula City posted:

John Wick is not the action movie we deserve, but it's the one we need. It is dropped in somehow from a better Earth, from a reality where Hollywood action movies are good and clean and rad and powerful and Keanu Reeves is in his rightful place as an action star.

Between John Wick and Man of Tai Chi, I like to think Keanu's on an upswing. I really want to see him do more directing, I think with his experience, he could do some more really good action and martial arts films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The dude who did the Italian dub Clint Eastwood for all the Dollars films, and presumably all other films, was mostly known for doing bible films before that. So in Italy the Man With No Name and Jesus Christ have the same voice.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

AlexF posted:

[awesome German dub stories]

Thank you for not just answering my question but also sharing that with us. I enjoyed it very much. I think the reason for that is because live-action dubbing is uncommon in The Netherlands (making it very fascinating). And when it happens it's all shows and movies aimed at children.

This is the article that inspired that question BTW (a great read if you want more foreign VO stories): https://medium.com/matter/what-it-takes-to-be-the-french-jennifer-lawrence-9177abe68534#.m8sr5quq0

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why not just use subs? That's what I prefer, so I hear the real voice and the original actor's inflection during a scene.

I wish someone would greenlight a modern version of Emperor of the North.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

got any sevens posted:

Why not just use subs? That's what I prefer, so I hear the real voice and the original actor's inflection during a scene.

For me it's because subs don't sound like anything beyond noise. But I only speak English and a smattering of very rusty Spanish so that's the reason

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So does Danneberg do a cartoonishly American-accented voice for Schwarzenegger in German or what?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In the German dub of the Simpsons the German Exchange Student is Swiss.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the German dub of the Simpsons the German Exchange Student is Swiss.

He does love chocolate so that works.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

TetsuoTW posted:

So does Danneberg do a cartoonishly American-accented voice for Schwarzenegger in German or what?

I wish. But it's actually super serious and an example of how dubbing doesn't always make things worse.

Same goes for Voelz / Reeves btw. I seriously love Keanu but we all know how wooden his delivery often is. Voelz on the other hand has some serious acting chops and, most of the time, elevates Reeves performance to another level. So many people in our company were shocked when we screened Wick 2 internally in English and they heard his original voice for the first time. It's just a tad below what you're used to when you've only known Reeves' German voice before.

So what I'm saying is: The German dub is the way to go with John Wick.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This got tweeted out by the twitter account for The Great Wall before being hastily deleted: https://streamable.com/o2vcc

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

got any sevens posted:

How well subs work kind of depends on how fast paced the movie is, and then still there's some people who can't stand them.

After 10 hours of The Killing the subs kind of faded away and I felt like I could understand Danish.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

AlexF posted:

I wish. But it's actually super serious and an example of how dubbing doesn't always make things worse.

Same goes for Voelz / Reeves btw. I seriously love Keanu but we all know how wooden his delivery often is. Voelz on the other hand has some serious acting chops and, most of the time, elevates Reeves performance to another level. So many people in our company were shocked when we screened Wick 2 internally in English and they heard his original voice for the first time. It's just a tad below what you're used to when you've only known Reeves' German voice before.

Do German actors in Hollywood movies get to do their own dub if they ask? Like if Christoph Waltz rolled up and wanted to dub Django Unchained would that be a thing?

The only time I remember hearing about it was when Arnold wanted to do his own dub for a movie and he was basically told that, being Austrian and from that particular area of Austria, he sounded like a farmer when he spoke German.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tars Tarkas posted:

This got tweeted out by the twitter account for The Great Wall before being hastily deleted: https://streamable.com/o2vcc

I wonder if that's a WIP shot or if it's actually in the movie. Because if it's the latter I might actually want to spend two hours to see it while it's still in glorious IMAX 3D.

got any sevens posted:

Dubbing live-action movies in countries like France and Germany has been a thing for more than half a century. At this point it's not about what is practical or accurate, it's just what they are used to. It's like asking Americans to use Celsius or asking Brits why they don't drive on the right side of the road.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 9, 2017

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

MrBling posted:

Do German actors in Hollywood movies get to do their own dub if they ask? Like if Christoph Waltz rolled up and wanted to dub Django Unchained would that be a thing?

Waltz has been dubbing himself in pretty much everything, yeah. And he's quite good at it. Can't say that about everyone (Julie Engelbrecht was...interesting).

Most German speaking actors have a clause in their contract that you have to ask them first if they want to dub themselves. If they say yes you have to give them a realistic timeframe in which they have to record their lines. If they are not available during that timeframe you are free to cast another voice actor for the role.

Some US actors have the same clause but for a certain German voice actor. Jodie Foster, for example, knows the woman who's dubbing her quite well and insists on asking her first for every movie she's in. And as far as I can remember she's had that voice in pretty much everything I ever saw with her.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

It's been taken down, what was it?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

A clip with a CGi creature that looked very unfinished despite the film having been out for months in some markets. All I can find now is this still image

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
/\ /\ /\ What the gently caress?

AlexF posted:

I don't have any stories as good as yours, but I do know that Hong Kong films were often shot wild, with no sound at all, and everything was done later. There was a particular actor, Danny Lee (who you might remember as the cop from 'The Killer') who spent first 10 or 15 years of his career without any audience hearing his voice, as it was deemed too high pitched.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So, who greenlighted this apparently serious drama with Arnold Schwarzenegger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBrkK-ZnI0

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

/\ /\ /\ What the gently caress?

I don't have any stories as good as yours, but I do know that Hong Kong films were often shot wild, with no sound at all, and everything was done later. There was a particular actor, Danny Lee (who you might remember as the cop from 'The Killer') who spent first 10 or 15 years of his career without any audience hearing his voice, as it was deemed too high pitched.
I def. remember some of the big hype around Hitman back in 1998 being "holy poo poo Jet Li isn't being dubbed for this drat have you heard what he actually sounds like?" IIRC it was a combination of his Cantonese not being very good and his voice being too wussy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

I def. remember some of the big hype around Hitman back in 1998 being "holy poo poo Jet Li isn't being dubbed for this drat have you heard what he actually sounds like?" IIRC it was a combination of his Cantonese not being very good and his voice being too wussy.

He does have a weird voice for a leading man. And the Expendables taught us that he also has a really awkward throw. I meant to link to a gif, but I can only find 'Jet Li throw pillows' which is apparently a thing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

I'm very curious about this one. It could be terrible schmaltz, but Arnold looks like he's holding it together well.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I thought he was pretty good in Maggie, maybe he just feels he wants to go for dramatic roles as he gets older.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

MrBling posted:

The only time I remember hearing about it was when Arnold wanted to do his own dub for a movie and he was basically told that, being Austrian and from that particular area of Austria, he sounded like a farmer when he spoke German.

Most Germans would need subtitles to understand the Styrian dialect. Although Schwarzenegger can speak nearly flawless English and High German if he wants, but for his image the broad accent (English) and dialect (German) is what he uses except in very rare instances.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tars Tarkas posted:

A clip with a CGi creature that looked very unfinished despite the film having been out for months in some markets. All I can find now is this still image

i can't tell from the image, but i do recall the cgi for the creature is Not Good

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

I thought he was pretty good in Maggie, maybe he just feels he wants to go for dramatic roles as he gets older.

This one looks interesting. It's probably high time he picked some less-demanding roles as he's pushing 70 this year. Scoot McNairy is quite good, too.

I hope Arnold gets an Oscar one day. A real one - he's probably a shoe-in for a lifetime achievement at this stage. I also liked his drama beard.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

well why not posted:

This one looks interesting. It's probably high time he picked some less-demanding roles as he's pushing 70 this year. Scoot McNairy is quite good, too.

I hope Arnold gets an Oscar one day. A real one - he's probably a shoe-in for a lifetime achievement at this stage. I also liked his drama beard.

I think him shifting into Eastwood-ish late career dramas or thrillers is the best thing for him. He's charming enough to pull it off and they're way less physically demanding, obviously.

Agree 100% about his beard too.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

got any sevens posted:

I prefer subs myself, but they have their own problems too. I've translated some subtitles for a few older Chinese-language movies, and sometimes it's a real struggle to fit the entirety of what's being communicated into the tiny-rear end amount of space and time available. It's probably less of a problem where the languages are more closely related, but even so.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Well movies are a visual medium first and foremost, theoretically they shouldn't really need words. That's what books are for.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

got any sevens posted:

Well movies are a visual medium first and foremost, theoretically they shouldn't really need words. That's what books are for.

I'd say audio is just as important in modern film, but this does hit on what bugs me about subtitles: they take the visual focus away from what the director/cinematographer intended. Unless they're put to good/interesting use (like "Nightwatch"), subtitles can be distracting (so can bad voice-over work, but it's individual tastes to decide which is more distracting).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Watching Arnold in something serious can be jarring when most of what you see him in recently are Mobile Strike ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOlUeu8rCDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SaIulk25dw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7yaMgee6VY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T94GDql7hk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGlYpkQfk_0

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

well why not posted:

I don't think he's good enough to even get the standard career appreciation Oscar. He just can't carry a dramatic role very well and that's what the academy looks for when they toss someone a "Best Supporting" for their career rather than the actual role. But an honorary award would be cool given the scope of his career.

I can't say I think very much of any of his films since he left government. Even in Maggie which is probably the best film he's done in the past few years, I thought he was a bit lost in the role.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

I dug Maggie, so I think I'll see this.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

AlexF posted:

I've seen John Wick 2 five times now (working on the German dub and all...) and it didn't get old yet. Quite the opposite. There's so much stuff happening and not explicitly spelled out that you'll pick up new things with every viewing. Without spoilering anything: I still don't know how you even begin to put together and then shoot something like the last set piece.

We also got a bump in rating. Part 1 was 16+ and part 2 will be 18+ in Germany (very much comparable to NC 17 stateside), so you all get to look to forward to much more close race face shooting.

Glad to hear some good word on the last set piece, that's where the first movie stumbled.

It's something pretty common in action movies, blowing their load in a setpiece in the middle of the movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://twitter.com/crissles/status/830150270634037248?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pretty good marketing for a sequel to/remake of The Producers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Word is spreading all over town that Disney screened Beauty and the Beast today for a test audience and got 100/100.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

kiimo posted:

Word is spreading all over town that Disney screened Beauty and the Beast today for a test audience and got 100/100.
I think they're probably going to bite off more than they can chew at some point with their live action adaptations, but apparently it's not happening yet.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

kiimo posted:

Dan Stevens futures always a strong invest.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hat Thoughts posted:

Dan Stevens futures always a strong invest.

That FX show look like a butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

weekly font posted:

That FX show look like a butt

It looks dope. Or maybe some other kind drug. The ones that make you see things.

• Locked thread