Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Poque posted:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/fish-bytes/article131662694.html

Apparently a handshake deal is in place for Loria to sell the Marlins. That'd be amazing to get him out of the league.

the buyer is a nyc real estate investor who has no cash because all his money is tied up in property. is donald trump buying the marlins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Good Dog posted:

Do you guys remember Homer Bailey and that really dumb contract that the Reds gave him?

In case you're wondering its still really dumb.

Over the last 2 years he's earned more than 800k per inning pitched.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

is donald trump buying the marlins?

He'd still be a better owner than loria

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've been waiting to hear that news for like a decade so I hope it works out.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

IcePhoenix posted:

He'd still be a better owner than loria

seems like republicans are fond of electing presidents who would have been better in baseball.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Good Dog posted:

Do you guys remember Homer Bailey and that really dumb contract that the Reds gave him?

In case you're wondering its still really dumb.

I distinctly remember getting poo poo on these very forums for saying that contract was absurd when it happened.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

I distinctly remember getting poo poo on these very forums for saying that contract was absurd when it happened.

xie posted:

I'd much rather pay Bailey 6/100 than 3/24 for Hughes to put it in a different context. Or 5/63 if Garza's option vests.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like Bailey's contract wasn't a huge overpayment at the time he signed it but it looks really bad now that his arm has withered and died.

lesson: never sign pitchers to long term deals

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ooooh, I just saw Bruce Chen is pitching for China in the WBC.

I suddenly care a lot more about the WBC.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sweet swingin sammy fuld is playing for Israel's squad of washed up american jews along with Gabe Kapler

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

New Concept Hole posted:

If it always ended in a position player pitching it would all be worth it. What we really need is a ban on managers who aren't letting this happen.

I think the solution is that in extras, only position players can pitch.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Lumpy posted:

An intense bidding war breaks out over Jeff Francoeur.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Lumpy posted:

and only pitchers can bat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Don't know if it was mentioned in the pace of play chat earlier, but apparently the rule placing an automatic runner on second base in extras will be in place for the WBC and is going to be further tested in the AFL/minors this season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

so a Suck-off, then

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Travis Wood immediately becomes the most sought after FA in baseball for his ability to hit well, pitch, and play LF, making him the ultimate extra innings ringer.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/829716635099480064

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

IcePhoenix posted:

so a Suck-off, then

Maybe in the AL. Pitcher dingers own in the NL

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Godspeed Str8edge Racer

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nail Rat posted:

Sure, the other 289 at bats between them suck pretty hard though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nail Rat posted:

Pitcher dongs are the #1 reason against the DH.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

Don't know if it was mentioned in the pace of play chat earlier, but apparently the rule placing an automatic runner on second base in extras will be in place for the WBC and is going to be further tested in the AFL/minors this season.

does this mean a mandatory pinch runner so you lose a guy from your batting order, or is the last batter just the automatic runner?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Sydin posted:

This will start in the 11th inning rather than the 10th, and will actually be runners on first and second. The runners will be the two guys ahead of the guy leading off, so if the #4 hitter strikes out to end the 10th, he and the #3 guy will start on the basepaths in the 11th and the #5 guy will bat as usual.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

Some fat dude socking 40 dongs a year over a pitcher laying down a sac bunt is reason for the DH.

ftfy

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The best argument for the DH is Edgar Martinez.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

If I ever have a son I'll need to get the manual for raising him so that he gets to be a baseball player until he gets tired of it before going into stock car racing.

I'd imagine step one would be becoming a hell of a lot more of a redneck than I currently am.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Some Numbers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVFsq9FQBlc

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jordan Walden was trying to make a comeback with the Braves but his shoulder is not where it needs to be so he is not going to ST as planned

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

actually... they're both good, because pitcher dongers own, but also, big fatso dudes hittin dongs also own

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Lol at the idea of having a "handshake deal" with Jeff Loria. Get that poo poo in writing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

actually... they're both good, because pitcher dongers own, but also, big fatso dudes hittin dongs also own

This is why Bartolo hitting a dinger is the best moment in the history of baseball.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Some Numbers posted:

To be honest, if you look after Edgar and prior to Nelson Cruz, the Mariners' DH performance was equal to that of a pitcher:

2014: Corey Hart - .590 OPS / Kendrys Morales - .623 OPS
2013: Kendrys Morales - .785 (Raul Ibanez was on this team at age 41 fyi)
2012: Jesus Montero - .685
2011: Jack Cust - .673
2010: Griffey - .454, so bad he retired midway through the year, and Branyan replaced him at .802
2009: Griffey - .735
2008: Vidro - .612
2007: Vidro - .775
2006: Everett - .658, also, Dinosaurs don't exist
2005 - Ibanez - .792

That's... pretty bad for a pure hitting position!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

I'd say do it after the 11th or so. To start the 10th that way is kind of dumb.

And who would be the runner? Would you have to burn a bench person?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I would agree with having it start in the 11th, so it'd be kind of like how in hockey they do the 5 minute overtime and then they pull out the gimmicky shootout.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Grittybeard posted:

If I ever have a son I'll need to get the manual for raising him so that he gets to be a baseball player until he gets tired of it before going into stock car racing.

I'd imagine step one would be becoming a hell of a lot more of a redneck than I currently am.

The first step is to force him to throw left handed.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

the buyer is a nyc real estate investor who has no cash because all his money is tied up in property. is donald trump buying the marlins?

Oddly, the rumor is that the buyer is Charles Kushner, Ivanka's father in law

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

Oh my God I saw the Trump stuff and was going to jokingly suggest it was actually the Kushners...

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Poque posted:

Start watching for Trump to start mentioning the Marlins in his speeches and in conversations to other people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Most owners are horrible people anyway so as long as he actually puts money into the team I'm good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

Most owners are horrible people anyway so as long as he actually puts money into the team I'm good

It would be a massively leveraged purchase so I don't have much hope for that (also if it gets shot down by the league, this is why.)

• Locked thread