Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The other system that's confusing me is loot. What should I be doing with it: salvage, sell, offering?

Offering if you need amrita to grab a quick level or if you need elixirs.

Salvage for the most part to get materials to craft weapons, so you can pull the slot machine and hopefully craft a rare weapon or armor with really good attributes.

Sell only if you're completely broke and hurting for cash (don't do it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Do I need PS+ to do online stuff in this?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Frankston posted:

Do I need PS+ to do online stuff in this?

Yas

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ethanol posted:

So any reports yet, does this game have any missions that aren't brown/grey

Color variety in levels is pretty good. This game's never going to win awards for being a looker but it probably won't tire you with the same-looking levels over and over. For the sub-missions that take place within main missions you've already done they even bother to change the lighting sometimes.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I ordered this monday morning from amazon prime and today they email me that not only will my copy not be delivered today as expected, it won't be delivered till 'march 7th-april 7th'

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I ordered this monday morning from amazon prime and today they email me that not only will my copy not be delivered today as expected, it won't be delivered till 'march 7th-april 7th'

If you had prime 2-day or day-1 guarantee shipping or whatever, call them up, tell them they hosed up, they WILL make good on it. Just get a full refund and go buy it from PSN or your local game store or whatever.

Sucks though, when amazon drops the ball.

Digital is the way to go.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Emalde posted:

https://discord.gg/25cFFs6

Everyone join and come hype out in the channel for the next 30 hours :toot:

Friendly reminder that if you're having trouble, come chat in discord and you can ask for tips or even get a kind goon to sherpa you through the level or boss you're stuck on!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I'm loving sunbroing this game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm really pleased with how viable light armor is in this game. The magic or spirit scaling stuff is easy to get and has really nice defense.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

If you had prime 2-day or day-1 guarantee shipping or whatever, call them up, tell them they hosed up, they WILL make good on it. Just get a full refund and go buy it from PSN or your local game store or whatever.

Sucks though, when amazon drops the ball.

Digital is the way to go.

I'm on the chat with them right now. I'm definitely a prime member, so 2 day is included, but I don't remember if this was guaranteed release date delivery. the order was listed as 'on time, not yet shipped' till this morning, so I'm gonna fight them for it.

Until digital either lets me resell or is 50% cheaper there's zero chance I go that route.

It is entirely sold out in the bay area at walmart/bestbuy/gamestop, and at fry's I clearly won't get the amazon discount.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

When I played the alpha I was turned off by thinking the whole combat system was going to hinge on being able to juggle stance switching and ki pulse.

I finished stage 4 (The Mine) and so far I'm glad that's not always true. I mean, yeah I could be doing more complex fighting but I've been sticking to basic attacks. I don't even use living weapon that often either. Same goes for most of my unlocked weapon combos.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

I'm really pleased with how viable light armor is in this game. The magic or spirit scaling stuff is easy to get and has really nice defense.

Where'd you get Spirit-scaling light armor? I'm doing a Heart/Magic/Spirit build and I've been using medium armor so far, but if I can get some where the defense scales up with stats I'm already increasing, I might as well switch over.

I'm still having a really hard time figuring out if medium armor's damage reduction over light armor is worth either the slower Ki regen or increasing Stamina to stay at A-rank Agility. Heavy armor seems worth it if you go all-in, but I really can't tell if medium is.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Harrow posted:

Where'd you get Spirit-scaling light armor? I'm doing a Heart/Magic/Spirit build and I've been using medium armor so far, but if I can get some where the defense scales up with stats I'm already increasing, I might as well switch over.

I'm still having a really hard time figuring out if medium armor's damage reduction over light armor is worth either the slower Ki regen or increasing Stamina to stay at A-rank Agility. Heavy armor seems worth it if you go all-in, but I really can't tell if medium is.

I'm still in medium and I don't like it. What's a good way to run light armor dodge kama build? I'm high on dex and skill and I actually use ninjutsu, I like it a lot

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

When I played the alpha I was turned off by thinking the whole combat system was going to hinge on being able to juggle stance switching and ki pulse.

I finished stage 4 (The Mine) and so far I'm glad that's not always true. I mean, yeah I could be doing more complex fighting but I've been sticking to basic attacks. I don't even use living weapon that often either. Same goes for most of my unlocked weapon combos.

The game's difficulty has definitely been tuned to be on the light side (much to my chagrin) which means all the fancier skills you can purchase are pretty much just there to play around with and look cool. The basic movesets of each of the weapon classes are solid enough that you can pretty much just stick with them and do fine.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

I've gotten a ton of spirit and magic scaling on no set drops.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phyresis posted:

I'm still in medium and I don't like it. What's a good way to run light armor dodge kama build? I'm high on dex and skill and I actually use ninjutsu, I like it a lot

Light armor requires Body and Skill, so level those up for armor requirements (and you're already leveling Skill anyway). Then just dodge a whole lot and try not to rely on blocking much. Heavier armor has higher Toughness values, which means you can block more attacks before you run out of Ki. Light armor doesn't have much Toughness, so you should only block as a last resort.

Genocyber posted:

The game's difficulty has definitely been tuned to be on the light side (much to my chagrin) which means all the fancier skills you can purchase are pretty much just there to play around with and look cool. The basic movesets of each of the weapon classes are solid enough that you can pretty much just stick with them and do fine.

I'm told things get harder past the halfway point or so, and that the early game just sort of eases you into it. Or have you gotten past that and that isn't true?

I'm at the end of the first region right now and so far the hardest thing was the big fight at the end of the caves sub-mission, where waves of yokai spawn and you have to track down a lute-playing guy or you have to deal with revenants on top of them. That was pretty hectic.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I keep getting amazing swords. But not dual or kurisama. Come on game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Phyresis posted:

If you picked the bird Guardian Spirit it has a bonus that reduces Ki usage for dodges. I've found Scout armor that gives that bonus and similar ones for dashing. In light armor with some of those boosts you can pretty much dance around an enemy, floating like a butterfly before going apeshit like a hornet's nest with a flurry of low attacks. Dropping the occasional point into Stamina will give you some more wiggle room to equip slightly heavier equipment, and since there are some gloves or shoes that weigh like 0.7 pounds more than light armor but give a substantial increase to defense it's nice to be able to take advantage of that without tipping over a weight limit. This might sound like obvious advice but it's almost never worth trying to get the first hit. Let the enemy swing and miss, then punish.

Of course, with enough points into Stamina one should be able to rock a full Medium armor set and still have an A score for Agility.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Genocyber posted:

It feels like equipment is still balanced around the alpha build, though. You can make your character wildly overpowered because of this. My heavy kusarigama combo is doing ~900 damage per hit and bosses lose like a quarter of their health per combo. :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Hopefully high-level play becomes more necessary on the Twilight missions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When it comes to medium armor, I don't necessarily feel too weighed down by it. My dodges feel fine, and I think my Ki regenerates at a comfortable rate (I do run out sometimes, but that's just because I have a bad habit of over-committing, and no amount of passive regen would help). I just can't tell if its damage reduction is meaningfully more than light armor, or if the Toughness it gives is actually meaningful.

Heavy armor's great. You get a decent amount of damage reduction and loads of Toughness so you can block better. Light armor means you have jack poo poo for Toughness so you shouldn't try to block heavy attacks, but you can dodge farther. Medium sits in between and I still can't figure out if it's a "happy medium" sort of in-between or a "not really good at anything" sort of in-between. Because I still can't block heavy attacks for poo poo, y'know?

Phoix posted:

It feels like equipment is still balanced around the alpha build, though. You can make your character wildly overpowered because of this. My heavy kusarigama combo is doing ~900 damage per hit and bosses lose like a quarter of their health per combo. :v:

I wonder if they just balanced the level curve around players skipping most of the sub missions. Doing sub missions nets you good equipment and a bunch of extra amrita, and it feels like doing even half of the sub missions will get you comfortably ahead of the level and equipment curve.

Anyone who's really far in the game: does it actually start to get harder later on, or does it stay relatively straightforward?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

I keep getting amazing swords. But not dual or kurisama. Come on game.

Break down the swords and craft kusarigama. :)

For those who haven't noticed: you can combine multiple low-level crafting materials into a few high level ones.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Break down the swords and craft kusarigama. :)

For those who haven't noticed: you can combine multiple low-level crafting materials into a few high level ones.

I didn't know that! Which menu lets you do that?

I'm gonna need all the help I can get in my quest to craft a purple Raikiri.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

does anyone have anything to say about fighting revenants or other player type npc enemies? using 1 katana in mid stance most of the time and if I land a hit facing them I can rarely actually combo them. the hits don't put them in enough hitstun to do a real combo. they just start blocking immediately after the first hit lands so the second hit of the combo is blocked. the exception to this is if I manage to circle around them and hit their back

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

pissdude posted:

does anyone have anything to say about fighting revenants or other player type npc enemies? using 1 katana in mid stance most of the time and if I land a hit facing them I can rarely actually combo them. the hits don't put them in enough hitstun to do a real combo. they just start blocking immediately after the first hit lands so the second hit of the combo is blocked. the exception to this is if I manage to circle around them and hit their back

Do you have the Kick move unlocked in your katana skill tree? It lets you hit triangle after swinging your sword a couple times to kick the target, which knocks off a bunch of their Ki and helps you open them up for a grapple attack.

Otherwise, try to dodge through their attacks and to their side, then hit them in the back. And remember that blocking is 360 degrees, for them and for you, so even if they're about to hit you in the side or back, you can block without turning.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I didn't know that! Which menu lets you do that?

I'm gonna need all the help I can get in my quest to craft a purple Raikiri.

Go to Blacksmith -> Forge -> Tools, then press R1 to tab over to the materials section :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

pissdude posted:

Read through the katana skill tree. You have options to break guard. Use them.

Alternatively, just out-stamina them by using ki pulses and blocking when they attack, and just wear them down and then hit them with a crit stab when they're out of stamina.

They have all the same moves you do. If somebody tries to hit you, you block. Same with them. To actually hit them, you have to either poke them while they're swinging and not blocking, or you have to reduce their Ki so they can't block at all.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
There's a sword move where you break someone's guard and then run into them with your sword against theirs, i think it's called Tempest or something? for the life of me i can't figure out how to trigger it, there's no button for it.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

pissdude posted:

For some combinations of armor/weapons and for certain samurai-style enemies in general, you can also repeatedly dart in and out of their range to provoke them into constantly attacking and running their own stamina down. Once it's low enough you can move in and knock them on their rear end for a grapple. It's sort of lame as far as strats go, but it's pretty safe and foolproof. The way of the warrior dojo man is extremely susceptible to this, because he just explodes into protracted combos any time you come anywhere near him.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Yeah, a really good habit to get into is in between stages go through your equipment and make sure you're wearing the best stuff for your build. Lock (Square) anything you want to keep, like one of a kind items or things that are part of a set. You should be able to get smithing texts for most things, but there's no harm in hanging onto a few things and you can always chuck them into the storeroom. Once you're well equipped and the important items are locked down, disassemble everything at the smithy by pressing R2 on each page. It'll only check the items you aren't wearing and aren't locked. Press X to break down everything checked. now go to the Forge option and select Tools. The second page will let you upgrade your materials with the following scale: turn 10 commons into an uncommon, 7 uncommons into a rare, 5 rares into a unique. Now you've cleaned out your inventory and have a little war chest for forging weapons and armors.

One of the sub-missions in the first region gives you the smithing texts to everything in the Tactician's set, and using the rare or unique materials you just made should let you make rare or better (hopefully) versions of each piece. If you don't like the way the outfit looks, the blacksmith can change that too. It's a good habit to start. I only recommend offering equipment to the spirits when you are in the middle of a mission and are running low on restoratives.

Lastly, you can turn your money into Amrita and elixirs by purchasing low quality weapons and armor and then offering them up. So yeah Tome doesn't sell elixirs directly, but you can certainly juice the system a little bit if you've got a surplus of cash.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

There's a sword move where you break someone's guard and then run into them with your sword against theirs, i think it's called Tempest or something? for the life of me i can't figure out how to trigger it, there's no button for it.

I think its another bad translation, you have to read between the lines. Moves that have a trigger will show the button. There's no button, ergo there's no trigger.

Tempest is a passive upgrade I believe, where if you break guard then you push them to the ground.

On second guess you might have to press guard to trigger it, but I think its passive. But I haven't used Tempest so I'm not positive.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tome not selling Elixirs is mitigated a bit by the fact that praying at a shrine always gives you some Elixir if you're below a certain amount. It was four for a while, and now I get five, and I'm not sure why I get one more now but I'm certainly not complaining.

Thumbtacks posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

Tempest is a passive upgrade I believe, where if you break guard then you push them to the ground.

On second guess you might have to press guard to trigger it, but I think its passive. But I haven't used Tempest so I'm not positive.

I don't think Tempest actually lets you guard break. Instead, what happens is that you need to break their guard some other way, then hit L1 (or whatever the guard button is in the controller configuration you're using) and you'll knock them down. It's something to do after breaking their guard. The help text is, uh, unclear on that.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I like the kusarigama, but the axe just gets poo poo done.

I was all ready to hang up the old sickle-chain, only to find a Level 1 Revenant with all pink(?) items deep inside the second mission. He was surprisingly tough to beat, tossing bombs and just pinging off the walls right next to a cliff. He dropped his kusarigama and I've found my true path.

The game's great, but I'll admit to crippling analysis paralysis when it comes to reforge/upgrades. I'm just glad the game doesn't count it against you when you're ninja-ing around with 30 helmets in your backpack JUST IN CASE.

edit:

LawfulWaffle posted:

really helpful blacksmith stuff

This is fantastic. Thank you for writing it up!

fischtick fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 9, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

fischtick posted:

The game's great, but I'll admit to crippling analysis paralysis when it comes to reforge/upgrades. I'm just glad the game doesn't count it against you when you're ninja-ing around with 30 helmets in your backpack JUST IN CASE.

Yeah any kind of inventory limits would be extremely frustrating. Luckily you're pretty much free to do whatever you want. I often hoard stuff for a long time and then finally sit down and sift through and break down all the junk at once.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
For people trying to get a purple raikiri, just farm players revenants with purple katanas. The sword is extremely popular so it's probably quicker that way than wasting mats.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

For people trying to get a purple raikiri, just farm players revenants with purple katanas. The sword is extremely popular so it's probably quicker that way than wasting mats.

Crafting it guarantees its your level though, while trying to find a revenant who is your level and has your level katana may take a bit.

What else are crafting mats for? :v:

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Harrow posted:

Tome not selling Elixirs is mitigated a bit by the fact that praying at a shrine always gives you some Elixir if you're below a certain amount. It was four for a while, and now I get five, and I'm not sure why I get one more now but I'm certainly not complaining.

That's from the Kodoma you've found. Finding them increases your max amount of elixirs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

That's from the Kodoma you've found. Finding them increases your max amount of elixirs.

Oh neat, I didn't know that. I assume that's not going to carry over between regions, then?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm still in the first post-tutorial area but I can already tell the masses of loot thing is more annoying than I thought it was gonna be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

You get more elixirs from visiting a shrine for finding more kodamas. I believe it's every five found give you one more elixir after praying/respawning. So if you're having problems with a sub-mission duel and wish you could bring in just one more elixir, go find more kodamas in your region. Since kodamas don't transfer from region to region, you'll have to reset to the minimum after each act.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah any kind of inventory limits would be extremely frustrating. Luckily you're pretty much free to do whatever you want. I often hoard stuff for a long time and then finally sit down and sift through and break down all the junk at once.

I think you have a limit of 500 items you can keep in your "tool box" or character inventory. The storeroom has unlimited(?) space though, and you'll only hit that 500 item limit if you have serious hording issues. I've got like 7 hats on lock in my pocket and I feel a little silly, but I'm okay with it.