Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
imagine how good this show could have been if they had decided to let the characters age

i guess they didnt know it'd go for like 30 years or whatever but man that one decision could have made this show an actual institution instead of this sad unfunny poo poo that refuses to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Thin Privilege posted:

I called my big cat Bitey.

For real.

When I was 12 we got two new cats and me and my younger sibling each got to name one.

I named mine Tibor.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think aging the characters would have helped. The fact is that it's incredibly rare for a tv show to go on for over a decade at all, much less go that long and not turn to poo poo. Unfortunately the nature of TV and the rarity of a show being profitable for that long will cause things to drag on and on long after they should have just stopped making them and retained dignity.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
One thing that Family Guy I think mentioned in a commentary track during an early season was the shift of Peter from a toy factory to other jobs after the first few years. You'd maybe lose Mr. Burns (unless he pretty much owns Springfield) but I could have seen giving the characters a major lifestyle shake up every 4-5 years in terms of jobs, income, etc. could have helped them come up with some new story ideas rather than just excuses for one-off stories.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

GoutPatrol posted:

Also if Simpsons aged in real time then you wouldn't get cool poo poo like this anymore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpEhs67ViXg

they butchered skinner's character later on too, i mean he was always a dweeb but he had layers with all the vietnam PTSD and had that dark "norma and norman bates" thing going on with him and his mum

after season 8 though he's that weird spineless 44 year old virgin

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

TheIllestVillain posted:

they butchered skinner's character later on too, i mean he was always a dweeb but he had layers with all the vietnam PTSD and had that dark "norma and norman bates" thing going on with him and his mum

after season 8 though he's that weird spineless 44 year old virgin

Yeah, they write him as a huge pussy now, but one of things that was so funny about him was that even though he was an enormous square you didn't want to piss him off

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, they write him as a huge pussy now, but one of things that was so funny about him was that even though he was an enormous square you didn't want to piss him off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39iTJGJYSD0

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I wonder if the change was more of a generational target audience thing as the idea of "crazy vietnam guy" kinda stopped resonating with younger people or they just got lazy/more ZANY with it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

...was a relatively boring cash-in on the lego movie, and it even followed the same moral lesson if I'm remembering right

Nah it was good.

Also good was "Barthood" and "Halloween of Horror" in Season 27. I liked the recent hourlong one "The Great Phatsby," but it leans heavily on rapper stereotypes and is saved by the guest voices making something out of those characters.

Mostly the recent seasons are bland and forgettable. Every once in awhile they do a good one, every once in awhile they do an atrocity.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

can't talk about early Skinner without posting his most iconic scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ3keVaQZog

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

TheIllestVillain posted:

I never noticed this before (I recently rewatched a lot of this show it's still fresh in my mind) but at the 27 second mark when Bart runs down the hill, this is just a reused animation from the Kamp Krusty episode where the kids are running away from a rolling boulder, but with only Bart and the image is backwards.

edit: I just noticed someone pointed this out in the video comments but I totally had that realization on my own

Junk fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 10, 2017

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I wonder if the change was more of a generational target audience thing as the idea of "crazy vietnam guy" kinda stopped resonating with younger people or they just got lazy/more ZANY with it

It seems like more of a copy-of-a-copy-of-a-copy thing. Each time they self-imitate, certain character traits get imitated more than others until they become defining characteristics, while other details that used to round the character out get completely lost. Like how Flanders just used to be a really nice guy who owed part of his niceness to being a good Christian. Then the Christian jokes— kind of funny originally— kept getting bigger and repeated so often that they became his singular defining characteristic, and by now the writers have simply forgotten that he used to have any other properties.

Your post also touches on reason 1,578 in our inventory of reasons why Simpsons lost it, which is that most the characters are built on archetypes that have long lost any resonance. Like Marge, for example. Homemaker moms with beehive hairdos were a retro throwback when the show was invented. Literally the only people that could possibly connect with that anymore are 60+ years old. So what are you going to do with that archetype if you're not going to allow the character to grow one iota? I guess just keep dropping her into wacky modern situations, like "Marge plays an MMORPG." (Actual episode.)

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

TheIllestVillain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cln_sIP5s0U

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
I hate to defend new Simpsons, but Marge always did have a problem with behavioral addiction, so it's at least kinda believable she'd get hooked on an MMORPG

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Scudworth posted:

I don't think aging the characters would have helped. The fact is that it's incredibly rare for a tv show to go on for over a decade at all, much less go that long and not turn to poo poo. Unfortunately the nature of TV and the rarity of a show being profitable for that long will cause things to drag on and on long after they should have just stopped making them and retained dignity.

Goku grew up :colbert:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

If I were on the writing staff and were determined to put any effort into things, I would pitch an hourlong series finale which is basically a big "what if the show had aged in real time?" imagining where the characters would be now and what adventures they could have been on.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Junk posted:

I never noticed this before (I recently rewatched a lot of this show it's still fresh in my mind) but at the 27 second mark when Bart runs down the hill, this is just a reused animation from the Kamp Krusty episode where the kids are running away from a rolling boulder, but with only Bart and the image is backwards.

i rewatch it every few years and notice new things all the time, jokes especially

like i was watching the episode where mr burns sells the plant the other day and found a new "smithers is gay joke" i totally missed the first few times i watched it

https://youtu.be/q7jOzQC3XOw?t=35

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

If I were on the writing staff and were determined to put any effort into things, I would pitch an hourlong series finale which is basically a big "what if the show had aged in real time?" imagining where the characters would be now and what adventures they could have been on.

"Holidays of Future Passed" from Season 23 was a bit of a look ahead type episode, and it was written as a series finale for if the cast negotiations went south.

It was also a good late era episode.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have no idea why you'd ever want to ditch Murder Skinner. Norman Bates as a Green Beret sells itself.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It seems like more of a copy-of-a-copy-of-a-copy thing. Each time they self-imitate, certain character traits get imitated more than others until they become defining characteristics, while other details that used to round the character out get completely lost. Like how Flanders just used to be a really nice guy who owed part of his niceness to being a good Christian. Then the Christian jokes— kind of funny originally— kept getting bigger and repeated so often that they became his singular defining characteristic, and by now the writers have simply forgotten that he used to have any other properties.

Flanders' devolution has bothered me a long-rear end time. He was one of the best characters because he was the polar opposite of every other cynical, sarcastic, incompetent person in Springfield. It was great a great dynamic to have him so cheerful in response to their abrasiveness and at the same time, made you sympathize with Homer because fucker's so perfect he ain't even mad. Maude and the Lovejoys better fit the raving Christian quota because once you give Ned a fault, it destroys the joke of his character. You're not supposed to hate him for any other reason than you have absolutely no reason to hate him.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Das Boo posted:

I have no idea why you'd ever want to ditch Murder Skinner. Norman Bates as a Green Beret sells itself.

Flanders' devolution has bothered me a long-rear end time. He was one of the best characters because he was the polar opposite of every other cynical, sarcastic, incompetent person in Springfield. It was great a great dynamic to have him so cheerful in response to their abrasiveness and at the same time, made you sympathize with Homer because fucker's so perfect he ain't even mad. Maude and the Lovejoys better fit the raving Christian quota because once you give Ned a fault, it destroys the joke of his character. You're not supposed to hate him for any other reason than you have absolutely no reason to hate him.

Also, the show seems to have nothing positive to say about religion anymore and it's kind of ugly the way that anytime Christianity is brought up in the show, it's to tap the well of "haha, look at this superstitious, pious boob."

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I like the Principal and the Pauper

it's a funny parody of television continuity

by itself it's funny, but it represents a turning point where the series starting getting bad and the writers started doing stuff like this unironically instead of ironically

same with the Frank Grimes episode

I'm pretty sure the Usenet backlash from those two episodes was so bad that the writers started doing deliberately lovely episodes as a big "gently caress you" to the "Worst Episode Ever" crew, and at some point it stopped being ironic

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My favorite episode is Homer Badman, and could you imagine the thinkpieces that would create in YOOL 2017

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Homer building a soapbox racer with bart was on today

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Homer's actions became so sociopathic in a not funny way after season 9 that you actually question the mental capacities of anyone still watching for entertainment, much like LiveLeak executions or animal torture

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Nah it was good.

Also good was "Barthood" and "Halloween of Horror" in Season 27.

Oh yeah, "Halloween of Horror" (their first non-Treehouse of Horror Halloween episode) was very good and far better than any of the THOH episodes since like, season 10?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Space Crabs posted:

That doesn't sound very funny, Simpsons.

I think the saddest part of this, besides the fact that such a lovely episode concept exists, is the staff killed off Homer's mom as a one-off character because they're too deathly afraid of maybe shaking up the status quo a bit. Only one old family member can show up every once in a while! The viewers might be too scared otherwise!!!!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of killing off characters, anyone remember a few years ago when they made a huge publicity stunt that "a citizen of Springfield is going to die!!" As the season premiere?

Then it turned out it was Krusty's dad, who has been in no more than 3 episodes, and only prominently featured in one.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The episode where Flanders freaks out and burns the simpsons so hard is my all time favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5ZYse6Vqtc

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Speaking of killing off characters, anyone remember a few years ago when they made a huge publicity stunt that "a citizen of Springfield is going to die!!" As the season premiere?

Then it turned out it was Krusty's dad, who has been in no more than 3 episodes, and only prominently featured in one.

They should have spread rumors about contract negotiations with bart's voice actor breaking down, then had the episode include a quick <2min segment of the family at bart's non-evil twin brother's funeral

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

GoutPatrol posted:

My favorite episode is Homer Badman, and could you imagine the thinkpieces that would create in YOOL 2017

goddamn homer badman is so good

now this technology is new to me, but i'm pretty sure that's homer simpson in the oven, rotating slowly

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Yes, I can in fact imagine the think pieces coming in 2017 - I saw their scathing representation of Russian president Vladimir Putin

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

there was nothing in al capones vault, but it was wasn't geraldo's fault

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

:same:

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i can just think of an older episode and laugh, so many good jokes

"trobopoline! tromopoline!"
"please dont bring home anymore used crutches!"

"oh no you DONT, that trampoline is MINE!"

"SIMPSON, Homer SIMPSON, hes the greatest guy in his-to-ryyy, from the, town of springfield, hes about to hit a chestnut treeee"

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Danny Devito/Homer's brother apparently hated his time on the Simpsons for some reason, hence why we don't see much of Herb. They haven't killed him off because, you know, everyone loves Herb so much.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Friday Night Lights lacrosse episode is pretty good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Piss de Bundy posted:

"SIMPSON, Homer SIMPSON, hes the greatest guy in his-to-ryyy, from the, town of springfield, hes about to hit a chestnut treeee"

If that scene was made today, he would hit the tree, and out would pop Kanye from the tree complaining that you disturbed his recording session.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
The Simpsons are abducted by aliens who slice off homers rear end and feed it to their queen who then dies because homers rear end is poison. It wasn't a halloween episode.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

happyhippy posted:

If that scene was made today, he would hit the tree, and out would pop Kanye from the tree complaining that you disturbed his recording session.

"Grammy winning rap artist, Kanye West?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

TWO! FOUR! SIX! EIGHT! HOMER'S CRIME WAS VERY GREAT!

GREAT, MEANING LARGE OR IMMENSE! WE USED IT IN THE PEJORATIVE SENSE!