Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
The boat boss is loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Well I guess I'm an idiot and did Umi-bozu hard mode. The first thing I thought was lightning enchant! It wasn't until after I killed it I realized you could put your weapon in the flames....

I wish there was an option or item to just reset stats and not skills.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I love the bare handed disarm ability. There's just something that makes me feel incredibly badass when some mook comes running towards me with his katana in high stance and I rip it out of his hands and impale him with it.

Just working on timing for everything now. I had a really hard time with riposte timing windows in Dark Souls, but I'm easily finding the sweet spot for most weapons in Nioh.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I always forget about that skill, I might just stash my spear and go bare handed on my off slot for some blade catch action.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Honestly every game needs to implement a bloodstain system.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

screech on the beach posted:

The boat boss is loving stupid.

Don't worry he only shows up like 12 more times throughout the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What's the point of the ki stun if you are immobile until the enemy recovers from the stun? It seems completely useless.

edit: Also, debilitating seal + lightning weapon is a truly broken combination. Start with the seal, apply lightning, and then dole out the lighting status while the seal is in effect. Then the lightning will proc when the seal wears off and the enemy will still be slowed. Rinse and repeat.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
In addition to normal dudes those Yokai water pots also affect the demons. So if you're having demon problems you can get an easy ki drain and a finisher with those.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

katkillad2 posted:

Well I guess I'm an idiot and did Umi-bozu hard mode. The first thing I thought was lightning enchant! It wasn't until after I killed it I realized you could put your weapon in the flames....

I wish there was an option or item to just reset stats and not skills.

You can loving what...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am so tired of being stun locked to death. This game just cannot get enough of it. Getting struck by the first hit of a several-hit combo has basically been guaranteed death this whole game for me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hit the block button

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It does nothing when you are stunned.

edit: Also why do status effects take a billion hits to proc with a weapon, is it tied to your magic stat?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

It does nothing when you are stunned.

edit: Also why do status effects take a billion hits to proc with a weapon, is it tied to your magic stat?

It does. Are you getting hit with no stamina? Or getting your block broken?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bombadilillo posted:

It does. Are you getting hit with no stamina? Or getting your block broken?

Neither. The only time I have ever blocked my way out of a combo is if it's slow enough that you recover from the little stun that happens when you get hit before the next swing comes. Otherwise I just eat a bunch of damage.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Consumables are such a feel-bad situation. They seem too precious for use on normal enemies, but it is so terrible to burn a bunch of them on a boss, and then die.

At least the ninja skills give you replenishing items.

Also for half of them using them in battle seems hosed up, the animation for using them is so risky for effects that last like one attack

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 10, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Neither. The only time I have ever blocked my way out of a combo is if it's slow enough that you recover from the little stun that happens when you get hit before the next swing comes. Otherwise I just eat a bunch of damage.

Are you using heavy armor and building toughness? It makes a huge difference. Bat bitch crushed me until I switched to heavy stuff and then I could block her whole combo and still have Ki for a hit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I respecced to crazy ninja mode and sorta regret it. Ninjutsu is cool but I actually don't like kusarigama that much and I think I'd prefer spears. Except now I'm too poor to buy another Book of Reincarnation so gently caress :v:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
There are lots of combos that are going to essentially one shot you if you eat the whole thing but with some points in body you should be able to to survive 2-3 hits of various combos.

On a different note spears almost feel like cheating.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Man, if you really wanna feel like a ninja, just go ahead and use that second-chance skill, quick change. When you die, you poof into the air like a ninja. I was fighting Muneshige just now and to my surprise, I learned you can do a plunging attack from it. It ate like a fourth of his lifebar. I about had a heart attack.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It feels cheap as hell but I love how Revenants barely know what to do against heavy spear and axe attacks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, something I'm curious about: do Toughness and Parry stack? lets hang out was right that Parry reduces the Ki it takes to block something. Toughness reduces the Ki damage you take when you get hit. Does blocking count as getting "hit" for that purpose? Because I could swear that having heavier armor makes it easier for me to block things.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well, I beat the second boss! It only took me 3 hours, 32 minutes, and 47 deaths as opposed to 8h37m and 123 deaths for the first level, so I think I'm getting the hang of it

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Anyone wanna put on the black pre-order armor, die in a specific spot on the first level, and do so over and over so I can farm the pre-order armor? ;)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

FisheyStix posted:

Man, if you really wanna feel like a ninja, just go ahead and use that second-chance skill, quick change. When you die, you poof into the air like a ninja. I was fighting Muneshige just now and to my surprise, I learned you can do a plunging attack from it. It ate like a fourth of his lifebar. I about had a heart attack.

Is it a timer? or just the first time you die type of thing.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
How is the item management? After playing the demo I had dozens upon dozens of nigh-identical weapons and pieces of armor to sift through. I don't want to spend half my time indexing junk like in Diablo and Borderlands so I just want to know how annoying that aspect is.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Renoistic posted:

How is the item management? After playing the demo I had dozens upon dozens of nigh-identical weapons and pieces of armor to sift through. I don't want to spend half my time indexing junk like in Diablo and Borderlands so I just want to know how annoying that aspect is.

Lock the good ones in place and sell them in bulk.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Beat the caves boss. Thanks for the tips earlier.

Game is feeling real great.

Still sticking with sword/kusarigama. I use the sword more, but I love having the kusarigama around for its utility. I keep being tempted to use dual katanas but then I remember I won't have the insane sword skill that allows you to end combos with a ki-depleting kick. That poo poo is nuts. Get one mediocre combo in and kick them into the red, then gut them. So good.

I have been leveling skill the most, since it gives a boost to both of my weapons. I have thrown a few points into dex in order to get some ninjutsu stuff I want.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
so is the bat woman really hard or am I just bad at this game?

I've beaten all the souls games without summoning or tutorialing and that was hard enough that it was not enjoyable

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

so is the bat woman really hard or am I just bad at this game?

I've beaten all the souls games without summoning or tutorialing and that was hard enough that it was not enjoyable
Gotta learn her patterns and how to deal with them, that's all. It's timing and learning. I went from dying to her within 30 seconds 5 times in a row to being able to kill her whenever I feel like it.
Also, pay attention to status effect defenses. They're actually important in this game!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Gotta learn her patterns and how to deal with them, that's all. It's timing and learning. I went from dying to her within 30 seconds 5 times in a row to being able to kill her whenever I feel like it.
Also, pay attention to status effect defenses. They're actually important in this game!

I feel like I'm going to run into problems if I have to fight a boss that I can't abuse with the kusarigama's absurd high-heavy attack, it's basically like having an infinite-ammo rifle. And yeah, the paralysis gave me problems, even when I had mostly gotten the hang of dodging it, because one slip-up was basically death. But ninjutsu can make anti-paralysis pills so that solved that problem

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Beat the caves boss. Thanks for the tips earlier.

Game is feeling real great.

Still sticking with sword/kusarigama. I use the sword more, but I love having the kusarigama around for its utility. I keep being tempted to use dual katanas but then I remember I won't have the insane sword skill that allows you to end combos with a ki-depleting kick. That poo poo is nuts. Get one mediocre combo in and kick them into the red, then gut them. So good.

I have been leveling skill the most, since it gives a boost to both of my weapons. I have thrown a few points into dex in order to get some ninjutsu stuff I want.

Dual katanas has the kick too.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Is there any way to predict how much a weapon's attack and effects will grow by the time it reaches peak familiarity?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

So, something I'm curious about : do Toughness and Parry stack? lets hang out was right that Parry reduces the Ki it takes to block something. Toughness reduces the Ki damage you take when you get hit. Does blocking count as getting "hit" for that purpose? Because I could swear that having heavier armor makes it easier for me to block things.

Instead of breaking things down for crafting, sell them instead for awhile. Then buy another :)

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Dual katanas has the kick too.

It has a roundhouse, but it doesn't say anything about it doing ki damage. That's what is important to me.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Bombadilillo posted:

Is it a timer? or just the first time you die type of thing.

The first time you die. It has a timer but it's real ridiculously long, so you can just use it when you know you're going to enter a tight spot, and sometimes it'll get you out of it.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I assume, much like Diablo, I shouldn't be selling my gear but instead breaking it down.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Every time someone says Nioh is hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrFfr1h9hB4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

It has a roundhouse, but it doesn't say anything about it doing ki damage. That's what is important to me.

It does do ki damage and it is great.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

For people having problems with the batlady boss - you can dodge away from a lot of her attacks to the side, block her melee attacks then backstep, then when she flies up in the air, go underneath her to bait her "dive straight into the ground attack" and move out of the way then punish her immediately. You can literally bait her into doing it over and over and she'll eat poo poo every single time

I just beat the boss of the third region. I didn't expect for that to make me feel sad but it did :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Belzac posted:

Every time someone says Nioh is hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrFfr1h9hB4

I was watching you stream earlier, do you only use the spear? Seems like it's definitely your weapon of choice...

What combo was that, anyway?