Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Ok I figured some basics out on how to build non rectangular buildings.

The importance is the interim ceiling - actually like building a real house - with scaffolding, using pillars and either square or triangle roof plates, best on a large and even foundation. Then you build the roof first and go from top to bottom and replace square foundation blocks with triangle ones where needed.

If you start from bottom to top you will always have to worry about placing the roof tiles properly. The shape of possible roof angles dictates the shape of your home, not the walls or foundations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Big ups to the two pubbies (?) On Dongful making a floating river house near my compound and delivering rhino meat as tribute.

They've been very nice neighbors and are probably plotting to kill me.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So, use support structures like beams and go from top to bottom to build out the place, roof first ?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Glenn Quebec posted:

So, use support structures like beams and go from top to bottom to build out the place, roof first ?

My problem was building a wide base, tall walls and then tried to make a roof. I thought the game was glitching until I remembered I wasn't in Minecraft and actually had to build supports.
My next house is going to look way better.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Inzombiac posted:

Big ups to the two pubbies (?) On Dongful making a floating river house near my compound and delivering rhino meat as tribute.

They've been very nice neighbors and are probably plotting to kill me.

The pubbies on Dongful are plentiful, and strangely friendly. I witnessed one accidentally killing one today and then giving him a new set of gear as an apology.

Also our server rank keeps going up, so I hope FunCom allows an AFK timeout to be implemented soon. Even with an invalid version error this morning 20 people were on still playing by connecting through steam.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yes, I use the sandstone triangles to make corners. But you need to make "soft" corners, I haven't found a way to make a thatched roof on anything that is 90 degrees.

What we really need are some kind of structure beams. For now the sandstone ceilings and pillars are your substitute for a wooden frame.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Most pubbies I meet across servers seem really laid back. Just wandering around gathering poo poo and making massive cliff houses and riverboats and poo poo. I wonder why this game makes them so chill.

It's probably the dongs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

And give us the option to build something "incorrect" and have it fall apart.
A good learning tool!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Most pubbies I meet across servers seem really laid back. Just wandering around gathering poo poo and making massive cliff houses and riverboats and poo poo. I wonder why this game makes them so chill.

It's probably the dongs.

Getting materials doesn't seem to be the major choke point in the same way it was for ark. I feel much more limited by my level than my access to goodies.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Getting materials doesn't seem to be the major choke point in the same way it was for ark. I feel much more limited by my level than my access to goodies.

The first tier of building mats, anyway. Those iron reinforcements are slow to make and cost 2 bars a pop which, while not expensive, add up quick when you need 7 per tier 2 foundation.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Red Mundus posted:

It's probably the dongs.

I don't follow. Why aren't you constantly harassing them and making their life hell every step of the way?

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't follow. Why aren't you constantly harassing them and making their life hell every step of the way?

Hes bring shame upon this forum

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

He brings massive shame. I think I'm gonna make an altar to the Taxman and sacrifice nubz to it. Maybe if I sacrifice enough he'll upgrade the forums.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hammerstein posted:

Yes, I use the sandstone triangles to make corners. But you need to make "soft" corners, I haven't found a way to make a thatched roof on anything that is 90 degrees.

What we really need are some kind of structure beams. For now the sandstone ceilings and pillars are your substitute for a wooden frame.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by 90°, you just need to use the regular sloped thatch roof instead of the wedge shaped ones?

Also you might want to check out fence foundations—you can do some weird stuff with them because they can snap to half-block increments. You can also just use them as an alternative for regular walls if you want some variation:

Wallet fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 10, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm having trouble placing stone roofs when the walls are two high. It may be that my place was built on very in even ground but sometimes the highlight won't show up at all.

Thatched roofs only way to attach to the first level, as well.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Roofs connect well against walls, so I just add a sacrificial T1 wall, lay down my roofs and then demolish the old wall.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Thanks for the suggestion with sandstone foundations, I will check if I can cook something up with them. I bought the Rust planner too, so this is the 90 degree problem, the gap when you build a T-shaped structure for example.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I got to building in singleplayer. Here is my Temple to Set

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I love that the game encourages you to make a compound instead of a big dumb box to house all your crap.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

You are way more talented than I am :saddowns:

But I found out tonight that the edge of the thatched roof is an anchor point for walls and that you can clip through some roof tiles if you build the wall next to it before finishing the roof.....enabling you to create something that Herman Munster would live in....

The triangle foundations can also be used to give your structure some decent diagonal wings, so it's not only straight lines.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 10, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The official servers are a crap shoot. The PvP servers are constantly full and you have to queue via steam browser to get in. There are plenty of people who have been on for 8+ hours clearly afk to save their spot.

Then there is the problem of land grabbing. People are laying down single foundation blocks all over the map to claim territory. It took me almost 2 hours of wandering to finally find a decent spot to setup base.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
The official mod tools are now available on the Epic launcher. 74GB download.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Popete posted:

The official servers are a crap shoot. The PvP servers are constantly full and you have to queue via steam browser to get in. There are plenty of people who have been on for 8+ hours clearly afk to save their spot.

Then there is the problem of land grabbing. People are laying down single foundation blocks all over the map to claim territory. It took me almost 2 hours of wandering to finally find a decent spot to setup base.

This, along with 1x rates, is why I won't play on an official server. ARK had this very same problem and, to my knowledge, it was never solved. This game is especially susceptible to it seeing as human NPC spawns are static and can be blocked by a simple bedroll.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Popete posted:

We are on #178 with an established base on a cliff. Been in a couple fights already with our neighbors. We have around 8 goons doing stuff and we would love it to have more!

When i get back into the game I'll SS our setup.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 10, 2017

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

GoGoGadget posted:

This, along with 1x rates, is why I won't play on an official server. ARK had this very same problem and, to my knowledge, it was never solved. This game is especially susceptible to it seeing as human NPC spawns are static and can be blocked by a simple bedroll.

But killing pubbies on official brought the best tears. I think they eventually fixed it by making decay extremely fast for single foundations. Earth salting is definitely a valid strategy.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Riddle of Steel goons, our crafting hall is finished, still needs more stations and boxes. I will make more large boxes tonight, let's not clutter it up with small ones.

While building it I created some test buildings, they are easy to recognize, since they are mostly doorframes and stairs. Feel free to tear them down and use the materials.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

Hammerstein posted:

Riddle of Steel goons, our crafting hall is finished, still needs more stations and boxes. I will make more large boxes tonight, let's not clutter it up with small ones.

While building it I created some test buildings, they are easy to recognize, since they are mostly doorframes and stairs. Feel free to tear them down and use the materials.

Posting about your building wonders without posting pictures? Tsk tsk tsk.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Well I just rage quit the Riddle of Steel server for the day, I geared up, walked all of the way across the map, harvested hundreds of brimstone from rock rhinos, then was hit by a gigantic hyena/spider ambush and died of 20 poison stacks. Even the blessed meat of yog did nothing to stop it from killing me!

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

I like building things and i like dongs, is this game good?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Eastbound Spider posted:

I like building things and i like dongs, is this game good?

Yes on both counts. It's probably a better building game in SP with turned up rates to ignore the survival part though.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Is it possible to have a harem?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Hoho, the official EU servers are now hosted by G-Portal ?

They are the same guys who promoted Conan Exiles servers on their site and when I bought a 3-day trial a few days ago and had paid for it, they said "Oooops, sorry, no servers available".

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Welcome to Castle LLJK. Many a goon help build this fort and soon it all will be tier 2 foundation!

The beginnings of might fine Goon Tower. How high will it go before someone knocks it down? Who knows!

A modest intertior to the fort, not shown pile of naked goons and goonettes in shack.

If you want to bath in pubstar's tears come join us on Official Server #178.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Burns posted:

Is it possible to have a harem?

This post.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What's the quickest way to get rid of some basic sandstone structures?
I was in my own clan and left for a nearby ground and now my old house cannot be destroyed.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Picer posted:

Posting about your building wonders without posting pictures? Tsk tsk tsk.

It's not easy to figure out what clips properly into what and which blocks can be used creatively...

I wanted something like an old Arabian bazaar, but instead if became some bastardization of a longhouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbwI6JfMtdM

It's nothing special, the interesting part is the interior ceiling. Those pillars are used for a triangle construction to hold the thatched roof for the side wings in place and give the whole building fewer 90 degree corners and more diagonal lines, while still having a high ceiling. The walkways above are not needed, but with the extra room over your head you can do various stuff. Also notice my little manager office and the murder hole :3:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

So I'm having a problem in single player where if i quit, then log in later, its a toss up if i get to log in the character i had, or it prompts me to make a new character. kinda sucks cause it makes what i built previously untouchable, an it forces me to start over. Half the time the name of the new character is my steam name, other times its My-PC-#### type name. Is there some setting im doing to gently caress myself over, or what?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
hey folks. I rented a server at nfoservers and have been playing pretty consistently.

I've made a few tweaks to make the game a little easier in rough spots and tried to balance out crafting XP, food spoilage and a couple other things. We're mostly small clans and the major rule is don't blow up people's bases to be a dick. we'll also remove foundations that are just there to claim land or prevent poo poo from spawning. basically just be gentlemen savages. We're all focused on building cool poo poo and killing each other out in the wilderness. If you and a few friends are looking for a chill quiet server this might be a good place for you.
We usually have about 10 people online in the evening.
Server is called Thunderball. It's pvp.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

[EU] The Riddle of Steel - PvP was updated for today's mini-patch.

Nothing big, was mostly an update to allow direct connect per in-game browers. So be they still haven't fixed the T2 shrines disappearing bug.

And a question too goons who are more experienced with server hosting than I am:

Our current host is really stable and we have no problems since the switch. Should I still task a daily server reboot ? Is there any benefit to it ?

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
So do shields feel useless for anyone else? The only use I can find for them right now is "Tanking" things while a buddy hacks at them from behind. In any other situation it seems like a 2 hander is better.

• Locked thread