Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So uh...

That's happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Oh my!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Don't play with me. Is this real?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

flosofl posted:

I remember like 2 years ago adult swim showed a teaser, never thought I'd see the day.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TontoCorazon posted:

I remember like 2 years ago adult swim showed a teaser, never thought I'd see the day.

It's on and off again for so long, and then it was going to be movie, no a final season, no a movie. I'd given up hope.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

flosofl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSrv_n4tw7w

It's real

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
adult swim are also putting up season 1-4 for streaming to help get people hyped

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

quite stretched out posted:

adult swim are also putting up season 1-4 for streaming to help get people hyped

Netflix? I've never seen the show, and it sounds like that's something I need to fix.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Samurai Jack was pretty weird in terms of narrative and plot but goddamn the animation and artstyle were amazing.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

IUG posted:

Netflix? I've never seen the show, and it sounds like that's something I need to fix.

I don't know if it'll be on Netflix or not, but you should definitely check it out if you're a fan of art, animation, action, or fun.

Nickiepoo posted:

Samurai Jack was pretty weird in terms of narrative and plot but goddamn the animation and artstyle were amazing.

The narrative is very much in a folklorish vein, so continuity, or even time in some cases, don't matter much. Half of the episodes start like a Yojimbo-type story (or Coyote, or any other folklore all over the world with a loner protagonist), something like, "Jack is hungry and he walks into a new town..." That's it. That's all there needs to be. There is an overarching plot, but if you're new to the show you kind of have to let it chill and enjoy the episodic stuff. Some of the best moments are in stand-alone eps, like the Seven Samurai-ish episode with the dogs and the robot army. Jack is all seven samurai, in this case.

I'm still bummed about Mako, though. He was the irreplaceable voice of the main villain, Aku (sp?), and he's gone now. My wife and I were just re-watching Avatar: the Last Airbender, where he plays Uncle Iroh. I cry like a baby every time I see the episode that memorializes Mako. :qq:

Edit: Samurai Jack in the .gif thread. :whatup:

Railing Kill has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Feb 8, 2017

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Railing Kill posted:

I don't know if it'll be on Netflix or not, but you should definitely check it out if you're a fan of art, animation, action, or fun.

The narrative is very much in a folklorish vein, so continuity, or even time in some cases, don't matter much. Half of the episodes start like a Yojimbo-type story (or Coyote, or any other folklore all over the world with a loner protagonist), something like, "Jack is hungry and he walks into a new town..." That's it. That's all there needs to be. There is an overarching plot, but if you're new to the show you kind of have to let it chill and enjoy the episodic stuff. Some of the best moments are in stand-alone eps, like the Seven Samurai-ish episode with the dogs and the robot army. Jack is all seven samurai, in this case.

I'm still bummed about Mako, though. He was the irreplaceable voice of the main villain, Aku (sp?), and he's gone now. My wife and I were just re-watching Avatar: the Last Airbender, where he plays Uncle Iroh. I cry like a baby every time I see the episode that memorializes Mako. :qq:

I read that the producers found that Mako was so irreplaceable that rather than going in a new direction with a new voice actor, instead they found the closest impersonator they could.

The stories tend to be a little silly because it was originally a kid's show (though the new season seems like it will be more mature). If you can get past that (or watch it with your kid or, in my case, kid brother), the animation and art are fantastic. And, the show frequently strays from the convention of kid's shows by, for example, having entire episodes virtually without dialogue. And there's a really cool episode that's an homage to Frank Miller's 300.

Edit: gif for the gif god

Enigma has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Feb 8, 2017

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist
http://i.imgur.com/TwhGaFZ.gifv

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Havin' sex after a year of abstinence.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Abstinence is a choice and doesn't apply to goons

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

IUG posted:

ah, it looks like i misunderstood exactly how they're doing it. you can go here and they're just livestreaming it as a marathon

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/streams/samurai-jack

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Briefly thought this guy was making jenkem.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Samurai Jack was groundbreaking in that it broke the cardinal "rule" of animation (and cartooning in general) - no outlines.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Maybe we'll finally get to see the King Jack we briefly saw in the episode Samurai Jack vs the Guardian.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/Na9jGYR.mp4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Guys I've invented a perpetual motion machine

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
I like this new form of data moshing.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

I'm picturing these machines are operated via some insanely powerful hydraulics and don't respond to human presence so you have to time your entrance just right or you'll get mangled.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Lurking Haro posted:

Counterclockwise.
When the space between the dots gets bigger, they are in the foreground, which wouldn't add up for a clockwise spin.

Close your eyes when she's in profile for longer than a blink, she'll reverse direction when you open 'em.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

The Archaic posted:

I'm picturing these machines are operated via some insanely powerful hydraulics and don't respond to human presence so you have to time your entrance just right or you'll get mangled.

Whoever wrote this episode should DIE!

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Steve Holt! posted:

I like this new form of data moshing.

Do you, or anyone else here, know how to do this? I would like to do this.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I'm impressed. It looks like she has a whole $30 there.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I can hear the New Jersey accent through the gif.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

MrMidnight posted:

I'm impressed. It looks like she has a whole $30 there.

Please wipe the seat off when you're finished, and leave the door open or we will charge you the full days rental. Thanks

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/samoyeds_/status/830147573457489920

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Is she really small or did they use the really cheap, oversized prop money?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

duz posted:

Is she really small or did they use the really cheap, oversized prop money?
Well, shes 13 or 14 so yeah kind of small.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

I agree. P hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Those scientists were 100% white.