Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I've been doing some RDD myself lately, but to be fair this place is a hellhole and I'm still producing good software.

Code for the job you want? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

We see a big paradigm shift in the industry towards gamification of work so the new initiative is going to be based on your team making a new cloud based machine learning AI butt clicker game that outputs SVC and xls files. Thanks.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

No microservices, microtransactions or DLC? You disappoint me. Sad.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If it's any solace, the day I realized that I was doing a business application in loving Unity, I redid it in WinForms which is arguably better, I guess.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gildiss posted:

We see a big paradigm shift in the industry towards gamification of work so the new initiative is going to be based on your team making a new cloud based machine learning AI butt clicker game that outputs SVC and xls files. Thanks.

But can I pay to win?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Just discovered that after updating my java version I'd set my JAVA_HOME variable to a jre :eng99: it's been like this for about a month

can it be 5pm yet?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Not gonna lie I made some data display by drawing in a Canvas once because I didn't want to deal with arranging some divs properly.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Not gonna lie I made some data display by drawing in a Canvas once because I didn't want to deal with arranging some divs properly.

My hero :magical:

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Wow, we really need display: grid; to be widely supported already.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But can I pay to win?

You have to win to get paid

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Dred_furst posted:

So we had a dumb thing happen over the past few months. I'll preface this with I'm out of there very soon!

A rough timeline:
  • Project had a build server, wasn't used for CI
  • a build would be manually run at the end of every week
  • stuff would frequently break, followed by a mad dash around for the remaining part of the day to find what the hell broke and why.
  • the build server gets migrated to teamcity.
  • unit tests start refusing to work under resharper 6, but work fine under newer versions
  • get told no we can't upgrade to latest resharper version
  • I suggest running the build automatically and more frequently so that we get much more granular feedback about stuff breaking, so that we aren't running round like headless chickens on a friday afternoon wasting time finding who broke what.
  • get told outright no by upper management. no reason given.
  • I install jenkins as a personal dev aid on my local machine.
  • ~~months pass~~
  • other devs start using jenkins as they can find stuff breaking much faster.
  • get told by upper management to remove jenkins as we "don't need another build server", "you are wasting too much time running a build server" and "why don't you run the tests locally through resharper, get that working."

holy poo poo am I glad I'm off somewhere that knows how to CI.

God drat dude. I would have left that place like 7 months ago. I don't even do TDD but this is bullshit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The highest three officers/managers in our organization got fired today. :stare:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pollyanna posted:

The highest three officers/managers in our organization got fired today. :stare:

Blood for the c levels, skulls for the scapegoat throne :black101:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If they're "officers" then they were the C levels? Skulls for the board throne I guess.

In any case, that seems like the strongest sign possible to polish the ole resume...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well, not c-levels. VPs, senior managers, etc. The actual c-levels are three hours away continuing to run the company into the ground. :downs: But at least the workers are still around...for now.

Either way, definitely a warning sign.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just wait until you meet the new guys they brought in to replace them!

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Pollyanna posted:

Well, not c-levels. VPs, senior managers, etc. The actual c-levels are three hours away continuing to run the company into the ground. :downs: But at least the workers are still around...for now.

Either way, definitely a warning sign.

Warning? That implies things may go well. It's practically a war dec, GTFO.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Chaos is a ladder :unsmigghh:

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

A nine person scrum just took twenty minutes. It felt like forty.

I think I just need to start calling these things "morning meetings" and lower my expectations.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

Kaiju15 posted:

I think I just need to start calling these things "morning meetings" and lower my expectations.

Mine took 7 minutes. We were 9 too.

Your Scrum Master probably need to interrupt people diverging a bit more.

Did everyone take about 2 minutes or was it more like a few people took 5 minutes and the rest 30 seconds ?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Was wondering if I could get some advice from this thread. A month or so ago our only Sr developer was fired(which is a very long story, but the short of it was that he brought it on himself), and next week our manager is interviewing 2 candidates for the open position. The kicker is that he would like me and one other team member to also interview the people, both to ensure that they actually know their stuff and that they would be a good fit for the team. Neither of us have ever interviewed anyone before, and most of the interviews I've been on the other end of have been complete bullshit. I don't see any real value to asking someone to code some algorithm on a whiteboard. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any good resources I could read to find good interview questions for a Sr dev position.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Was wondering if I could get some advice from this thread. A month or so ago our only Sr developer was fired(which is a very long story, but the short of it was that he brought it on himself), and next week our manager is interviewing 2 candidates for the open position. The kicker is that he would like me and one other team member to also interview the people, both to ensure that they actually know their stuff and that they would be a good fit for the team. Neither of us have ever interviewed anyone before, and most of the interviews I've been on the other end of have been complete bullshit. I don't see any real value to asking someone to code some algorithm on a whiteboard. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any good resources I could read to find good interview questions for a Sr dev position.

Vulture Culture posted:

I used to actually do a thing in my in-person interviews where I'd give a person a code sample to read and explain. I wouldn't pay any mind whatsoever to their thought process or how well they understood the code. I would watch them instead. If they looked pissed about having to do it, it was a yellow flag.

Seems like a good one for any position

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

AskYourself posted:

Mine took 7 minutes. We were 9 too.

Did everyone take about 2 minutes or was it more like a few people took 5 minutes and the rest 30 seconds ?

Yeah, that definitely sounds like a problem with the facilitator.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

Small, meaningful take home challenges (i.e. take a JSON feed and do things with it). Give a time limit of an hour or so. Make sure you could complete it well within that time limit. Give the test to a coworker before you give it to a prospect (spelling errors and contradictory instructions are red flags and more common than you'd think).

If their work passes, ask them to explain their code when they come in. If they have any code on Github, have them explain that.

I really like VC's idea too.

Iverron fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 22, 2017

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Khisanth Magus posted:

Just pair program for half an hour, let them drive. Don't treat it like a test, just treat it like working with them and actually help when you can. Pick a problem too big to finish in that half hour, make sure they know it's too big to finish and not expected.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pair program for an hour on a small toy problem or a small, non-sensitive story from an actual project (ideally one that you are pretty sure you already know how to implement). Set the development environment up completely beforehand. Work on it the way you'd actually work. Let them drive most of the time, ask leading questions if they seem stuck, and encourage them to vocalize their thought process and ask questions. Don't expect to finish it during that time, because they'll be nervous and unfamiliar, but do make sure it's something that could reasonably be finished in that time by a comfortable and confident person already familiar with the codebase and domain. No trick questions.

At the end, the most important question is, "Would I want to work with this person every day?"

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Kaiju15 posted:

Your team is too large.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Kaiju15 posted:

Seems about right. Our 11 person one that's actually TWO teams + mgmt time takes 45 a day. I decided to stop dying on that hill complaining about it and get a free 45 minutes

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Virigoth posted:

Seems about right. Our 11 person one that's actually TWO teams + mgmt time takes 45 a day. I decided to stop dying on that hill complaining about it and get a free 45 minutes

Fight to be the presenter and open up a meeting cost clock.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Haha at my first job we had a team of~50 (including devs, BAs, SQAs, etc) and stand-up only took like 10 minutes. It was awesomely efficient.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doghouse posted:

Haha at my first job we had a team of~50 (including devs, BAs, SQAs, etc) and stand-up only took like 10 minutes. It was awesomely efficient.

And useless I would guess. No way are you doing anything meaningful in 10 seconds per person. That meeting is replaceable with a Jira board.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

baquerd posted:

And useless I would guess. No way are you doing anything meaningful in 10 seconds per person. That meeting is replaceable with a Jira board.

I remember that at a AAA game studio. Full team stand ups. All the artists would arrange themselves so they could go:
Character name high poly model
Same
Same
Same
Same
Same
Vehicle low poly model
Same
Vehicle high poly model
Same
Same

And be done in 10 seconds...

Biggest waste of time possible.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

baquerd posted:

Fight to be the presenter and open up a meeting cost clock.

This is an amazing idea but if we can go on a 15 minute derail about some of the dumbest poo poo I doubt that this would phase them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Our stand up is always half "same as John" because we pair up. Very efficient.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

AskYourself posted:

We're more of a scrummerfall company. We don't really have a scrum master, and I've been told that I need to be burning down five hours worth of tasks every day.

AskYourself posted:

It's a few people going for two to three minutes and then "providing input" on every other person's turn. My turn was two sentences.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
It's not really a Scrum if there is not falicitator, it's more of an ad-hoc meeting. Every morning...

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Stand ups are only useful for forcing a completely disfunctional team to communicate with each other. Otherwise most people know how to tell others what they are doing and if they need help in real-time throughout the day. In theory.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gildiss posted:

Stand ups are only useful for forcing a completely disfunctional team to communicate with each other. Otherwise most people know how to tell others what they are doing and if they need help in real-time throughout the day. In theory.

Most teams in most (read: not top-tier) companies will have at least one member that isn't necessarily dysfunctional, but that simply isn't proactive or motivated. It is sometimes incredibly hard to deal with these people unless you are their manager and have some control over discretionary compensation, but that's really an aside. The point is that these people need to be tasked, and without standups they will happily sit there doing nothing until told something to do. Some ultra mild group shaming in standup can be effective (e.g. "Could you take something more today if you get your work done? What would that be? What specifically do you want to accomplish today, can you talk me through it?"). Some people need that sort of near-hourly accountability to keep them productive, while it's a terrible strategy to use with otherwise effective devs.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

baquerd posted:

Most teams in most (read: not top-tier) companies will have at least one member that isn't necessarily dysfunctional, but that simply isn't proactive or motivated. It is sometimes incredibly hard to deal with these people unless you are their manager and have some control over discretionary compensation, but that's really an aside. The point is that these people need to be tasked, and without standups they will happily sit there doing nothing until told something to do. Some ultra mild group shaming in standup can be effective (e.g. "Could you take something more today if you get your work done? What would that be? What specifically do you want to accomplish today, can you talk me through it?"). Some people need that sort of near-hourly accountability to keep them productive, while it's a terrible strategy to use with otherwise effective devs.

I see you and I have worked with the same people. Sometimes they get fired, but more often they skate on with nothing in sight to stop them being awful and lazy. It's kind of depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Gildiss posted:

I think the idea of a standup works well, as long as the terseness rule is strongly enforced. Getting a high-level view of what other developers are doing, and particularly their challenges, can be useful for the team as a whole.

Dev 1: Yesterday I did foo and bar, and today I'm working on implementing a ZZZ parser.
Dev 2: I did..., and hey Dev1, I wrote a ZZZ parser before, I can take a look with you if you want.