Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Your Computer posted:

If I remember correctly, you hold the object up against a wall and then run into it, and you'll pop out of the other end of the wall. It's just basic physics. Like how in Fallout 4 you can climb skyscrapers by standing on a trash can, looking straight down and pulling yourself up :shepface:

Here's a video showing it on a console:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx7HJ5GMX0M

(beaten, but my video isn't two hours long with no timestamps :colbert:)

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 07:20 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

HookedOnChthonics posted:

I put hundreds of hours into the console ports of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 as a child and finished console Skyrim and managed to totally avoid game-breaking bugs? I remember FO3 in particular would hardlock occasionally, but I didn't run into, like, quest triggers not firing or NPC spawning weirdness until I started messing around with mods on the PC.

Now obviously anecdotes != data (if the thieves' guild quest line was the horribly broken one in every game I would literally never know) but I do have to wonder if Bethesda catches flak that should be aimed at Nexus morons 'content creators.'

:agreed: ; it feels like every time someone mentions some super hosed up bug, their post history shows that a week ago they were listing the dozens of mods they do.

Hell, it's not limited to Bethesda games. I remember some Sims forum (the one by that jackass guy who made some big mod but wouldn't buy Sims 4 for some reason) having huge lists of things that would allegedly break the game whole, 100% of the time. I got a bit less neurotic playing it after ignoring the warnings to find, well, no major bugs or corruption.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Your mileage may vary. Oblivion unmodded was fairly testy for me, especially in terms of questlines which broke CONSTANTLY, including a couple of 'oh oops you can't complete the game now better look for a save several hours back from before this poo poo broke forever'. Graphical glitches and the occasional crash were also an issue. Unmodded Skyrim wasn't nearly as bad; I had a couple of crashes over the course of the game, which is not too surprising. Several minor questlines broke in weird ways, and I would occasionally end up in bizarre aggro situations where guards or occasionally a random NPC would start wailing on me out of nowhere until I yielded (unless this is a feature of Nordic culture and not a bug), but I never had the 'oh yeah the main questline incidentally broke an hour ago for no apparent reason' poo poo that plagued me in Oblivion.

I actually eventually beat Skyrim on a moderately modded run that replaced the skill and experience system, and it was still more stable than unmodded Oblivion was; it's possible that Oblivion just wasn't getting along with the hardware I had at the time for whatever reason.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

The first time I booted up my mod-free PC copy of Skyrim, all the trees' foliage would periodically turn into violet, blocky fluff. I have a pic of it somewhere........

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MisterBibs posted:

:agreed: ; it feels like every time someone mentions some super hosed up bug, their post history shows that a week ago they were listing the dozens of mods they do.

Hell, it's not limited to Bethesda games. I remember some Sims forum (the one by that jackass guy who made some big mod but wouldn't buy Sims 4 for some reason) having huge lists of things that would allegedly break the game whole, 100% of the time. I got a bit less neurotic playing it after ignoring the warnings to find, well, no major bugs or corruption.

I only install the most essential Quality-of-life mods.

Meaning realistic horse vaginas, of course.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not playing Skyrim without Sperg, Disparity and Better Leveling. :colbert:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

First time I played the first Borderlands in Wine, every light source had a ghostly psycho T-posing out of it, like a phantom light source. Aside from that, everything worked fine. After I got used to it, it wasn't so bad. They were my friends lighting up the areas :3:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Powaqoatse posted:

First time I played the first Borderlands in Wine, every light source had a ghostly psycho T-posing out of it, like a phantom light source. Aside from that, everything worked fine. After I got used to it, it wasn't so bad. They were my friends lighting up the areas :3:

"AND THE CAMELS SCREAM MY ANUS OUT THE FROG VENTS!!!"
*sheds a tear* "Thank you, my bright, shining star."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
When I played Crysis Warhead, every lightsource in ever level was visible through every surface. Made some of the levels with glowly alien poo poo a lot harder to look at.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Screaming Idiot posted:

"AND THE CAMELS SCREAM MY ANUS OUT THE FROG VENTS!!!"
*sheds a tear* "Thank you, my bright, shining star."

hahaha exactly

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Skyrim Special Edition with some light modding. Sorry for the missing sound at first, it picked up sound from somewhere else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QH0m9XlUYA

No thanks youtube.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
While we're talking about Skyrim.... this isn't exactly a glitch, but just a showcase of Bethesda's incredibly lifelike Radiant AI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lydUlyVKGtA

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Someone figured out how to stop the GTA V train, sort of,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW7WIpdA7CI

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ4iw-R5fQk

Don't know how to time stamp but start at like 3:00.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Don't know how to time stamp but start at like 3:00.

Wrongfully accused might be the first movie I cried laughing at

ETA: definitely because of this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWc_Tp7Eeu4

MNIMWA has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Feb 5, 2017

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Lime Tonics posted:

Modded though.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The current XCom 2 LP had a oddball glitch happen in the latest video. A spare pair of legs pops out along with one of the mission objectives. (Mid-game? spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVeujzQsyn8&t=2800s

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So apparently cars in H1Z1 can have some issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPXyB3YN6Xs

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Between this and the headless Nord, this thread continues to be one of my favorites.

e: sorry for double post

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 13:10 on Feb 8, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Strangely enough Skyrim has been the least gamebreakingly bugged of the recent elderscrolls/fallout games I've played so far. Even fallout 4 I couldn't turn around without running into some quest that just terminated randomly because I'd cleared an area out earlier wandering around and the game just refused to update the quest at all so I had a quest log full of quests that pointed me towards NPCs that would never spawn, or areas that would never respawn. Skyrim all the bugs were mostly harmless except the occasional fresh start freak out where a wolf would show up and attack the cart horse.

I just finished Fallout 4 and didn't notice a lot of quest bugginess at all.

The game geometry, on the other hand - I often saw people walking into walls, and enemies occasionally got stuck in the floor or ceiling. I also got this:

Quit foolin' around, Ellie, it's not funny anymore. You're scaring me.

Then some minor bugs:

Respectively: floating dog, guard calling me a woman even though I'm playing as a man with a full beard. I also thought this was funny, though it's not a glitch:

Everyone wants guard duty at the b-ball court so they can shoot some hoops. Hey, it still raised Defense somehow, so it's fine by me.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 13:16 on Feb 8, 2017

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Phlegmish posted:

guard calling me a woman even though I'm playing as a man with a full beard.

No sexual characteristics exist. Your identification does not provide your gender.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FAROOQ posted:

No sexual characteristics exist. Your identification does not provide your gender.

:munch:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought it was lovely programming, turns out it's just a guard that read Butler.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oops, wrong thread.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Here's a video showing it on a console:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx7HJ5GMX0M

(beaten, but my video isn't two hours long with no timestamps :colbert:)

Yeah. IIRC the explanation is due to the physics engine only checking collision every x frames, mixed with the way bowls/plates/pots are coded to let stuff sit in them, and good old fashioned clipping. Beveled objects aren't actually strictly speaking beveled apparently, hitbox wise. Instead, they've got a side(which is invisible, where the lid of the pot would go for instance) flagged to let stuff clip through it. So object is dropped into bowl, touches the top side of it (actually an invisible, intangible lid), bowl lets object in.

So, pressing a plate to the wall at the right angle makes it possible to slip through thin objects because you moving forward squishes the plate, yourself, and the wall together. The game checks collision, sees "Plate obstructing/clipped into wall, check plate", is told "Dovakiin(and/or)castle wall is on open side, allow into plate." And you slide through both objects. Next time Collision is calculated, it'll go "wait why are you a foot into the wall, get the gently caress out of there" and eject you/send plate flying at a thousand miles an hour as a deadly projectile.

The larger the object you use (cauldrons are the best I think?) the more leeway time you get, and the faster you're going the better due to the game only checking collision occasionally(so it doesn't choke itself on calculations). Plate+Speedshout gets you through almost any wall in the game, doors can be beat just by sprinting at them with a bowl.

I encountered this by accident during my first playthrough. A fight in a bandit fort with plenty of Fus-ing had left everything strewn around the floor, jumped backwards while firing shots at last bandit to gain distance, landed on upturned cookware, fell into basement. I was extremely confused.

Also I think it was a troll they had in the basement? I died.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn. I think I'm gonna load up the ol 360 and skyrim again and finally get that god damned dragon priest mask that I couldn't get because the game glitched and wouldn't open the door.

All I gotta do first is head to whiterun and steal a plate.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cuchulain posted:

Yeah. IIRC the explanation is due to the physics engine only checking collision every x frames, mixed with the way bowls/plates/pots are coded to let stuff sit in them, and good old fashioned clipping. Beveled objects aren't actually strictly speaking beveled apparently, hitbox wise. Instead, they've got a side(which is invisible, where the lid of the pot would go for instance) flagged to let stuff clip through it. So object is dropped into bowl, touches the top side of it (actually an invisible, intangible lid), bowl lets object in.

So, pressing a plate to the wall at the right angle makes it possible to slip through thin objects because you moving forward squishes the plate, yourself, and the wall together. The game checks collision, sees "Plate obstructing/clipped into wall, check plate", is told "Dovakiin(and/or)castle wall is on open side, allow into plate." And you slide through both objects. Next time Collision is calculated, it'll go "wait why are you a foot into the wall, get the gently caress out of there" and eject you/send plate flying at a thousand miles an hour as a deadly projectile.

The larger the object you use (cauldrons are the best I think?) the more leeway time you get, and the faster you're going the better due to the game only checking collision occasionally(so it doesn't choke itself on calculations). Plate+Speedshout gets you through almost any wall in the game, doors can be beat just by sprinting at them with a bowl.

I encountered this by accident during my first playthrough. A fight in a bandit fort with plenty of Fus-ing had left everything strewn around the floor, jumped backwards while firing shots at last bandit to gain distance, landed on upturned cookware, fell into basement. I was extremely confused.

Also I think it was a troll they had in the basement? I died.

So can you guys explain why it is like half the time I shoot guys with arrows they just slide through the floor? I don't know if it's a mod caused glitch or what but it's just making me giggle madly every time it happens. I'll kill a guy, he'll fall down. Then his corpse just phases out of reality and it's gone.

Also this is definitely a mod bug;

Modding is an imprecise science.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel posted:

Dwarf Fortress dev log:

quote:

There are still all sorts of strange things going on. For instance, when I returned a figurine to a lord, he stuffed it into a personal pouch where his guards couldn't see it, so some of them started interrogating me since they thought I'd hidden it and didn't actually see the hand-off.
The upcoming version should produce plenty of new material for the thread.

The story continues:

devlog posted:

The adventure mode cleaning continues. The logs will be a bit dull while I test and correct, unless something amusing happens. The guards have moved on from interrogating me over delivered artifacts to instead interrogating their own master. I returned an artifact, and the lord took the figurine over to an empty pedestal in the hall and stood there making cheerful remarks. A guard, confused again, ran over and demanded the location of the figurine. The lord was like, "Over my dead body!" They would have started fighting if I didn't break out to debug. I think in this case the guard didn't understand furniture, and also didn't think about their loyalties in the context of item encounters, and so flipped out when the item became "invisible".

Tunicate posted:

Object permanence is hard to code.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

I don't know if this was a glitch, or if the pup just had allergies, but I thought it was funny when I saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIMnbvLS4EQ

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

quote:

the guard didn't understand furniture

This is making me laugh way harder than it probably should

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Nuebot posted:

So can you guys explain why it is like half the time I shoot guys with arrows they just slide through the floor? I don't know if it's a mod caused glitch or what but it's just making me giggle madly every time it happens. I'll kill a guy, he'll fall down. Then his corpse just phases out of reality and it's gone.

Had glitches similar to that off and on throughout both Oblivion and Skyrim. My best guess given the circumstances it usually happened under is that the bodies were losing collision or not colliding properly when entering certain states (generally either ragdolling, becoming paralyzed, or most commonly, when performing a modded animation). If you have a mod that's trying to give people death animations, that's the most likely culprit from my experience, but it can happen even in an unmodded game.

Also, you should try noclipping out of the map sometime after one of those battles; the corpses may still be present under the floor somewhere (or, possibly, over the ceiling, if they're being ejected up over the map).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Also, you should try noclipping out of the map sometime after one of those battles; the corpses may still be present under the floor somewhere (or, possibly, over the ceiling, if they're being ejected up over the map).

One of the first things I did after starting a new Skyrim character was wander into a cave and draw the attention of a bear. I can't possibly fight it, so I start running a circle around the cave to stay alive. After a few rounds of this, I realize the bear is no longer behind me, but I can still hear it roaring somewhere nearby. Eventually, I notice four paws sticking down from the ceiling.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Neito posted:

If you drop a pot or plate in the proper way, it'll force you through a wall. Which is only slightly less stupid than whatever engine Amnesia/SOMA run on, which lets you pick up an object, jump, and then move the object in such a way that you're flying on a plate or cup or someshit.

Skyrim speedrun that abuses the gently caress out of that bug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulYNPbuga_g

Soma speedrun that abuses the bug I talked about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UreO7QuU7Z4

How does someone tear a game completely apart and learn how to exploit every glitch possible but not know how to pronounce the word "staves"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

How does someone tear a game completely apart and learn how to exploit every glitch possible but not know how to pronounce the word "staves"

Neither do loving voice actors.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Dwarf Fortress dev blogs should be mandatory reading for anyone who works with AI

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjHLoY3D88o

This keeps happening to me while playing Nioh. William, you are a samurai, not a ninja, you cannot trick your way through walls.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjHLoY3D88o

This keeps happening to me while playing Nioh. William, you are a samurai, not a ninja, you cannot trick your way through walls.

Classic kendo response.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
GTA graphics mods are getting good, pity the physics is still so buggy.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

General Specific posted:

Classic kendo response.

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W29WzYz8m8