Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Thievery posted:

You have an item in your inventory, it's purple and it's a branch. Use that to leave.

Stormgale posted:

The branch/fragment items take you back to the region menu, the hari-kiri​ sword is for respawning at the shrine

Got it. You guys are right and thank you. They are called a Himorogi Branch (no amrita lost) or a Himorogi Fragment (all amrita lost). I thought these just returned you to the shrine. Duh.
The thing that takes you back to a Shrine from anywhere in the mission (at the sacrifice of your amrita) is called Harakiri Sword. I haven't found one of those yet, I don't think. Maybe I missed it in my inventory.

My question about getting Elixirs via Offerings is more related to this: Are there things you can give at the Shrine via Offering that will guarantee an Elixir as a gift or is it random? I'm bad and never have Elixirs so I'm curious how to best build up a storehouse full of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have spent way too much gold on respeccing but now I'm back in a build I'm comfortable with. Switching gears to ninjutsu after several hours was maybe too drastic of a change too quickly. Back to medium armor, swords, spears, and spirit, with a splash of magic.

I'm starting to think the benefit of medium armor over light isn't that you lose less Life when you get hit, but that you lose less Ki when you get hit.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What causes Twilight Missions to change from lv. 125~ to lv. 20~? It just happened while I was in a menu on the map screen so I jumped on them while they were still doable. When do they go back to being impossible?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

CJacobs posted:

I nominate ninjas for The Worst Enemy Type.

"So okay, we have an enemy that does a lot of damage, can chain combos infinitely, and has poison shurikens and fire arrows that both do DOT effects if they hit you in rapid succession. Also they can block your attacks. This is a standard enemy type that you'll see a lot in ninja-type areas."

"And to compensate we'll make them slow with a wind-up on their attacks, right?"

"Huh? Oh, the game shipped yesterday."

Ninjas seem to run themselves out of Ki hilariously easily though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So does the game ever start getting "alpha demo" hard again, or is it that it was never actually that hard and now I just know how to play Nioh better? Right now about the only thing I'm actually afraid of are the Onyudo (the big tongue yokai) because I'm terrible at dodging their tongue strikes, or fighting groups of yokai at a time. (Then again, there was that one Yoki in the "Ocean Roars Again" level that hit me once for 1300 damage, so maybe I should be scared of them, too.)

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Started this yesterday. This is really fun! The level design seems rather uninspired compared to the Souls titles, but the fighting system is simply amazing. I'm currently wrecking poo poo (more or less) with the Kusarigama, Dual Blades and tons of Ninjutsu. Also thinking about dipping into Spirit some more, but I don't want to spread too thin right away, and all those ninja toys are great fun... I beat my face against the ball-fondling oni for a while, but at some point it just clicked, and now all deaths are purely due to my own stupidity. Took down bat lady first try as well, and there was one crazy submission with waves of onis and firemasks.

Also, the story is straight-up cringe-worthy garbage of the highest level. I see the hack writers from Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma still got a job. :haw:

One question, tho: what exactly is the point of the blacksmith? So far, it looks like I can forge a lot of crap which is worse than everything I can loot, I can merge weapons with others making them universally worse at everything, I can replace special effects with other random effects, and I can disassemble stuff into raw materials which I'm never gonna use (see point 1). Just, uh... What am I supposed to do here? So far, I just equip the stuff with highest attack/fancy abilities/adequate weight, then just throw everything at the kodamas for elixirs. I'm drowning in loot garbage...

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
If you ever need elixirs and are mad you can't buy any, just dump all of your elixir into storage, load up a level (in a region you have more kodama in obviously), himorogi fragment out, repeat process infinitely until capped out.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What do the upper right icons mean in the mission select box? I think the green one is something to do with the prayer shrines but the yellow one?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Torquemadras posted:

Also, the story is straight-up cringe-worthy garbage of the highest level. I see the hack writers from Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma still got a job. :haw:

I lost my poo poo when I realized Jacked Alchemy Voldemort was supposed to be Edward Kelley. Like dude the wood carvings do not do you justice maybe talk to your PR guy about that.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Torquemadras posted:

This is the best part, though!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Frankston posted:

What do the upper right icons mean in the mission select box? I think the green one is something to do with the prayer shrines but the yellow one?

Yellow one means no summoning allowed.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This game has cat clocks and cozy hot springs for your muscular hero to relax in. It also lets me grow out Willy's beard or shave it smooth as the inside of a kunoichi's thigh. Now that I have a Magatama with kodama sense I don't think I could ask for more. It's a real good game yall.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Deified Data posted:

What causes Twilight Missions to change from lv. 125~ to lv. 20~? It just happened while I was in a menu on the map screen so I jumped on them while they were still doable. When do they go back to being impossible?

Twilight Missions are cycled daily I believe? Two levels rotating and so on.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Tomie knows me posted:

This is the best part, though!

That's true. There's something utterly hilarious about the mixture of recklessly mangled history, intentionally bad accents and those earnestly so, William's unironic weeabo-ism, cutscenes awkwardly stumbling from one point to the next, or the fact that nobody seems to give a poo poo about the elaborately insignificant backstory. Like... god, it's bad. I'm half expecting an old-school screenshot LP to pop up on these forums mocking the poo poo out of these dorks.

The fact that there's a genuinely great game behind it makes it the endearing kind of terrible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo I just saw the Red Demon Armor set and now I feel like I have to switch back to light armor. That set bonus is insane. I still can't find any info about whether medium armor is worth it for the damage reduction and I generally like its looks better than light or heavy but drat Red Demon is sick. The top level set bonus is +24% Ki regen, on top of being light enough you can easily be under 30% equip load.

At least I'm a few missions away from getting it. Maybe I'll get a pity Book of Reincarnation by then :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Torquemadras posted:

That's true. There's something utterly hilarious about the mixture of recklessly mangled history, intentionally bad accents and those earnestly so, William's unironic weeabo-ism, cutscenes awkwardly stumbling from one point to the next, or the fact that nobody seems to give a poo poo about the elaborately insignificant backstory. Like... god, it's bad. I'm half expecting an old-school screenshot LP to pop up on these forums mocking the poo poo out of these dorks.

The fact that there's a genuinely great game behind it makes it the endearing kind of terrible.

I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle. It's not bad, it's actually really good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Question about equipment sets that I'd test myself if I was home:

When a set includes a weapon in its set bonus, does that weapon have to be my active weapon for it to count for the set bonus, or does it just have to be in one of my weapon slots? Like, the Warrior of the West set includes his katana. If I switch over to my secondary spear for a while, am I losing a tier of the set bonus?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Harrow posted:

Question about equipment sets that I'd test myself if I was home:

When a set includes a weapon in its set bonus, does that weapon have to be my active weapon for it to count for the set bonus, or does it just have to be in one of my weapon slots? Like, the Warrior of the West set includes his katana. If I switch over to my secondary spear for a while, am I losing a tier of the set bonus?

Just has to be in a slot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emalde posted:

Just has to be in a slot.

Sweet, that's what I hoped. Thanks.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I thought the bathhouse level was a fun goofy romp...and then I got to the boss. :stonk:

Thank goodness for Sloth. Trying to fight a ghost playing keep away and slowing me while a raven tengu is on your rear end is mad hard. I slowed him, killed her, and then was able to just one-on-one him as usual. Man those guys hit hard though.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Torquemadras posted:

I've played too much Samurai Warriors to even bat an eye at this.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Hey, for people who are wondering if certain equipment bonuses stack, there's a page in the Status screen that shows all your active bonuses. That's where you'll see the cumulative totals for everything.

My question: What does a yellow bonus on a piece of equipment signify? I thought it was indicating bonuses that were on more than one piece of your current equipment, but that's not the case. I've seen it on Life + and Luck + and I think Dodge Ki Usage. I know the blue bonuses are ones that get better with more familiarity, but the yellow ones remain a mystery.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LawfulWaffle posted:

My question: What does a yellow bonus on a piece of equipment signify? I thought it was indicating bonuses that were on more than one piece of your current equipment, but that's not the case. I've seen it on Life + and Luck + and I think Dodge Ki Usage. I know the blue bonuses are ones that get better with more familiarity, but the yellow ones remain a mystery.

I think they just signify a rare bonus.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

So quick change. Plus the master ninja outfit that lets you RECOVER your ninjitsu after a living weapon gives you great protection in boss fights. If you get 1 shoted use living weapon and pop another pill.

If you use the spirit stones to get living weapon again you can have infinite protection.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Should I assume that stats that read like "Damage received from ranged attacks +8.4%" means that I take 8.4% less damage from ranged attacks?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
This game is sometimes fun but most of the time it's frustrating and not a good frustrating like Dark Souls. I'd like to maybe get better but it's just not grabbing me enough to. Maybe I'll let it sit for a few days and revisit. It has motivated me to play through Ashes in DS3 though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MMF Freeway posted:

Should I assume that stats that read like "Damage received from ranged attacks +8.4%" means that I take 8.4% less damage from ranged attacks?

Yes.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo I just saw the Red Demon Armor set and now I feel like I have to switch back to light armor. That set bonus is insane. I still can't find any info about whether medium armor is worth it for the damage reduction and I generally like its looks better than light or heavy but drat Red Demon is sick. The top level set bonus is +24% Ki regen, on top of being light enough you can easily be under 30% equip load.

At least I'm a few missions away from getting it. Maybe I'll get a pity Book of Reincarnation by then :v:

I was gushing about the Red Demon set in discord because it makes you look like a power rangers villain

there's also a clan completely dedicated to wearing the set!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I was gushing about the Red Demon set in discord because it makes you look like a power rangers villain

Yeah, it's also the only light armor set I've seen so far that I think looks cool. (Granted, I'm in this to be a samurai and not a ninja, so I'm not too into the ninja look a lot of the light armor has).

I was hoping the Genius Tactician set you get from the Way of the Warrior: Adept dojo trial would be light, since it's cloth and looks rad, but it's medium, so I'm sticking with medium for now. One of these days I want to find a way to test damage reduction differences between light and medium armor and whether the (roughly doubled) damage reduction and Toughness that medium gives over light is actually noticeable in real play. Because even though I say that medium has double the damage reduction of light, it's a difference between 2% and 4%, not like 10% and 20%.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If this game is a success (which it seems to be) and they make another I hope they work on level design a good bit. The levels aren't bad but the sheer amount of one way doors you encounter starts to feel kind of lazy. I have no problem with shortcuts but man at least try to hide them a bit more so they actually feel special.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

If this game is a success (which it seems to be) and they make another I hope they work on level design a good bit. The levels aren't bad but the sheer amount of one way doors you encounter starts to feel kind of lazy. I have no problem with shortcuts but man at least try to hide them a bit more so they actually feel special.

Yeah, even aside from the other level design issues, the game just doesn't have enough different kinds of shortcuts to feel exciting. It's all either open a door or kick down a ladder.

Hell, they have walls you can break down or blow up in some levels, why not use some of those for shortcuts? I know at least one level has a tree you can kick down to make a bridge, that's nice.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

screech on the beach posted:

This game is sometimes fun but most of the time it's frustrating and not a good frustrating like Dark Souls. I'd like to maybe get better but it's just not grabbing me enough to. Maybe I'll let it sit for a few days and revisit. It has motivated me to play through Ashes in DS3 though.

What part of the game are you struggling with?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

screech on the beach posted:

I feel like the game seems a lot more frustrating at first before you shake off some Dark Souls reflexes. After playing the first demo for a while I had a much better handle on it and now I don't really find it frustrating at all.

For example, getting hit in the back wrecks you and the game requires you to pay significantly more attention to Ki (Dark Souls stamina) than you might think at first. The enemy's Ki is really important, too, and you should be trying to drain it as quickly as possible. Get whatever your weapon's kick skill is as soon as you can, because that knocks Ki off humanoid enemies like crazy and lets you critical stab them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
In some ways I think this game is way easier than most Souls things.

But then again I've played way too many of these drat things so I'm probably a bad person to judge that. Also I haven't dipped into any Twilight missions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

In some ways I think this game is way easier than most Souls things.

But then again I've played way too many of these drat things so I'm probably a bad person to judge that. Also I haven't dipped into any Twilight missions.

I think it is easier in that it has more handicaps in your favor and ways you can overcome challenges. I'm not necessarily sure that's a bad thing just a different thing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ImpAtom posted:

I think it is easier in that it has more handicaps in your favor and ways you can overcome challenges. I'm not necessarily sure that's a bad thing just a different thing.

Yeah true. I can see having a real hard time with this game if you don't interact with the skills and loot system in the proper way and really build yourself up.

Also I'm on chapter 4 and already thinking about rolling a new dude so I can do Kusarigama/Ninja build. Not a full restart but just to see what it's like because it seems like it could be real fun.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'd say its harder in the sense that it asks for more mechanical precision and speed, but easier in the sense that the path to progression is more clearly defined. Basically you always know what you have to do and how to do it but you gotta be better at hitting buttons. Also that bat lady boss would not be an early game boss in a souls game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Hino-Enma is kind of a weird difficulty spike. So far, the only boss after her that was nearly as challenging was the optional Tachibana Muneshige fight you unlock at the end of the first region. Every other boss has been a lot easier to deal with. Nue's tricky, too, but I think it's a lot easier to understand how to avoid its attacks (just keep moving when it charges up lightning) than Hino-Enma's, which require much faster dodging reflexes and punish blocking pretty heavily if you don't have a lot of Parry.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

MMF Freeway posted:

I'd say its harder in the sense that it asks for more mechanical precision and speed, but easier in the sense that the path to progression is more clearly defined. Basically you always know what you have to do and how to do it but you gotta be better at hitting buttons. Also that bat lady boss would not be an early game boss in a souls game.

This is exactly how I feel about the game and its almost difficult enough at the precision and button hitting (and my lack of skill at that) that I'm ALMOST not enjoying it

Like the 2nd to last story boss in act 3 required some very precise dodging I couldn't get down and I had to summon. I was still having hard time even with sloth talisman cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Meridian posted:

What part of the game are you struggling with?

Harrow posted:

I feel like the game seems a lot more frustrating at first before you shake off some Dark Souls reflexes. After playing the first demo for a while I had a much better handle on it and now I don't really find it frustrating at all.

For example, getting hit in the back wrecks you and the game requires you to pay significantly more attention to Ki (Dark Souls stamina) than you might think at first. The enemy's Ki is really important, too, and you should be trying to drain it as quickly as possible. Get whatever your weapon's kick skill is as soon as you can, because that knocks Ki off humanoid enemies like crazy and lets you critical stab them.

Yeah, the combat isn't clicking with me. It seems more "cheap" to me than Dark Souls. I'm not digging all the stun locks and the Ki stagger thing is a pain in the rear end.