Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Management posted:

I had an interview on Monday. yesterday morning the recruiter notified me that they want to make an offer. now we get to have the compensation talk.

How much extra are you going to ask for being the oldest person on the floor ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jre posted:

How much extra are you going to ask for being the oldest person on the floor ?

good question. I was going to name an obscenely high value but then I did the math and it's only +35% above my base. their total comp is structured differently so it's hard to compare, but basically I should ask for a lot more.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Cold on a Cob posted:

when did "reaching out to old coworkers when you need a new job" become self-pimping?

all labor under capitalism is prostitution comrade

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

theres no ethical consumption either!!!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Capitalism and ethics are disjoint

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lancemantis posted:

(like 1.5 years awful)

how the hell isnt your company atrophying away??

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

hifi posted:

i talked to a recruiter and literally the next week he hosed off to be an account manager at yelp. i 've had a few interviews at places since thanks to some inside buddies and one of them didn't want to talk to me since i didn't have any experience with tdd and the other one was just a culture fit interview and the guy rambled on about scratch and sniff wallpaper and i probably said maybe a dozen words total and i had to ask my guy to beg hr with what was up (nothing, not a culture fit). and then i went into a spiral of depression. today i looked at linkedin jobs and the first one under entry level wanted a masters degree and 5 years experience to do jr java ecommerce stuff. i think i'd rather be a shadetree plumber at this point

talk to recruiters until you find one that isn't a shithead and let them do the hard work for you

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rex-Goliath posted:

how the hell isnt your company atrophying away??

postdocs are used to this abuse

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idk how job offer poo poo goes but

for my new job they had me edit my online application cause I had an old (irrelevant) job on my PDF resume that I hadn't populated onto their database

then they had to create a new job posting for me to apply to because supposedly it wouldn't let them extend the official offer at the verbally agreed upon salary level

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I've managed to wrangle a business relationship out of this resignation that has led to an open-ended "next time you're looking I want first dibs, name your price" from a company I had been casually talking to.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

idk how job offer poo poo goes but

for my new job they had me edit my online application cause I had an old (irrelevant) job on my PDF resume that I hadn't populated onto their database

then they had to create a new job posting for me to apply to because supposedly it wouldn't let them extend the official offer at the verbally agreed upon salary level

lots of companies require job postings need to be publicly available and go through the process, just if someone wants to hire you already they put real tailored requirements like "needs to post under the name dragon enthusiast" to usher you through HR quickly.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i got a call out of the blue that a job id previously interviewed for in SF and heard no from had an extra slot open, but in Tampa, and i had until cob the next day to accept it.

so im moving to florida now

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dislike button posted:

:rip:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Dislike button posted:

rent, don't buy, hth

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
actually, i have it on good authority that global warming is a hoax perpetrated by the chinese. nothing to worry about

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dislike button posted:

welcome to hell brother

e: i actually do like it here. also florida thread

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My current job I applied for on a Monday, got a interview on a Wednesday, had a job offer on Friday, then didn't start for 8 months. :v:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

I've heard they're next to each other on a particular android keyboard but 1) can't confirm, 2) idk if it's the case here

i did type that from my android phone with the special goog keyboard lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

My current job I applied for on a Monday, got a interview on a Wednesday, had a job offer on Friday, then didn't start for 8 months. :v:

defense industry?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

defense industry?

Security! So close enough. :v:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just took an online coding test for this company and totally blew it even though the question was ridiculously easy. I don't even know what happened, I write this kind of code all the time. I just can't concentrate when there's time pressure.

anyway lol owned. there goes my high from acing last week's way harder interview.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Solomon Grundy, applied on a Monday.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I've only had a post-interview test once and it was for a company where I had an outright abusive interview and I wasn't going to take the job if offered. I didn't get an offer which was kind of sad because I would have torn into the recruiter about how bad their interviews are

"why did you work for company x, then y and z?"

"I enjoyed y and z, they were okay places with great people"

"I'm not here to stroke your ego, those places are terrible. why have you made so many terrible life decisions?"

I'm pretty sure I called this guy an rear end in a top hat to his face during this

we have programming tests too but they're sent beforehand and you have days to complete them at your own pace.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I could have done that test question in half the time allotted and gotten it perfect if there was no clock running. ugh, so annoyed and now I look like an idiot

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

dont sign

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

I could have done that test question in half the time allotted and gotten it perfect if there was no clock running. ugh, so annoyed and now I look like an idiot

tbh this is all of these categories of questions

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I 'passed' a lovely times hackerrank challenge once, just declined to proceed further and told them to fix their poo poo interview process. I'm sure they didn't.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

minivanmegafun posted:

I've only had a post-interview test once and it was for a company where I had an outright abusive interview and I wasn't going to take the job if offered. I didn't get an offer which was kind of sad because I would have torn into the recruiter about how bad their interviews are

"why did you work for company x, then y and z?"

"I enjoyed y and z, they were okay places with great people"

"I'm not here to stroke your ego, those places are terrible. why have you made so many terrible life decisions?"

I'm pretty sure I called this guy an rear end in a top hat to his face during this

we have programming tests too but they're sent beforehand and you have days to complete them at your own pace.

*whispers into you're ear* culture fit

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

da beeper king BABY posted:

I just spent like four loving hours on a programming assignment for a company I'm not even especially interested in.

The upside of this is that the follow-up interview was 20 minutes long and just consisted of questions about the code I submitted, which is a lot easier than trying to solve a new problem on the fly.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
so a Microsoft recruiter hit me up, which usually goes directly to trash. but since I'm actually looking I talked to him and had him send me the position details he thinks I fit. "Software Engineer II". lmao.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

so a Microsoft recruiter hit me up, which usually goes directly to trash. but since I'm actually looking I talked to him and had him send me the position details he thinks I fit. "Software Engineer II". lmao.

on a scale of I to what?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

- who do you work with on a daily basis / describe the day to day role

translation : are you working with a well-defined team that puts out consistent work or is this place a clusterfuck with people coming and going on a weekly basis because management is incompetent

- how are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions

translation: are the people making decisions that impact your work accountable to you / your team and do you have the ability to influence them or are they dictated from on high or even worse forced upon you by a hostile entity

- what are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?

translation: if they say 'uhhhhhhhhhh' here it's a red flag. if they throw gibberish at you it's not a red flag but it's not a good look either. this should get a human bean answer

- what would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?

translation: same as the last one.

- what sort of training/mentoring/career dev things are here

translation: they should also be able to answer this without thinking. if they hesitate or bullshit you it's a red flag

- what's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently

translation: what qualities are people here impressed with. what caliber of candidates are you also considering.

- What do you see as the most challenging aspect of this job?

translation: every job has some bullshit aspect to it. this is their chance to lay it on softly and your chance to decide if it's a particular brand of bullshit you can put up with

- how do you set milestones/deliverables for projects and how does your team react when it's clear they won't be met

translation: are you going to work me like a slave when we don't hit the deadline we never agreed to

- when was the last time you took pto / how much did you take / what did you do

translation: without fail lovely interviewers for lovely companies will try to deflect this one. if they try to say 'oh no don't worry about that' or respond with their actual pto policy just reiterate that they didn't answer your question. when was the last time YOU took pto

I'm just quoting this from about 25 pages back because it was a good post then and it's a good post now and it took me far too long to find it when I needed it just now.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Doom Mathematic posted:

I'm just quoting this from about 25 pages back because it was a good post then and it's a good post now and it took me far too long to find it when I needed it just now.

It is indeed and people who don't ask at least one of these are kind of a red flag to me as an interviewer

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bloody already put it in the op

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thloody

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

on a scale of I to what?

1 and 2 are basically no experience. 3 and 4 are senior engineers. 5 is principal engineer which is the highest most people will ever get. I haven't been a 2 over in 15 years.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

does ms even hire straight into senior?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

1 and 2 are basically no experience. 3 and 4 are senior engineers. 5 is principal engineer which is the highest most people will ever get. I haven't been a 2 over in 15 years.

im a hb9 :wink:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mishaq posted:

im a hb9 :wink:

is that like a h1b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this morning's phone call:

recruiter: so we have this online tool to start with. I can send you a link and you have 24 hours to do it.

me: I don't know when I'll have free time, why is it only 24 hours?

rec: because that's what our system does

me: why?

rec: because we don't want you sharing that link. I can send it to you any day you want, let me know and I'll set a reminder to send it that morning.

• Locked thread