Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*casts Bigby's clenched fist*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plutonis posted:

*casts Bigby's clenched fist*

Where is the effect where he immediately runs away and sulks about it in his safe space after some rando punches him in the mouth, then, we he goes out into public, a random women does it to him again until all he does now is brag about the Patroits and yell on Twitter?

Serf
May 5, 2011

I wonder if this was made before or after he was punched in the side of the head and ran off crying

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

Where is the effect where he immediately runs away and sulks about it in his safe space after some rando punches him in the mouth, then, we he goes out into public, a random women does it to him again until all he does now is brag about the Patroits and yell on Twitter?

I made that same joke but with only one line.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's not even an original piece of artwork, they just swiped it off some guy's deviantart and ran it through a filter!

Somehow that makes me angrier than somebody making a card for a game with that nazi's name on it.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Cassa posted:

Wrestling is pretty anime.

How do you know that anime is actually pretty wrestling?!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
(     . __ . ) . o O (race)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!

thelazyblank posted:

I've never seen a wrestling fed have a match that lasts for several 22-minute episodes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I've never seen a wrestling fed have a match that lasts for several 22-minute episodes.
That would be pretty hilarious, though. Especially if it was still in a different venue each week but still picked up right where it left off at the start of every show.

Speaking of which, what was that Japanese fed that had the batshit insane things like having a ladder be World Champion for a few weeks?

e: nevermind, found it

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Halloween Jack posted:

There is not a man alive who could pull that off.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Hm. Maybe Lucha Underground will have All Month Long next?

(hire me LU)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation

Covok posted:

There is not a man alive who could pull that off.
Harley Race and Dory Funk Jr. in their prime could do it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That would be pretty hilarious, though. Especially if it was still in a different venue each week but still picked up right where it left off at the start of every show.

Speaking of which, what was that Japanese fed that had the batshit insane things like having a ladder be World Champion for a few weeks?

e: nevermind, found it
That championship was also held, very briefly, by each successive component of a bowl of curry, which a wrestler then won by eating the pork cutlet on top. Winning a championship belt by eating your opponent is more hardcore than 1,000,000,000,000,000 sick chairshots.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

That championship was also held, very briefly, by each successive component of a bowl of curry, which a wrestler then won by eating the pork cutlet on top. Winning a championship belt by eating your opponent is more hardcore than 1,000,000,000,000,000 sick chairshots.
Personally, I liked the one where the audience became champion, then immediately lost it due to being counted out of the ring.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

I wonder if this was made before or after he was punched in the side of the head and ran off crying

Before. Those knockoff Magic cards have been around for awhile.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What the gently caress did I just read.

I've never cared about wrestling either way, but this is so weird I'm debating at least watching some highlights.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've never cared about wrestling either way, but this is so weird I'm debating at least watching some highlights.

Look up the title change when a dog pinned a ladder. It was adorable.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Xiahou Dun posted:

Lots of clips are floating around on daily motion and the like, but DDT Universe is an amazing service and only $8 a month.

This is the same promotion that has a blowup doll and invisible man as competitors. That's silly as hell but you watch those matches and it blows your mind witnessing the talent of the person in the ring selling those as believable competitors.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 10, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Personally, I liked the one where the audience became champion, then immediately lost it due to being counted out of the ring.

The fact that three different ladders have won, and at times successfully defended the title amuses me. Also the fact that the belt has not only been the champion of itself, but it has also been won and lost by an entirely imaginary wrestler named Arnold Skeskejanaker.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

That's silly as hell but you watch those matches and it blows your mind witnessing the talent of the person in the ring selling those as believable competitors.
Seriously, this guy sells being powerbombed by a blow-up doll better than some wrestlers I've seen facing real humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LApVz53Spw

I can't find any videos of the ladder winning, though.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Audience becomes champion due to forfeit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_SYCrJK6xg

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
There was also the time that Eric Bischoff challenged Vince McMahon to a shoot fight, and when Vince declined, he did put himself on a WCW card just so he could have the ref count out McMahon and declare victory. That wasn't comedy wrestling, that's just how deluded and petty Bischoff was at the time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The slow collapse of WCW is fascinating on a lot of levels. I still say the best was Bischoff trying to spoil that Mick Foley was going to win the belt on RAW, which lead to most of his audience going "oh poo poo, Foley's finally getting the belt? I gotta see that! *channel switch*".

This also gives me a chance to link 306 Quotes from Meltzer about WCW, which is mostly about Russo's stuff but is still great reading.

quote:

"Thursday was supposed to be a grudge Flair vs. Benoit lumberjack match. However, WCW forgot to tell Flair he was booked. Jason Hervey was in Charlotte at request of management and they gave Flair off Thunder because they were producing an upcoming Flair home video, but never informed the people writing the show about Flair having the day off. When they panicked since Flair wasn't there at 6pm, they called him and told him to get to Syracuse. At the cost of thousands of dollars, they chartered a flight from Charlotte to Syracuse to get Flair to Thunder, but due to the weather problems it couldn't get off the ground until 7pm. The show was put together with the idea that Flair would do several interviews building to the Benoit match. So virtually the entire Thunder show was filling time. Flair finally arrived at 9:55pm, but they had already changed plans for the show because they had to be off the air at 10:03pm because TBS decreed that the Chimp movie had to start on time. When Flair got there, they told him he wasn't needed and to go right back home. So, as a panic move, the decision was made to turn the Kanyon-Saturn singles match into a tag title match. However, Bam Bam Bigelow wasn't there either, so Kanyon defended the titles with Page with zero explanation given to have this make sense. It wasn't even announced as a title match until about a minute left"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Evil Mastermind posted:

Seriously, this guy sells being powerbombed by a blow-up doll better than some wrestlers I've seen facing real humans.

Ibushi is maybe the best wrestler working today, and looks like an irl superhero. He's also in the latest movie from the visionary auteur behind Calamari Wrestler and Crab Goalkeeper. https://youtu.be/MyZQt-Rny4U

Minoru Suzuki is also there for some reason.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

thelazyblank posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUOegCG3v1A

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anyone post Ultimate Muscle yet? The famous wrestling anime?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Covok posted:

Anyone post Ultimate Muscle yet? The famous wrestling anime?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Evil Mastermind posted:

CHIKARA did it once.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If you didn't believe that wrestling was anime CHIKARA would fix that real drat quick.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

CHIKARA is pretty great and I'd be more into it if it didn't already have that wall of continuity built up.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's not nearly as bad now that there's streaming for the tape catalogue but that's definitely a problem yeah.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I have the weirdest urge after reading this page to run a game that involves punching lots of nazis.

maybe after my cat is back home

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Reene posted:

I have the weirdest urge after reading this page to run a game that involves punching lots of nazis.

The gaming industry could really tap into some serious cultural zeitgeist by releasing a bunch of antifa media right about now.

Like, even a rerelease of the earlier Call of Duty games could probably sell well.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Reene posted:

Superhero game set in the Golden Age of comics would be a good way to do it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The gaming industry could really tap into some serious cultural zeitgeist by releasing a bunch of antifa media right about now.

Like, even a rerelease of the earlier Call of Duty games could probably sell well.

I love to shoot Hitler in the face but people cynically trying to profit on the Culture War going on are the lowest of the low.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

conversely, media such as tabletop games also serve as ways of communicating values to large bands of people, values such as "it is good to punch nazis"

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Just play some Eclipse Phase. It has about as much nuance as the unilateral call for Nazi-punching has.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

That game already exists it's called Wolfenstein the New Order. It is getting a sequel sometime in the next year or so.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Best drat video I've seen in a while.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SunAndSpring posted:

Superhero game set in the Golden Age of comics would be a good way to do it.

Hope that Golden Age Champions turns out to be good(as well as the accompanying Encyclopedia of Golden Age Heroes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Plutonis posted:

I love to shoot Hitler in the face but people cynically trying to profit on the Culture War going on are the lowest of the low.

I don't make a habit out of agreeing with Plutonis, but I 1000% agree with Plutonis here.

• Locked thread