Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

MMF Freeway posted:

I'd say its harder in the sense that it asks for more mechanical precision and speed, but easier in the sense that the path to progression is more clearly defined. Basically you always know what you have to do and how to do it but you gotta be better at hitting buttons. Also that bat lady boss would not be an early game boss in a souls game.

She's not any more difficult than Cleric or Bloodstarved Beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

screech on the beach posted:

Yeah, the combat isn't clicking with me. It seems more "cheap" to me than Dark Souls. I'm not digging all the stun locks and the Ki stagger thing is a pain in the rear end.

When you're getting combo'd by an enemy, don't try to dodge out of it--hit block instead (L1 by default). Your guard comes out much faster than a dodge and every weapon has 100% physical block, in Dark Souls terms. Blocking is also 360 degrees, so if an enemy is about to hit you from behind, you don't have to turn around to block it. I'm still guilty of mashing dodge when I'm getting combo'd, but it's a much better idea to throw out a block and then dodge out.

And yeah, Ki management is a huge deal, and running out is significantly more punishing than running out of Stamina in a Souls game. If you go into negative Ki, you're worn out and the enemy gets to critical attack you. So it's really important to learn how to Ki pulse and to make sure you never over-commit and spend all your Ki attacking. Spam-dodging is also a worse idea than it is in Bloodborne, and dodging backwards is about an equally bad idea.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Belzac posted:

She's not any more difficult than Cleric or Bloodstarved Beast.

I mean I'd say the bloodborne is also harder than any souls games for the same reason, but c'mon cleric beast? Like yeah its a slog with a +0 weapon but that's a classic dark souls hit him in the rear end forever fight. I'll admit that bsb gave me mad trouble my first time through, but not on the same level as bat girl imo. Bat girl was like lady maria level for me.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Ki pulsing is something you eventually stop worrying about because it's just what you do all the drat time. It's weird at first but eventually becomes second nature like active reloading in Gears.

Bat Girl for me was the "stay out of her way" fight. She telegraphs everything and blocking her is just going to get you killed. Let he do her thing and move in when she's pausing after an attack.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Seems like if someone summons you and does not have their spirit animal because they died, when you get close to them for the first time, your spirit animal flies into them and they get its bonuses until they can recover their amrita. Pretty cool feature if that's how it works.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

Seems like if someone summons you and does not have their spirit animal because they died, when you get close to them for the first time, your spirit animal flies into them and they get its bonuses until they can recover their amrita. Pretty cool feature if that's how it works.

As in, you both have a spirit guardian then?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Torquemadras posted:

Also, the story is straight-up cringe-worthy garbage of the highest level. I see the hack writers from Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma still got a job. :haw:

They took me fairy! Also some Japanese stuff that's impossible to care about.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Digirat posted:

I noticed the same thing.

Snak posted:

Yes, you both have the same spirit guardian. I don't think the other player can use living weapon but I didn't test it either. But I definitely saw what he's talking about, my spirit guardian jumped into my friend since his was at his bloodstain when we co-op'd, and it showed my guardian's symbol next to both of our HP bars.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I feel like between living weapon and replenishable magics if you get a boss to 30% you can just blow your magical spirit wad to finish them.

The whole game revolves around getting the ki pulse mechanic. It really punishes you for running out of ki. The game feels kind of deceptive because it gives you all these cool combos that you want to use but most of time you really shouldn't unless really good at using ki pulses and stance dancing. Weapon range feels important in this than the Souls games when it comes to bosses. It feels similar to Bloodborne in that respect.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I can hit perfect Ki pulses most of the time but then I always get greedy and just immediately start attacking again before it's actually filled back up

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I feel like I do better if I burn my Living Weapon at the start of a boss fight, cause I'll usually regen the rest and have enough to finish it off.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bogart posted:

I feel like I do better if I burn my Living Weapon at the start of a boss fight, cause I'll usually regen the rest and have enough to finish it off.

It depends upon your pokemon. My old one took forever to charge but hit like a truck, so I'd save it for the end of bosses so I didn't end up wasting it. If I could get a boss to 40%, then I'd hit it, and usually get them down to a sliver that I can easily finish after.

But I switched to a new one that charges faster, and now I'm using the ninja set that gives you back ninjitsu charges when you use living weapon, so I use it much earlier to get back my ninja tools and also let it charge up a second time.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

Bat girl was like lady maria level for me.

Lady Maria might be the best fight From has ever done imo. I was cursing the whole time while trying to beat it. It flight more about execution than anything else. Bat girl felt more like how does this stun mechanic work combined with ok what is she telegraphing now. I spent 10 attempts on bat girl kinda of just figuring out what stance and what weapon I want to use while trying to figure her out. After that I took me another 10 to actually killer her.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Hino-Enma took me two tries, as opposed to Onryoki's half dozen :shrug: The game dumps a lot of anti-paralysis stuff and ranged ammo right before her boss room so I got the hint. Onryoki just hits like a truck and a lot of his attacks were tricky to dodge. H-E's biggest weakness is that she's almost always just attacking you in a straight line.

The difficulty of Nioh is hard to put your finger on. As others have said, a big part of it is simply forgetting you're not playing Dark Souls for a minute and attacking when you mean to dodge or vice versa. Most single enemies are trivial except for your first few Yokai encounters, 2 enemies are doable but mean trouble, 3 enemies are a stiff challenge, 4 or more is virtual suicide and you're playing wrong. All the stones they dump on you are a good indicator that you should take a Central Yarnham burning werewolf square approach to encounters, and they seem designed around luring some away until the remainder are manageable. loving up stamina management has stiffer penalties than Souls, but Nioh also lets you apply these penalties to enemies so I feel like Ki in general is a net advantage to the player.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A tip for anyone struggling on humanoid bosses, especially early on: unlock the Lifeseal Talisman in the Onmyo Magic tree. It makes enemy Ki regenerate very slowly. Bosses like Tachibana Muneshige regenerate Ki pretty quickly, so it can be hard to rush them down and get grapples on them. But tag them with Lifeseal, no problem at all.

Later on, the Sloth Talisman kind of obsoletes Lifeseal if you can only take one, but use both on an enemy and they might as well just be a little ant for you to crush.

Deified Data posted:

Hino-Enma took me two tries, as opposed to Onryoki's half dozen :shrug: The game dumps a lot of anti-paralysis stuff and ranged ammo right before her boss room so I got the hint. Onryoki just hits like a truck and a lot of his attacks were tricky to dodge. H-E's biggest weakness is that she's almost always just attacking you in a straight line.

I beat Onryoki in one go, but that's because I learned how to fight him during the alpha/beta demos so I already knew what I was in for. When I fought him during the alpha I had a real bad time because I hadn't figured out the dodge i-frame timing yet. Hino-Enma was way harder for me, but I think it took three-four tries?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 10, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I never beat him in the demo -_-

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Deified Data posted:

The difficulty of Nioh is hard to put your finger on. As others have said, a big part of it is simply forgetting you're not playing Dark Souls for a minute and attacking when you mean to dodge or vice versa. Most single enemies are trivial except for your first few Yokai encounters, 2 enemies are doable but mean trouble, 3 enemies are a stiff challenge, 4 or more is virtual suicide and you're playing wrong. All the stones they dump on you are a good indicator that you should take a Central Yarnham burning werewolf square approach to encounters, and they seem designed around luring some away until the remainder are manageable. loving up stamina management has stiffer penalties than Souls, but Nioh also lets you apply these penalties to enemies so I feel like Ki in general is a net advantage to the player.

Why use stones when you can pop people's heads straight off with a bow and arrow like Ashitaka in Princess Mononoke?

This is me in Nioh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I never beat him in the demo -_-

I never got to Hino-Enma in the beta demo and I never beat Nue in the alpha demo, so I know the feeling.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How many levels are there? With all these sub-missions it seems like even if there aren't that many locations, I will be playing this for a while. I always like that with Souls-type games I spend more time trying to beat the first area than I do with some whole Call of Duty campgaigns

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I've finished off more than half the bosses I've fought by chucking bombs at them from a safe distance. Like, I'll get aggressive in the beginning but I've played enough Souls games to know that it's the last three hits that'll make me impatient and get killed getting greedy. I've got no problems lobbing explosives at problems, and the hand cannon's great for it. My stats don't really align with hand cannon usage, but it feels real good to get a bit of space, hunker down with the cannon, then blow a hole in a boss coming straight at me. The Centipede seems practically designed to eat ranged damage since you can pretty easily force it to take a long and winding route around the arena to get to you, so feed it some explosive rounds.

As long as William doesn't find some book detailing the Bushido code I will resort to pirate tactics to become the best samurai in Zipangu.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many levels are there? With all these sub-missions it seems like even if there aren't that many locations I will be playing this for a while. I always like that with Souls-type games I spend more time trying to beat the first area than I do with some whole Call of Duty campgaigns

I think I read there's something like 20 main missions? And I think there's at least one sub-mission per main mission, sometimes two, and other scattered sub-missions on the mission select map.

I'm a little annoyed that some of the sub-missions reuse maps from other regions, though. There's a sub-mission in the second region that uses the same map as a sub-mission in the first region despite being supposedly different places. I have no problem with the map being the same when you do a sub-mission in the same place as a main mission, that just makes sense, but full-on recycling bugs me.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Deified Data posted:

The difficulty of Nioh is hard to put your finger on. As others have said, a big part of it is simply forgetting you're not playing Dark Souls for a minute and attacking when you mean to dodge or vice versa. Most single enemies are trivial except for your first few Yokai encounters, 2 enemies are doable but mean trouble, 3 enemies are a stiff challenge, 4 or more is virtual suicide and you're playing wrong.

Once your over 3 it really requires lots of space and a weapon with good range. My current record is 6 humans in one of the early missions, I basically ran around in the circle with a spear in low stance for a few minutes. Sweeping attacks for everyone!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Why use stones when you can pop people's heads straight off with a bow and arrow like Ashitaka in Princess Mononoke?

Nioh nails ranged combat in a Soulsesque context sooo hard.

I typically reserve my arrows for enemies I know I'll be able to decapitate in one hit. Everyone else gets a shuriken to the face as a greeting.

Calidus posted:

Once your over 3 it really requires lots of space and a weapon with good range. My current record is 6 humans in one of the early missions, I basically ran around in the circle with a spear in low stance for a few minutes. Sweeping attacks for everyone!

My strategy for mobs so far is try to group them up and nail as many with the spear's mid-stance strong attack as possible.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
What does increasing your Magic Power actually do? Does it increase the damage of your weapon enchantments, or increase length of debuff spells? I can't test right now.

I want to thank whatever dev at Team Ninja it was that put in the Refashion option. Killing youkai in full platemail, or my mariner's gear and a wooden sword, is dope.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I feel like this game wasn't balanced for people who do every single side mission as soon as it's available. I feel like I've been super OP for most of the game. Haven't had a really challenging fight since the dude in the tall grass in the first region. It's still fun and good, but I'd like a bit more tension in the challenge. I guess I should have been less of a completionist? But it seems like if I'd skipped the side stuff for later, then that would have been too easy upon returning. Hrm.

Also, a bit over 3/4 of the way through the story missions and I'm still only using mid-stance axes (Except during a couple of bosses that move too fast for it. I briefly switched to low stance for them). I have the problem in all the Souls games of just rocking the greatswords and never branching out. The mid-stance axe feels about the same as those in terms of range, speed, and arc... so the same problem is following me to Nioh.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many levels are there? With all these sub-missions it seems like even if there aren't that many locations, I will be playing this for a while. I always like that with Souls-type games I spend more time trying to beat the first area than I do with some whole Call of Duty campgaigns

There are 15 story missions, and a ton of side missions. Each story mission has its own zone. It seems like there are one or two side-mission exclusive zones (as in not main mission in reverse or remixed versions of earlier side missions) for each region. So probably a little over 20 unique zones total, which is on par with a Souls game. Most of the story zones after the first region are really big too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If you think its too easy just stop leveling up or changing gear. You can keep doing side-missions just don't necessarily take advantage of all the extra amrita. Pretend you died or something :shrug:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

If you think its too easy just stop leveling up or changing gear. You can keep doing side-missions just don't necessarily take advantage of all the extra amrita. Pretend you died or something :shrug:

Yeah if I'd known that would happen in advance I would have done it. People said that enemies became much more lethal at the halfway point, though. So, I was nervous about being gimped going into it. And I still am hesitant to stop leveling because I'd hate to run into a final boss that will require tons of grinding because I hadn't been leveling as I went or something.

That kind of self-imposed handicap really requires advanced knowledge of how the difficulty will scale. Not really feasible for a first run.

Also, there are missions that require stats to be at a certain level to unlock... so I'd have to skip those.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HellCopter posted:

What does increasing your Magic Power actually do? Does it increase the damage of your weapon enchantments, or increase length of debuff spells? I can't test right now.

I'd guess it increases damage whenever applicable, but I'm also curious how magic power affects debuffs that don't do damage, like Lifeseal or Sloth.

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, I've never found "intentionally handicap yourself" to be a satisfying way to deal with unsatisfying difficulty.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snak posted:

Yes, their icon goes from empty to whatever yours is. Not sure if they also get bonuses they would not normally be able to have if they have low spirit but you have high spirit.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There are 18 main levels.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah if I'd known that would happen in advance I would have done it. People said that enemies became much more lethal at the halfway point, though. So, I was nervous about being gimped going into it. And I still am hesitant to stop leveling because I'd hate to run into a final boss that will require tons of grinding because I hadn't been leveling as I went or something.

That kind of self-imposed handicap really requires advanced knowledge of how the difficulty will scale. Not really feasible for a first run.

Also, there are missions that require stats to be at a certain level to unlock... so I'd have to skip those.

If you are looking for a challenge isn't that what New Game+ is for? I mean, I've died 170 times in the first two levels so I'm kind of glad they have some kind of curve to things

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you are looking for a challenge isn't that what New Game+ is for? I mean, I've died 170 times in the first two levels so I'm kind of glad they have some kind of curve to things

Hopefully it's what the main game is for? If I have to play 80+ hours to get to the level of challenge I want... I don't have that kind of time.

Like, I want the tension that Bloodborne gives you when you're going up against its bosses the first time through. Nioh's all go down a bit easy for my tastes.

I'm still loving the game, this is just one disappointment I have with it.

Edit: To clarify, the first region was tuned just right for me. I died to the bosses I hadn't already learned from the beta a few times, which is what should happen. Everything after that has gone down in one or two goes without much trouble, though... and that's just a little unsatisfying.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 10, 2017

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I think I'm some kind of autistic savant. I can destroy human bosses like muneshige with my thumbs tied around my back, but then Umi Bozu shows up and I fall into a gap in front of him like 90 million times. I've put in so hard for njnjutsu, I have no idea what to do against a boss that can't be elemented or poisoned to death.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Hopefully it's what the main game is for? If I have to play 80+ hours to get to the level of challenge I want... I don't have that kind of time.

Like, I want the tension that Bloodborne gives you when you're going up against its bosses the first time through. Nioh's all go down a bit easy for my tastes.

I'm still loving the game, this is just one disappointment I have with it.

Lots of other people are massively struggling. Its hard to make something one-size-fits-all. Hopefully the campaign isn't a complete breeze for you, or you're a god like belzac I guess :v:

Soloing twilight missions should give you a pretty good challenge as well as NG+, and doesn't take quite as long as getting all the way through. Today's twilight missions are some of the earlier ones unlike yesterday where it was late game missions, so everybody should have them available.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FisheyStix posted:

I think I'm some kind of autistic savant. I can destroy human bosses like muneshige with my thumbs tied around my back, but then Umi Bozu shows up and I fall into a gap in front of him like 90 million times. I've put in so hard for njnjutsu, I have no idea what to do against a boss that can't be elemented or poisoned to death.

Umibozu is kinda a gimmick fight. Just bait his tentacles and hit the weak spots. That's the whole fight. It just takes awhile to whittle him down. Use the fire from the braziers to light your weapon, or use your own fire talismans. He's weak to fire.

The main challenge of that fight is just dodging his laser beam since its a 1-shot kill. Once you get him to phase 2 I think he's pretty easy.

You can also hit his eye right after he shoots the laser beam for some good damage, but be careful. Approach from the side.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

^^^ To add to what Zaphod said, you can tell he's going to do his laser when his "mouth" is on level with the floor. If it's higher up he's just going to shoot debris or yokai realm clouds.

Zaphod42 posted:

Lots of other people are massively struggling. Its hard to make something one-size-fits-all. Hopefully the campaign isn't a complete breeze for you, or you're a god like belzac I guess :v:

Soloing twilight missions should give you a pretty good challenge as well as NG+, and doesn't take quite as long as getting all the way through. Today's twilight missions are some of the earlier ones unlike yesterday where it was late game missions, so everybody should have them available.

Heh, I mean I don't think I'm an amazing player... but maybe I've just played these sorts of games too much. DS3 had the exact same issue for me, so it's possible I guess. I haven't tried twilight missions yet, I thought they were for coop. I'll give them a shot during my next play session though.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 10, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Umibozu is kinda a gimmick fight. Just bait his tentacles and hit the weak spots. That's the whole fight. It just takes awhile to whittle him down. Use the fire from the braziers to light your weapon, or use your own fire talismans. He's weak to fire.

I didn't know I could do that fuuuuuuuuuck I spent so many of those consumable, short-lived fire talismans on that fight because I hadn't unlocked the Fire Talisman on my onmyo tree yet.

Fire does gently caress him up, though. I went from doing poo poo for damage to eating through his life as soon as I started using fire.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
The blindness effect is amazing. It will cause enemies (including bosses) to attack in random directions.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Zaphod42 posted:

The main challenge of that fight is just dodging his laser beam since its a 1-shot kill. Once you get him to phase 2 I think he's pretty easy.

You can also hit his eye right after he shoots the laser beam for some good damage, but be careful. Approach from the side.

I can actually do it when I'm paying attention. My current strategy is to use a couple flame talismans then dip my sword in the bonfires. The Holy flame seems to do more damage than my fire talismans, so I save them for later.

I've even gotten him to his second form a few times. My problem, I think, is that I don't stay aggressive and he eventually tags me with something. Maybe I aught to just dump damage into him nonstop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I was gonna ask if I was the only one rolling in amrita and generally going into each mission 10 levels higher than recommended. I'm not grinding and I'm not trying to scum my way through the game, I just like exploring and doing side content.

I'm content just leveling up every time I get the chance to, even if it makes some parts too easy. I still died to the second level a lot despite being overleveled for it. Souls had the same problem. So long as they balance progression with the assumption that the player will lose all their souls/blood/amrita a couple times an area, and you're anything like me and always go and reclaim that poo poo, you will always be overleveled.