Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Worst case just say you really like Always Sunny, and Sweet Dee is very much so still alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Moridin920 posted:

my friend got a job at Northropp right outta college with a decent but not amazing GPA. 40 hours a week except every other Friday off. Full benefits. $75k+ when he started (it is more now that he has been there a couple years). Nothing super sexy, nothing super flashy, but he also isn't killing himself.

My other friend did the same exact thing down to the every other Friday off but at another company.

I don't doubt there is tough competition in the field (and increasingly so as people swarm to it) but c'mon you can't tell me it is just average to work 60+ hours a week and get treated worse than a dishwasher and they gotta just take it up the butt and deal.

I'm surprised Northropp offered so much right out of college. A buddy of mine got started at Lockheed (with a decent GPA too) and was offered something on the lower end of average. I also had someone from Raytheon come speak to us for our Computer Engineering senior project course that said not to expect to be paid well if you work for a defense contractor.

That being said, most of my friends and I work in tech for various companies, and none of us work over forty hours a week. I don't know how these people get suckered into that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nazzadan posted:

Worst case just say you really like Always Sunny, and Sweet Dee is very much so still alive

The reference to Omar made me think her name must be D'Angelo.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Nazzadan posted:

It's unlikely that many people at the wedding would have watched The Wire or cared anyway, and it's not like it's weird that he would call her D when it's the first letter of her name. So fiancee sounds pretty dumb.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Batterypowered7 posted:

I'm surprised Northropp offered so much right out of college. A buddy of mine got started at Lockheed (with a decent GPA too) and was offered something on the lower end of average. I also had someone from Raytheon come speak to us for our Computer Engineering senior project course that said not to expect to be paid well if you work for a defense contractor.

That being said, most of my friends and I work in tech for various companies, and none of us work over forty hours a week. I don't know how these people get suckered into that.

really depends what you're doing, those companies are gently caress huge Umbrella Corp messes

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

The reference to Omar made me think her name must be D'Angelo.

I think fiancee was concerned about the implied disrespect to Flat Nose Dink, RIP

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Grevling posted:

The fiance [30sM] of my best friend [29F] wants me [29F] to stop calling her the nickname I gave her. I don't know how to diplomatically tell him no.

Maybe fiancee just hates snitches. Oh well, OP and his friend can get married and enjoy excellent television together now.

We have a family friend that went by a pretty silly nickname his entire adult life, then he got married and his wife made it veeeeerrry clear he wasn't to be called that anymore.
I found that so weird

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Batterypowered7 posted:

I also had someone from Raytheon come speak to us for our Computer Engineering senior project course that said not to expect to be paid well if you work for a defense contractor.

Well of course the Raytheon guy would say that haha. Yeah idk, he's got a pretty good head on his shoulders though.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

really depends what you're doing, those companies are gently caress huge Umbrella Corp messes

Yeah def this though.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

We have a family friend that went by a pretty silly nickname his entire adult life, then he got married and his wife made it veeeeerrry clear he wasn't to be called that anymore.
I found that so weird

Yeah I'da kept calling him that unless he himself told me nah.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Batterypowered7 posted:

Quite. Don't work for companies that think excess hours are productive, let alone those that make it effectively mandatory.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Grevling posted:

The fiance [30sM] of my best friend [29F] wants me [29F] to stop calling her the nickname I gave her. I don't know how to diplomatically tell him no.

Maybe fiancee just hates snitches. Oh well, OP and his friend can get married and enjoy excellent television together now.

Nah, her reaction tells me her fiance is probably a controlling douche and has overstepped boundaries before this. Sucks but her options are counseling or cutting ties because that poo poo ain't healthy.

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

Grevling posted:

I've seen this story before and the update is even better. I wanted to bold the highlights but it's so crazy I would have to bold the whole thing.

quote:

UPDATE: The fiance [30sM] of my best friend [29F] wants me [29F] to stop calling her the nickname I gave her. I don't know how to diplomatically tell him no

submitted 6 months ago by DandCeese

Update from this: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/4uf6yk/the_fiance_30sm_of_my_best_friend_29f_wants_me/ I tried posting earlier, but it immediately got removed because the original post was still on the front page of r/relationships. So! Apparently! I wasn't the only person who D's fiance decided to message! He messaged everyone in her bridal party!

D and her older brother are very close, and she wanted him to be one of her bridesmaids. I guess that would make him a "brides...man"? Or something? Whatever, doesn't matter. Anyway, the message her brother received said that will no longer be happening, as the wedding was going to be "traditional," and D's brother would be replaced with the fiance's sister (who lives on the other side of the country, and who D has met...like...four times?)

D's cousin was also messaged, informing her that because of her "lifestyle" (she's gay), she will no longer be part of D's bridal party. However, if her cousin leaves her wife at home for the wedding, her position will be reconsidered.

Another of D's bridesmaids has short hair, a nose piercing, and small, but visible tattoos. Again, dismissed from the bridal party, unless she changes her appearance to be more "presentable."

And then there was me. I guess he couldn't find much dirt on me, so he just...decided to reprimand me for my choice in nicknames for her. Or something, I don't loving know.

She was completely unaware that any of this had happened, and was just quietly sitting at home alone when her brother called her and was like, "What the hell is going on?" D was understandably very confused, and her brother explained the message. At first she thought he was kidding, but he forwarded it to her. She immediately called her fiance (who was out with friends) and demanded an explanation.

He calmly explained that yes, he did send that message to her brother, and he messaged the other members in her bridal party as well, and told her his reasons why. As if on cue, her phone starts BLOWING UP with texts and phone calls from her cousin (understandably, as her cousin arguably got the worst message out of all of us). D basically said to her fiance, "You need to come home right now," hangs up on him, and calls her cousin.

After spending time calming her cousin down, she calls me, and we had our brief, but informative, conversation. And then she called her tattooed friend. At this point, it's been about half an hour since she first called her fiance, and he still wasn't home. So she called him again, being like, "WHERE ARE YOU? COME HOME. RIGHT NOW."

Her fiance then tells her, no, he will not be coming home right now. He is out with friends and will return when he chooses to. He threw in, "You're being emotional right now anyway, I expect you to stop acting like a child by the time I return." She was so furious that she just hung up on him.

He finally meanders his rear end home, and she immediately loses her poo poo at him. He keeps telling her to "stop being irrational" and "think logically," to which she basically responded with "what the gently caress are you talking about, there was nothing rational or logical about what you did." He starts talking about how weddings "aren't just about the bride" (which is like -- what?! No! D is not the type of person to think that her wedding is only going to be about her!), it's about bringing family and friends together, and he can't have "people like your friends" in front of all of his friends and family. What about his professional reputation (he's some highfalutin lawyer), what will his parents think when they see her friend "with all the piercings" (she has ONE nose piercing!) and me calling her some ridiculous "black name" during my wedding speech (Look, I never use this phrase, but this is the phrase I can think of: WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN. "Black" name?! "BLACK" NAME?!)

D, at this point, was so furious that she tried to throw him out. But he just sighed, sat down on the couch and said, "You are being utterly ridiculous right now. I am not leaving. You need to calm down." So she decided to leave instead. As she was packing her stuff, he kept heaving great sighs and calling some variation of "You're being so irrational. Calm down" to her from across the apartment.

So she left. She called me, absolutely livid, asking if she could come over to my place. I, of course, said yes, and when she arrived, she told me everything that happened.

There was one point when we were talking where she covered her face with her hands and just started sobbing. She said that she knew that their relationship hasn't been going well for a while. All he did was go to work, spend time with his other obnoxious lawyer friends, come home, watch CNN or MSNBC, and sleep. Their conversations became painfully one-sided, where he would talk endlessly about something she didn't find interesting, and whenever she would try to change the subject, he would basically wait for her to stop, and then keep talking as if she had said nothing at all. He never helped clean around the apartment, as "cleaning was not as important to him as it was to her, so she should do it" and "it was going to get messy again, anyway." He stopped holding her hand in public, if she was upset or sad about something, he would always find some excuse to leave, I mean...the list kept going. He's just this thoughtless, self-centered jerk. Honestly, I always got dick-ish vibes from him (see previous post where I briefly mention how hard it was to get him to talk to you unless you talked about something he was interested in), but I never knew he was that big of a dick.

She and her fiance texted last night and this morning, and again, there was more, "Stop this. You're being childish. Come home." She said she wasn't being childish, that there was some really serious problems in their relationship, and she doesn't think they can move forward without some premarital counseling. He replied with, "Fine. Now, are you coming home tonight?"

It initially took her a few hours for her to respond to that text. As soon as she read it, she slumped over on my couch, pulled her knees up to her chest, and said, "I really don't want to go back in that apartment." She later said that she has a really heavy feeling that even if they did go to premarital counseling, nothing would change. She could easily see him thinking that he is "smarter" than the therapist, and trying to use the therapist to convince her that she's being "irrational."

I then asked, "So...does that mean the wedding isn't going to happen?" She just burst into tears again. :( I felt really awful asking that. I probably shouldn't have asked that. I held her and apologized and kept saying, "It's OK, it's OK, you don't have to answer that right now," until she calmed down.

She decided she wanted another night away from him, and she texted him to let him know that. He has yet to respond.

Out of curiosity, I did ask her if she thinks his message to me had anything to do with us hooking up in the past. She said no, she never told him that she was bisexual. She said she never felt comfortable sharing that with him. She burst into tears again when she said this, admitting, "That's probably a sign that this relationship was hosed up from the start."

Anyway. D and I both took the day off from work. We spent it eating ice cream and day drinking and marathoning Parks and Rec. We went for a walk, and she talked and cried a lot.

Right now, all her bridesmaids (including her brother) are at my place. They contacting her all day, asking if she was OK, if they could come see her. I told her she can tell them all that they can come over to my place later, and initially, she said no. She said she was so embarrassed by everything that happened that she wasn't sure she could handle seeing everyone. I shut that down pretty quick, saying she had nothing to be embarrassed about, all this bullshit has everything to do with her fiance, not her. It took a little more convincing (and her friends and bro offering to bring more alcohol and ice cream, haha), but they're all here now. Her cousin brought her wife, too, and D started crying again as soon as they walked in, and apologized profusely to the two of them. They insisted that wasn't necessary, but she apologized anyway.

She's gonna spend the night at her brother's tonight. I told her she was welcome to stay here, but her brother and his wife have, like, an actual house, and so there are guest rooms she can stay in, as opposed to my 1BR apartment. Said brother is making her favorite dinner right now, there's about twenty pints of Ben and Jerry's in the fridge, and more wine and vodka than you can shake a stick at. We still got Parks and Rec on in the background, and we're all piled on my couch with her. She's all burrito-d up in a blanket, and I dumped a basket of stuffed animals on her head earlier today (which made her crack up laughing). Basically, we're all just trying to be there for her as best we can.

tl;dr: Fiance came at all the kings in D's life, and missed. Now we're dealing with the fallout. Well, on the plus side...I get to keep calling her by her nickname. :/

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

chitoryu12 posted:

"I couldn't even do one push-up when I was in shape!"

Then you weren't in shape, sweetheart.

Round IS a shape!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

I've seen this story before and the update is even better. I wanted to bold the highlights but it's so crazy I would have to bold the whole thing.

That dude sounds like a total fucknut but tbh I'm baffled as to how she ended up about to marry him. Like people just really do think somehow marriage will magically fix all their problems it's amazing.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

In my opinion, he was right

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

quote:

He finally meanders his rear end home, and she immediately loses her poo poo at him. He keeps telling her to "stop being irrational" and "think logically," to which she basically responded with "what the gently caress are you talking about, there was nothing rational or logical about what you did." He starts talking about how weddings "aren't just about the bride" (which is like -- what?! No! D is not the type of person to think that her wedding is only going to be about her!), it's about bringing family and friends together, and he can't have "people like your friends" in front of all of his friends and family. What about his professional reputation (he's some highfalutin lawyer), what will his parents think when they see her friend "with all the piercings" (she has ONE nose piercing!) and me calling her some ridiculous "black name" during my wedding speech (Look, I never use this phrase, but this is the phrase I can think of: WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN. "Black" name?! "BLACK" NAME?!)

Christ, what a douche. I always knew people who don't like The Wire are terrible.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

*clears throat* sounds to me like..... D's nuts

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fullhouse posted:

*clears throat* sounds to me like..... D's nuts

well one of em anyway

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Do not pass this up it is pro read

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

why would two people who clearly do not even like each other want to get married so bad. like just call off the wedding dang

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Resentment over hygiene and cleanliness is killing my attraction to my (M33) wife (F31).

quote:

Let me start by saying that my wife is loyal, caring, and loving to both me and our 2 year old daughter. She is a good mom and our sex life is decent (1/wk limited more by me than her). To illustrate some of our differences, she is also a super-environmentalist and whereas I’m more middle-of the spectrum in this regard. There are several things I struggle with, and all of these are things we’ve talked about. However, the talking doesn’t seem to go anywhere and I could use others' input. Here are some of the issues:

• She refuses to flush the toilet after urinating. The idea is to save water, however this often results in a smelly “stew” that I encounter in the evening after multiple urinations have been sitting the whole day. On several occasions I have run into what appears to be a crime scene when she empties the contents of her Diva Cup (full of clotted period blood for those who don’t know) in the toilet after peeing, and then doesn’t flush. The general lack of flushing makes the toilet get dirty very fast, which she refuses to clean.

• She doesn’t shower often because it takes too long - maybe three times per week, works out 5 times a week, and sometimes doesn’t use deodorant. This combination frequently results in pungent B.O.. The lack of showering and sweating leads to pretty greasy hair. Combined the greasy hair with sometimes generally unkempt dress, the effect is sloppy and dirty.

• Leaves little “messes” around the house – finger nail clippings, cutting board with veggie scraps, used Kleenexes, etc. I find myself cleaning these frequently.

• Incredibly loud belching at home and in public (mostly social gatherings with friends and alcohol). She thinks it’s funny, but the humor has faded. Our friends laugh in an “I’m embarrassed for you” kind of way. Others ignore it because it is annoying. When I talked to her about this, she said she is “disappointed that she can’t be herself when around me”

• She wants to send our daughter to day care while either not working herself, or working a job that doesn’t cover the cost of day care. The first is clearly ridiculous and I think she understands this. The second doesn’t make financial sense, and she isn’t passionate about this job at all. She is not career focused, but doesn’t want to be a SAHM either.

Any suggestions on how to better communicate with her, or are there other steps I should be taking? I keep myself very clean (somewhat of a hygiene fanatic), and I pick up after myself pretty well.

this marraige... is ogre

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
That dude seems unhinged and I have no clue why they are together but she also sounds kind of exhaustingly quirky, maybe it's just the friend's writing style.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
HOLY poo poo. I thin D must stand for "dodged a ducking bullet."

If it had just been the friend with the nickname, I bet she would have married a controlling jerk and been miserable for a few years.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

UPDATE: The fiance [30sM] of my best friend [29F] wants me [29F] to stop calling her the nickname I gave her. I don't know how to diplomatically tell him no

Awn man, I was hoping op and D would finally admit their feelings for each other and use all the deposits and reservations to get extra fancy gay married, with the pierced maid of honor officiating.

Also spergy lawyer ex would get caught outside in the rain and then lose a shoe and get chased by a stray dog while robotically beep booping about irrationality.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

boner confessor posted:

yeah declawing isn't just trimming the nails, it's completely removing the nails. look at your fingers and think about what you would have to do to permanently remove your fingernals and never trim them again

my wife's cat is old as hell and he has arthritis and can't retract his nails anymore so whenever he lays down on a person they get clawed. sucks but also he's an elderly cat and he can't help it

Dude, SoftPaws. We have them on my dad's cat (who has some sort of problem where her claws are always out?) and it has saved everyone a lot of grief.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

op is the fiance D deserves imo

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Resentment over hygiene and cleanliness is killing my attraction to my (M33) wife (F31).

this marraige... is ogre

Yeah those two people really don't sound like they mesh well together. Somehow I don't think clean freaks and people who leave their urine and mentrual blood to stew all day are good together.
Sounds like he should just have a serious talk with her though, but this thread might not exist if people did that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if you need to explain to a 31-year-old why leaving little toenail troves everywhere is gross as hell you should evaluate which poor choices in life lead to your having to do that

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

my friend got a job at Northropp right outta college with a decent but not amazing GPA. 40 hours a week except every other Friday off. Full benefits. $75k+ when he started (it is more now that he has been there a couple years). Nothing super sexy, nothing super flashy, but he also isn't killing himself.

One person I know very closely has worked two different jobs, one as a programmer at a startup, and the other as a technical writer at an established engineering firm.

The pay is almost exactly the same, only at the former he worked 60-70 hour weeks (including sleeping under his desk at night), and at the latter he works 40 hours a week at a place with a good work/life balance. Somehow the established engineering firm has managed to thrive despite employing people who don't sleep under their desks. Maybe, and this is just a guess, people do better work when they don't have to sleep under their desks.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

therobit posted:

HOLY poo poo. I thin D must stand for "dodged a ducking bullet."

If it had just been the friend with the nickname, I bet she would have married a controlling jerk and been miserable for a few years.

Sounds like D had a big network, so the rest of her family and friends probably wouldn't have let her marry him anyway. I wonder what fiancee was doing through all this, reading his side of the story on Reddit would probably be funny.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Holy poo poo, basically the only way this shouldn't end in a complete sever is if the moron fiancé realizes what an rear end in a top hat he's been and does a complete 180 on literally everything he did in the last week (probably longer). But that of course will not happen and she needs to drop his rear end...maybe get with the OP, she seems pretty cool.

I will never understand people that will so brazenly go after their SO's friends/family like that. That guy literally poo poo on every single person she held dear all at once and somehow thought she'd be good with it?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Pick posted:

Dude, SoftPaws. We have them on my dad's cat (who has some sort of problem where her claws are always out?) and it has saved everyone a lot of grief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fP4emqw7O4

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

this marraige... is ogre

Dharma and Greg's honeymoon phase is over.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Ouhei posted:

I will never understand people that will so brazenly go after their SO's friends/family like that. That guy literally poo poo on every single person she held dear all at once and somehow thought she'd be good with it?

He thought he had a stronger hold on her than he did and he overplayed his hand. Simple as that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Diet incest: for when you want all the disgustingness without the depressingness

[24F] My BF [25M] of 3 years cheated on me with my mum [52F]

quote:

I'm sorry if this is jumbled, I'm on my phone and in total shock right now.

I'm an only child that was bought up by my mum alone (my dad left before I was born). I love (well, loved) my mum to bits, she's done so much for me and sacrificed everything so I could have a good education and a happy life. I met my boyfriend when we were in university. We're both each other's first everything - first kiss, first sexual experience, first relationship. I love (again; well, loved) him with all my heart. I truly believed we would be together forever. We moved in together two years ago and our relationship has been practically perfect since then. We never fight, and he makes me feel like a princess everytime I'm with him.

This morning he woke up and went to have a shower. He left his phone on the bedside table, and when it vibrated I simply picked it up to check what the notifcation was for (I wasn't snooping, it was just habit to check it out when the sound went off). I honestly did not believe what I was reading. It was a text from MY mum saying something along the lines of: "I hope your morning wood is as good as your afternoon wood ;)." Obviously I freaked out and went into his phone (I know his pin code). They had been basically sexting for around a fortnight. Pics, stories of what they'd "do to each other", and worst of all reflection on an afternoon they spent together. I honestly can't remember what the texts specifically said, once I read them I locked his phone and bolted downstairs into our other bathroom. I pretty much just sat in the shower and sobbed until he left for work. Once he did, I threw on some clothes, grabbed my phone, purse, etc, and drove to a quiet nearby park - which is where I am now bawling my eyes out.

I have no idea what to do. These were the two most important people in my life. I have pretty much no friends here. All of my extended family live overseas. I'm so heartbroken. Please help me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Naerasa posted:

He thought he had a stronger hold on her than he did and he overplayed his hand. Simple as that.

Yep, I've seen this happen in the wild multiple times. A person makes the "It's me or--" proposition (directly or indirectly) and the answer is the thing that wasn't the "me".

So often it's pets. "It's me or the cat!!" "ok. goodbye."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Diet incest: for when you want all the disgustingness without the depressingness

[24F] My BF [25M] of 3 years cheated on me with my mum [52F]

:murder:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
That's really depressing

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Naerasa posted:

and, crucially, wanted to alienate her from everyone else in her life so he could spend their married life making GBS threads on her with impunity

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I wasn't snooping I just wanted to see who was messaging him and the gist of what the message said. Like lol at the problem and your awful parent but just be honest with yourself. You even found something so it doesn't even look bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
lol who cares dude