Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Khablam posted:

Jolylolypop man is a robot or something so he doesn't count.

he also won't be around for long so best not to get too attached

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh ho but he will, just not as a driver. Unless Liberty chases out the old guard on Sky with a big stick he'll be the new Boring McDull for a few years before going off to work for daddy. Your grandchildren will be wondering why you are yelling at the TV about petulant frauds whenever "British GP Track owner and former F1 driver Jollyon Palmer" is trotted out for anecdotes about the good old days.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren relaunched their supporters club as "McLaren+", which is not interesting at all, except that the site is like 80% orange: http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/mclaren+/

(also Zak Brown said they don't expect to win until 2018, welp that's all folks)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Remember when they first announced they hired Zak Brown and I said I didn't think he was really going to make good decisions?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Remember when they first announced they hired Zak Brown and I said I didn't think he was really going to make good decisions?

Is your point that he's exclusively made good decisions?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sniff petrol has been back for a while. I think he's summed up the situation quite well. http://sniffpetrol.com/2017/02/08/mclaren-being-de-ronned/#.WJ3LepHfWhA

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Sniff petrol has been back for a while. I think he's summed up the situation quite well. http://sniffpetrol.com/2017/02/08/mclaren-being-de-ronned/#.WJ3LepHfWhA

This asymettrical picture must drive him mad

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

McLaren relaunched their supporters club as "McLaren+", which is not interesting at all, except that the site is like 80% orange: http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/mclaren+/

(also Zak Brown said they don't expect to win until 2018, welp that's all folks)

loving McLaren. They've become an F1 marketing company that half rear end the actual racing as a side business. Liberty should just appoint them to deal with all the social media stuff FOM have neglected forever and stop them wasting money on being a laughing stock, telling anybody who'll listen about their WCC and WDCs like that crazy old guy with war medals pinned on his scruffy jacket on the night train who reeks of stale piss and low grade cider.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

loving McLaren. They've become an F1 marketing company that half rear end the actual racing as a side business. Liberty should just appoint them to deal with all the social media stuff FOM have neglected forever and stop them wasting money on being a laughing stock, telling anybody who'll listen about their WCC and WDCs like that crazy old guy with war medals pinned on his scruffy jacket on the night train who reeks of stale piss and low grade cider.

what even

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I didn't come here to not shitpost, buddy

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Theophany posted:

I didn't come here to not shitpost, buddy

And yet you do; one wonders at your methods

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
That's why they call me 'the postman'

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You don't have those guys in America? I like the part where the bus will be empty and they will sit right next to you. Did you know "the world is controlled by 7 families including the bin laden's..." *sips special brew though a straw

E: It's called "care in the community" which brings us full circle right back to Ron.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Theophany posted:

That's why they call me 'the postman'

*Looks at username, then eyes wander to avatar text. Understanding fills me and a brief smile flickers across my lips as I walk on*

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

You don't have those guys in America? I like the part where the bus will be empty and they will sit right next to you. Did you know "the world is controlled by 7 families including the bin laden's..." *sips special brew though a straw

E: It's called "care in the community" which brings us full circle right back to Ron.

^^ less ranty and more coherent. Maybe I'm the old man on the train with the smelly bits.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If Ron was in charge of McLaren right now we'd be getting an excellent lecture of the synergy of a red and grey paint scheme and how they were definitely going to win the WDC with a title sponsor this year. Under Zak Brown we've just gotten orange.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

McLrn+

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Honestly they should re-brand as McClaren to finish Ron off. (Along with half of the Worst Thread).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

He's being realistic.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I don't understand a word of what this Zak Brown guy is saying, I keep having to run it through a Ronspeak translator.

"At McLaren we take a longer term view in assessing the achievability of our goals when it comes to motor racing and being pragmatic allows us to be quietly confident that our ability to achieve those goals to a satisfactory standard will be strongest in 2018."

Makes perfect sense now. Guy needs to speak English more.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > F1 Offseason 16/17 Thread: We should McLrn from our mistakes

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I think Ferrari should re-brand as Frrr

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
All I want from McLaren is orange. Just give me the orange.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

George Zimmer posted:

All I want from McLaren is orange. Just give me the orange.

All I want from McLaren to be half decent at least.
Anyway, I'm going to spa this year. Feel bad giving money to something so morally and financially corrupt as F1. But somebody has to cheer for stoffel in between the thousands of orange colored 'froggers' who are bound to show up.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Don't worry, you are giving money to a track desperate to claw back any money they can after being bent over the table by Bernie already.

Dislike young max all you like, but the money from his army of fans over the last couple of years may have saved Spa.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I can't get over McLrn+

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Khablam posted:

Hamilton hasn't had a residence in the UK for 10 years, so he's European (Switzerland, then/now Monaco).

Lewis had to leave in order to escape the monsoon of ridiculous taxes that the Brussels eurocrats forced on poor Britain, which has caused him great distress

American hack takes over after stabbing British visionary leader in the back and ruins everything immediately seems to be 2017s hot trend

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ron dennis is bad, not ron dennis is also bad

brilliant insight as always, folks

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I warned you shitlords that Zak Brown was a twat and here we are with our McLrn÷ and a loving orange car.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

confused but not surprised by the hilariously forced criticisms of mclaren+, a simple name change of a thing that has existed for a decade

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"mclaren is too boring"

[orange car]

"mclaren isn't boring enough"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"i hate ronspeak"

[zak brown is open and honest about 2017 expectations]

"zak brown is a twat"

poty
Jun 21, 2008

I would think that a Ron Dennis hater like wicka would be happy that he got ousted, but that's not enough. Everyone has to be happy that the best team in F1 is run by a marketing exec who thinks calling a thing mclrn+ is good marketing

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

"i hate ronspeak"

[zak brown is open and honest about 2017 expectations]

"zak brown is a twat"

The issue with Ron is he was he was too obsessed with details that don't loving matter and the organisational structure he imposed made it impossible to get anything done. Zak Brown is obsessed with details that don't loving matter and the organisational structure Ron imposed made it impossible to get anything done.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The problem with Ron was he couldn't get a modern car capable of winning.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

enri posted:

I think Ferrari should re-brand as Frrr

Ferrari are perfect in every way and gently caress you if you disagree. :colbert:

Oh god, I can't take it anymore. My lifelong love affair with the Scud (last load of F1 cars are better as Scud missiles than F1 cars) is killing me. I WANT LUCA BACK. :eng99:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

poty posted:

I would think that a Ron Dennis hater like wicka would be happy that he got ousted, but that's not enough. Everyone has to be happy that the best team in F1 is run by a marketing exec who thinks calling a thing mclrn+ is good marketing

Criticism and constructive criticism are two wildly different things.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Theophany posted:

I WANT LUCA BACK. :eng99:

Have we finally found the Luca Badoer fan?

E: :lol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luca_Badoer#Complete_Formula_One_results :lol:

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 10, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

wicka posted:

Criticism and constructive criticism are two wildly different things.

How's this for constructive criticism: bring Ron Dennis back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I can only hope you're trying to be funny. Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, plebeian. The closest we've had to Gianni Agnelli in what seems like a century.

e: my beloved Ferrari is the only thing I refuse to joke about because it means everything to a wop F1 fan like me.

• Locked thread