Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My [27m] girlfriend [26f] is an Extreme Couponer and it's driving me up the wall. Help!

ill loving marry Jodie right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I don't know what to do and when I see the show Extreme Couponers on TLC and see the long-suffering husbands on there with the thousand-yard stare, I'm always afraid that would be me one day and eventually I will be found dead in our apartment crushed under a mountain of cat food.

Haha I like this guy

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

in my opinion, sleeping in a fortress made up of lucky charm boxes, is not good

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nawcom posted:

terrible comparison. They don't remove the nails. They remove the bone all the way to the first joint which causes nerve damage and increases chances of other complications. here have a visual

hmm I took it that way at first too but looking at the post again

quote:

look at your fingers and think about what you would have to do to permanently remove your fingernals and never trim them again

Doesn't necessarily seem like they are disputing that as in order to permanently remove them yeah you'd prolly end up taking the finger off at the joint there.

'Cuz I've had my fingernail fall off before and it regrew just fine (finger was caught in a door as someone slammed it when I was like 10/11).

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
That's definitely moving into hoarder territory. He needs to tell her that uncluttered living space is sometimes worth not having 24x every single item in the house.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Psycho Society posted:

That's definitely moving into hoarder territory. He needs to tell her that uncluttered living space is sometimes worth not having 24x every single item in the house.

take all that free/heavily discounted poo poo and sell it or give it to food banks

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Streak posted:

take all that free/heavily discounted poo poo and sell it or give it to food banks
I do not think anyone is making a profit buying 500 boxes of tampons with coupons and flipping them on craigslist, and if you are trying to you should likely see a therapist

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tolkien minority posted:

I do not think anyone is making a profit buying 500 boxes of tampons with coupons and flipping them on craigslist, and if you are trying to you should likely see a therapist

im willing to bet 1000 boxes of lucky charms that people do this - especially if they get free poo poo. its hard to tell but did the guy say she got him 42 free cans of shaving cream?

it has been a while since my last appointment though...

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Tolkien minority posted:

lol when I worked at Walgreens we had a sign in the breakroom with some lovely clipart of a guy on the computer surrounded by boxes that said "Your employee discount is for personal use only; NOT to start an online store!" Yep I'm going to make a huge profit buying this poo poo at 10% off.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Take all the marshmallows from the lucky charms and fill up several boxes with just those. Live like kings

Throw all the other poo poo out the window, it doesn't matter now. Nothing matters now

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Tolkien minority posted:

if you had a kid and did this with candy you could make a decent amount of money having them flip it at school

I knew a couple of kids (and a teacher!) that did this and I think it worked out pretty well

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

My [27m] girlfriend [26f] is an Extreme Couponer and it's driving me up the wall. Help!

a few years down the road this guy is going to be in another relationship with another girl and he's going to be lamenting how much money they spend on household items and toiletries, and why doesn't she clip coupons like my last girlfriend?

Tolkien minority posted:

hahahahahah you have no loving idea how much money there is to be made in retail resale

extreme couponers have paid cash for houses with the money they bought reselling toilet paper and toothbrushes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The trick is to mentally factor in a "storage fee". For example, would you allow someone to store a box of Lucky Charms at your house for a year for 25 cents? If the answer to that is no, then you don't need to buy Lucky Charms for 25 cents off if you don't think you can get to them in a year. There will be other sales.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mirthless posted:

a few years down the road this guy is going to be in another relationship with another girl and he's going to be lamenting how much money they spend on household items and toiletries, and why doesn't she clip coupons like my last girlfriend?

that's why i said ill marry Jodie right loving now. finding frugally minded people can be hard enough, let alone someone who goes through all the effort of couponing.

yeah the house piled with extra merchandise is kind of excessive but yeah sell/donate it and you're still coming out ahead

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
may i direct you to my aliexpress thread

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Sounds like she's getting a lot of enjoyment out of trying save money any way she can but personally I'd much rather live a little wastefully than basing my whole life on thrift like that woman. Lol, buying lucky charms in bulk and keeping them in your bedroom. She buys useless things just because they're free or extremely cheap. I agree with everyone, she is not well.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Streak posted:

that's why i said ill marry Jodie right loving now. finding frugally minded people can be hard enough, let alone someone who goes through all the effort of couponing.

yeah the house piled with extra merchandise is kind of excessive but yeah sell/donate it and you're still coming out ahead

how in the gently caress does buying a bunch of thigns with coupons, creating a hoarder house, then donating it all for a complete loss or setting up a ghetto storefront on craigslist to make a 25 cent profit per a thing of papertowels equal come out ahead in your mind

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Fullhouse posted:

if you had a kid and did this with candy you could make a decent amount of money having them flip it at school

I knew a couple of kids (and a teacher!) that did this and I think it worked out pretty well

I had a professor who did this with scantrons and pencils. Forgot to bring a scantron that costs fifty cents in the bookstore? Two dollars, please.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tolkien minority posted:

how in the gently caress does buying a bunch of thigns with coupons, creating a hoarder house, then donating it all for a complete loss or setting up a ghetto storefront on craigslist to make a 25 cent profit per a thing of papertowels equal come out ahead in your mind

you still keep the stuff you need, and you are a Good Person who helped out the less fortunate when you had an opportunity to do so :confused:

oh wait yeah if you see no value in helping others then disregard

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tolkien minority posted:

The donate case is especially confusing.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Streak posted:

Seriously these people will leave a walgreens with $400 of merchandise and pay $12.50 for it

It's just like any other job, and if you're good at it, it's just like any other good job. There's people who make high five figures each year off of flipping. I've never gotten really serious about it but I paid the bills for three months a couple of years ago flipping stuff I bought at thrift stores and in clearance sections at retail outlets, I never even dipped my toe into the extreme couponing poo poo but the most reliable sellers I ever had were pharmacy goods and consumables like lightbulbs.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 10, 2017

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I would sell the things and also marry her bc if that's the worst thing, gently caress it.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tolkien minority posted:

because you can sell the lucky charms on amazon through FBA

the people who do this know how to make money doing it.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Me [25M] with my girlfriend [27F] and she saves too much money all the time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mirthless posted:

I paid the bills for three months a couple of years ago flipping stuff I bought at thrift stores

You are like the guy from Catch Me If You Can, or maybe Forrest Gump. I'm genuinely impressed by how many stories here tie back to your experience.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm frugal on a regular basis, but you have to learn to separate out the couponing from the living, and that's the problem he's facing. She's not doing it just as a "job", she's a lifestyler. And it's incredible frustrating.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Grevling posted:

Sounds like she's getting a lot of enjoyment out of trying save money any way she can but personally I'd much rather live a little wastefully than basing my whole life on thrift like that woman. Lol, buying lucky charms in bulk and keeping them in your bedroom. She buys useless things just because they're free or extremely cheap. I agree with everyone, she is not well.

My brother in law lives like this and my poor sister's house is awash in his useless garbage that he got because "it was a good deal."

There are parts of the house that we can't let their two children go into because there's a real danger of them getting brained by falling cardboard boxes.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Streak posted:

Me [25M] with my girlfriend [27F] and she saves too much money all the time

I hope you fall asleep under a mountain of cereal boxes and they fall on your in your sleep making you mildly annoyed and you wake up the next morning feeling really unrefreshed

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mirthless posted:

Seriously these people will leave a walgreens with $400 of merchandise and pay $12.50 for it

It's just like any other job, and if you're good at it, it's just like any other good job. There's people who make high five figures each year off of flipping. I've never gotten really serious about it but I paid the bills for three months a couple of years ago flipping stuff I bought at thrift stores and in clearance sections at retail outlets, I never even dipped my toe into the extreme couponing poo poo but the most reliable sellers I ever had where pharmacy goods and consumables like lightbulbs.

Surely that kind of discount is once in a great while because I don't see how Walgreens is selling stuff at like a 98% discount regularly while also still existing as a business.

Flipping stuff is a good money though. I def flip a lot of LEGO I find 'cuz people dunno what it is worth. Finding good stuff at thrift stores and selling on eBay is always good for some side cash.

It can be taken too far though, just like anything.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The retailers understand that only .000001% of people are like this. There's a lot of coupon stacking and trickery.

It's basically people who are super good at math but don't realize that you can be employed doing math AND not have a house full of barbasol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was going to snark, but then I remembered my Steam library. Hundreds of games untouched, bought solely because they were on sale.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
On a side note my new health insurance just gave me some discount card for 20% off at CVS which stacks with whatever loyalty card discount they have going on so dang maybe I should pick some stuff up at a deep discount and resell o.0

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I don't have anything against frugality at all, but if you obsess about it ut will make you a penny pinching husk. Filling your house with boxes of useless domestic goods is crazy, seek help. And I think there must be something wrong with consumer culture in US if l buying stuff in retail stores and reselling it can make you serious money.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grevling posted:

And I think there must be something wrong with consumer culture in US

Well yeah lol but that's a given.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Moridin920 posted:

Surely that kind of discount is once in a great while because I don't see how Walgreens is selling stuff at like a 98% discount regularly while also still existing as a business
Apparently you've never heard of manufacturers coupons, noobie.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ugh people like this, here's a good way to fight it:

Figure out the amount of money saved with the coupons, and compare that to the amount of time used, is it less than what you get paid at work? It's probably not worth it to put as much time into it, cut the time back and only coupon a little bit.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
You can probably just get poo poo at Costco for a better price than 35% off at CVS.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Surely that kind of discount is once in a great while because I don't see how Walgreens is selling stuff at like a 98% discount regularly while also still existing as a business.

Flipping stuff is a good money though. I def flip a lot of LEGO I find 'cuz people dunno what it is worth. Finding good stuff at thrift stores and selling on eBay is always good for some side cash.

It can be taken too far though, just like anything.

The main reason they can accomplish these incredible feats is by stacking discounts and promotions. For example, Walgreens has a point-based rewards program, and they'll have promotions where they double point totals, or give out point bonuses when you buy x#s of items. The points are calculated based on the retail cost before tax and coupons. So what you do is you use coupons and store discounts to maximize point gains and minimize overall expenses, and then the point balance can then be used on a future transaction to reduce the cost of that transaction. (So, obviously, you split your purchase in half - all your point-generating items go in the first transaction, and all your deep discount/no point items go in the second) if you stack enough discounts and rack up enough points it's pretty easy to pull off, just time consuming.

Walgreens has cracked down on it a lot (we're no longer in the days where you could go into walgreens and take every stick of deodorant off the shelf and have them hand you $40 for the privilege of taking their stuff) as have many other places but it's still pretty easy (just time consuming) to get an insane discount and the most serious couponers are still raking in hundreds of dollars of merch every week

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Moridin920 posted:

Well yeah lol but that's a given.

I'm not from the US and I've never been there so I kind of have to parse things together from pop culture and the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Okay but if I was a manager and some dude came in on the regular with coups and walked out with $400 worth of stuff at a 98% discount I'd probably just ban that person because there's no way you're making money on their business and in fact you're probably losing it every time they come in.

I mean idk maybe I'm totally wrong I'm not a couponer.

What is easier though is just manufacture spending on credit cards with rewards and/or cashback stuff.