Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deified Data posted:

I hope this game never gets PVP so we can forgo the whole "Cancer Builds!1!!" hysteria that comes with games like this all together.

At the very least I don't think Nioh will ever have invasions souls style. It sounds like its going to be a new optional mode released later on. So you won't absolutely have to go cancer build if you don't want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Lot of people walk right up to the ltightening dog boss and just attack til they die.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Harrow posted:

They say it's getting PvP and to be honest I'm curious what it's going to look like.

It can't use level-based matchmaking, I don't think. Even the best armor has relatively low stat requirements and weapons have no stat requirements. And because you can use a Book of Reincarnation to level down if you want, there'd be nothing stopping someone from leveling to 200, farming the poo poo out of NG+ for insane gear, then leveling down to match with level 60 people and destroying them. But some sort of duel arena that normalizes levels and equipment might also not quite work, because even when a level 50 character and a level 200 player have similar numbers, the level 200 player will have had plenty of points to get a ton of onmyo magic and ninjutsu that the level 50 player might not have. And if they just straight-up don't let you use your own character (like treating PvP like the dojo missions, with set gear and items available) I think people would be really disappointed.

So who knows?
Fingers crossed it's a seperate arena mode dumped in on the main map online menu for the above reasons so folks can go buck wild without futzing up the campaign.

Unfortunately with their comments on co-op, and that there's already NPC invasions, I'm not too confident. I'm wrong as hell. VVV

limited fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 10, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Any soft caps?

For things like Life, Ki, equip load, and onmyo magic/ninjutsu power and capacity, here's a good list: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/5t4wqk/stat_softcaps/

As for weapon damage, I can tell you I tested Heart up to 50 for katana damage last time I respecced. While there are a few stretches where you get 1 point of damage for a point of Heart, it always ends up going back up. Like going from 48 to 49 was 1 more damage, while 49 to 50 got me 4 more damage. Someone in the comments on that Reddit thread says that they started to really hit diminishing returns around 60 or so. Whenever I'm high enough level I plan to use a Book of Reincarnation just to take every stat from 5 to 99 in the level-up screen and see if I can find any real soft or hard caps along the way that aren't just fluctuations.

limited posted:

Fingers crossed it's a seperate arena mode dumped in on the main map online menu for the above reasons so folks can go buck wild without futzing up the campaign.

Unfortunately with their comments on co-op, and that there's already NPC invasions, I'm not too confident.

"NPC invasions" aren't so much invasions as a specific enemy type that summons nearby revenants. I sorta doubt they'll have Souls-style invasions in this, especially as something added post-launch.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Harrow posted:

"NPC invasions" aren't so much invasions as a specific enemy type that summons nearby revenants. I sorta doubt they'll have Souls-style invasions in this, especially as something added post-launch.
:aaaaa: I stand corrected. I just thought they summoned those irritating fire-skull things, and the revenants were just a pure RNG to make going through the missions that bit harder!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

limited posted:

:aaaaa: I stand corrected. I just thought they summoned those irritating fire-skull things, and the revenants were just a pure RNG to make going through the missions that bit harder!

Nope, it's the lute guys! If you kill them, the revenants stop coming. I'm not sure if killing them kills any revenants they've summoned too or not, I haven't tested that.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Axes are pretty fun, def gonna do a run with one, ki pulses are SUPER important but holy crap do they destroy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I wish I could exclude a coop level. Tired of people not lighting the drat bonfires.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I think revenants sort of collect data on the person that died because I think they use the same fighting style that the person who died used...running into three revenants with the exact same set and I saw two different fighting styles with the same weapon.

I'm hoping it's based on how the guy that died preferred to fight.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

I wish I could exclude a coop level. Tired of people not lighting the drat bonfires.

I lit all three fires on the water level just because I felt like I should, not sure if they do anything though. Are they responsible for the bigger fires at the end?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

I lit all three fires on the water level just because I felt like I should, not sure if they do anything though. Are they responsible for the bigger fires at the end?

Yeah. The 2 little enemies aren't in the boss fight anymore. Which just stun you enough that you die even with my help.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So at some point does the blacksmith gain access to forge other weapons that have innate elemental/magic/spirit scaling on them like you can with Raikiri? I really want an elemental spear for my body/skill/magic/spirit guy

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How's the book of reincarnation work? It's description makes it seem like it's not exactly a souls-style "takes your level from X to 1 and gives you X-1 points to redistribute, bringing your level back to X"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

How's the book of reincarnation work? It's description makes it seem like it's not exactly a souls-style "takes your level from X to 1 and gives you X-1 points to redistribute, bringing your level back to X"

You don't have to use all of them. You can effectively delevel yourself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Annath posted:

It drops you to level 1 and gives you back all of your skill points and spent amrita. So you're right, it doesn't just give you points back, just directly gives you your amrita back.

That also means you can use it to level down if you really want to for some reason.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

DeathSandwich posted:

So at some point does the blacksmith gain access to forge other weapons that have innate elemental/magic/spirit scaling on them like you can with Raikiri? I really want an elemental spear for my body/skill/magic/spirit guy

Eventually, yeah. But much sooner than that, you can honor duel a guy to get a really good fire spear.

ve: No, it's a different guy later.

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 10, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SkeletonHero posted:

Eventually, yeah. But much sooner than that, you can honor duel a guy to get a really good fire spear.

Is that what's his face that you rescued from the Tomb in the first act? I beat his duel and all I got was the blacksmith plans for the raikiri.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Is that what's his face that you rescued from the Tomb in the first act? I beat his duel and all I got was the blacksmith plans for the raikiri.

No, there are more honorable duels than that. The spear guy's a bit later. There are a couple of spear guys you can duel for their stuff, actually.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Thumbtacks posted:

I think revenants sort of collect data on the person that died because I think they use the same fighting style that the person who died used...running into three revenants with the exact same set and I saw two different fighting styles with the same weapon.

I'm hoping it's based on how the guy that died preferred to fight.
They're already smarter than Dark Soul invaders. They'll whip out a ranged weapon if you try to abuse the terrain. They don't climb ladders, but they'll shoot at you instead.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Man the sense everything talisman feels like cheating. I guess I could just not use it, I just want to find all my Kodama buddies. Don't think I've found anything at all with sense Kodama on it :smith:.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It looks like I'm going to need to dump some points into Dex and Magic so I can unlock the additional dojo training sessions. I don't really rely on either; do the Adept and Veteran trainings require me to have gotten to a certain region first? That would help me pace out these less-useful levels.

Also, does anyone else try and kill the red Revenants in a way that matches the description of how they died? I think some of them are kind of funny, like the Ladder Acrobat guy who always seems to have died from falling. His sword is usually by a cliff too, so I try and kick him off the edge to fulfill his destiny. Same with people who died from poison or fire. The Ladder Acrobat seems to have unique armor too, which is incentive enough for me to summon every red Revenant I run across.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think all the sense x affixes are on helmets and charms

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Harrow posted:

Nope, it's the lute guys! If you kill them, the revenants stop coming. I'm not sure if killing them kills any revenants they've summoned too or not, I haven't tested that.

No, killing the musician won't kill the revenants.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

I think all the sense x affixes are on helmets and charms

Yeah, I have a helmet with Sense Enemies and a charm with Kodama Sense.

LawfulWaffle posted:

No, killing the musician won't kill the revenants.

Good to know. There's that one sub-mission in the Hino-Enma cave that ends with a fight against a bunch of yokai with one of the musicians hiding in a locked room, and I must have killed him just before he finished summoning a revenant, then.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

Good to know. There's that one sub-mission in the Hino-Enma cave that ends with a fight against a bunch of yokai with one of the musicians hiding in a locked room, and I must have killed him just before he finished summoning a revenant, then.

I think that's different. When you kill the last enemy or boss of a mission, all the other enemies die or despawn. You can run around opening chests but you can't summon any more revenants. So in that case, I think what you killed was a proverbial load-bearing musician that triggered the end state and killed every remaining enemy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I found an incredibly cheap way to beat revenants and samurai duels. That fire landmine ninjutsu will knock them on their back and let you follow up with a finisher every time. Just beat the second samurai duel in one try, although he did seem easier than Muneshige.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
Is there a certain stage of the game that I should wait before I start dicking around with reforging and crafting stuff? Just got to the second region.

teknetik fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 10, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

teknetik posted:

Is there a certain stage of the game that I should wait before I start diking around with reforging and crafting stuff? Just got to the second region.

I've just been dissembling everything I'm not using and periodically forging new, higher level versions of my gear. The only level of materials that seem at all rare are the purples, so just use all blue mats and you won't be wasting anything. That said, you'd probably be fine just using loot you find.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

It drops you to level 1 and gives you back all of your skill points and spent amrita. So you're right, it doesn't just give you points back, just directly gives you your amrita back.

That also means you can use it to level down if you really want to for some reason.

If PvP does become a thing. And there is a meta level for pvping. That would be a good feature.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think you're better off only soul matching stuff until the upper 40s where the price skyrockets to the 100,000s

All materials can be rolled into the next highest tier so I wouldn't waste shittier ones on shittier equipment

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just meatgrindered almost my entire inventory. I went to my storage chest and locked stuff I wanted to keep and put stuff I wanted to keep for hypthothetical build changes (heavy armor that's good but I'm not using it), and then just disassembled everything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think that's different. When you kill the last enemy or boss of a mission, all the other enemies die or despawn. You can run around opening chests but you can't summon any more revenants. So in that case, I think what you killed was a proverbial load-bearing musician that triggered the end state and killed every remaining enemy.

There was still a skeleton warrior for me to fight, actually. I think I might have just gotten him right before he finished the summoning.

Snak posted:

I just meatgrindered almost my entire inventory. I went to my storage chest and locked stuff I wanted to keep and put stuff I wanted to keep for hypthothetical build changes (heavy armor that's good but I'm not using it), and then just disassembled everything.

That is the correct thing to do. If you need money, you can also sell any crafting materials you don't plan to use (they sell for more than just selling the assembled item, funnily enough). But money isn't used for much other than respeccing and Soul Matching so unless you plan to keep the same weapon forever instead of just crafting a new one or something, money's not a huge deal.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

Human enemies all seem to do the ors pose and become uninteractable when you beat a mission. There was one mission in the third area that I beat after exploring like 5% of the level so it was pretty funny running around the rest of it seeing all these faceplanted dudes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everyone keeps talking about the ki pulse dodge ability but I can't find it on the skill tree for the life of me. Where is it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

veni veni veni posted:

Everyone keeps talking about the ki pulse dodge ability but I can't find it on the skill tree for the life of me. Where is it?

There's three separate ki pulse dodge abilities for each weapon, one for each stance. They're one row underneath the base skill for each stance.

edit: They're called "High/Mid/Low Stance: Living Water" I think?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh. Excellent. I think I saw that and didn't realize what it was.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Snak posted:

No good luck finding anything worth crafting thats not a katana

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I keep finding the boss of a level and letting it kill me because I haven't explored the whole level.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Finally got the game today, Derrick was a real funny first boss.

"Man Derrick, you're just awful." - After leisurely hopping out of his way with medium dodges and chopping him to death in full knight armor

*Comes back as a huge fuckoff oni*

"Goddammit Derrick." - After once again just swooping to his sides and slicing him up good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

It looks like I'm going to need to dump some points into Dex and Magic so I can unlock the additional dojo training sessions. I don't really rely on either; do the Adept and Veteran trainings require me to have gotten to a certain region first? That would help me pace out these less-useful levels.

Yea it's region locked. The last training ones are in the 4th region and need 15 in ninjutsu / magic.

I wonder if you can unlock the skills by beating the missions, then respec out of the stats and it will keep the skills unlocked for you to learn later.