Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

unfortunately the update for that one deals exclusively with the logistics of avoiding the boyfriend, and barely makes any mention of the loving mom

There are 3 updates and while you don't really get closure on the mom, it's understandable because it turns out her BF committed suicide immediately after she confronted him. :stare:
She then ghosted her mom and moved to another state to start a new life. Honestly I don't blame her one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MF_James posted:

ugh people like this, here's a good way to fight it:

Figure out the amount of money saved with the coupons, and compare that to the amount of time used, is it less than what you get paid at work? It's probably not worth it to put as much time into it, cut the time back and only coupon a little bit.

That reasoning only plays out if you can get as many additional-pay hours as you want at work *and* you enjoy work as much as you like bargain hunting. They may not be substitutable for people.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Surely that kind of discount is once in a great while because I don't see how Walgreens is selling stuff at like a 98% discount regularly while also still existing as a business.

Flipping stuff is a good money though. I def flip a lot of LEGO I find 'cuz people dunno what it is worth. Finding good stuff at thrift stores and selling on eBay is always good for some side cash.

It can be taken too far though, just like anything.

The thing with Walgreens, at least when I worked there, was that they gave out an absurd amount of store coupons with few limitations and would practically accept a post-it note with "all stuff is free" as long as it had a barcode on it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moridin920 posted:

Okay but if I was a manager and some dude came in on the regular with coups and walked out with $400 worth of stuff at a 98% discount I'd probably just ban that person because there's no way you're making money on their business and in fact you're probably losing it every time they come in.

The manager at Walgreens is unlikely to be sharing profits, and the manufacturer compensates the store for the coupon value anyway.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

The thing with Walgreens, at least when I worked there, was that they gave out an absurd amount of store coupons with few limitations and would practically accept a post-it note with "all stuff is free" as long as it had a barcode on it.

Huh well you learn some poo poo every day.

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

There are 3 updates and while you don't really get closure on the mom, it's understandable because it turns out her BF committed suicide immediately after she confronted him. :stare:
She then ghosted her mom and moved to another state to start a new life. Honestly I don't blame her one bit.

Welp.

Subjunctive posted:

The manager at Walgreens is unlikely to be sharing profits, and the manufacturer compensates the store for the coupon value anyway.

Oh I didn't realize they compensate the store for the coup value.

Manager might not be sharing profits but you better believe their numbers are looked at - if your store and your shifts specifically are lagging on the profit margins a well managed company is going to take a closer look at why that is.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

drat

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Maybe she just :murder:'ed him and made it look like a suicide

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Psycho Society posted:

Maybe she just :murder:'ed him and made it look like a suicide

man I hope so :allears:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MF_James posted:

ugh people like this, here's a good way to fight it:

Figure out the amount of money saved with the coupons, and compare that to the amount of time used, is it less than what you get paid at work? It's probably not worth it to put as much time into it, cut the time back and only coupon a little bit.

also a pretty good way to get 'i'll totally fix/use this some day' hoarder tendencies under control but it requires first admitting you have a problem

a flavor for everyone, even those of you dreading life in Lucky the Leprechaun's Shamrock Fort of Thrift:
She [F/23] lost the ring 1 day after I [27/M] proposed...

quote:

We've been together for 6 years, and I've been planning on proposing for the last 2, but was waiting for us both to mature a little more as I've always felt we needed to close the maturity gap a little more before tying the knot.

So I finally pulled the trigger. I had a custom engagement ring made using a sizely heirloom diamond from my late grandmother, with gold and additional diamonds from close family members. I spent way more than I should have, at about 3 months worth of paychecks on top of the re-used materials to have this ridiculously overpriced finger rock mount created.

We flew out to San Francisco over the last weekend, hiked out to a mountaintop in Marin to watch the sun rise over the city, I proposed, and she said yes. It was a great weekend, and we flew back on Sunday.

Within 24 hours of being back home, she has completely lost the ring with no memory of where she left it. I just took the entire day off work to help her tear the house apart looking for it (thinking we'd find it quickly) and it is nowhere to be found.
She feels like poo poo, and I am doing my best to tell her it will be ok, and it might still turn up, and it's only a symbol/material-thing, but deep down I can't help but feel regret and resentment. Shouldn't I though? I am not looking forward to having to tell my mom about her dead mother's missing heirloom, and I am ignoring all of the congratulatory calls/messages I'm receiving because I am dreading the subject of the ring will come up.

I have never felt this sick before from the loss of a material item, but this thing represents a huge leap of trust and vulnerability for me, as well as a substantial amount of work and capital, and I'm just having trouble moving forward.
I suppose the relationship is what's important, but when you've just gone out on a limb and committed to spending your life with someone, resentment and regret are the last two emotions you want to be feeling, even if off-point.

Any advice or support would go a long way. FML

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Subjunctive posted:

That reasoning only plays out if you can get as many additional-pay hours as you want at work *and* you enjoy work as much as you like bargain hunting. They may not be substitutable for people.

I dunno, I feel it's a reasonable argument because you are essentially "working" when you are doing coupon stuff, if you're making $5 an hour with all this coupon shenanigans that's not loving worth it, your time outside of work should be WAY more valuable than that.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

also a pretty good way to get 'i'll totally fix/use this some day' hoarder tendencies under control in my experience but it requires first admitting you have a problem

a flavor for everyone, even those of you dreading life in Lucky the Leprechaun's Shamrock Fort of Thrift:

hahahahahahahahahaha she pawned his grandma's diamond

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, Walgreens has every reason to go through with the transaction.

Anyway, I know a fair number of people like this because I ~thrift~ (and it was popular among graduate students since we were all below pov). But the issue is, people will buy stuff they don't need or even want, and they will become uncomfortable paying fair retail price for anything that they need. So they will go without things that they actually do need to buy, like medicine. Or they will shoplift it. There's a lot of crossover there. So you think you're hanging out with Cool Mr. Money-Smart, and then he shows you that Target's counter wipes have a hole in the center and are relatively heavy so you can stash stuff inside there while in the store and it'll pass through checkout. And it's like, but... I don't need to steal aspirin, and he's like, what kind of fool are you, paying full price just to not be in pain

Anyway, Extreme Couponing is like any other card game, only at the end you're left with a lonely house full of stale Lucky Charms. so exactly like magic: the gathering I guess.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

MF_James posted:

I dunno, I feel it's a reasonable argument because you are essentially "working" when you are doing coupon stuff, if you're making $5 an hour with all this coupon shenanigans that's not loving worth it, your time outside of work should be WAY more valuable than that.

But they like it too. They get a rush from saving money.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
How do you not remember where you left it? Wouldn't it be on your finger unless you were in like one of two places?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Oh I didn't realize they compensate the store for the coup value.

Manager might not be sharing profits but you better believe their numbers are looked at - if your store and your shifts specifically are lagging on the profit margins a well managed company is going to take a closer look at why that is.

yeah, stores get compensated for the coupon value so most stores actually like having one or two extreme couponers around, the real issue is when they get swamped by them and their regular customers can't buy anything because all of the shampoo and deodorant is already gone

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

also a pretty good way to get 'i'll totally fix/use this some day' hoarder tendencies under control but it requires first admitting you have a problem

Everyone would be better off if the engagement ring tradition died out and also de Beers went out of business and into a flaming hell pit.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Psycho Society posted:

How do you not remember where you left it? Wouldn't it be on your finger unless you were in like one of two places?

gross but they should probably check anyway

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MF_James posted:

Many people have so much time outside work that they can barely afford to live.

Lots of people have to work two jobs to get by. By your own reasoning, why shouldn't couponing be considered one of them?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

How does that even happen.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

a shower of gold to wrap up your work week

Me [25F] with my boyfriend[25 M] together 3 years, living together 3 months, he won't stop peeing on me in the shower.

quote:

So I have been with my boyfriend "Mark" for three years and we moved in together in November and have been drifting towards discussions of marriage. We each had our own apartments (w/roommates) but I was pretty much living at his apartment full time so we decided to give living together a try and it seemed to be going well. Generally we are on the same page when it comes to finances/goals/etc.

I go to work around ~6:15am and he leaves ~7am but we usually get up around the same time shower/eat together and then he takes the dog out for a brief walk after I leave. So we shower together most mornings. Which is a nice way to wake up, talk about the upcoming day and sometimes leads to some morning fun.

But about a month ago, I was washing my hair when I turned around to face him and he was peeing on me. He is 6'3" and I'm only 5'1" so the pee was landing on my stomach and running down my body. I was shocked and grossed out and said something along the lines of "what are you doing?!" He looked shocked that I had noticed but was like "oh we're in the shower, itll just wash off you" Now I could really care less if he pees in the shower (heck I'll admit to peeing in the shower on occasion). I just don't want to be peed on, which I told him in no uncertain terms, that I don't care if I'm in the shower it still makes me feel gross and I feel like he is a dog or something marking me.

He kinda shrugged it off and I figured everything was fine, but then the next day I was turned to wash my hair again and I felt something. So I turned and again he was peeing on me. So I got kinda mad and asked if he remembered me not liking that and to please stop. He brushed it off again with "its no big deal hun, I know other guys who pee on their gfs in the shower you shouldn't be afraid of a little pee."

I told him that I don't care what other people do. I don't like being peed on and if he needs to pee he could wait for me to get out or he could get out and pee in the toilet that is right there.

I figured the discussion was done with, but I was wrong again. And a week(or so?) later I caught him peeing on me again. I got mad and immediately got out of the shower. We got into an argument with him asserting that I was being too uptight and trying to control where he pees. And with me saying that its deeming and disrespectful to pee on another person without their permission. I asked if he had some sort of pee fetish or something (possibly tying together the peeing on me with the fact that I end up blowing him in the shower sometimes), but he said that wasn't the case, that he doesn't have any desire to pee on me outside the shower and that he just likes peeing on things like all guys do and doesn't think it should be a big deal if he pees in the shower.

I told him that I don't care if it is no big deal to most people. And that it isn't peeing in the shower that bothers me, its the fact that he's being down my back. Him peeing on me bothers me and that should be enough of a reason for him to not do it. That I find in deeming and not funny and that it makes me not want to shower with him. He seemed to agree and I thought the problem was resolved.

Now after this incident I ended up being put on this project at work which resulted in me leaving around 5am so showering before he got up in the morning. The project ended about two weeks ago, so now I'm back to my regular schedule.
And the first couple mornings were great, we both had really missed our morning routine. I thought maybe he was peeing on me last Thursday but he swore that he wasn't and promised that he wasn't going to do that anymore. But then on Monday I caught him peeing on me again and it made me so mad and we fought. So on Tuesday when I was in the shower I told him that he couldn't get in with me unless he peed right then because I couldn't trust him to not pee on me once he got in. That made him mad, saying that its wrong to try and control where someone else pees. So he didn't and just waited for me to get out.

I feel like it is a game to him to try and pee on me without me noticing. He also said that guys just have a need to pee on things and that in college he would pee outside while walking back from the bars all the time.

So today we got ready in complete silence separately and I don't know what to do. Am I being unreasonable?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Reddit, always on the case, immediately identifies the heart of the problem as 'gaslighting'

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

chumbler posted:

Everyone would be better off if the engagement ring tradition died out and also de Beers went out of business and into a flaming hell pit.

Yes, and that guy is a sucker adding on more diamonds to pile on the expense. Maybe his girlfriend same one as the coupon story and she had a meltdown at his spending.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

just tell the girl you're into golden showders smdh

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
What do you do? What the gently caress? Your boyfriend excretes on you repeatedly, I think you know the answer girl

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

How on earth did he spend 3 months salary on a ring when he already had the main stone, some other stones and some gold? Also, this is why you put the ring on your insurance!

Edit:

Me [25F] with my boyfriend[25 M] together 3 years, living together 3 months, he won't stop peeing on me in the shower.
lol, I knew a couple that was totally cool with either of them peeing while they showered and we relentlessly made fun of them for it.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 10, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Grevling posted:

Yes, and that guy is a sucker adding on more diamonds to pile on the expense. Maybe his girlfriend same one as the coupon story and she had a meltdown at his spending.

he collected all the family's diamonds into a big unwieldy finger-hoard and then didn't bother insure it :doh:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

This one was posted a few hundred pages ago, maybe even toward the start of the thread, but it's always a good read.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Pissed off and pissed on? That's rough.. :smuggo:

really though she should poo poo on his foot in the shower

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"It's not a sex thing!"

it always is. every drat time.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I wonder how he would react if she straddled him in the shower and just pissed on him. Maybe eat a ton of asparagus first. On second thought, he might like it.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Pick posted:

"It's not a sex thing!"

it always is. every drat time.

In that case she's kinkshaming and is the true aggressor here.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I wonder how he would react if she straddled him in the shower and just pissed on him. Maybe eat a ton of asparagus first. On second thought, he might like it.
Who wouldnt?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Not with asparagus! Maybe some gatorade

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*spins around peeing on every surface* these are my things!!!!!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I highly doubt the validity of this post.

Me [23 M] with my girlfriend [21 F] 3-years, being courted by crown prince of Dubai

quote:

Back in September, my girlfriend got invited to go to Dubai for modeling work. Long story short, she basically found out she was an escort for the crown prince of Dubai. He has two women working for him whose job is to find young women and fly them to Dubai for him to meet. After originally being in a group of 27 girls, he saw her and one day told her that he likes her and that he wanted to be with her. He pays her and most of these other girls $1,000 USD every day to do mostly nothing, just sit in a hotel room and I know he has other girls there but in different hotels. Once in a while he will call her and ask her to spend time with him, maybe go see him ride horses, go to the gym with him, and sometimes go overnight on his yacht with him and his friends. She just got back from her 3rd trip there and I cannot begin to describe the amount of stress this has caused for me. She usually spends a month there per trip. I asked her if she could stop going but she said she would not say no if they asked. I love her a lot and just disappointed about the whole thing. I trust she has not cheated on me but she has told me that he hugs her and kisses her cheek and holds her hand. I know she only lets him do this because he pays her. She has told me she has no feelings for him whatsoever too. What should I do? Appreciate all the replies.
tl;dr: crown prince of Dubai wants my girlfriend, what would you do in this situation? Support her or leave?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nazzadan posted:

I highly doubt the validity of this post.

Me [23 M] with my girlfriend [21 F] 3-years, being courted by crown prince of Dubai

i want this job. for $1,000 a day i will even lick his willy, like, whenever.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
What a stupid story. If it were true, dude isn't paying a grand a day not not gently caress them.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Would you let him put a UAE baby in u

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol $1000/day isn't even in the ball park for a high class escort

either that story is just fake or something else is going or... something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Batterypowered7 posted:

He'd absolutely be into it, no question