Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Content

"https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5t5e8k/i_have_an_advanced_degree_in_an_extremely/ posted:

A few months ago I graduated with a Ph D in Creative Writing. The job market is ultra competitive and although I have an excellent academic record I can't find a teaching position. My publishing record is weak with 3 out of print books that didn't win any critical acclaim or awards. My student loan balance is $135,000 and I have another $42,000 in credit cards. I also have 2 car payments, rent, food, phone, etc. to pay. Right now I am working construction for $11.75/hour. I can't even pay my living expenses and had to take out a signature loan to catch up on my car payments so they wouldn't be repossessed. HELP!

Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

sparkmaster posted:

Content

Wow.

In a reply, the OP mentions that he lives in a one bedroom apartment by himself...so what's with the two car payments?

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

crazypeltast52 posted:

Also banks do weird things like have titles go from VP to Managing Director instead of Director to VP like good, normal companies do.

I will be so confused if I leave banking. Like I know we have title inflation but I thought it was normal for a director to be above a VP.

Also to contribute to the vacation derail, I'm not a VP and I have to take 2 weeks off in a row but I think people that have 3 weeks of vacation only have to take one week. I'm one of the few that likes the policy because I like long vacations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sparkmaster posted:

Content

Wow.

I'm the apparently multiple cars he owns.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

pig slut lisa posted:

In a reply, the OP mentions that he lives in a one bedroom apartment by himself...so what's with the two car payments?

clearly you don't ride

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

sparkmaster posted:

Content

Wow.

more like creative underwriting

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

WampaLord posted:

And who does that person's work? Does everyone in the company shift up for a week to cover?
One of those drinking bird toys with a rubber stamp tied to its beak.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

pig slut lisa posted:

Probably crashed the first one without enough (any?) insurance.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

sparkmaster posted:

Content

Wow.
My buddy's got a PhD in Creative Writing, uses that for bartending, but at least he didn't pay for his education. Jesus.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

potee posted:

Probably crashed the first one without enough (any?) insurance.
Or else he's a car person in the "likes to have nice cars and doesn't get that it's not an excuse for having more car than you can afford" sense.

Either that or the other car is for his 130lb(!) dog.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Devonaut posted:

:boom:

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Day Man posted:

Yup. In my chemistry program, there were only a couple of students that set out to get a Masters. The majority got a Masters after burning out while going for a PhD. Those of us with the PhD didn't get a masters.

Edit: to clarify, the students getting only the masters did not move on to also get a PhD. It was like an either/or thing.

Yeah, in the chemistry world, a Masters is basically a consolation prize for washing out of a Ph.D program. Occasionally they may have a specialized direct-admit Masters subprogram like if you wanted to get an MS in chemistry education.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Devonaut posted:

:captainpop:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

mastershakeman posted:

that dude is awesome

Good with life

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

pig slut lisa posted:

$10 says one was for an ex.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I can't blame someone for getting a PhD in something like creative writing if it's fully funded. Might as well enjoy the ride and earn a few bucks along the way.

But lol at going $177,000 into debt for it. ("charitable" reading is that the debt is from undergrad.)

Ironically the pay-to-play graduate degrees in humanities are the programs that least prepare their graduates for the reality of the job market. The funded programs have a reputation to maintain and want to make you marketable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I thought that the true gold standard of PhD programs is when the school directly hired tenure track professors out of their own PhD program? Is that still a good indicator, or outdated?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I thought that the true gold standard of PhD programs is when the school directly hired tenure track professors out of their own PhD program? Is that still a good indicator, or outdated?

People still hire tenure track professors and not just endless swarms of adjuncts on term contracts?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Twerk from Home posted:

Generally academics look down on incest. You'd need to go elsewhere for a successful postdoc before getting a chance at being hired at your PhD school.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

flynt posted:

I will be so confused if I leave banking. Like I know we have title inflation but I thought it was normal for a director to be above a VP.

I work for a major non-profit where it goes President -> C Level -> VP -> CEO -> CAO -> Director. There is also a split from the VP level to senior director which is usually equivalent to a CEO. Senior directors handle large organizational positions in a specific field/area. The CEO is a city / region position that runs all aspects of that area; outside of what the Senior Directors handle. It's a lot easier to fund raise with the local major companies or get air time with local news when you are a "CEO". So I would estimate that we have 100+ CEOs..... There's probably 10 in California.

To explain more, a Senior Director might be something like West Division (25 states) IT End User Services, while a CEO might run the Los Angeles region community fund raising, out reach, and programs. I think we are in the 40-50,000 employee range with close to a million volunteers.

It took me about 5 years to figure this all out.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 11, 2017

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I work financial services as well but europe not us anf Wow you guys have some hosed up title creep.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Maybe I'm stupid with Liberal Arts or something, but if you want to be a creative writer, don't you just kinda...sit down and write? What do you need to go all the way through a PhD program for? To teach? I have so many questions. Also, how do you get to a PhD level in creative writing? Do you have to defend a dissertation before a committee? How do you even do that? I mean, when my best friend got his Biomedical Physics PhD, he had to defend a dissertation on the studies he performed. Do you just throw down a manuscript for 'that novel you been workin on' and walk out? I'm so confused.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yes, that guy is explicitly trying to get a teaching position.

Writing is just like everything else, it takes skills and knowledge to do it well. Some people can self-teach themselves basically through reading and practicing, or working with peers, but there's nothing particularly weird about deciding to get an education in it - although generally not at a PhD level, most people get a BA in English of something like an MFA. It's not required, but it can be useful.

Also because publishing is possibly even more about networking than other fields, and at a good MFA program you will get the chance to build connections to people in the industry so that you have a better chance of getting your manuscript read than blind-mailing it to a dozen publishing houses hoping they feel like reading it. Again though, that doesn't require a PhD level, so :shrug:

As to what a decent PhD program does, here's University of Edinburgh's:

quote:

The PhD in Creative Writing is examined via a portfolio of writing which would normally include a substantial piece or pieces of creative work of circa 75,000 words of creative prose, 75 pages of verse, or three hours performance-time of dramatic composition (the equivalent of a full-length play), plus an extended critical essay of circa 25,000 words reflecting on the work’s aims and context(s). The balance between the creative and critical elements should be around 75% / 25%
So basically you graduate with a complete work, and hopefully connections to get it published.

Hiring your own grads out of school is something that places like University of Phoenix do so that they can boost their numbers on graduates that are employed in their field and make themselves look better than trash. Most universities will hire their own students during their studies (TAs and RAs) or sometimes as Post-Docs, but they're not going to directly hire them especially for a tenure track position. If you want to get hired at a university you should either go to a different one for your PhD/post docs, or you go out and do a bunch of stuff before coming back there.

April
Jul 3, 2006

This isn't reddit, but checks a significant number of BWM/BWL checkboxes. These geniuses get pulled over for acting like dumbasses, "feared for their lives" and decided to file a complaint at the police station - while fully armed & wearing sunglasses & balaclavas. Needless to say, the police did not respond favorably. The cherry on the batshit sundae, however, is this:

quote:

On his Facebook page, Baker said he is “currently facing three misdemeanor charges [and] had $4k in property stolen.” The Detroit Free Press reported his charges as breaching the peace, failure to cooperate with police and masking his identity by obscuring his face in the station.

“I refuse to ask for money, but it is certainly needed,” Baker wrote, before adding he would accept donations in bitcoins or other cryptocurrency.

“But the fight goes on in any event. We’ve been doing this for a few years now, but I know my 24-year-old a– is only just getting f—ing started,” Baker wrote on Facebook. “The fight for true liberty is eternal, because perfect freedom and harmony is an asymptote, and you all and I have a lot of work to do.”

ETA: forgot the link like a heavily armed dumbass: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...daily202&wpmm=1

April fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 11, 2017

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I work financial services as well but europe not us anf Wow you guys have some hosed up title creep.

Any yahoo at a bank branch being a vice president has been a thing so long it has been a joke since forever

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/26103/your-charlotte-bank-vp-title-doesnt-really-mean-much/

quote:

This is Charlotte, so if you’re not a banker yourself then you probably live next door to one. Chances are, they’re a vice president.

Before you start to feel inadequate about your career, you should know this little poorly kept secret in our city’s corporate culture: Being a bank vice president doesn’t really mean anything. Except if you’re not one.

In most industries, being a vice president generally means you’re in control of a big piece of the company — like being VP of operations, or VP of finance. But in a bank, that’s not the case at all.

A lot of bank employees move up the chain from assistant vice president to VP to senior vice president without their job changing significantly. There’s often no raise, no bonus and no perks associated with the title change. It’s more of a sign of longevity with the company than of growing prestige, according to a number of current and former bank employees I spoke with.

“Half of Charlotte is a vice president,” one banker told me.

Check your LinkedIn and see how many connections list vice president of a big bank as their current position. I had nearly 9,000 show up in a search.

Title creep began in the 1970s when banks were much smaller and more regional. Instead of paying big salaries, banks could give away promotions. The titles served the bank’s purposes, too. Clients feel much better when they’re speaking to a vice president. It conveys credibility.

In reality, “It’s a sign of middle management,” said Tony Plath, a banking professor at UNC Charlotte who has been a VP plenty of times himself.

That’s easy to forget if you’re not immersed in the culture.

Back in 2012, part of the reason it made such a big stir when 33-year-old Greg Smith wrote a scathing New York Times op-ed about the culture at Goldman Sachs was because he was a vice president. CEO Lloyd Blankfein said at the time that Goldman had 12,000 vice presidents, or roughly 40 percent of the company.

The percentage likely isn’t as large at banks like Bank of America or Wells Fargo, which have many times more employees and large retail presences. Wall Street is a different animal, where moving up the ranks to managing director does signify a larger paycheck and more responsibility.

But if you are in a big bank, you think about it and talk about it. It’s almost an inside joke when you bring it up with a banker. In general, bank employees are quick to say people aren’t hung up on titles.

“I don’t think people get the same sort of juice out of it as they did a few decades ago,” one banker told me. “Your reward comes by what you achieve. I don’t think having a title really correlates with that anymore.”

Wells Fargo said the bank uses titles to “recognize team member’s scope of responsibility, leadership and influence, sustained performance, and technical or professional expertise.”

Bank of America said in general, “the decision to promote someone to a VP or SVP is based on their contributions to the company, experience in their role and demonstration of our values.” The Charlotte bank uses a sophisticated band system to sort employees, where Band 0 is Brian Moynihan, Band 1 are his direct reports, and so on down the line. Vice presidents tend to fall in Band 4 through 6, which in an employee network document the bank called “a critical level consisting of those who are really the frontline managers for the enterprise.”

Edit:

April posted:

This isn't reddit, but checks a significant number of BWM/BWL checkboxes. These geniuses get pulled over for acting like dumbasses, "feared for their lives" and decided to file a complaint at the police station - while fully armed & wearing sunglasses & balaclavas. Needless to say, the police did not respond favorably. The cherry on the batshit sundae, however, is this:

ETA: forgot the link like a heavily armed dumbass: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...daily202&wpmm=1

Gone unmentioned in most stories about these guys is that they did this in Dearborn, MI which has the largest Muslim population of any other city in America. I just can't look past that and I wonder if they were trying to make some kind of anti-Muslim statement with their actions that backfired/was lost when they were arrested without being shot?

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 11, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Out of curiosity, how easy is it to switch from US finance to European finance? Do you see it happening at all or a lot? Been thinking about a major change in my life and moving to China or Europe would be just the ticket.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Out of curiosity, how easy is it to switch from US finance to European finance? Do you see it happening at all or a lot? Been thinking about a major change in my life and moving to China or Europe would be just the ticket.

Depends on what you do. I see way more american consultants of various types than acually joining firms below actual super high level (ie within 2 levels of the ceo) so maybe try that route?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Consultant eh? Think they will pay super well for me to basically reading the stock trading thread out in meetings? I feel like I could do that in any language.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Consultant eh? Think they will pay super well for me to basically reading the stock trading thread out in meetings? I feel like I could do that in any language.

I dont work ib so might be different thete. But the big management consultancy companies provide half the staff for most group hq's. Think Bain, Deloitte, KPMG, Mckinsey etc might be worth investigating. And yeah, they pay stupid money to people to sit back and go "but have you thought about scalability" or whatever bullshit is flavour of the month.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's WAY too much research, slow down there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Yeah it's ridiculous, at my place you don't even get "Manager" in your title unless you have multiple teams reporting to you, and "C-level" is literally four guys at the top (of a company with about 30k employees). Mind you there's about two dozen NEDs who get paid >£100k each for a couple of days work a week rubber-stamping said C-level's pay but that's a rant for another forum.

Related - heard today a guy I used to work with has just found out one of his staff has been buying thousands of pounds worth of electronics from the company's office supplier and selling them on. I hesitate to call it fraud or embezzlement because that's a level of sophistication this guy didn't even have, he was literally just ordering them and putting them, still in their boxes, up on eBay under his own name on an account registered to his company email.

The way he was found out? Went on holiday (two weeks in Barbados - not bad for an office manager...) and my mate logged into the account to order some printer paper and wondered why there was an order for 12 iPhones, for an office of ten people who were issues new phones a few months ago.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5tannk/i_own_a_taxi_because_of_uber_i_do_not_make_enough/ posted:

I own a taxi. Because of Uber, I do not make enough income from it to pay for it's expenses. Should I file for bankrupcy? (self.personalfinance)

The taxi was my side source for income. I have a regular day job. However, due to the rise of Uber, I am no longer making enough money from the taxi to pay for the expenses. The main expense of the taxi is paying off the medallion loan ($2800 a month) that is needed to own and operate the taxi. The only main expense is paying for the insurance ($700 a month). It is even harder finding a driver to employ for the the taxi. I am paying for the expenses of my taxi from my other job. I am fairly well off (make 90,000 a year). I am married with two adult kids living with me (one still in college), in-laws living with me, own my house and own 3 cars. I can afford all my bills, have a savings account, no credit card debt, and have money saved for retirement. However, due to the expenses of the taxi, I can't really save any money anymore.

What should I do? File for chapter 13 bankrupcy? Other options? My son is makes a decent living wage as well, but I do not want to include him in this in any way. He currently lives rent free with me as a dependent, but is mostly independent outside of the housing and insurance.

Thank you for any advice!

quote:

The value when I got it was 900,000 that I cosigned with my cousin. We split up with the two taxis we have (after we paid off the loan for the first one that we got in 2004).

The value of a medallion now is less than 100K.

quote:

I have to pay monthly until it is completely paid off. The cost of a medallion is 450,000. My plan was to pay it off in 15 years.
Speculation? Check. Mixing money and family? Check. Being burnt by putting all their eggs in one basket for a hilariously long timeframe? Check.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Sundae posted:

People still hire tenure track professors and not just endless swarms of adjuncts on term contracts?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I love these dead gay forums :allears:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I finally just voted 5. *wipes a tear away*

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

lmao amazing

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

This might be the post of the year, and only in mid feb

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

holy poo poo :eyepop:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Haifisch posted:

Speculation? Check. Mixing money and family? Check. Being burnt by putting all their eggs in one basket for a hilariously long timeframe? Check.

Doesn't seem BWM, just bad with luck. Sounds like he's been running a successful side-business for going on 13 years and got screwed over by a shift in the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I bought some Bitcoin.

Just a little bit.

• Locked thread