Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

I think they're probably going to bite off more than they can chew at some point with their live action adaptations, but apparently it's not happening yet.

Probably Tim Burton's Dumbo Featuring Will Smith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

:lol:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

21 Muns posted:

Probably Tim Burton's Dumbo Featuring Will Smith.

Actually it was just reported Will smith backed out of it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Actually it was just reported Will smith backed out of it.
That's good. One time he didn't pull out and ended up giving Jayden to the world.

He probably backed out to do Collateral Beauty 2. Will Smith's career is starting to like Nicholas Cage's at peak debt.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Wouldn't he have made vaults of money from suicide squad?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Will Smith have a good reason to back out: Bad Boys For Life.

Also Jaden is a cool dude.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Wouldn't he have made vaults of money from suicide squad?

I find it hard to believe that someone like Will Smith doesn't have enough money to retire whenever he wants to

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chris Pratt in the next Avengers.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Word is the Scarface remake remake is getting a rewrite from the Coen Bros

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Word is the Scarface remake remake is getting a rewrite from the Coen Bros
I'd prefer it if they directed it too, their producing efforts haven't been all that great. Their The Ladykillers remake was decent, but I heard their remake of Gambit was horrible and got a really limited release.

A proper Scarface remake should take plenty of time to mock the kind of idiots who think Tony Montana is a good role model.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd prefer it if they directed it too, their producing efforts haven't been all that great. Their The Ladykillers remake was decent, but I heard their remake of Gambit was horrible and got a really limited release.

A proper Scarface remake should take plenty of time to mock the kind of idiots who think Tony Montana is a good role model.

Hey man he came into the country with nothing and ended up super rich and full of blow, the American dream!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Casimir Radon posted:

A) Bad Santa

B) I don't think you can save those guys. Walter white and Gordon Gekko are role models to some people.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

A) Bad Santa

B) I don't think you can save those guys. Walter white and Gordon Gekko are role models to some people.
I didn't realize they did that.

Maybe not save them but have fun at their expense.

Can someone give me a non-spoilery explanation of why Hail Caesar was so divisive? I wasn't able to catch it at the theater.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

I didn't realize they did that.

Maybe not save them but have fun at their expense.

Can someone give me a non-spoilery explanation of why Hail Caesar was so divisive? I wasn't able to catch it at the theater.

It was mismarketed so people had the wrong ifea going into it, and even if you're into it it's kind of a niche subject, handled tongue-in-cheek. Watch it then check the thread here about it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I would have loved to see Hail Caesar! but for some reason it had a limited release over here. I think it only aired in the arthouse theatre of the nearby city.

They advertised the hell out of it on television though so I have no idea what was up with that.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Young Freud posted:

So, who greenlighted this apparently serious drama with Arnold Schwarzenegger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBrkK-ZnI0

Seeing serious old man Arnold just makes me want him to have another go at being Mr Freeze.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Mierenneuker posted:

I would have loved to see Hail Caesar! but for some reason it had a limited release over here. I think it only aired in the arthouse theatre of the nearby city.

They advertised the hell out of it on television though so I have no idea what was up with that.

Hail Ceasar has a lot of good jokes but the plot connecting them all isn't very good, tbh. It's like a series of sketches about 'golden-age' Hollywood with a mediocre mystery plot in it, and the other major throughline, the Studio executive guy's character arc, didn't really land for me either. I think a lot of the comedy in it was genuinely really good, though, so it's a mixed bag.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I really like Arnold going for non action roles now. I really liked Maggie and hope Arnold continues to choose non gimundous action starrers.
It's good when actors play against type. Like how awesome it is to have Liam Neeson be a badass action grandpa after being pegged to dramatic roles when younger.

I would also like Mads to do comedy. Maybe a rom com. "This summer, can geeky nerd supreme Mads win over the high school crush of his dreams by challenging her jock boyfriend Chanimg Tatum to a rap battle now that they are middle aged"

Mads
Channing Tatum
Ariana Grande
Dame Judi Dench
Dame Helen Mirren
Ian McKellan
Patrick Stewart
Neil Patrick Harris
Ice Cube
And Michael Shannon as MC Chill

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 11, 2017

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm assuming by Mads you mean Mads Mikkelsen? He has done lots of comedy, its just all in danish movies. They're all really good though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AlexF posted:

I've seen John Wick 2 five times now (working on the German dub and all...) and it didn't get old yet. Quite the opposite. There's so much stuff happening and not explicitly spelled out that you'll pick up new things with every viewing. Without spoilering anything: I still don't know how you even begin to put together and then shoot something like the last set piece.

We also got a bump in rating. Part 1 was 16+ and part 2 will be 18+ in Germany (very much comparable to NC 17 stateside), so you all get to look to forward to much more close race face shooting.

They haven't even announced a release date for it here in Australia yet:

quote:

The film hasn't been classified in Australia, and none of the major cinema chains have a set screening date for it.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/where-is-john-wick-2-australia-demands-answers/

What the actual christ. :argh:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MrBling posted:

I'm assuming by Mads you mean Mads Mikkelsen? He has done lots of comedy, its just all in danish movies. They're all really good though.

Yeah, I think someone posted The Green Butchers earlier in this thread and he recently had Men & Chicken

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MrBling posted:

Adam's Apples is fantastic. I'd link to a trailer here but none of them do a good job portraying the dark comedy in that movie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Awesome I should check them out then. Thanks.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I want Jerry Seinfeld to start playing villains

He'd be incredible

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He would have been great as the Samuel L. Jackson role in Kingsmen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

I want Jerry Seinfeld to start playing villains

"Begin"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY7PHXkXOCw

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So last year it was announced that John Wick's Chad Stahelski had been hired for the long in the works Highlander reboot. In a recent interview he talks about how he's basically been given free reign to do whatever he wants with the franchise. He also mentions how bad the stuff that was previously done was with "there was aliens, meteors, spaceships, uh, DNA mutations, terrorists."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Especially when the first film heavily implied a Christian/Methuselah connection as the mythology behind it all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They haven't even announced a release date for it here in Australia yet:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/where-is-john-wick-2-australia-demands-answers/

What the actual christ. :argh:

Maybe I shouldn't be running a movie theatre but if there was a sick new action film out and I could put it up on my marquee and website as unrated I would do so in a heartbeat. "Check out the action flick that censors are too scaaaared to watch!"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Especially when the first film heavily implied a Christian/Methuselah connection as the mythology behind it all.

Hmm, I don't remember that.

I do remember slow rear end sword fighting in alleys as Queen plays

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Hmm, I don't remember that.

I do remember slow rear end sword fighting in alleys as Queen plays

Highlanders cannot fight on holy ground. Ramirez kneels to pray as he is beheaded. The quickening comes from the heavens. Connor is thrust into a Christ pose when he receives "the prize", also from the heavens, which manifests as winged demons. The prize is a way to bring peace to mankind. Methuselah is a 900 year old human being who is known for carrying the Sword of Methuselah which vanquishes evil and comes from pre-history, just as the Highlanders do.

But yeah there were some rad swordfights and songs. I think the John Wick guy could def hit it out of the park.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

Highlanders cannot fight on holy ground. Ramirez kneels to pray as he is beheaded. The quickening comes from the heavens. Connor is thrust into a Christ pose when he receives "the prize", also from the heavens, which manifests as winged demons. The prize is a way to bring peace to mankind. Methuselah is a 900 year old human being who is known for carrying the Sword of Methuselah which vanquishes evil and comes from pre-history, just as the Highlanders do.

But yeah there were some rad swordfights and songs. I think the John Wick guy could def hit it out of the park.

Conner is from the 16th century, significantly after history.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still pissed off that there's no full Queen cover of New York, New York. That poo poo was wonderfully deranged.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Conner is from the 16th century, significantly after history.

But Ramirez specifically states that Highlanders go back that far. I'm not saying Connor was Methuselah, but that Methuselah was a Highlander.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So is 100 Shades gonna make enough money that they don't regret the decision of planning the entire trilogy at once? Or is 150 Shades gonna wind up on TV like Divergent: The Last One?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

But Ramirez specifically states that Highlanders go back that far. I'm not saying Connor was Methuselah, but that Methuselah was a Highlander.

Highlanders are not mentioned in any of the Abrahamic religious texts

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

feedmyleg posted:

They flip flopped on this in the movies vs. the series as to whether it was just an honor/faith thing or whether actual crazy poo poo goes down if they do. But as the series went on I liked that it was less holy ground and more "holy stuff" like Catholic relics or remains of particularly deified people or cemetaries. Fighting where the spirits of past folks are strong or whatever. Like in Final Dimension Mario van Peebles clowns on McLeod and is about to kill him but there's a reaction from the religious artifacts around that leaves him shaken to the point where he can't bring himself to finish him off. They're not on holy ground but rather just in a place where some relics are being stored. I thought that was kind of interesting because in the first movie Ramirez talks about fighting enemies with faith, skill and heart or whatever. So like before the gathering happens are they all just hiding their immortality by being religious figures? Are Ramirez and Kurgan weird exceptions for being so active in world affairs?

tl:dr: the sequel movies might have been more interesting if they went more into the spiritual aspects of the characters beyond the basic Christian parallels instead of the planet Zeist and each flick being so bad the next sequel had to pretend the previous one didn't exist.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Just for the record Ramirez was canonically born in 896 B.C. in Egypt. This is super important because...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

Just for the record Ramirez was canonically born in 896 B.C. in Egypt. This is super important because...

He also taught Connor the secret super-power of feeling the heartbeat of a moose, which allowed him to run pretty fast along a beach for one scene. I do love how that "power" never comes up, ever, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

He also taught Connor the secret super-power of feeling the heartbeat of a moose, which allowed him to run pretty fast along a beach for one scene. I do love how that "power" never comes up, ever, again.

It definitely does, it's part of the prize that you become a telepathic empath.

• Locked thread