Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Haha yep, sometimes he goes into his "looking for balls" animation when there were none to begin with. Nice!

Thumbtacks posted:

i will say the best part of the axe is breaking ki with low stance combos and then swinging some idiot into a wall neck first, I keep demolishing ninjas like that and it's hilarious every time.

This is true. Axe swinging them through doors in the ninja castle was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Fuuuuck these bats in the Caves.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PrinnySquadron posted:

Fuuuuck these bats in the Caves.

You can completely block them. You'll get pushed back a lot less too, so just know where they are and block.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

CJacobs posted:

Thing I just learned: The sneak attack is, for some reason, an AOE. So if there's more than one enemy in close proximity they'll all get hit by it even if the stab doesn't actually land on them.

edit: Also, why does William not carry, like... a lamp. Just pick one up dude they're everywhere, I am so tired of foggy and dark areas.

Its because you can do them on yokai. Which doesnt have the animation. But you to the attack and it does the damage. You just don't get to cool animation on a 9 foot tall demon.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think this game is really right to be compared to Dark Souls now that I've played it a bit. The combat is very different, and the combat is about 80 percent of the game experience. It's got such depth and complexity, but beyond that it also uses a totally different movement system. The physics governing your character are fundamentally different from the Souls games, so most of the time it doesn't FEEL like a Souls game, which is good because instead it feels like Nioh.

I haven't gotten a full mastery over my chosen weapons (axe/sword) quite yet but having played the Alpha and Beta beforehand I think spared me a lot of deaths and made much of the first handful of missions quite easy, because I understood the game's rules. I think a lot of initial "OMG this is so hard" reactions will be as a result of people expecting this to feel like Souls and falling off ledges a lot as a result.

I really like the mission-based structure, but I would like to see a follow-up attempt to create a Souls-like giant interconnected level for the setting, because I think these guys "get" Souls level design, even if they don't actually emulate it very much. The levels are really dense and full of hidden things, ledges to drop onto or hidden paths to find. Even seemingly throwaway stages, like that cool sandy temple zone, have looping paths, upper and lower areas, and so on.

The Silver Mines have my least favorite boss but they feature some of my favorite level design yet. It felt almost Zelda-like, with big open rooms and switches to hit to make paths. So I'd actually say the level design is really strong, with the exception of a certain water level that is just full of dumb bullshit bottomless pits. It's especially bad because not only are these threats to you, they are actually also threats to the enemy, but this means that rather than engaging in the (really fun) combat system, you just knock bad guys to their deaths, losing their loot. You may not even intend to do this!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bussamove posted:

The mid stance kick combo ender is amazing for how much ki damage it deals, and Spear Fall, the high stance combo ender, breaks the game wide open if you can catch someone in a stagger loop with it and if you have a certain armor set. But as always, grapple and Living Water should probably be first priorities.

For added fun, use magic to set up discord stacks and spam Spear Fall to effortlessly destroy anything vulnerable to status effects! Which is almost everything its really pretty silly.

Which armor set is that? Spearfall is ridiculously good, so if I can make it even better, I would like to do that, please.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Boy. This plot sure just bounces off my brain. I have no idea what's going on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bombadilillo posted:

Edward Kelley is trying to take all the soul power to do... I dunno, something. But he has your waifu guardian spirit and that's more important, the take over the world thing is secondary. Also there's a double tailed pirate cat that is used by Hattori Hanzo to tell time. That's all you really need to care about.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Ice Woman boss is slaughtering me none of them have given even close to this much of a problem to me she is literally killing me in one hit/combo with full heavy armor.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What is the pirate cat spirit's name? I think I missed that but he's my favorite part of this goofy rear end story

I wonder what the story was like in 2004 when it was supposedly based on an unfinished Akira Kurosawa script. Because if there's any part of that script left in this game, I can't imagine what it is.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Harrow posted:

What is the pirate cat spirit's name? I think I missed that but he's my favorite part of this goofy rear end story

I wonder what the story was like in 2004 when it was supposedly based on an unfinished Akira Kurosawa script. Because if there's any part of that script left in this game, I can't imagine what it is.

Akira Kurosawa's "Neko Neko Neko!" swept the alternate reality Oscars

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

CJacobs posted:

Edward Kelley is trying to take all the soul power to do... I dunno, something. But he has your waifu guardian spirit and that's more important, the take over the world thing is secondary. Also there's a double tailed pirate cat that is used by Hattori Hanzo to tell time. That's all you really need to care about.

Hattori Hanzo nonchalantly pulling a cat out of his jacket is my favourite moment in video games so far this year.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harrow posted:

Nekomata, and he owns.

Weird Sandwich posted:

Hattori Hanzo nonchalantly pulling a cat out of his jacket is my favourite moment in video games so far this year.

Amen.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Some of the later guardian spirits are pretty dang cool. The spider is great for item discovery and doesn't completely suck in combat and the badger (?) kind of wrecks poo poo. He's adorable too!

Also I finally figured out backstabs. If you lock on and can do a normal attack your icon turns red but if you can do a canned animation attack it turns a SLIGHTLY DARKER shade of red. You need to get real drat close to trigger a stealth kill.

What a weird UI decision.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I finished up Hino-Enma this morning and after reading horror story after horror story in this thread (and elsewhere on the internet... and from friends also playing) turns out she really wasn't that bad?

I mean, it wasn't a one-shot, it took about five attempts going in blind. But she has all of 6 different attacks and they each have an answer, and she doesn't really get anything new as the fight goes on besides taking to the air and getting one new attack in the process (technically two, but that paralysis scream is exactly the same right down to the audio cue and dodge timing).

You just can't over-commit and have to take her down with only a couple attacks each opening. Her two melee combos don't move her forwards at all, only the wing combo does that (and said wing combo has a big opening for easy attacks), so dodging away but staying in the front isn't a huge danger to you. As soon as I learned to react to the wing attack that drops a pool she had nothing else that could hit me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

This game got a lot better for me when I just stopped paying attention to ki pulsing and actually played the video game instead of trying to play DDR while my enemies took swings at me. I don't get what the point of "you never have to stop attacking" is when big enemies don't get stumbled and normal sized enemies can just block your combo after the first swing of it. Speaking of which, that's starting to become really annoying as the game goes on. Every human boss I've fought so far just auto-blocks combos so I have to do one hit, dodge away or walk around them or whatever, and repeat, and every fight takes forever.

Yeah, there's a fine line here. There are two situations where I find that notnhaving regularly Ki pulsed bites me in the rear end: when fighting a group, and when I deplete yokai's stamina and dont habe enough ki to beath them down before they regenrate.

I think it's a really good balance between ki pulsing being required and being an effective incentive for continuing to hone your techniques.

Also, I've been making an effort to olay this game sober, because it requires a lot of attention, but last night I got drunk af and stumbled into the spider lady boss and killed her on the first try, which is the first time I've killed any boss on the first try.

I did miss at least one kodama, though and didn't mean to trigger the boss. Oops.

Edit: ^ I think a big part of what's making this game so hard for some people, me at least, is the iframes being in a different part of the dodge than in bloodborne. I feel like I've finally reprogramed my reflexes to be used to how Nioh dodging works, and now I'm dodging so much better than I was for the firdt dozen hours I was playing.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 11, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Welp, finished the main story, epilogue, and every side mission... except the two post-game impossible boss fight missions that seems to be there to encourage you to play NG+ missions in order to level for them. (Has anyone taken down those duos with just their post-game character?). I also played a couple of the NG+ variants of early missions.

Verdict: Game is fantastic. Like I said earlier in the thread, I do wish the difficulty was tuned a little higher (The NG+/Beta enemy placement during NG would have taken it 90% of the way to what I wanted. Some trickier move sets on bosses would have sealed the deal), but I think I'm in the minority and the game is still great as is. The approach to NG+ is really awesome as well. Not just remixed levels, but also new mechanics to play with and improve as well. Plus it's designed in such a way that you'll have to explore standard NG abilities that you didn't learn the first time because you need every tool available to stay alive. Really forces you to explore the full depth of the combat (and it is deep.)

Bombadilillo posted:

Cliffnotes:

William was saved from death as a child by a guardian spirit born from his prayers, it makes him immortal in the Dark Souls sense and also guides and absorbs a magical stone called Amrita. The stones grant magical power and are being used for war in Europe by an alchemist called Edward Kelley. William thought they were just a monetary thing, so when he learns their true purpose he refuses to continue helping find it. As a result, he is imprisoned and his guardian spirit is stolen so that Kelley can find Amrita himself. Japan has a lot of it, so Kelley goes there and William chases in an attempt to rescue his spirit.

Then, by pure chance, Williams chase for Kelley causes him to rub shoulders with every notable historical figure from the period and participate in every major battle and political plot from the era. Also, all those historical events were actually powered by amrita, spirits, and demons. Who knew?

There's an in-depth recap and some biographies that are unlocked as-you-go in the map menu.

(It doesn't matter very much though.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://i.imgur.com/W5gsOv3.gifv

Pulling off a high-five with a co-operator is the most satisfying thing in this entire videogame

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I just realized that Amrita is basically Essence from the Ninja Gaiden series. You either use it to charge up your more devastating attacks (overkill/ultimate techniques vs living weapon) or empower yourself in some way (recovery/weapon upgrades vs stat boosting).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

With the onmyo magic tree: are the extra levels of talismans (like Talisman: Sloth II) stronger versions, or do they just let you prepare more of that talisman?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

With the onmyo magic tree: are the extra levels of talismans (like Talisman: Sloth II) stronger versions, or do they just let you prepare more of that talisman?

They're the same strength, they just let you prepare more at a time, yeah (by readying both levels, that is).

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

They give you more. But you will still need to slot them if you want more.

Sloth I gives 2, Sloth II gives 2, need both to have 4.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Do talisman buffs scale with magic, or is it just a flat +damage like in dark souls?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Meiteron posted:

I finished up Hino-Enma this morning and after reading horror story after horror story in this thread (and elsewhere on the internet... and from friends also playing) turns out she really wasn't that bad?

I mean, it wasn't a one-shot, it took about five attempts going in blind. But she has all of 6 different attacks and they each have an answer, and she doesn't really get anything new as the fight goes on besides taking to the air and getting one new attack in the process (technically two, but that paralysis scream is exactly the same right down to the audio cue and dodge timing).

You just can't over-commit and have to take her down with only a couple attacks each opening. Her two melee combos don't move her forwards at all, only the wing combo does that (and said wing combo has a big opening for easy attacks), so dodging away but staying in the front isn't a huge danger to you. As soon as I learned to react to the wing attack that drops a pool she had nothing else that could hit me.

I died a bunch but mainly because my spear was doing jack poo poo for damage. She's pretty standard soul bossing but I hate that her spin attack is the hardest to dodge because it comes out of nowhereand feels like a souls game with ninja garden move speed (like 1.25 or 1.5x as fast) Mainly just don't get stunned because it's a high chance you will die

Pretty much guaranteed if you have less than full health

As soon as I switched to axe thee damage change made things undeniably easier

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 11, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh no why did I have to kill the best character :negative:

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Why won't you drop your smithing text? :cry:

I've got so much +Luck.

:EDIT:

In true Something Awful fashion, after posting here I got it in the next two kills. :toot:

Just post here if you have problems guys. It never fails.

Kaldaris fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 11, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Cliffnotes:

William was saved from death as a child by a guardian spirit born from his prayers, it makes him immortal in the Dark Souls sense and also guides and absorbs a magical stone called Amrita. The stones grant magical power and are being used for war in Europe by an alchemist called Edward Kelley. William thought they were just a monetary thing, so when he learns their true purpose he refuses to continue helping find it. As a result, he is imprisoned and his guardian spirit is stolen so that Kelley can find Amrita himself. Japan has a lot of it, so Kelley goes there and William chases in an attempt to rescue his spirit.

Then, by pure chance, Williams chase for Kelley causes him to rub shoulders with every notable historical figure from the period and participate in every major battle and political plot from the era. Also, all those historical events were actually powered by amrita, spirits, and demons. Who knew?

There's an in-depth recap and some biographies that are unlocked as-you-go in the map menu.

(It doesn't matter very much though.)

Is this like Assasians Creed 3. Dude was at every event in history only I have no historical reference?

like I should go holy poo poo George Washington just walked in. But its a Japanese name that bounces off my brain.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bombadilillo posted:

Is this like Assasians Creed 3. Dude was at every event in history only I have no historical reference?

like I should go holy poo poo George Washington just walked in. But its a Japanese name that bounces off my brain.

He probably didn't meet all these important people or participate in all of these big pivotal battles but he did work for Tokugawa Ieyasu and actually did have some meaningful influence on policy at the time, particularly as it related to other foreigners in Japan

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Has anyone died to derrick the executioner? I want to pretend Im part of the gud kids club cuz I first tried him even though I died a dozen times to onryoki and the bat woman and nue and who am I kidding derrick is probably the pinwheel of nioh :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I tried to kill him the 'legit' way instead of using my guardian spirit like the game tells you to on my second save file and got horribly owned for my trouble, if that counts.

edit: For the record, you get nothing for killing him without using your spirit like the game tells you to. Which made me sad.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man, what do I gotta do to get a new charm with Kodama Sense? My old one has 9 defense and I feel like I probably shouldn't be doing new story missions at level 70 wearing it, but at the same time, I gotta find my kodama buddies :ohdear:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just saw this post on reddit explains the influence of the Ki Pulse stat. I certainly didn't understand how it worked, and realize that if I out some points into the stats that affect it, I would be doing much better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/5taaad/skill_strength_and_the_ki_pulse_stat_not_the/

quote:

Hi, I wanted to explain the stat that increases when you level up your Skill or Strength.

We all know the Ki Pulse mechanic. Press R1 when your Ki fills back up.

So its natural to assume the Ki Pulse "stat" improves this directly, eg you get more red to fill up.

That's not what it does.

Normally, when you swing your weapon, your red Ki begins to fill up with light blue ki all the way from the left. When you HIT an enemy however, part of your Ki will automatically be filled up with light blue. This allows you to get more of your Ki back when you have to Ki Pulse instantly.

Essentially it pre fills the bar. Upping this stat will increase the amount of pre fill, the amount of the red bar that is automatically filled with a chunk of light blue instantly, before it starts gradually filling up. It doesn't change the total cost of your moves at all. It allows you to recover faster.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 11, 2017

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Harrow posted:

Man, what do I gotta do to get a new charm with Kodama Sense? My old one has 9 defense and I feel like I probably shouldn't be doing new story missions at level 70 wearing it, but at the same time, I gotta find my kodama buddies :ohdear:

Use divination talismans instead. It is outright worth the investment to have a divination talisman to find stuff. It's not even an expensive investment either.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Anyone know a good place to farm the yokai that drop hanks of hair?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

Use divination talismans instead. It is outright worth the investment to have a divination talisman to find stuff. It's not even an expensive investment either.

How long to they last? I assumed they wouldn't be the best option because they'd be short-lived.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

They last a good while, I want to say 5 minutes each. It has all of the sense passives, so treasure, enemy, and kodama sense will be active when you use it.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I just bare handed parried my whole way through the warrior adept dojo fight, feels good man. Now to practice on tachibana.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Lmao the cowardly turtle guys give you a wedgie if they break your ki

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

How long to they last? I assumed they wouldn't be the best option because they'd be short-lived.

I feel like they last several minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Harrow posted:

It's several minutes and you get 2 I don't think I've ever run out long before the next shrine.