Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

i actually really enjoy any time hard content comes out because you can go over to the reddit and read posts like "i am not a whale and i beat it, heres my team of noctis/noctis/d.fina/lightning/refia/friend noctis with only 800 attack and i messed up the first time because i had three excaliburs equipped but

ah yes, thanks for the heads up not whales about remembering to switch off of my excaliburs from my noctis squad

Sometimes, that's what reading this thread Is kind of sort of like... :shobon:

Cartoon Man posted:

By the way, what's the best way to gear Ling? Maximum squishiness protection?

Muscle belts, and whatever else you can get that will raise her Evasion and likeliness of being targeted.

If you have a Camouflage materia, she's a prime candidate to use that.

If you have the survival dagger from the Type-0 event that's great on her... I didn't get that one because I didn't see the need. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
cleared a few spots

446,079,826 for sexy greg time

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

If you have the survival dagger from the Type-0 event that's great on her... I didn't get that one because I didn't see the need. :argh:

:drat:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Sometimes, that's what reading this thread Is kind of sort of like... :shobon:

Muscle belts, and whatever else you can get that will raise her Evasion and likeliness of being targeted.

If you have a Camouflage materia, she's a prime candidate to use that.

Which is why I've done my best to convince everyone to get the drat Secret of Mana axe.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Well Abraxas on ELT down after 3 rounds, that was straightforward. Most of the bosses were two-rounded except the spider lady who I think I one-shot. Cecil ate most of the boss attacks like a brick wall, except one of the bosses who smacked him with a wind attack for 4200 damage. Ling was great, cured the party of statuses twice, including once on Abraxas, and saved me from ever having to use an Elixir. Just ended up using some Ethers out of the boss fights to top people up, and a Tent before Abraxas.

Happy to finally have a 15% ATK materia.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cartoon Man posted:

By the way, what's the best way to gear Ling? Maximum squishiness protection?

the mog kings crown thats for sale right now, the survival edge from the last event that for some reason reddit decided was bad, some muscle belts, hp+15% materias

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pretty sure this comic is based on a goon player.

(Slightly nws for drawn Luneth buttocks)
https://i.imgur.com/oGXCQ8r.jpg

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 11, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Almost wiped on Abraxas but managed to recover. He was the only hard part of ELT the other bosses went down in two turns with little effort.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
gently caress, I ran ELT and cleared it but somehow I left like, all the equipment off of my WoL. Also his full breaks practically never landed. I'm disappointed in him, and going back to TM grinding.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
No matter what I do, my units are either all out of MP just trying to clear the first boss, or half the team is dead because I had to stop healing to conserve MP. And the second one just instantly wipes everyone with earthquake, how the hell are people clearing this?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

Which is why I've done my best to convince everyone to get the drat Secret of Mana axe.

I'm gonna get it if I can! Should be able to, I have a Randy.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Gigas Axe a great non-TM weapon for Paladin Cecil, if anything.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.

Nuebot posted:

No matter what I do, my units are either all out of MP just trying to clear the first boss, or half the team is dead because I had to stop healing to conserve MP. And the second one just instantly wipes everyone with earthquake, how the hell are people clearing this?

CoD omniveil is super useful for the mass elemental resistance it grants, so if you have her I definitely recommend bringing her along. Other than that the only super unit I have is noctis with a relatively modest atk of 626. After those two I ran it with Cecil, Exdeath, and Refia. My Refia doesn't have dual cast but she was still an all star, if you are fortunate enough to have her with dc she's basically a permanent must run. Then I brought along a super noctis friend with 800 plus Atk and used warp break on everything along with dual meteors for damage, while cod refia and Cecil spent the first round using focus embolden and omniveil. After that they kept healing as necessary

The hardest part for me was making my MP restore items last the distance. I went up the right side but I've heard tell that the left is a bit easier but I'm not sure. If you managed to get the chocolates from the previous levels or the daily special bring those, as they are good for 150 MP a pop and you definitely want to try and save your tent for axabraxis or whatever it's called if you can. Tracking down a hefty noctis friend shouldn't be too tough around here, there are at least 4 or 5 800 some Atk goon friends in my list.

So the short of it is bring a cod and super noctis friend and as much MP restore stuff as you can fit. Once you get to the last dude he hits pretty hard, but having two healers and someone that can cure blind and silence party wide will definitely help. Buffing your guys is also pretty important this event since a lot of the bosses have at least some level of break immunity. Oh and you might want to leave elemental weapons off, except for light and dark ones. End boss has 50 percent resistance to everything but light and dark. What dudes are you running?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think part of the issue with this event is that a lot of people say "i don't have anything that great" but do have a primary dps with over 600 attack, which you can't get without some kind of tm. i have a 600+ attack chiz but thats still not even that great as she seems better for building up chains for someone else, but also i am just gonna run tm macro this entire time as i am sick.

i think any helpful advice for truly hard content you need to assume that around 500 attack or magic is going to be the big dps unit for people with a potted out 6* dps without any tms.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
I brought my A team and an 865 atk Noctis, and completely petered out at Limnad. Fucker was hitting people for 4500 and even said Noctis was barely doing maybe 1/6th of her full bar with Embolden.

ATK+15% and the Trust Moogle would've been nice, but it looks like it's back to Mana grinding for me. :smith:

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Having Ling as a full time mana battery helped me a ton.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

rabidsquid posted:

i think part of the issue with this event is that a lot of people say "i don't have anything that great" but do have a primary dps with over 600 attack, which you can't get without some kind of tm. i have a 600+ attack chiz but thats still not even that great as she seems better for building up chains for someone else, but also i am just gonna run tm macro this entire time as i am sick.

i think any helpful advice for truly hard content you need to assume that around 500 attack or magic is going to be the big dps unit for people with a potted out 6* dps without any tms.

I think you basically have to look at ELT as designed to be whale territory and if you've been grinding TMs you can swim in the waters. You could call it "end game" content but really it's designed just to tax the players that walkthrough all the other content because they're so ridiculously beyond it in terms of gear and units.

It definitely sucks because as noted that ATK 15% is probably useless to the people that can easily clear this stuff now but would be an upgrade to a guy that has 4x ATK 10%s on his 1 Lightning.

It's the suck, but it's not really any worse than the Mana event because you're looking at the same thing there where whales will have a party full of bonus units being carried by their 800 ATK Noctis while the rest of us run 2-3 bonus units we pulled from banners and maybe a friend bonus unit if we don't need a heavy hitter in that spot.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Good point. I don't tm farm but I did manage to save a butt load of moogles to snatch a dual wield which had a pretty massive effect on my noctis. To date it's the only tm I've got, but it sure is a doosey. Your point still stands though cause even with my noctis it was still a pretty tough fight and I highly doubt I could've pulled it off without that dual wield on him.

As for this event, I basically had to treat each fight like a final boss fight and just hope that I had enough MP restoring items to carry me through till the end. I made sure to get focus, embolden, and omniveil off right off the cuff for each battle, which obviously chews through MP pretty drat quick. Also I kept dropping dual meteors on pretty much every guy, so those chocolates were worth their weight in gold.

You do however probably need a fully maxed out 6 star team to have a chance at this event, or at least that's how it looks to me. This doesn't look like a very kind event to people that are still building up their a list stable, and even if you do have some 6 stars they probably need to be the right ones like Refia, cod, and prob Cecil at least to give yourself a punchers chance. I'm hardly an expert though so I could definitely be way off!

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pokemaster #421 posted:

You do however probably need a fully maxed out 6 star team to have a chance at this event, or at least that's how it looks to me. This doesn't look like a very kind event to people that are still building up their a list stable, and even if you do have some 6 stars they probably need to be the right ones like Refia, cod, and prob Cecil at least to give yourself a punchers chance. I'm hardly an expert though so I could definitely be way off!
No, you're on base with this. The Valentine's event was designed to be easier for people who pull the three special V-Day Gacha characters. That means:

1) You need someone with good elemental mitigation
(6* Marie, Cloud of Darkness, Cerius, etc. )
2) You need someone with AoE debuff guard or removal
(6* Marie, Cloud of Darkness, Ling)
3) Break immunities are present, so you'll have to rely on buffs for extra damage mitigation
(6* Marie is the only one with both Protectga/Shellga and can dualcast them up first turn, else it's 5* Charlotte for Shellga or 6* Cerius, Cloud of Darkness and 5* Agrias for Protectga)
4) You'll also need additional muscle to get through undebuffable defensive stats.
5* Cupid Artemios has an 80% ATK/MAG buff that will allow a high stat Noctis, Ace, Dark Fina, etc. to rip through the event..
Outside of that, you're going to have to rely on Focus, Cheer, Leadership, etc. and characters like Delita, Exdeath, Dark Fina, Randi, Ace, etc. that have piercing attacks.
5) Bosses have a heavy weakness to Darkness and/or Light, which are the specialty of 6* Cupid Arty/5* Cupid Luna.
Outside of that, you're looking at 6* CoD, Dark Fina, Exdeath, Primm, DK Cecil, Dracu Laswell, Dangerous Ariana, etc.

Basically, Marie and Cloud of Darkness are amazing for this event. Outside of that, you're a bit out of your league if you don't have at least a couple of good 6* units unless you have the perfect combo of lesser units (Cupid Arty/Luna) that can survive long enough to support Cup Noodles as he conquers everything.

Varance fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 11, 2017

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

Varance posted:

3) Break immunities are present, so you'll have to rely on buffs for extra damage mitigation
(6* Marie is the only one with both Protectga/Shellga and can dualcast them up first turn, else it's 5* Charlotte for Shellga or 6* Cerius, Cloud of Darkness and 5* Agrias for Protectga)

There's plenty more units with team-wide def/spr buffs, but they come at a steeper mana cost due to being bundled with attack stats. Rain/Tilith/Luka get +40% to all stats, plenty of units get Focus or Cheer.

One thing I was late to realize if you're bringing at least one mage is you don't really need to rely on the -aga spells. Their modifier isn't much higher than the -ara level, at double the MP cost. I could have saved a lot of mana dualcasting Thundara, or using Banish from Ramuh for light damage, instead of going whole hog with the expensive poo poo. Up until the MP-draining boss, conservation seems to help if you can't just 2-turn the bosses.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bybus Slago posted:

There's plenty more units with team-wide def/spr buffs, but they come at a steeper mana cost due to being bundled with attack stats. Rain/Tilith/Luka get +40% to all stats, plenty of units get Focus or Cheer.

One thing I was late to realize if you're bringing at least one mage is you don't really need to rely on the -aga spells. Their modifier isn't much higher than the -ara level, at double the MP cost. I could have saved a lot of mana dualcasting Thundara, or using Banish from Ramuh for light damage, instead of going whole hog with the expensive poo poo. Up until the MP-draining boss, conservation seems to help if you can't just 2-turn the bosses.
Yeah, I wrote that earlier, but not sure why I deleted it. Leadership/Cheer/Focus/Cecil's Limit/etc.

Mages can get away with big tier nukes, as most of these bosses have huge MP pools on ELT and you can just Osmose your way back up (via Ramuh/Diabolos, if it's not native).

P.S.: If anyone's still farming the Mana event, here's some farming music for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZSF9_bDa9M

Varance fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 11, 2017

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
My party of Cecil, Refia, Chizuru, Ramza, Exdeath, and Dana's Noctis barely made it through ELT. CoD probably would've helped immensely, but I forgot to put her in.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Went through the event just now... With Gilgamesh as my only base 5 star (and his damage contributions were piddly due to Chirijiraden), I was basically carried by a Noctis as my Rain and CoD did nothing. Beat the last boss with 4 party members dead and Noctis on his last legs, when Armiger managed to charge up thanks to LB crystals from Rain's Counters.
It's nothing too crazy honestly, but unlike other events this wasn't really the fun kinda difficult. So many things just feel outside your control.

Revvik posted:

gently caress, I ran ELT and cleared it but somehow I left like, all the equipment off of my WoL. Also his full breaks practically never landed. I'm disappointed in him, and going back to TM grinding.
It's not really his fault, these bosses seem resistant to Full Break, Undermine and Warp Break, except occasionally allowing one element of them to land.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Pretty sure this comic is based on a goon player.

(Slightly nws for drawn Luneth buttocks)
https://i.imgur.com/oGXCQ8r.jpg

I unironically love seeing the cracked out poo poo fans produce for this game.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Oh hey did you know? If you are lucky enough to have a 6 star composition that can barely scrape by each boss to the final one on the end of this event with a whale goon friend Noctis it doesn't even matter because the boss has an instant kill move that takes two of your units out of the fight and naturally it's going to take out the whale friend and your only unit with full revive.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Holy poo poo, that sucks. Apparently it only triggers on magic which is why I never saw it.

Also I just got 20 Rabites in 5 runs, what is happening today?

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I usually take a crack at the top difficulties just to see how far I can manage to push through them, but on this one I think I'm just going to save the energy and keep farming PRO for candy.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

HGH posted:

Holy poo poo, that sucks. Apparently it only triggers on magic which is why I never saw it.

That would have been fine if it killed my magic users instead of Noctis, I had him one attack from dead. Womp womp I'm excited to see future events further balanced to full whales.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

WebDO posted:

That would have been fine if it killed my magic users instead of Noctis, I had him one attack from dead. Womp womp I'm excited to see future events further balanced to full whales.

well the good news about that nightmare future is that they didnt stick some really overpowered tm behind elite. i know we've been talking about how its sorta silly that they slapped 15% attack in there that people who beat this are much less likely to even have much of a use for, but they could have put a really strong tm back there and then balanced future idiot whale content around having gotten that tm now and progressively making it more impossible

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I finally macro'd my way to my first ever TMR... Black cats hat. She started out at 45% from all the dupes I rolled into her so my useful ones like dualcast and dual wield are only halfway there.
Why they had to put such a lovely mechanic into this game I will never understand.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

HGH posted:

drat I just did 15 runs without seeing a single stupid rabite only for my 16th to give me a whopping 2. Maybe I'll go on a rabite run on the next couple. Haha ah yeah and I'll pull 3 rainbows in a row and they will all be awesome base 5 guys, and then I'll be elected God emperor of earth. No this stupid game doesn't make me a bitter, angry husk of a man why do you ask

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

well the good news about that nightmare future is that they didnt stick some really overpowered tm behind elite. i know we've been talking about how its sorta silly that they slapped 15% attack in there that people who beat this are much less likely to even have much of a use for, but they could have put a really strong tm back there and then balanced future idiot whale content around having gotten that tm now and progressively making it more impossible

But +15% attack is the best most people will have unless they've gotten chizaru, maxwell or some other select TMs? They're already doing it.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Nuebot posted:

But +15% attack is the best most people will have unless they've gotten chizaru, maxwell or some other select TMs? They're already doing it.

Really it's the same with the arena, the people that pay to refresh are the ones that get the best rewards (which they don't need), they also tend to be the all Noctis teams

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah but at least the arena rewards are just pots, which you can get from arena tickets which they hand out in abundance.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
10 slots available for my boosted Cheeze!

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I think the next set of TMs I'm gonna work on after the current set finish are gonna be to make the world's most annoying to fight Cecil. I'm thinking Ring of the Lucii, ribbon, dualcast, and 3 +30%hp. I'll pair him with some decent but not great unit as bait and make them my arena team.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

hamsystem posted:

I think the next set of TMs I'm gonna work on after the current set finish are gonna be to make the world's most annoying to fight Cecil. I'm thinking Ring of the Lucii, ribbon, dualcast, and 3 +30%hp. I'll pair him with some decent but not great unit as bait and make them my arena team.

Skip the 30% HP and give him 3 (if you can) Melody of Life instead. +60% resist to all elements is hilarious.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

NinjaDebugger posted:

Skip the 30% HP and give him 3 (if you can) Melody of Life instead. +60% resist to all elements is hilarious.

I wish I could but I don't have any Garnets. Maybe by the time I get ready to start that farm though.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Cleared some 7d+ offline Goons. 8 slots available. Get some Chocolove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rabidsquid posted:

Maxwell says hi.

• Locked thread